Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,936 Views | 3071 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by AgFlyGuy
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
taking a couple rigs on family trip to Hawaii (big island) next week. 8, 10, and 12wt. Sounds like their beaches are teeming with bluefin trevally which are apparently delicious? They also have giant trevally, and bonefish in the few areas with flats?!

Very little info on the web about fly fishing the Hawaiian islands in general, and the big island in particular. We'll be in the Kona area. Anybody tried it? Figure shrimp, crab, clouser, and needlefish flies should fool something.
reddog90
AG
Idk about fishing in HI, but I've caught bluefin and it was awesome. GT's are epic of course.
RickSawyer
AG
Just arrived somewhere tropical, not known for fly fishing but confirmed tarpon population. Brought an 8 weight and box of all sorts of patterns. We'll see hiw much time I find to explore and fish between fathering.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
hopefully a few of us will have pics of blue water and pretty fish to share next week!
Ayto Siks
Angler's Edge in Houston (RIP) used to have a bluefin trevally on the wall. Can't remember if it was a picture or a mount, but I remember it was a gorgeous fish. Definitely something worth targeting if you can.

This thread could some trip reports.
Newoldarmy
AG
I guess this is the ultimate admission that my poling is still **** .

NW80
AG
That's almost like the "rash" pictures we had to look at in Med school! Some kind of herpetiform lesion on the front of your boat!
sunchaser
AG
I'm going with pink popping cork.....still in the package.
LRHF
AG
Life is short, do more fishing and less poling! (And invite others to help out with the poling duty). Kidding aside, trolling motor has saved me and fishing partner a few times!
Newoldarmy
AG

I'm just uncoordinated AF at this point in my life and falling on a prop scares the hell out of me. I can pole like a champ...until the wind blows!

Edit: we're in Cozumel this week to fish the little flats on the north end. Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow night. Hoping for some good bonefish, but not even saying the P word.

Edit 2: Monday night. We pulled two hooks out and I broke off a good bone in the mangroves. Probably 60-70% clouds and pretty windy. Serviceable and we had a few shots and just had first day jitters. 12# leader is not for big bones in mangroves. We saw a good school of small permit, but we were on top of them immediately and they spooked before a shot.

Edit 3: Tuesday night. Today was still tough as far as wind and visibility (see clouds in pic below), but we managed several bones today and I had a couple of permit shots on cruising fish. We cut way down on errors and made our opportunities count. My stepson was the big winner today, though, with a 21 and 22" bone. Best part was he spotted the fish, cast on his own without direction, and landed the biggest fish.

Newoldarmy
AG
Day three in Cozumel was a bust. Lots of wind and clouds. Frustrating to have every permit see you before you see it. Even the bones skunked us.
Newoldarmy
AG
Day four was another tough day with wind and clouds.

Yesterday, the last day, was great. Good visibility leads to better sightcasting. Who knew?

We fished with Aquarius and I'd recommend them strongly. At one point we were fishing in the shadow of a Mayan ruin on a mangrove island in Rio de la Plata and we were covered up in bonefish over a good sand bottom. Great wading in an unreal setting.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am sure this has been asked before in this thread, but I couldn't find it in the several pages I looked.

I am considering dipping my toe into these fancy fly fishing waters. Is there a combo that is better than the others? Should I try to buy used from someone? My budget is about $300. Plan to use it for reds, also have a standing invitation to go to Colorado and catch bait. I am aware that one rig won't do both well. TFO has a combo that as a 4 and an 8 on Amazon. I can probably borrow gear from my Colorado buddy, so I guess the focus should be on reds. I have zero experience with this. Thanks
Ayto Siks
Love the trigger with the crab fly. I don't know much about targeting them, but you just bumped them higher on my to-do list.

Saw this post on IG the other day. Interesting glimpse into mudding bones:

https://instagr.am/p/Bu515DrjBBl
Newoldarmy
AG
I saw that video. So cool.

I caught two triggers and the first took about 10 shots. The second was about 20 with a crab change as well. Very similar to sheepshead, but they don't spook like sheepies. But, they grab the fly with their teeth and swim around with it so getting a hook set is very difficult.

You actually see the crab in their mouth and strip, but it just pops out. Fun, but frustrating. Sums up fly fishing, I guess.
Salt of the water
AG
Great pictures and report!
Salt of the water
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I am sure this has been asked before in this thread, but I couldn't find it in the several pages I looked.

I am considering dipping my toe into these fancy fly fishing waters. Is there a combo that is better than the others? Should I try to buy used from someone? My budget is about $300. Plan to use it for reds, also have a standing invitation to go to Colorado and catch bait. I am aware that one rig won't do both well. TFO has a combo that as a 4 and an 8 on Amazon. I can probably borrow gear from my Colorado buddy, so I guess the focus should be on reds. I have zero experience with this. Thanks
An 8 weight would be a good starter for the TX coast if you can get your buddy to lend you a trout rod while in CO. For that budget I'd spend 150 on a rod, 75 on line, and 75 on a reel. You may be able to get one of the nicer TFO rods for 150ish if you can wait and shop sales. The entry level rods may make casting become frustrating in any sort of wind.

Another option is to go to Orvis's free casting class where I think they give you a coupon for some gear. Buy the nicest set-up of theirs you can afford.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
It's more for all-conditions and a bit over budget (of course!) but my favorite rig right now is a redington predator 8'3" 9wt with a 10wt scientific anglers line on lamson reel. Bucks the wind like nobody's business. You could scale it down a bit and get the 8wt, over line it with a 9wt line on redington ID 7/8/9 and that would probably be a pretty great rig. The tfo bvk is supposed to be really nice and is $50 cheaper but still puts you over budget with line. You could also get a cheapo reel (there's a $10 or $20 8wt on sierra trading post) learn to palm it and just plan to break off if you ever hook a big jack. That gets you into the game closer to budget and if you like it or get a chance to go somewhere with bonefish you can just upgrade the reel at that point. Just my thoughts
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Hawaii was cool but chasing younguns didn't leave a lot of time for fishing. Got a guide for a morning and caught a goatfish and got followed by a cuda, and dad caught a couple little bluefin trevally and a butterflyfish. Nothing worth taking a picture of. Pretty water everywhere, dad got a taste of throwing a fly in the salt and is now hooked!
LRHF
AG
Trout Camp to Redfish Camp

We spent a month in the Hill country chasing small trout with small fly's in addition to a ton of bicycle riding. After 5 weeks of this business, it was time to make a trip to Louisiana to chase Redfish at my friends camp last weekend!

We stayed on Delacroix Island and launched daily out of Hopedale. We had some interesting weather but were blessed with some periodic sunshine! We didn't hook up any toads but brought home nine keepers.

As we were making our way back to Hopedale Saturday evening, we saw some bright lights heading our way. We powered down and suddenly there was a drone flying behind us. These guys were heading to do some bowfishing at night. Evidently I mumbled something about "Badass redneck ****"

I love Louisiana for fishing but dear lord I-10 East is terrible! As my buddy and his wife set up the winter redfish camp, he had a bearing issue. We elected to swap out the bad tire on the trailer for the newer spare to avoid an issue since I-10 is constantly under construction and without a shoulder in many places.

I may need to shorten the length of Trout Camp and commit to more time in LA this fall!
LRHF
AG
Been a bit quiet around here and all the new OB threads are TERRIBLE. Confirmed a day of bone fishing during a family trip to O'ahu in June! Hopefully this trip goes better than my last trip to Belize with spouse on boat and a terrible guide. Pray for LRHF, I hear The fish numbers are low (compared to typical flats fishing), big bones and they are educated. Need some calm winds for Mrs LRHF! Success or failure, I will share results then see if anybody has a good couples therapist!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Good luck! If it's windy maybe change up your trip and try to catch a peacock bass? Or cancel all your Hawaii plans and spend the week on Christmas Island instead!
Ayto Siks
Edit: Went with a guide today and looked for migratory tarpon near Chokoloskee.

Didn't find any rollers or swimmers. The water was stirred up from constant winds, and after hours of searching, we only managed to find one floater. Got the eat, but blew the strip set.

The slump continues. All the prep and practice for the major leagues went down the drain. Wish I could have had another shot, but it wasn't meant to be.
Salt of the water
AG
Been on a slump lately. Haven't sealed the deal with the fly rod in a while. May need to go whack some dink trout in the lights soon and see if I can shake it off.
LRHF
AG
Short post- more details later

We were lucky to have a day on Oahu to Wade the flats for big bones. We hooked 3 but didn't bring any to hand. The flat is near the Honolulu airport and we basically had a free show of F-22 fighters, tankers and even a C-1 Galaxy fly by.

The first bone was a 6 lb er hooked by my wife. The 12 lb tippet blew up on the hookset, evidently a wind knot or just hit a piece of coral. Next fish was an 8 lb bonefish that I hooked. He ran me Way into the backing. Reeled in some then another huge run. We chased him down as he angled towards a deep area just off the flat. Somehow, he threw the hook after 3 strong runs. Third bone was normal sized and we were fishing along the edge of the flat and he broke me off pretty quick on coral edge. Will post some guide charter links and a few pics but it was an amazing place to spend a day!
Salt of the water
AG
Sounds like an excellent day. How spooky were their bones?
Ayto Siks
The first fly reel I ever bought was an Orvis Encounter 8wt combo back in 2015. One of the guides popped out of the rod earlier this year, but the reel still gets used weekly.

The retrieve is extra tight and sounds like a pepper grinder, and the drag knob can't be turned without a wrench, but the drag is still butter...well maybe not butter...but it still works. Pulled in this shark a couple of weeks ago, and a juvi tarpon yesterday.

Every time I think she's caught her last fish, and another upgrade is around the corner, she comes through and breaks a drought.
up-n-aTm
AG
I dunno....maybe if you don't lay it down in the saltwater, it'll perform better.
Salt of the water
AG
up-n-aTm said:

I dunno....maybe if you don't lay it down in the saltwater, it'll perform better.

You're looking at this all wrong.

1. Dunk starter reel in salt every trip
2. Wait for reel to start grinding like a manual transmission drivers ed car
3. Convince wife you need a new Nautilus / Tibor / Abel
Ayto Siks
I was focused on holding the fish waaaay out in front of me and didn't notice the dunk.
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone looking for a cheap intro into the skiff game? If you picked this up for under 2k it'd be a good deal. Boat looks like it'll shine up alright. Great marsh boat for fishing protected water.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/garwood-gheenoe-boat-mariner-motor-and/6904011731.html
Silky Johnston
I am heading to East Matagorda Bay next weekend and looking to do some fly fishing. I have a 4X4 truck along with a kayak, so I am thinking those will open up my options for fishing spots.

Any suggestions on places to put in and fishing spots?
Salt of the water
AG
Go past 3 mile. Hop coves until you find bait. You can do it by foot but may want the yak for coves with soft mud. Move slow, fish turns and bends in the marsh creek drains. They're usually deeper and hold fish.

This was by 4x4 / foot in EMB.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Salt of the water said:

Go past 3 mile. Hop coves until you find bait. You can do it by foot but may want the yak for coves with soft mud. Move slow, fish turns and bends in the marsh creek drains. They're usually deeper and hold fish.

This was by 4x4 / foot in EMB.

what rod/reel is in that pic? Completed my Orvis 101 class this past Saturday.
dr_boogs
AG
I'm a beginner but aspiring salt water fly fisherman as well.

That's a TFO rod, likely an 8 wt. I have that rod and have enjoyed it, although as as beginner I couldn't tell you how well it feels/handles compared to other more or less expensive rods. I bought it because of price and their lifetime warranty, and experienced salt guys told me it's plenty "fast" to allow with long casts and deal with the wind. No idea on the reel, although it looks good next to that red. I paired my rod with an Allen Kraken reel. Set it up with a royal wulff WFF triangle taper 8 wt. line. Reel and line rec came from the fellas on this thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.