Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,642 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by dr_boogs
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DIY bonefishing is tough but rewarding. We only had 4 full days on South Caicos and arrived just after a spring tide. It took me a couple days to learn my surrounding flats first hand and try to pattern the fish and tides. I spent a lot of time on Google Earth before this trip, but it's never as good as being in the water and a lot of the imagery was dated. I got to explore a lot of undeveloped cays and flats on foot and via kayak, and just spend good time outside chasing fish. I ended up with a few nice bonefish (some to hand and 2 long distance releases...), broke off a baby lemon shark at my hand and landed some trophy cuda. The bonefish I found did not seem picky or spooky, it was just work to find them.

TarponChaser
In my experience the T&C bones are not spooky but they can be difficult to find even if they're not pressured. I think it's because the locals eat them and I don't believe they're protected like in the Bahamas. I was under the impression that bonefish don't taste good but a bunch of the locals on the islands swore they're delicious.
reddog90
AG
TarponChaser said:

In my experience the T&C bones are not spooky but they can be difficult to find even if they're not pressured. I think it's because the locals eat them and I don't believe they're protected like in the Bahamas. I was under the impression that bonefish don't taste good but a bunch of the locals on the islands swore they're delicious.
This must be the case. I was chatting with some other guests in a transport and when the driver heard I had caught some bonefish, he gave me hell for not bringing them back and letting them cook them for me... He also mentioned that locals catch them in nets, and locals fish within the Bell Sound Nature Reserve, and I specifically read online that you are not supposed to fish within that reserve.
TarponChaser
reddog90 said:

TarponChaser said:

This must be the case. I was chatting with some other guests in a transport and when the driver heard I had caught some bonefish, he gave me hell for not bringing them back and letting them cook them for me... He also mentioned that locals catch them in nets, and locals fish within the Bell Sound Nature Reserve, and I specifically read online that you are not supposed to fish within that reserve.

Yeah, they definitely net them. And from what I can gather these "reserves" aren't really policed at all and the only folks who follow those rules are the tourists.
Silky Johnston
I've been looking at getting my first skiff/boat and came across the link below on 2Cool. Anyone know anything about these boats and if this is a good deal?

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2659845
TarponChaser
Silky Johnston said:

I've been looking at getting my first skiff/boat and came across the link below on 2Cool. Anyone know anything about these boats and if this is a good deal?

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2659845

In reality, no I don't think it's a great deal. Those Wingmaster skiffs aren't bad for what they are but the fit & finish aren't great, you're really limited in where you can go and days you can get out because of the size and low sheer. And while they pole pretty well they generate a lot of hull slap. Plus, they're tippy just based on their size and weight.

I don't know what they retail for now but just a couple years ago you could get boat, motor, and trailer (poling platform & push pole holders standard) for like $8K.

Depending on your budget you'd be a lot better off looking at Scott Null's East Cape Fury he's got for sale for $23,500. East Cape Fury listing

Or you could get a Custom Gheenoe LT 25 brand new for about the same as that Wingmaster. And that's less tippy too but you'd still have some hull slap issues when poling.
SabineAg
AG
I've got a buddy with an Ankona Shadowcast he hasn't advertised yet but would let it go for a good price if you're interested
Silky Johnston
I am interested. Do you have any details?
Silky Johnston
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/2016-beavertail-micro.72288/

Seller is willing to go down $17.5K on this BT micro. Any thoughts on this deal?
RickSawyer
AG
Silky Johnston said:

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/2016-beavertail-micro.72288/

Seller is willing to go down $17.5K on this BT micro. Any thoughts on this deal?

I had micro hull #1. Its a great boat, runs okay in chop but wet as you might expect for hull size. Skinny, poles easy, a bit tippy. I sold mine for 15k similar hours without the gos and grab bar... 16-17.5k seems okay for newer hull. Any warranty left on the outboard?
Silky Johnston
About two years left on the outboard warranty.
TarponChaser
$17,500 for that Micro seems a pretty solid deal IMHO.
RickSawyer
AG
Silky Johnston said:

About two years left on the outboard warranty.

Price is reasonable.
SabineAg
AG
2017 center console ankona shadowcast. Real clean actually kept in his garage. Probably has less than 100 hours. My buddy is moving to Dallas from rockport and just won't be able to use it much. Said he'd let it go to a good ag for $10k
Silky Johnston
I'm interested. How soon is he looking to sell? Can I get his contact info?
SabineAg
AG
I don't believe he is in a huge hurry, probably wouldn't actually advertise it till spring otherwise. He said to give him a ring if you're interested: (number removed)

Let me know when you've got the number so I can take it back down. Good luck
Silky Johnston
Got the number. Thanks!
TexasAg2017
AG
Anyone in here have recs for a fab shop around rockport? Finally getting comfortable in the new skiff and I'm ready to make a few changes/additions. Mainly a tab on the platform to install a pushpole caddy and a slightly elevated platform for the front deck. Might see about adding some type of removable rail onto the platform as well but it isn't high on my list.
Duncan Idaho
If you are in the market for a new reel...orvis is updating the hydros line and has the hydros sl on clearance.

139 for the IV and 149 for the V.

And it looks like they are getting ready to update the battenkill line as well. A few sizes of those are on sale as well.
Mark Fairchild
AG
TexasAg2017: No fabricators in Rockport (I live here) best is Blue Streak Fabrication in Corpus Christi, 3209 Rodd Field Rd, Corpus Christi, TX 78414, (361) 585-3960 www.bluestreakfabrication.com.

Did excellent work for me on my Hell's Bay Marquesa, HIGHLY recommend.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TarponChaser
Duncan Idaho said:

If you are in the market for a new reel...orvis is updating the hydros line and has the hydros sl on clearance.

139 for the IV and 149 for the V.

And it looks like they are getting ready to update the battenkill line as well. A few sizes of those are on sale as well.

That's very tempting and I don't even want or have a use for another reel right now.
Duncan Idaho
I was going to order a lamson remix 3 pack for my 5 weight but I picked up a hydros sl with an extra spool for $180.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I picked up one for my 8 wt and one for my 5 wt. I'm wanting to build a 10 wt for my next trip to Belize So I'll be in the market for another reel. At that price it's hard not to get another one. I loved the way it performed on my 8 wt with bonefish and permit
LRHF
AG
Kind of slow around here! Spent some time tying redfish fly's in Houston at Gordy and Son's tonight. These are Borski Sliders. First time to tie with this group but definitely going to do this again next month.

rather be fishing
AG
14 edits! Might be a new record.
LRHF
AG
Trying to figure out how to post from phone without using a laptop and without having a link in post. Thanks for noticing! I would post more if I could figure this bs out!
rather be fishing
AG

imgbb.com
TarponChaser
Keeping this close as a placeholder since I'm headed to Costa Rica next week. Not strictly a fishing trip but I'm going to have the chance to go after roosters, dorado, and even sailfish on the fly. Plus snook from the beach. I'll report back.
Ayto Siks
Well, find any snook on the beach?
TarponChaser
Ayto Siks said:

Well, find any snook on the beach?

Sadly no. The wind blew 25+ the whole time. I didn't really have a chance to explore the estuaries but you have to be careful there. They're full of some huge freaking crocs. One took a surfer's leg a couple years ago. And they like to get out into the surf some too.

One day offshore conventional was meh- just one mahi and a couple skipjack tuna on gear. The next day I was offshore on a 22' Whaler and it was a sketchy run in and out. We trolled teasers to try to bait & switch a sail. Managed to raise one sail but he didn't seem too fired up and ignored the fly.

The rest was just lots and lots of chop. Some expensive boat rides.

Oh well, that's the game sometimes.
TarponChaser
Somewhat made up for my Costa Rica blowout with a couple days in Louisiana. Was supposed to head over on Thursday, 2/20 and then fish the 21st & 22nd but it was blown out badly on Friday the 21st. Howling norther with 35mph winds pushed all the water out of the marsh. But thankfully the Mistress of War & Finance loves me and was cool with me staying an extra day and my fishing partner had the time as well. So we took Friday and drove about an hour and a half into New Orleans, went to the WWII museum (go see the "Beyond All Boundaries" film- totally worth the ticket) and had lunch at Cochon.

On the water Saturday, it was still tough. The wind had kept the marsh all mucked up so visibility was much worse than normal and with the cold temps the fish were hugged up to the bottom so your first chance to see them was a huge puff of mud as they blew out away from the skiff.

My fishing partner stuck this nice sheepy early in the day:

https://instagr.am/p/B85ASq3h6vU

But I was 0-fer as a couple fish spit the hook quickly after the eat. However, late in the day I was able to stick this monster:

https://instagr.am/p/B84w-QiBl7x

It was my only fish of the day but as a PB black drum on the fly at 46# I'm still really happy.

Sunday was still tough. Lots of clouds and higher than forecast winds and some really snobby fish but I still stuck this nice bull:

https://instagr.am/p/B89GvPYB0iO
LRHF
AG
Hauled ass out of Houston, did some appropriate social distancing and currently rigging up fly rods and drinking beer on Delacroix Island, LA. We've got some shrimp and grits for dinner! Fastest trip to southern LA ever, wish us luck!
AgFlyGuy
AG
Hope the water has cleared up some. Was there a few weeks ago and it looked like Choc milk. Did manage to sight cast a few near the Delacroix Hilton.
LRHF
AG
Found some nice water in the Biloxi marsh. All slot reds, netted 7 on fly's. Ran close to the gulf but water was super muddy. Maybe some pics later in the week. My fishing partner enjoying his new Lost Cape EVO X!

We launched out of Hopedale and lots of social distancing being practiced, nobody allowed inside the store.

End of the road on Delacroix Island.

My fishing partners new boat, East Cape EVO-X! This boat poles like a dream AND handles chop really well. heck of an upgrade from a late 90's Pathfinder.

The captain enjoying the view from the bow somewhere within the Biloxi Marsh. We stay on Delacroix then trailer over to the Hopedale launch for the day.

We didn't catch anything big but definately the right size for eating. This guy ate a borski slider that I tied a while back at a fly tying social here in Houston.

This guy took a small crab pattern.

I do a lot of catch and release but not when catching slot sized redfish! Rule #1 compliant.

LRHF
AG
It's raining outside and we are all under the dreaded quarentine. Before the world stopped, I slipped down to the Houston fishing show and picked up some supplies from SightCast. Tied a few Redfish Cracklin today, maybe some crabs tomorrow. SightCast makes some really cool tying materials, check them out if you haven't already.

Hope everybody is doing well throughout this really strange time. Hope you SOB's don't run out of good whiskey!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.