Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,673 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by dr_boogs
TxAG-010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When are you going?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
No Sir! You and I can find fish without going to Fla.!

Those must be some very directionally challenged bonefish & permit.
BKClark
AG
I can touch it, but that's about all

Salt, I would recommend staying away from kits, usually there's a bunch of stuff in there you will never use. Figure out what you want to tie and then just buy the material you need.

lot's of recipe's on the interweb
Salt of the water
AG
First week of July. Hopefully everyone clears out after the 4th and the rest of the week isn't too bad.

BK
I usually buy just what I need, but I put together a list and found a kit that had about 10/12 of the materials I was looking for.
RickSawyer
AG
Low Country Journal posted up some cool footage of fishing the floodtide.

https://vimeo.com/162272144
BKClark
AG
Paul Puckett is a friend of mine and last summer when I was in Charleston, Doug and Paul took me out to fish the flood tide. We went to bar and all of a sudden it was "we gotta go". Drove to the ramp, launched the boat and ran down the river. We were looking at that dry grass, ten minutes later it was flooded and we started fishing it. In an hour the tide was too high and the day was over. Back to a bar to kill more beer and eat oysters. Had one fish miss the fly and that was all we had a shot at. Total time on the water was about 2 hours.

So very different from down here where the tidal influence is minimal.

Anyway, got the t-shirt. Not sure I'd make a dedicated trip over there to fish.

Paul's Art

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Very cool. I dig his work.

TxAG-010
AG
I fished in Charleston a couple years ago when A&M opened the season with South Carolina. We started early in the morning looking for reds around oyster beds and didn't have much luck. Our guide kept checking the tide while we were out and we ended up getting lucky and had a flood tide late in the afternoon. So we ended up staying out and and caught a few fish in the grass and had many more opportunities. It was fun hunting them in the grass!
Edit: I may have already posted this picture on this thread but I can't remember.
RickSawyer
AG
That fish with that mustache is a win every day in my book. You and NW80 both have the mustache game won.
Salt of the water
AG
Could use some help from yall. I don't like the way my wing looks on my crazy charlies. I've tried bucktail and craft fur, but I want something that looks fuller without being bulkier. Any suggestions or tips on tying a better wing?

Kalebcs
Maybe try some of the hair from the lower part of the tail, so that it will flair a little more. I've never tied a Crazy Charlie, but I use that technique on my Clousers when I want them to pulse when I strip vs. stay strait and sparse.
NW80
AG
Palmer a wrap "behind" the wing and it'll stand up more. Play with it though because you can over do it.
BKClark
AG
You can do as NW80 suggests. I like calf tail for the wing on this fly. Also don't trim the ends all the same length, make your cut up front.

HTH
Salt of the water
AG
I did a few wraps behind the craft fur one to make it stand up. I imagine that that one will flow better in the water.

I've been haphazardly trimming the wing to make it more "irregular" once the head cement dries since I'm out of the tips of the buck tail. This one was still drying.

Is the calf tail somewhere between bucktail and craft fur? That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the pointers!
NW80
AG
Yes, "Kip Tail" is not as stiff as bucktail and stiffer than craft fur. The original recipe calls for "kip Tail." That material should "behave" better for you. I use craft fur for tails and Clousers.

While you're at it tie some "Gotchas." In fact one of my favorite Redfish flies is a Clouser tied in a "Gotcha" pattern.
Also, let me reiterate what BK said. Don't trim tails or "wings/beards" after you've tied the fly. Keep it staggered.
BKClark
AG
Kip tail is also a shorter and kinkier fiber, so it looks really good on smaller flies and you can usually find it in lots of colors. For this fly, I would stay away from craft fur because it is too limber and will look flat in the water

Some buck tails have nice kinky hair at the tips that you could also use

Another tip for you if you are going to use synthetics is as follows:

Cut the length of material that you are going to use, Then roll it between you finger tips and your thumb to get the stagger.
This will give you the stagger on both ends, trim one end off and tie-in. This will preserve the stagger on the other end and give you a more natural look.

HTH

Go to Drew Chicone's website and subscribe to his monthly e-mail. It's free and he has good tips and always does a SBS on one of his flies

http://www.saltyflytying.com/
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Did somebody say Kinky?

BKClark
Salt of the water
AG
Thanks guys, keep the tips coming. I'm learning a bunch.
Salt of the water
AG
Whipped up some redfish crack. Going to try and find some salt water this weekend and maybe a fish or two if they haven't been pushed too deep by all the runoff.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
That will fish.

I can't get out until Sunday and I think it's supposed to rain more.
Salt of the water
AG
Yeah Friday afternoon through Saturday evening looks like the first decent weather window we've had in a while.
RickSawyer
AG
Fishing Port O'conner tomorrow morning!
Ayto Siks
That's a great pic. One thing I love about fishing is the variety of unique settings. Flats, marshes, beaches, mangroves, etc. I haven't done any significant marsh trips, but that pic and the flood tide vids look cool.

I picked up a new combo (another Kingfisher paired with a TFO) last weekend and took it to the beach. I struck out on Sunday, but went back on Monday morning and caught a shallow snook and a trout.

There were lots of cruising snook:

A nesting osprey supervised:

Hopefully I can get back out there soon and be more efficient on the sight-to-catch ratio.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Pretty cool shot of that snook. Certainly debunks the notion that you've got to make long casts in the surf. Hell, you're probably better off wading out and casting back towards shore.
AGricola08
AG
Anyone know any good guides around Galveston/West Bay? We have used Steve Soule and like him, but he is booked the particular weekend we had in mind.
RickSawyer
AG
Boom shakalaka! Off to find tails!

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Anyone know any good guides around Galveston/West Bay? We have used Steve Soule and like him, but he is booked the particular weekend we had in mind.

Try Jarid Malone or Baron Boyette.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice.

Jacks rarely get any love but I'm of the opinion that if they were a little more discriminating in chasing after flies they'd be much more highly sought after. The get big, they run & fight like hell, and they hit a fly like a freight train. And when they get after a popper they absolutely explode on the surface.

Hell, a giant trevally is essentially a super-sized jack (They're both part of the caranx family of fishes) and people fly thousands of miles to places like Christmas Island to catch them.

Salt of the water
AG
When the tug is the drug it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I've got an odd desire to chase nearshore Bonita with a 5 or 6 wt.
Centerpole90
AG
This thread depresses me now. Still can't find time to wet my keel.

Have to drive to Htine tomorrow.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
This thread depresses me now. Still can't find time to wet my keel.

Have to drive to Htine tomorrow.

If you're around Sunday and the weather cooperates I'm looking at seeing if I can't find some jacks around the Surfside Jetty. I do need a hall pass from the rib though.
AGricola08
AG
Thanks for the info. Going to reach out to them and see how the calendar shakes out.
Ragoo
AG
There is a beautiful 18hxp on mbcforum.com located in Houston too.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
There is a beautiful 18hxp on mbcforum.com located in Houston too.

That gray color is slick.

quote:
find me an 18HPXV for not 43K and not 1000 miles away

It's only 35k and not 1000 miles away... It's exactly what you asked for. It's a sign that you need to buy it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.