Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,664 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dr_boogs
Ayto Siks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New YETI product making the IG rounds?

https://instagr.am/p/BHr0VWsAnb4
Centerpole90
AG
26, Thanks for the pics, and encouragement, on the SeaDek. I just ordered some sheet mat'l to do the exact same thing on my console, although it's not as compound as yours is. Fine work!

That snook isn't laying out on my bow, although I hope to have one there this summer. I've read Port Isabel South Bay, Brownsville ship channel, and a few other spots talked up and seen some pictures of conventional tackle snook; now I just need to make it happen on the fly.

I was talking about that yeti whatever it is that's making the rounds on insta today. WTF is that, a six pack holder?
TxAG-010
AG
Let's be real here...you could probably fit 3 longnecks with ice in there!
RickSawyer
AG
No pictures today but I fished some lights from 4:45 until sunrise and had the time of my life then when the sun scattered the fish I tied on a bass popping fly and managed another 3 specs on top water. Saw a big black drum waiving his entire tail out of the water twice and missed him twice and my twin brother had a big spec break him off... All standing up in a kayak. Incredibly sore and my thumb is destroyed from trout teeth.

Feelsgoodman.jpg
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone need a new skiff?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5683621648.html
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Anyone need a new skiff?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5683621648.html

I know the guy selling that. It's a beautiful sled.
RickSawyer
AG
Speaking of skiffs, anyone realize that there are two basically brand new Yellowtail 17's on 2cool at the same time? Kinda strange...
Salt of the water
AG
Couple of hells bays for sale in TX also. I can't understand almost 40k for a tiller skiff.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5687461399.html

My guess is that the oil industry is forcing the sale of some of these high $ skiffs.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Couple of hells bays for sale in TX also. I can't understand almost 40k for a tiller skiff.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5687461399.html

My guess is that the oil industry is forcing the sale of some of these high $ skiffs.
I saw the Hells Bay.... I guess there is someone out there that wants to pay that for the boat but when you can get a brand new BT Micro for 21k you gotta really be a Hells Bay fanatic.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I saw that, talked to the wife about them, she didn't think I could afford one AND a divorce.
CSTXAg92
AG
quote:
Speaking of skiffs, anyone realize that there are two basically brand new Yellowtail 17's on 2cool at the same time? Kinda strange...
Here's one of them... definitely a loaded rig.

http://2coolfishing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1986010
CSTXAg92
AG
quote:
I saw that, talked to the wife about them, she didn't think I could afford one AND a divorce.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I think one of the Yellowfin skiffs was won in a tournament.

On the Hells Bay skiffs the price they command can be pretty crazy. They're just seen as the best-in-class and it's hard to argue with that. I've seen Hells Bays that were in absolutely crap shape that needed to be completely redone still go for $20K.

As far as skiffs for sale in Texas I'm sure oil prices have something to do with it but I think there's also the fact that there are probably tons of guys who have bought poling skiffs without a real desire to use them as intended. A poling skiff simply isn't the best option to run super skinny or stupid fast with multiple anglers just to get to a spot and wade or to drift fish. So guys spend a lot of money on a boat that doesn't really fit how they fish so they get disappointed in them and sell them.
NW80
AG
I think JT's sold the Chittum.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
I think JT's sold the Chittum.
That was quick!
RickSawyer
AG
I have a real tough time with the Chittum's Spider casting platform. I can appreciate the functionality but, my opinion here, it ruins the lines of the boat. Flame away...
NW80
AG
I agree Rick!
AggieGunslinger
AG
Being the chitty caster that I am I can just see my guide having to actually cut me out of that thing after I wrap my fly line around it a few time before the firat cast.
NW80
AG
I'm not sure I like a casting platform at all. Had one on my Beavertail and never used it. Don't have one on the Ambush or the Glide.
Maybe some sort of "leaning rail", but not a true platform.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
I'm not sure I like a casting platform at all. Had one on my Beavertail and never used it. Don't have one on the Ambush or the Glide.
Maybe some sort of "leaning rail", but not a true platform.
I have the truest of platforms! Cooler with a towel over it!

NW80
AG
When I need one, I use the same!!!
BKClark
AG
Rick, you'd love that spider casting platform if you were sitting out on the ocean in two foot waves casting at tarpon. The last thing you want to do in that situation is to have to stand there and fight the boat to stay on your feet. Been there done that.

I've spent a number of days in one of those and absolutely loved it. Also gives you a place to lean back and rest. You can lay your rod across it with all of your line right there so when it's time to make a cast it's easy to pick up and go. Really reduces the fatigue from standing on the bow all day.

Agree that it looks strange and certainly not needed when poling around in calm water, but it is functional!

JT, did sell the boat, thankfully he made the deal the day before I called him or I would've had a tough decision to make.

One of the benefits of having a casting platform is that it makes the person on the bow hold still and not be tromping all over the front deck while you are trying to fish.

I personally don't have one though
Centerpole90
AG
If I didn't have a Yeti to stand on I'd be ashamed and cover it with a towel too!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Rick, you'd love that spider casting platform if you were sitting out on the ocean in two foot waves casting at tarpon. The last thing you want to do in that situation is to have to stand there and fight the boat to stay on your feet. Been there done that.

I've spent a number of days in one of those and absolutely loved it. Also gives you a place to lean back and rest. You can lay your rod across it with all of your line right there so when it's time to make a cast it's easy to pick up and go. Really reduces the fatigue from standing on the bow all day.

Agree that it looks strange and certainly not needed when poling around in calm water, but it is functional!

JT, did sell the boat, thankfully he made the deal the day before I called him or I would've had a tough decision to make.

One of the benefits of having a casting platform is that it makes the person on the bow hold still and not be tromping all over the front deck while you are trying to fish.

I personally don't have one though

I was going to post the exact same thing.

That platform really doesn't have a ton of use when redfishing the marsh or even the majority of flats in Texas but I can tell you it's a lifesaver when you're staked out for tarpon on the beach in 2-foot rollers.
Centerpole90
AG
When Paschal was changing boats he had me come down and see if there was anything that I wanted for a Mav. He had a pretty cool tarpon cage, but I just don't want to fish on days that I'd need it. That and I really didn't want to a) move my trolling motor b) drill the addt'l tiedowns for my deck. He fished a wide variety of clients and some require a lot of support even on a flat Gulf according to him.

I did buy the low casting platform because, well, I guess I wanted it. The higher I can get the farther I can see and the farther I can fall. Laugh all you want, I fell off my Yeti last year and thanks to the seadek on the top and the rubber feet underneath I got enough leverage on my way down to fill the boat with drinks and ice. The cooler went on way, I went the other. Some of the drinks actually missed the boat and made it into the water. What was most impressive - it was glass calm!

Talent I tell you.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
When Paschal was changing boats he had me come down and see if there was anything that I wanted for a Mav. He had a pretty cool tarpon cage, but I just don't want to fish on days that I'd need it. That and I really didn't want to a) move my trolling motor b) drill the addt'l tiedowns for my deck. He fished a wide variety of clients and some require a lot of support even on a flat Gulf according to him.

I did buy the low casting platform because, well, I guess I wanted it. The higher I can get the farther I can see and the farther I can fall. Laugh all you want, I fell off my Yeti last year and thanks to the seadek on the top and the rubber feet underneath I got enough leverage on my way down to fill the boat with drinks and ice. The cooler went on way, I went the other. Some of the drinks actually missed the boat and made it into the water. What was most impressive - it was glass calm!

Talent I tell you.

Salt of the water
AG
I end up poling most of the time on my noe. I got used to having the push pole as a third leg/support to keep me steady.

When I went out with the guide in Florida and we hit up the Atlantic side, it wasn't pretty. I almost went in the drink a couple times. I think the worst was some flats next to deeper water. The chop was breaking on the sand bar and I couldn't even stand on the platform. A basket platform like the one on that chittum would have been nice for that half hour.
RickSawyer
AG
Kayaked lights in upper bay again and found a school of reds in the lights. Put one into the boat before the school pushed off then spent the next two hours catching specs. Lovely way to start the day.
TxAG-010
AG
Ok guys I'm heading to the keys in a month. I've been casting away practicing at all distances so hopefully I don't blow my chances to often. My question is, what size crab fly do y'all think I'll be throwing? I've been casting with every size raghead crab I've got just trying to get a better idea.
Salt of the water
AG
Two rat reds today. One of them on a slider/crack fly I tied up using some of my huskys hair dubbed. Going to have to whip up a few more of those.

Felt good to snag a few. It'd been a while.
Ayto Siks
I've never thrown a crab fly in the Keys. I'm sure they work just fine; just never had a guide that used 'em during my limited experience. I'm curious about the answer to your question though.

Nice work Rick and Salt. I walked the beaches looking for snook the other day, but only saw stingrays and the weird fish below... I usually try to add new species to the list, but I didn't recognize it and decided to leave it alone. Got jabbed by a leather jacket and boxfish recently and didn't want to discover a new sting. Turns out it's is a polkadot batfish. He has leg-like fins on the bottom and walks more than he swims:

BKClark
AG
Sea Robin?
Ayto Siks
I think it's a polkadot batfish.
NW80
AG
NASTY! Looks like that **** those people catch out of the Bayous in Houston !!!
Salt of the water
AG
Lost my fly box!

Now I'm starting from scratch, but at least my new box should look better now that I've got a year of tying under my belt.

First up was my go to: tan and olive crack flies.

What are some top picks for yall if you were working on stocking a box for the bay/marsh?

Some more on my list in no particular order:
Chart / black crack flies
Simple crab flies a la BKClark in tan and white
Gold spoon flies
White and brown shrimp sliders
Chart and white clousers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.