Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,457 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice fish!

Did the front drop the water level much? Water clarity looks decent in your picture, West Bay?

I'm debating on going tomorrow even though the forecast says 30% chance of rain. Don't know whether I want to take the gheenoe and pole some marsh for reds or drive down the beach and wade into the bay looking for trout.
RickSawyer
AG
Water clarity was spotty but lack of sunlight was a huge factor. The pass south of Karankawa went way sandy so booked it to back lakes but everything was drained. Still plenty of water in the system after the front but high tide was 7am and water was emptying quickly as we left...
RickSawyer
AG
Centerpole90
AG
I had a couple Christmas gifts that were waiting to be opened when we could celebrate with some friends after all the holiday traveling was done.

Going back: I called Chance Yarbrough after Thanksgiving and put in my order for a couple fly boxes. One I was giving to Quaid94 for Christmas and the other was for me from my very cool Mother&Father-in-law. Had a great conversation with Chance, talked a lot of fishing, and he got down what I had in mind; redfish on one, tarpon on another. The tarpon was for me so I asked if he thought it was possible to somehow incorporate my skiff in the drawing. He asked me to send a picture, but understandably he made no promises other than he would try. He got it done, and needless to say, I was beyond happy with the result.

Here are the fly boxes,

Here's the picture I sent him,

and at the expense of reposting - the cool thing it that the picture was taken on this amazing day that CPjr and I shared jumping tarpon this this summer. Can't think of a better commemorative to remind me of what it's all about every time I reach out to pick another tarpon fly.

Here's the link to Chances page with some samples of his fly boxes.

http://www.chanceyarbroughart.com/#!other/c6x3

RickSawyer
AG
That's great! Love both boxes!
BKClark
AG
Both are outstanding. WOW. Not sure I'd ever put those in the boat!!!
Centerpole90
AG
I was so jealous when you walked out of BayouCity Angler with those boxes and I was waiting for these!
RickSawyer
AG
Getting the moment you shared with your son captured on the box should cure that. What a special piece!
Centerpole90
AG
Oh, it absolutely does!

Also, Chance didn't send out two empty boxes either - there was a very nice surprise in each one...

I've always been that guy who had something nice and put it on a shelf, didn't use it, and as a result probably didn't enjoy it was much as a I should. As I've aged I've come to appreciate seeing something classic or quality put to it's intended use, not abused, but used of what it was meant to do; be it a vehicle, rifle, handmade knife, whatever. I keep my fly boxes stowed in my big boat bag and pull them out and put them back accordingly so they aren't very abused. I had intended to use this box to arrange and store flys here at the desk, but I really think it needs to be - or deserves to be - on the water.

Ya'll can see it in person at the 2016 OB FlyFisher's Get-Together; wherever and whenever that may be.
RickSawyer
AG
Looking forward to that!
Salt of the water
AG
Nice boxes! He nailed it with the skiff.
Centerpole90
AG
Nice rig.

https://instagr.am/p/BAetJXDo3i8
RickSawyer
AG
Something is wrong with me when I see picture that and think, "jeez, I would love a greatful dead abel on my shelf."
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Just added that stream to my Instagram.
AggieGunslinger
AG
That is why if I became one of those guys in The Drake writeup, it would be on saltwater. No chicks in Montana wearing that while fishing in October.

BTW, still pissed that I can't load the SK episodes on my Plex server to view later.
Centerpole90
AG
You are watching it on the computer aren't you?
cheezag03
AG
Nice backckast
AggieGunslinger
AG
No, the production quality is too good to be on my laptop screen, it deserves a big screen.

After my earlier comment I emailed Brine media about it and actually got a reply from Nicky Runnells. They weren't aware of the change and got it changed it back. Nicky actually mentioned that he knew a lot of Aggies and had seen the thread on here.
Centerpole90
AG
Nicky is a good dude. He's an SMU Pony and fishes a lot with a common friend who is an Ag '98.

I thought I posted this on the tarpon thread but I don't see it in my imageshack account; maybe it got lost in the big imageshack crash a couple months ago. I apologize if it's a repost. Anyway, that's Nicky standing and telling us what he did to 'em from his new Silver King Mav HPX this summer.

BKClark
AG
Dude, you are really dropping your pants
Centerpole90
AG
Dang winter. It all seems so far away and long ago I forget its just right around the corner.

You should see me when I drink.

Fixed it.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:

Ya'll can see it in person at the 2016 OB FlyFisher's Get-Together; wherever and whenever that may be.

I'm in.

You still thinking April or May time frame? Any ideas where?
Centerpole90
AG
I would love for this to happen - and that's certainly the time frame I could attend in. Only thing is I just can't set a plan and commit 100% with a work schedule I know you understand. May also brings a HS graduation in our household and that adds another level of complexity.

That said I'd love to explore some new waters - so let me know when and were and I'll do my best to be there.
Salt of the water
AG
If spring 2016 is as wet as 2015 I'm sure there will be a few days to get away and fish.

HS graduation in May = trips to CS in the fall right?

Going through Houston doesn't add to many miles to the trip back to the RGV. Shouldn't be tough to sneak in some marsh time.
BKClark
AG
I'll put in a plug for Port Aransas. Go north fish marsh, go South fish shorelines. Plenty of places to stay, eat & Drank. Somewhat centrally located
Centerpole90
AG
I second the motion.
Salt of the water
AG
Thirded. Plenty of places to rent down there on vrbo and the off season rates aren't bad.

quote:
I'll put in a plug for Port Aransas. Go north fish marsh, go South fish shorelines. Plenty of places to stay, eat & Drank. Somewhat centrally located

I like that Drank gets the capital D!
RickSawyer
AG
Fishing Grand Isle, LA with Jarid Malone feb 8 & 9th and could not be more excited! Anyone whipping the flies out here?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'll be there the 18th-20th.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
I'd be interested if schedules work out. I don't have any good experience to contribute being a newbie and all but I do have access to a nice pathfinder in Island Moorings that gives me a straight shot into the ship channel.
Salt of the water
AG
Driving home from work yesterday I saw that this last front blew a bunch of water out of the bay. Wish I could get out and scout my favorite marsh now that the water level is low.

Hopefully someone is out there enjoying this cool clear day.
BKClark
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BA5-mmqOy0u

It was good yesterday. I love this low tide
Ragoo
AG
Anyone know a texas guide that runs maverick? I'd like to book a fly trip with my dad this spring but would like it to double as a test ride on a maverick.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Anyone know a texas guide that runs maverick? I'd like to book a fly trip with my dad this spring but would like it to double as a test ride on a maverick.
Baron Boyette

His website

His boat
Ragoo
AG
Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.