Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,973 Views | 3071 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by AgFlyGuy
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anyone have a Sage Motive? I want to upgrade my setup and looking for a new 8 wt in that price range. I know Sage makes great products but curious on thoughts of this particular rod.

That's their $500'ish rod, right? IIRC, I heard that the Motive is essentially the same rod as the Xi3 which was replaced by the Salt as their high-end rod. If so, that's a great rod.

If you're looking in that range check out the Scott Tidal, the Motive, and you can hunt up clearance deals on the Xi3 in that range too. I just bought a Hardy ProAxis-X in 8wt on clearance and it's a phenomenal rod IMHO. Balanced with a new Tibor Everglades.
Kalebcs
quote:
Anyone have a Sage Motive? I want to upgrade my setup and looking for a new 8 wt in that price range. I know Sage makes great products but curious on thoughts of this particular rod.

I literally almost typed this same statement the other day. I too would like to know thoughts on a Motive. I need to upgrade and I also need to buy an 8wt setup for my best friend as a wedding gift.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
anyone been out in galveston bay lately? - i had a trip planned for Monday, but hearing the tides are super high.
Tides are VERY high. Its been strange. Marina by the house has been under water on a weekly basis. I havent been out. Maybe try and move further south toward Port O'Conner if you can swing it?
Salt of the water
AG
Flood tide Texas! I've seen reports that the reds are very deep in the marsh with the high tides and they're chomping on crabs and glass minnows.

Here's a handy link for tides. It shows you not only the predictions (what most sites have) but also the measured tides for whatever date range you pick.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stations.html?type=Water+Levels

For instance Galveston high tides the last few days were predicted as as 2 ft over MLLW right now but actually ran a little over 3 ft high.
Kalebcs
Who all on here ties? I started prepping for my pending bonefishing/honeymoon trip to a currently undisclosed location today. They list about 174,638 patterns to bring. I'm sure not all are needed. I'm starting with the easier stuff and working my way up. Gotchas, Clousers, and now sliders. I tied up some Borski's Bonefish Sliders tonight and one actually very happy with how they turned out. However, I didn't have yellow eyes like the pattern calls for, so I tied them with metallic. Now I'm used to Reds, and Reds honestly could care less, but I understand Bones can be picky. Of the guys who have fished for bonefish, what say ye?
Salt of the water
AG
No first hand knowledge for me, but hopefully I can fix that this summer.

I always hear that keys bones are the most wary, and Mexico and Bahamas bones are much more willing.
Ayto Siks
I have limited experience, but I don't think bones are too picky. They're hard to see and spook easily, but I think there's a lot of patterns bc they'll eat anything that gets to the bottom. You just have to make longer, quieter casts. I'm curious about what others have to say on the topic...
bigredfish
Kalbebcs: Bonefish, like redfish, can be skittish, spooky, and picky about what they eat. It depends on the destination, size, and their mood that day. Banana bones tend to be less picky and aren't as spooky as say fish in the 6-8 pound class. The larger they get the more wary they become. Fishing pressure enters into it as well. If you fish a flat that sees lot of pressure the fish can be extremely hard to interest.

There are a number of patterns in my book, Texas Saltwater Classics that work well for bonefish. The Cactus Shrimp and Mr Pinky are two that come to mind. Small Clousers work well. I caught two bones last October on Clouser Minnows stripped in long, rapid strips.

If your favorite fly fishing store doesnt have the book, I have a few author's copies available.
Congratulations on the wedding and good luck with the bonefish! Greg

Listen to The Outdoor Cooking Show on KPRC 950 AM Sunday afternoons from 5:00 - 6:00 PM or download our podcasts from iTunes or www.theoutdoorcookingshow.com
TxAG-010
AG
Just like fishing in the Brazos River...at least that's what it looks like! Jungle Tarpon
Salt of the water
AG
Report of the fly-fishing portion of my Saturday fishing trip below. I'm trying to improve my writing, so any pointers on better or more entertaining reports are welcome.

Went to Bryan beach to fish the surf with my neighbor early on Saturday morning. We were having trouble cast netting any mullet at daylight so I figured I'd walk back to the marsh between the surf and ICW to see if I could locate any bait. I could see about a 100 yards from the shore that something was popping bait, so I went back to the truck and strung up the buggy whip with some un-weighted redfish crack. Waded out and was pleasantly suprised because the first 20 yards or so was hard sand bottom with thick grass mats. Thought I was in for nice wade

Wrong! Pretty soon it turned into calf deep mud. I could still see bait blowing up so I trudged on, one squelching step at a time. When I finally got out to where the bait was popping, and the mud was knee deep with waist deep water. The good news is the grass was patchier and not the solid mats like closer to shore, so it would be somewhat fishable. Posted up with my knees buried in the mud and waited.

The sun came up a little more and I started seeing 1" copper triangles. Tailers! Rooting around in the grass like oblivious redfish vacuums. Lined one on the tail and he didn't spook. Drug it in front of his nose, and he still didn't move. Thought maybe I was just seeing things, and then one of the triangles dipped below the water and re-appeared a few feet away.

Good news: I had found tailing fish and they weren't spooky!

Bad news: They were so engrossed in what they were eating and rooted deep in the thick grass mat they weren't paying attention to my fly!

Changed my strategy and would watch a tailer until he tipped up, and then I'd try and put one in front of him while he moseyed to his next spot. Tough test for my very lacking casting skills (especially from waist deep in the water). I finally got one out just in front of a mover and got the take. Hand lined him in and he was probably 15".

After a few more futile attempts, I decided to go back to the truck and tie on a weighted fly. Re-rigged and slogged back out to where the fish were before, hopeful that with my weighted fly I'd be able to put one on a tailers nose. Alas, the tailers were no more. The sun had climbed up in the sky and the tails had retreated back underwater. The weighted fly was no use in the thick grass so I decided to call it a morning and be happy that I'd notched fly-caught rojo numero uno for 2016.
RickSawyer
AG
Great stuff man! Always enjoy the full story.

Finn Maccumhail
Kalebcs
ADVICE NEEDED:

Every time a buddy get married we buy him a special gift from all the rest of the guys. It's always outdoor themed, usually a pistol, rifle, and one guy wanted a Yeti (I know....).

I'm the best man this time around and I just got my best friend hooked on fly fishing. He went out and purchased a Sage 5wt with an Orvis Hydros reel. He is really loving it! It looks like it's going to stick, so the rest of us think an 8wt combo would be the perfect gift. So, my request from you OB, what pairing would you go with to meet the needs of freshwater bass, the couple trips to the salt a year, and a trip to the tropics now and then? (I'm next in line, so let's set the precedent well!)

Sage Salt with a Tibor right??? Here's the kicker; needs to be in the $600 range for the combo. I know all my personal opinions. Heck, I shop online everyday for hypothetical gear. I have a list a mile long of possibilities, but I'd really like a few other viewpoints.

For reference, I'm leaning heavily towards the Orvis Recon/Hydros SL 9' 8wt combo. I'm a little partial to Orvis and have always received excellent customer service from them. http://m.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=14TJ&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=49052&subcat_id=49054
RickSawyer
AG
G Loomis 7wt Shorestalker (8'6") with a Nautilus CCF-X2 6-8 gets you so close. That rod is great for bass and also does a great in marsh.

I would also highly recommend a Marshfly Journeyman if you want a 9'0". I friggin love mine and at $350 a pop its such great value.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Tough order.

I'd say Scott Tidal at $475 and Nautilus FWX at $325.
Kalebcs
Those are some good ideas. The Nautilus reels are super sweet, but both seem to be a little too pricy to allow me to spend what I need to on rod.
Rick, why the suggestion of a 7wt?
BKClark
AG
Because it's like shooting quail with a 28 ga. Not too big, not too small. A 7 wt can handle the wind on the salt and be stealthy enough for bass on a pond. Will tame large redfish and all but the biggest of bonefish. Much better swing weight than an 8 wt. Perfect rod for the situation you've described.

Thank him later
NW80
AG
Listen to BK! I don't think I own an 8wt any more. I fish 7s exclusively , except on bigger fish. Then I've got a 9,10,11(x2), 12 and a 14. The 7 crosses over so well.
Kalebcs
I was almost considering going the other direction with a 9. I'm just not sure a 7 is up to a 20lb Striper, 8lb bass in the Lilly pads, or a baby Poon in the mangroves.
RickSawyer
AG
BK and NW nailed it. Maybe need a bit more rod for 20# stripers, unsure honestly. I bagged a 15# red on a 7wt no problem but I never had the chance to fish for stripers.

I know BVK's are easy to overlook but it's such a great rod that price point.
BKClark
AG
So, I lean to the sportier side of things. Shoot dove and quail with a .410. Fish with the smallest weight I can get by with without harming the fish. One size doesn't fit all in fishing. Think about what you're going to fish for 80% of the time and go with that. I'm sure you know that, but sometimes people think one rod will/can handle all situations. The exception to my behavior is tarpon. 90% of the time I'm going with a 12 wt. I'm too old to get in protracted fights, but, it still happens.

Noble idea to get the dude a fly rod! I like it.
Ayto Siks
I guess I'm the only one that prefers the 8. I have a 7, 8, and 10 and rarely use the 7 anymore. My philosophy might change if I ever get better at fly fishing, but right now I want every advantage I can get.

The 8 gets fish revived and released faster than the 7, plus the 8 is slightly better if there's mangroves, jetties, coral heads, bridge structure, etc. It's also better in the wind, better at throwing bigger flies, better in the surf, and more reliable if a personal best fish is on the line.
Centerpole90
AG
I could have sworn you had a 9. Didn't you have an underlined 9?

I like the 7 & 8, but usually grab the 7 unless the wind is blowing.
230Ag
AG
quote:
I guess I'm the only one that prefers the 8. I have a 7, 8, and 10 and rarely use the 7 anymore. My philosophy might change if I ever get better at fly fishing, but right now I want every advantage I can get.

The 8 gets fish revived and released faster than the 7, plus the 8 is slightly better if there's mangroves, jetties, coral heads, bridge structure, etc. It's also better in the wind, better at throwing bigger flies, better in the surf, and more reliable if a personal best fish is on the line.
I love my 8. wouldn't trade it.
Ayto Siks
Haha, I thought I ordered a 9 online, but it was really an 8. I probably said I have a 9wt several times on here. The rod says "9' wt 4.5 oz 8wt line" and I never paid close attention. I was gonna gloss over that, thanks for calling me out.
AG81xx
AG

Just got home from Andros Island.
TxAG-010
AG
We need more....
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Haha, I thought I ordered a 9 online, but it was really an 8. I probably said I have a 9wt several times on here. The rod says "9' wt 4.5 oz 8wt line" and I never paid close attention. I was gonna gloss over that, thanks for calling me out.
Cyber bullying is my forte.
Centerpole90
AG
Moar pics and details!!
AG81xx
AG
Fished 3 days out of Mangrove Cay. Stayed at Tiamo Resort. Beautiful place, have to take boat (no roads) to get there, only ten cottages on the beach.

But overpriced; selling themselves as luxury Eco resort. Biggest problem was the Sand Flies. Ate us up. Had to walk the beach to get anywhere, all meals eaten outside, and room too close to mangrove forests. Overall not worth the $.

First day fished with my wife and guide. Caught several decent sized bones. The one in first post was 24 inches. Here are a couple more pictures.

Second day didn't see many fish. Slack tide and tried new places. 3rd day we saw a lot of bones tailing at low tide in the morning. Was too shallow to get boat to them so guide and I got out and stalked them for over an hour. Probably followed them for 500 yards. Felt like I was quail hunting. Because they were moving away from us, my fly would either land behind them or if I casted far enough the line would spook them. Never caught one, but probably the most fun I had. Ended up catching 5 or 6 later in deeper water (where they weren't so spooky) but was not nearly as fun as the shallow water.
Salt of the water
AG
Good report! Thanks for sharing.
Kalebcs
Not necessarily salt, but it's still on the fly. Caught my greatest trophy this weekend!

https://instagr.am/p/BFvCtDHrYtF

Centerpole90
AG
I was going to quote you earlier; 'I'm next'. You don't mess around! Congratulations!
Salt of the water
AG
Congrats for catching the one!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Congrats dude!

Much better catching than I had this weekend down in Rockport. Fished a small "tournament" with the Texas Fly Fishers and the annual Redfish Rodeo. My boat had the 2nd place stringer for total inches of gamefish caught- 40" split between 2 dink trout and one rat red.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.