Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,872 Views | 3069 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by texican08
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Salt of the water said:

How many tarpon do you have to catch before your brain functions well enough to consider form and tactics while you have on one the line? I've already resigned to the fact that my first few dances with the king will be a comedy of errors.
I had a short clip, it was AWESOME, about :20 duration of some rolling fish - line goes tight - fish breaks water....

and the camera turns to me - trout settin' *******. OMG. I don't recall doing that at all, but the video does not lie. Fish was gonzo quicker than you could read this. None of you will ever see that clip.

Trout. Settin. *******o.

I do not deserve to be mentioned with the posters above.
Salt of the water
AG
TLDR Crappy weather, slooow fishing, and I'd do it again tomorrow.

Rather be fishing hit me up because he needed some salt therapy. We picked out a weekend to get together and started keeping an eye on the weather. Unfortunately, as is usually the case in the spring, the weather was not looking conducive to poling a skiff.

We agreed on a beach trip, with the hopes of working in some buggy whip wading, and I roped in some buddies to get a bigger group together since we weren't constrained by skiff capacity. I've had my eye on driving up to lost lake at the mouth of the Brazos for a while, so we set that as our destination. The plan was to meet at Cedar lakes cut on Friday night, camp there, wade fish a little in the morning ,and then drive as far towards lost lake as we could get. I wasn't sure if cedar lakes cut or the mouth of the San Bernard river were still open after Harvey. Information on that part of the coast is pretty scarce compared to Galveston, Freeport, or Matagorda, so we figured we'd just have to find out for ourselves.

As we got closer and closer, the weather got worse and worse. There was a decent little front forecasted to blow in Friday night. We were pretty committed at this point so it was happening come hell or high water (more on that later)

Friday we met up in the evening in Sargent and headed down the beach. The tide was out and we made it down to Cedar lakes cut fairly easily. Unfortunately, the cut was still open after Harvey which prevented us from making it as far up the beach as we planned on. We rounded the corner at the cut and some people were already camped out there. Time for a plan B; a quick gander at google maps satellite view showed a cut through the "dunes" back to cedar lakes. We found a decent sand patch to camp on, unloaded the trucks, and drove back to the surf to wet a line and round up some firewood. The line wetting was not successful but we did find a few decent logs to light a fire.

Eventually we all turned in, some of us in cabs and some of us in tents. At some point, late Friday or in the wee hours of Saturday the storm blew in. The wind was howling and the rain was torrential. I woke up briefly but fell back asleep pretty quickly since I'd gotten properly hydrated while we were sitting around the camp fire.

I woke up Saturday and one of my buddies that was in a tent was now in the cab of my truck. My shoes and a 2x8 I used for cleaning off my feet before getting into my tent cot were gone Odd. I grabbed a flash light and started looking around. Strangely, one of our plastic crates was dragged quite a way away from where we left it. I battled a few thick clouds of mosquitos and finally tracked down my shoes and 2x8. I knew it rained hard, but I didn't think it came down hard enough to cause some flash flooding. I fished out my waders, fly gear, and some mosquito spary and started rigging up while the sun started poking up over the horizon. As everyone got up I got the rest of the story. Turns out the howling wind pushed the tide up on enough to flood our campsite with about 2 or 3 inches of water. The one person that was sleeping on the ground in a tent got a very rude awakening once the flap on his tent gave out. I'm very happy that I was in a tent cot and elevated off the ground.

The forecast was pretty good and we had a nice 2 hours window after sunrise of calm fly fishable weather. We waded, and didn't see much of anything. Explored quite a bit of the marsh and things were very slow. I saw a few glass minnows up shallow and a couple mullet lazing around but no signs of fish actively feeding. It's interesting wading a newly opened natural pass to the gulf. One spot I waded was ankle deep water for a couple hundred feet, and then dropped off into a channel that was chest deep for about 3 feet before sloping back up onto a mud flat. I had to tiptoe to keep from taking one over the top of my waders. We probably could have dredged the deeper channels with flies and scratched out a fish our two with extreme perseverance, but I was not that motivated. (That's the end of the very limited fly fishing part of this report.)

After the wind started picking back up, we headed to cedar lakes cut for some surf fishing. The wind was cranking as the second part of the front moved through, and we got a couple good lightning shows and a little bit of rain. The fish were not cooperative.

We fixed up some lunch, and after striking out all morning, decided to seek some more substantial shelter for the evening. We found a nice spot with some cane stands to give us a windbreak, plenty of firewood and some really large trees washed up for Harvey to shelter us. We set up camp, and fished the rest of afternoon with very limited success. Rounded up a bunch of wood for a big fire, cooked dinner, and settled in for the evening. Saturday night was much less eventful. No rainstorms or flood tides.

We woke up Sunday to a bright bluebird sky and figured it wasn't worth the effort to try and wade fish any. Made a hearty breakfast, packed up, and headed out.

I wish the weather and fishing were better, but it was great meeting rather be fishing! Good dude and solid company. We're going to try again and hopefully can get together with some more fly fishing conducive weather.
reddog90
AG
Sounds like an adventure!
sunchaser
AG
I can't find the poster's name that recommended his father's book "Texas Saltwater Classics." I bought it shortly after that as I have started buying hooks, feathers, hair.....lots of new things.....learning new things...getting better.

I think I have tied three patterns from the book. Attempts 1&2 usually end with a razor blade. The last one I tied is pictured. I wanted to say thank you and I'm glad I have it, It's a really good, well done book.

RickSawyer
AG
Hey, I missed this book. Ordering now.

Taking the Hells Bay out tomorrow with Kbo. Hope we can post a decent trip report but slime or no slime I am just excited to get back out there for the first time in a while.

Thanks for the book rec Sunchaser.
NW80
AG
You ARE getting better!
Hell of a catharsis to sit down and tie....,, ain't it!!
K Bo
sunchaser
AG
It is. As you know we ordered the skiff about this time a year ago for a six month delivery. I had to learn how to cast more than 20' and learn to tie flies in that time frame. My first attempt was Doc's Crack and I'm keeping it around for grins.

The skiff got delayed a couple of weeks and missed Hurricane Harvey and then survived Irma in Florida. Since that time I have been consumed with the rebuild process in Port Aransas and sadly have not been in it on the water although a son has. We are probably going to take a trip to Port Mansfield in a couple of weeks and participate in Centerpole's 3rd Annual Outdoor Board Fly Fishing Get Together. Should be fun. Sponsored again this year by Yeti.....
Centerpole90
AG
^
And that my friends is how a masterfully crafted troll gets started.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
With apologies to "Apocalypse Now"...

..."Hell, Centerpole90 don't fish son."

Especially this time of year anyway.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That being said, Rick has inspired me. I'm taking a mental wellness day tomorrow and gonna go fish.
NW80
AG
And to think my feelings were hurt!
RickSawyer
AG
Kbo and I hopped on them early. Tide was LOW, fish were shallow, beached the waterman and waded. About 10 schools of 5-10 fish tailing but a bit picky. Brought quite a few to hand. Tails dropped and schools dispersed to doubles and singles. Off the water by noon (tide wasn't filling in, actually dropping more...) to pick kids up from school and enjoy some baseball.

Good day. Much needed.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Kbo and I hopped on them early. Tide was LOW, fish were shallow, beached the waterman and waded. About 10 schools of 5-10 fish tailing but a bit picky. Brought quite a few to hand. Tails dropped and schools dispersed to doubles and singles. Off the water by noon (tide wasn't filling in, actually dropping more...) to pick kids up from school and enjoy some baseball.

Good day. Much needed.

Good to hear. I'm headed out there tomorrow and planning on hitting/wading a favorite spot we mutually appreciate. I expect there weren't many others out there today and there won't be tomorrow either.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

RickSawyer said:

Good day. Much needed.

Good to hear. I'm headed out there tomorrow and planning on hitting/wading a favorite spot we mutually appreciate. I expect there weren't many others out there today and there won't be tomorrow either.

Baron, Eric and Clay all had cliets. Merideth was heading out with a friend. Not a bad group if your gonna be fishing that area with four other skiffs...

Text me and I will give ya the low down later.
Ayto Siks
Haven't been able to fish the beach in a while thanks to a red tide in SW FL. I went to see how bad it was a couple of weeks ago, and saw tidelines full of dead fish. Mostly bait and hardheads, but also plenty of trout and miscellaneous fish like lookdowns, spadefish, puffers, etc.

Not sure how the red tide will impact tarpon and snook which should be piling up right now. In the meantime, I started looking at upgrading reels. The Nautilus ccf x2 looks nice.
AggieArcher17
AG
The salt is calling me. Strongly leaning towards hitting the SS jetty on Saturday. Or if the surf is flat as predicted would I be even better off wading with an intermediate line?
RickSawyer
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

The salt is calling me. Strongly leaning towards hitting the SS jetty on Saturday. Or if the surf is flat as predicted would I be even better off wading with an intermediate line?

Saturday looks pretty nice. I would head to the jetty and if beachfront looks nice you can always move down beach road to a less crowded space. You'll have better shots for jacks moving through off the rocks. Have fun!
AggieArcher17
AG
Ok that is what I was thinking! Jacks are my priority if I can find them. Mostly just any tug will do this weekend though.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Midweek fishing is awesome. Had a huge grass flat to wade all by my lonesome. Gin clear water and multiple pods of tailers resulted in multiple fish to hand between about 7:30 and 11am when the tide slacked off.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Midweek fishing is awesome. Had a huge grass flat to wade all by my lonesome. Gin clear water and multiple pods of tailers resulted in multiple fish to hand between about 7:30 and 11am when the tide slacked off.

Sounds familiar! Glad they were still there for ya. Wading into them sure is fun, isn't it!
NW80
AG
RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Sounds familiar! Glad they were still there for ya. Wading into them sure is fun, isn't it!

Rather wade than pole!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Honestly, it's been a long time since I've had such an enjoyable wade. There were like 3 boats that ran by all morning, a couple guys in a big Gulf Coast trolled along the outside bar but they couldn't get to the fish. Hell, Doc's Glide probably couldn't even float skinny enough to get to some of these fish.

Stingrays were super thick but you could easily see them and chivvy them out of the way with my rod tip.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've had such an enjoyable wade. There were like 3 boats that ran by all morning, a couple guys in a big Gulf Coast trolled along the outside bar but they couldn't get to the fish. Hell, Doc's Glide probably couldn't even float skinny enough to get to some of these fish.

Stingrays were super thick but you could easily see them and chivvy them out of the way with my rod tip.

Exactly the same as yesterday. The waterman is skinny but won't float in 3".
reddog90
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Damnit man. Let's fish sometime. I'm boatless but not above wading.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
sunchaser said:

I can't find the poster's name that recommended his father's book "Texas Saltwater Classics." I bought it shortly after that as I have started buying hooks, feathers, hair.....lots of new things.....learning new things...getting better.

I think I have tied three patterns from the book. Attempts 1&2 usually end with a razor blade. The last one I tied is pictured. I wanted to say thank you and I'm glad I have it, It's a really good, well done book.

Will tell him you like it
sunchaser
AG
Thanks....

I tend to tinker a lot on all sorts of things hunting or fishing related. You can really get consumed with tinkering in fly tying. I tied a bunch of Gartside Gurglers. This is from Collared Greens Dad's book called Danno's Popping Shrimp. I tied several of them and then decided to incorporate a rattle in one as pictured. I then went back and did the same thing with a Gartside.

NW80 told me to stop by the Swan Point Fly Shop in Rockport and get some locally tied flys and learn how to copy them. There were several versions of his Crack.....as in it's like Crack Cocaine to redfish. I tend to call it Doc's Crack but for reason that doesn't have a good ring. I need to go back and look at the early pics of steps he gave me. Something like this without some minor tweaking.

Ayto Siks
Anyone have a strong opinion on fishing around the full moon? I've noticed that I can't find the fish or the fish aren't biting around a full moon. The other conditions are perfect and the tide really moves water, but I keep striking out.

I wanted to book a guide in May, but his only open date is on a full moon. Wondering if my experience is random or if there's some legitimacy.
Centerpole90
AG
Why would you risk the werewolves?
Ayto Siks
Meh, I've hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it turned back into my neighbor's dog.
RickSawyer
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Anyone have a strong opinion on fishing around the full moon? I've noticed that I can't find the fish or the fish aren't biting around a full moon. The other conditions are perfect and the tide really moves water, but I keep striking out.

I wanted to book a guide in May, but his only open date is on a full moon. Wondering if my experience is random or if there's some legitimacy.

I am sure someone here will come contradict both of us but I have had similar experiences as you. Mornings after full moon seems like the fish are full and sleepy...
up-n-aTm
AG
While I typically agree that full moons make daytime fishing harder, last weekend was a full moon (actually- it was Monday, but quite close over the weekend). I fished the middle Laguna Madre just north of Baffin Bay. We caught really nice reds and trout without much effort. Game wardens and TP&W fish surveyors told us EVERYONE was catching fish that weekend. It probably had more to do with light winds, but it really was a great trip.
Salt of the water
AG
Full moons are great for sleeping in and doing an afternoon trip.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I love summer time full moons.

For throwing big, black poppers for bass. At night.
TxAG-010
AG
Booked my trip to Belize to chase permit for 3 days! Now we wait.......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.