Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,367 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tough conditions today but despite overcast skies and too much wind a buddy and I managed to find clean water in West Bay and brought two slots to the boat. Tried to find a few more in the back water but the marsh was empty on the low tide and north wind.

To or came in today... Will get some photos of it up soon.
Centerpole90
AG
InstaG FAIL. We didn't know you were out today. We have social media for a reason!
RickSawyer
AG
Dirty, simple, fun.

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
InstaG FAIL. We didn't know you were out today. We have social media for a reason!
Unfortunately the camera and phone stayed locked away today due to conditions...
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/-B_TUZkKwe

Wishin. I was fishin.
Salt of the water
AG
I'm southbound on 77 and free tomorrow until 2.

If you want to scratch the itch badly enough to fight the wind I'd be happy to pole the mav and buy gas.
Centerpole90
AG
I must have just met you on the road. Headed N!!
Salt of the water
AG
Must have. DPS were out in holiday weekend numbers between Driscoll and Victoria if you're headed that way.
Centerpole90
AG
Wedding tomorrow afternoon?
Salt of the water
AG
Yep. Relative of some people that farm out in your neck of the woods.
Centerpole90
AG
Her daddy is my first cousin. Love that young couple and crushed we won't be joining y'all tomorrow. My folks will be there - but life with active and involved teenagers means you have to make sacrifices. Y'all have fun.

And those other farming Ags- their mom is my cousin. I'm connected.
RickSawyer
AG
Here's one for Centerpole90...

BKClark
AG
Wow, that's totally awesome. Great perspective. What's the story, do you know where that is? Water looks deep.

Cool to see those poons just loitering around

Thanks for posting
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Awesome video. They're on a panga so they're probably in Central America somewhere.
RickSawyer
AG
New reel.

Centerpole90
AG
You got a new reel, Ayto got a new reel.....

#whosnext
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Awesome video. They're on a panga so they're probably in Central America somewhere.

The guide is from Tarpon Bar on Holbox so just assuming its filmed there.
Centerpole90
AG
That tarpon vid is amazeballs. I agree w Finn that it's down south because Panga. I've only been able to watch it on my phone and I can't wait to see it on the big screen - but by 2:30 I was pulling for the guy harder than I am for the Ags right now!!

Thanks for posting that. BKC can vouch I've been jonesing for a tarpon fix.
Centerpole90
AG
Texags Holobox trip.

Next Saturday. I'm still packed from ill fated LA trip and passport is in hand.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Texags Holobox trip.

Next Saturday. I'm still packed from ill fated LA trip and passport is in hand.

Just booked two days in LA on Feb 11/12 to fish with Malone and Boyette (upper coast guys). I am down for a Holbox trip!
AggieGunslinger
AG
That vid is amazing. That tarpon took off like a rocket and all the other fish went deep in a hurry!
Ayto Siks
Here's my new 7wt from bass pro (Kingfisher reel on TFO rod). Kinda fugly set-up, but it caught a baby tarpon before I even took the plastic off the handle.

RickSawyer
AG
What a great way to break in some new gear!
Salt of the water
AG
Nice! What kind of tfo?
Salt of the water
AG
No fly fishing or new outfits for me this weekend. I did get a drop top desk I'm working on turning into a fly tying station though.

I need to find a way to organize thread and fur/hair still. Anyone have an organization system that works for your tying materials?
Salt of the water
AG
Double hauled that post. Oops
bmfvet
AG
quote:
Those aerial shots they got were awesome. I don't know that those quadcopter drones are quite cheap enough that I'd want to take on in the bay yet.

When does your marshfly rod get in? I've been interested in them for a while but haven't heard any reports. Do they have any kind of storefront in Houston where you can go feel some rods or are they strictly online?

Check out the Lily camera, may be what you're looking for and the price is reduced right now for preorder. https://www.lily.camera
BKClark
AG
Don't worry about it. You won't keep it organized for long.

Seriously, I keep feathers in one drawer, fur in one drawer, flash etc. in another drawer and hooks in tools in another one.

Some say those plastic bins you get at target work well for them
Ayto Siks
That's an awesome reel, Rick. A work of art.

The TFO is a professional series-II. I think this is what the OB usually recommends for entry level. It seemed a little wobbly today, but I got used to it.

That desk is cool. I need to find something similar for my retired flies and reels.
BKClark
AG

https://instagr.am/p/iSBX0UOy7X
Vintage Seamaster reels
RickSawyer
AG
Amazing Seamaster collection.
Centerpole90
AG
My tying desk is a slightly bigger version of that desk. They make really nice desks because you can just close the front and wife isn't pissed about the mess. However, the feathers that will be on the floor, in the air, up your nose, making a trail between your desk - the beer - and the bathroom; there's not much you can do about that!

I agree with BKC, it's hard to organize all the stuff and when you're tying it's a mess. I use small plastic organizer tubs and when I'm tying something I just put whatever's the current recipe all together. Gallon size ziplocs are nice for feathers and hair patches because they can lay flat and keep everything contained.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Love those Seamasters. I'm a Fin-Nor fan myself. My next goal for poon fishing is to catch a laid up one on my Fin-Nor Anti-Reverse and Scientific Angler System 11 glass rod.
Centerpole90
AG
Dang. Getting from the tine to Cancun is cheeeeaaaap.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Especially now that Southwest flies there direct from Hobby.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.