Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,410 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
road trip? i mean come on, these cant pop up closer?

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/6089328511.html
RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

Y'all must have ESP.... just spent all day yesterday looking. Probably gonna wait a year since the wife wants a pool. But the Sabine skiff has me intrigued since I could double duty it in the lower Colorado and duck hunt out of it as well.

But what you got rick

2014 Beavertail Micro with 30hp Evi etec less than 40 hours, hull number one. Comes with push pole and carbon marine tiller extension. Has atlas jackplate and cavitation plate. Poles in 4-5" water, runs 26-28mph and is pole-able all day without exhaustion.

First one with 17k can have her, regretfully.
Salt of the water
AG
Seafoam!

They show up closer occasionally. A buddy of mine from south Texas has a deposit down on this 17 tunnel. https://houston.craigslist.org/bod/6104405634.html
Ragoo
AG
saw that one too. i have my mind made up on the hpxv though.
reddog90
AG
I am honeymooning in Moorea and Bora Bora this summer. My largest stick is an 8wt crosscurrent with a CCFX2. I only have redfish line at the moment. I think there will be extremely limited fishing opportunities on Moorea, but I might have some spots to wade around the motu we are on in Bora Bora.

This is a biased thread, but do yall think I should hassle with bringing my gear? I'd hate to not have it and see some happy bonefish. But, this isn't a fishing trip and I also don't want to lug my gear across the world and not use it. There is extremely limited info online about fly fishing in Bora Bora, probably because most people just go to relax. Fiancee is totally cool with me bring my stuff, but I'll need to research baggage restrictions on my interisland flights because my CC is a 3 piece. I know there are small black tips all over the lagoon but I might be outgunned with an 8wt. Here is the spot in Bora Bora.

Obviously I wouldn't fish around the bungalows. I can access the south side of the motu via kayak and there is a very popular snorkeling reef right there. I don't mind getting a different line, but I would really like to avoid getting a larger setup right now.

RickSawyer
AG
reddog90 said:

I am honeymooning in Moorea and Bora Bora this summer. My largest stick is an 8wt crosscurrent with a CCFX2. I only have redfish line at the moment. I think there will be extremely limited fishing opportunities on Moorea, but I might have some spots to wade around the motu we are on in Bora Bora.

This is a biased thread, but do yall think I should hassle with bringing my gear? I'd hate to not have it and see some happy bonefish. But, this isn't a fishing trip and I also don't want to lug my gear across the world and not use it. There is extremely limited info online about fly fishing in Bora Bora, probably because most people just go to relax. Fiancee is totally cool with me bring my stuff, but I'll need to research baggage restrictions on my interisland flights because my CC is a 3 piece. I know there are small black tips all over the lagoon but I might be outgunned with an 8wt. Here is the spot in Bora Bora.

Obviously I wouldn't fish around the bungalows. I can access the south side of the motu via kayak and there is a very popular snorkeling reef right there. I don't mind getting a different line, but I would really like to avoid getting a larger setup right now.

Absolutely bring it! Also, I have an extra Hardy Zephrus 10wt never used in a hard case if you are interested.
cheezag03
AG
reddog90 said:

Same here, but 'll be up the lagoon from you at the intercontinental. I'm not a fly guy, but like casting tackle, and we'll have complementary kayaks and paddle boards at our disposal. could go to the reefs or hit the sand flats close to shore. I'm looking at getting a rod that would fold in half and get a hard case at Academy.

We're in Tiahura in Moorea (northern side) and it looks to have better structure than where we're at in Bora Bora, but I claim no knowledge of how to fish there.
RickSawyer
AG
Giant Trevally in Bora Bora....
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Giant Trevally in Bora Bora....

This.

Go ahead and invest in a quality 4pc 8wt. Even if you don't have a dedicated case for traveling with rods & reels a standard 9' 4pc rod goes into a tube that's right at 30". That will easily fit in most suitcases and leave plenty of room. I recommend leaving it in the hard tube if you're going to put it into a suitcase.

Anyway, you'll have opportunities for bonefish, bluefin trevally, and all manner of reef fish like triggerfish, barracuda, jacks, and snapper.

Keep the fly selection simple. Clousers, Crazy Charlies, Gotchas, and maybe some Gurglers for topwater. You're probably not going to get to the prime GT fishing grounds so you won't likely see the bruisers so your 8wt should be fine, just keep a light tippet of 12-16# flouro so you've got a fuse to blow in the event you hook a beast.

Take plenty of leader/tippet material and maybe a spool of knottable wire to try and catch some small blacktips.
reddog90
AG
Rick how much you want for your Zephrus?

Cheezag what month are you going?

Thanks for the replies. I've wanted an 8 wt meridian for about a year but couldn't justify it. Maybe I'll try to sell my 3 pc CC and pick up a 4 pc meridian and some bonefish line. Fiancee probably won't be happy about new fishing gear. I keep my CC in a fancy unmarked 3" pvc pipe rod tube. It definitely won't fit inside a check bag and it would have to count as a personal item.
cheezag03
AG
reddog90 said:

Thanks for the replies. I've wanted an 8 wt meridian for about a year but couldn't justify it. Maybe I'll try to sell my 3 pc CC and pick up a 4 pc meridian and some bonefish line. Fiancee probably won't be happy about new fishing gear. I keep my CC in a fancy unmarked 3" pvc pipe rod tube. It definitely won't fit inside a check bag and it would have to count as a personal item.
next month. You?
reddog90
AG
August. Post up a trip report, have fun.
reddog90
AG
http://www.toothycritters.net/?tag=aitutaki

Found this to be pretty helpful.
Salt of the water
AG
Definitely take gear. If you are under-gunned and get spooled, break a rod, or break some line because you didn't put in a weak link like Finn recommended... then that's just an awesome story.

You may get lucky and find someone who'll trade your 3 piece for a 4 piece.

No need to change redfish line for bonefish line. Redfish line will work just fine. An extra spool and/or a spare fly line may be a good idea if you're fishing around coral though.

And if the possibility of GTs doesn't get you excited... watch this one crush a flip flop fly. If that doesn't get your blood pumping, I don't know how to help.

reddog90
AG
Lol i've seen that and plenty other GT eats online. They're on my bucket list but I never considered catching one on my 8 wt on my honeymoon.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

Lol i've seen that and plenty other GT eats online. They're on my bucket list but I never considered catching one on my 8 wt on my honeymoon.

A couple fishing buddies of mine went to Christmas Island last year- bonefish for miles and not all the GT are monsters. Lots of them can be handled on an 8wt like this one:

RickSawyer
AG
reddog90 said:

$500 bucks and it's yours. Literally never used. I have two identical rods - reason for selling. My go to jack and tarpon rod.
reddog90
AG
That is awesome.
reddog90
AG
Dammit that's a good deal. Let me think about it. Thanks.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

That is awesome.

Yeah, that buddy of mine travels a lot internationally for work (Schlumberger) and he almost always bookends business trips with fishing trips. IIRC, some of the destinations he's fished include Mongolia (taimen), Japan (native trout and saltwater bass of some kind), Norway (salmon, grayling & char), Iceland, France, Italy, Slovenia, New Zealand, South Africa, and of course the UK where he's from originally.

The other dude that went is a little older and his kids are either in college or have already graduated.
Ragoo
AG
SLB buddy based in Houston?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ragoo said:

SLB buddy based in Houston?

Yup- on their main campus in Sugar Land.
Ayto Siks
Just watched that vid.
AGricola08
AG
I was on a sailboat in the Whitsunday islands (off Queensland, Australia).... and literally we would throw 5-6 oz pieces of steak and chicken into the water when the GTs were around and they would annihilate them. Needless to say, they have been on my bucket list ever since.
elnaco
AG
Anybody on here gonna fish the Holy Carp! tournament in Houston on 5/20?

http://www.houstonflyfishing.com/holycarptournament/

RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Anybody on here gonna fish the Holy Carp! tournament in Houston on 5/20?

http://www.houstonflyfishing.com/holycarptournament/

I am not but looks like a fun event. Hope someone does so I can live vicariously through them.
elnaco
AG
I'll be fishing it, I just wanted to see if anyone on here was too. Be good to put some names with some faces. I haven't carp fished in awhile and I won't be able to do much scouting between now and then but I'll give it hell either way.
rather be fishing
AG
I've hemmed and hawed for way too long on a rod/reel purchase, so asking for suggestions.

I want an 8wt rod and reel that will be adequate for saltwater, but 90% of it's use will be freshwater for bass. I'm setting my budget at $350.

Give me ideas.
Salt of the water
AG
The Yellowstone guys still have the tfo bvk in their top 5 for the 8wt shootout (it's been top 5 to them for a while). At $250 it's a great bang for your buck.

That leaves you 100 for a reel and line. I'd troll sierra trading post until something suitable pops up.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-8-weight-shootout-best-saltwater-fly-rods-fly-rod-review-scott-meridian-g-loomis-nrx-sage-motive-st-croix-legend-elite-fenwick-aetos-orvis-recon-tfo-bvk-tfo-impact-echo-base-beaulah-opal-winston-biii-plus-mystic-reaper
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

I've hemmed and hawed for way too long on a rod/reel purchase, so asking for suggestions.

I want an 8wt rod and reel that will be adequate for saltwater, but 90% of it's use will be freshwater for bass. I'm setting my budget at $350.

Give me ideas.

If you could double your budget I would recommend a G-Loomis 7wt Shorestalker (8'6") with a Tibor Backcountry with 20# backing and rio summer redfish. I fish that very combination all over and love the weight and balance of this set up (I run a 6wt line on the 7wt).
Newoldarmy
AG
Sure appreciate reading posts from you guys and feel bad for just lurking.

I tarpon fish quite a bit in Key West and Holbox. Fished both places this Spring and I'm 0 for 2017 so far.

Got a pretty good line burn on my hand in Key West. Probably six bites, two jumpers, and my sportsmanship took over and I released the jumpers at long distance.

Sounds like migratory fish have now landed hard in the lower Keys but my contact there says they're tight lipped with the moon like it's been.

Going back mid June.
RickSawyer
AG
Lets see some pics from the adventures!
Centerpole90
AG
What is the trip to Hotbox like? Any worries traveling off the beaten path? @rollingtraponcompany used to blow up Intagram with pics and had me giving it some thought.
rather be fishing
AG
RickSawyer said:

rather be fishing said:

Give me ideas.

If you could double your budget I would recommend a G-Loomis 7wt Shorestalker (8'6") with a Tibor Backcountry with 20# backing and rio summer redfish. I fish that very combination all over and love the weight and balance of this set up (I run a 6wt line on the 7wt).
$700 for a rod/reel combo makes me sick to my stomach.

I can go up from my $350, but I don't want to.
elnaco
AG
Get a TFO rod. The BVK is a good starting point as salt mentioned. The mangrove is another option that's a pretty good choice. That'll run you around $250. Check the classifieds on any fishing board or craigslist and you could probably find a used one for cheaper. You really should go cast a few rods and see what suits you the best, but if you're just getting started you probably won't appreciate the difference. Since you'll mostly be using the rod in freshwater, you may want to consider a fiberglass rod. You can find those in the $150 range. They'll work on the coast too, but if it's windy you'll wish you had a faster rod.

As for a reel, get an Allen Alpha III. Allen fly fishing is constantly offering discounts so you can easily pick up that reel which retails around $170 for under $150. I use an alpha III on my 8wt and it's never given me any issues. I'm not gentle on it and the drag is still silky smooth. Other option would be to try and find a deal on sierra trading post or look for a used reel on Ebay. I've seen some of the older model Orvis Hydros reels pop up on ebay for around $100 and that's a killer reel at that price.

That combo will put you around the $350 mark if you find some deals. Keep in mind you still gotta buy backing and line though. That's another $100 or so. 200 yards or so of 30lb dacron will run you $10-15. Most fly lines from the major companies will run you in the $70-$90 range. If you want to go cheap on the line, buy the Orvis Clearwater beginner 8wt line. It's an identical taper and weight to the redfish line at about half the price and it'll get the job done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.