Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,690 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is Capt Mason from Rockport any of y'alls buddy?? He took over theflylords snapchat channel today.

They're on the Reds; HPXt representin'.
Sean98
AG
Snapchat is stupid. Stop trolling your children.
Centerpole90
AG
Dude, when you have teenagers - you play defense at both ends of the court.

Besides, it's how I keep up w Silverado lover's hoonage.

To make this relevant here's something from snapchat jr.

https://instagr.am/p/BI40cgNAUq0
rgarza35
AG
We went out with Guide Eric Glass out of South Padre Island on Thursday & Friday, we fished the east and west flats, and small islands of the Laguna Madre from the Arroyo Colorado to the south. The wind was mild in the morning, but after 11:30 the south wind howled. I learned how to perfect by backhand cast 45 degrees across the wind.

Captain Eric Glass

A few pics of the trip. Notice how the smaller redfish takes on a more gray silver look to match the sand bottom of the east flats. The bigger Red fish was caught on the west flats with a darker sandy & grass bottom.

DV04
RickSawyer
AG
A bit late here but better now than never... Wife and I went to Charleston for a little long weekend and enjoyed ourselves greatly. On Saturday we went by the Low Country Fly Shop, great store, highly recommend getting by there, and then Sunday we went fishing with Harris Dudley who I also highly recommend. Great dude and wonderful time in the low country.

The tides didnt fully cooperate but we did find a few fish. I let Steph fish a bit more after a slow morning and that is when she snagged this beautiful 12# redfish sight casting with a ultra light spinning rod set up.

230Ag
AG
any of you guys in need of a spare Hatch Outdoors Finatic 7 Plus Mid Arbor Extra Spool that is Black/Silver?

I have a brand new one that I bought a couple of months ago and never put line on our put it on the reel. Decided I didn't want to go to a different type of line afterall. Mint condition.

paid $225 for it. Looking to get $175 (including shipping within reason) or best offer.

I've also got a brand new fly line pack from Rio that is WF8 F/I line that hasn't been opened. Paid $79.95 - $50 or best offer.

Figured I'd post these here and in the classifieds section in case anyone on this thread gets to fly fish more than me and need some new stuff. I haven't been in months.

PM me or email me at aggie12345678@yahoo.com.

Here's some pics:

TxAG-010
AG
This tropical depression is literally trying to rain on my parade to the Key's this week!!! I'm supposed to be fishing Friday and Saturday and it doesn't look like the weather is wanting to cooperate. Here's to hoping...
rgarza35
AG
WTB- 2 spare spools for Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor IV Fly Reel in Titanium color.

Cross posted from Classifieds
Centerpole90
AG
I finally wore out CPjr on Saturday so that he just sat down. Beautiful day, went originally for the fish that shall not be named, but they didn't cooperate so we harassed the redfish.

I got tickled at one point we were poling along, almost dead calm, between two spoil banks and there was a boat at anchor a bit away but not so far that we couldn't hear them when they talked loud. They were soaking some dead mullet I'm sure. I poled one edge going one way, and then when the water got hazy I moved over a little and made another pass parallel to the first but going the opposite direction. When we reversed course I heard a woman's voice say ' WHAT'S HE DOING? CAN HE JUST PUSH THAT BOAT WHEREVER HE WANTS TO GO?" I couldn't hear the husband's reply, but he didn't like the next transmission - "WELL WHY DON"T YOU PUSH ME AROUND LIKE THAT, IT LOOKS A LOT BETTER THAN JUST SITTING HERE."

I laughed.

RickSawyer
AG
Fished some upper coast lights on the kayak again last night and nailed two over slots and a dozen specs. There was a guy soaking dead mullet for reds and two kids in a duck boat fishing artificials and the fly out-fished all of them, not the first time I have done that at night in those lights... Think I may have helped convert the two duckboat boys. As fir the man soaking dead mullet under a popping cork in a light... May god have mercy on his ultimate pot licking soul.

Getting the beavertail out tomorrow. More to come.
Centerpole90
AG
Lights + yak + fly = success every time.
Ayto Siks
I've been hitting the beaches after work and sight casting at shallow snook. Every once in a while, a school of small jacks will bust bait right at the shore, and if I can sprint my out of shape butt to the chaos in time, it's an easy whip and catch. I missed two schools of jacks last week because my 40 yard dash can be timed with a sundial.

Thanks to the OB, I started looking at the solunar calendar. Tomorrow looks good, so I lined up a guide in ENP. Hopefully there's more to come...

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice work gents.

Meanwhile, it's been raining like crazy when I've had time to go and now that my oldest boy is back in school and started baseball for the fall the evenings are out too.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn,

I quit my job and dont start my new one until December. Bar none best way to increase time on water!!! Give it a shot.

But seriously, I really did so I have 'boatloads' of time. Lemme know when you're free.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Finn,

I quit my job and dont start my new one until December. Bar none best way to increase time on water!!! Give it a shot.

But seriously, I really did so I have 'boatloads' of time. Lemme know when you're free.

Good for you man. The downside to me quitting my job is that I really like what I do and am pretty well compensated for it.

I'll definitely hit you up and happily pole the BT so you can get some bow time back in the marsh where the panga can't go.
Ragoo
AG
That snook is beautiful.
texican08
AG
Cross posting from the Tarpon thread
Salt of the water
AG
My trucks been in the shop and I haven't been able to get out and fish in while. Might finally get on the water in a week or two. Anyone know if the redfish are podding up yet?

Since I haven't been able to fish, I've been restocking my fky box. A couple different shrimp I was happy with below:

Gurgler shrimp:

Krystal flash shrimp:
Centerpole90
AG
Looking good!
Salt of the water
AG
I might be in trouble y'all. There's a 19 ft mexican panga for sale in Louisiana for $3500. A 40-50 tiller and a poling platform would do the trick.

Finn... How rough is poling your 18 panga? I'm guessing the mexican boat is lighter but I'm not sure.
RickSawyer
AG
That'd be a fun boat!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'll refer you to my post on MicroSkiff.com regarding poling a panga.

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/poling-a-panga.40606/#post-320114

That being said, that panga would probably be easier to pole.

If that deal had come up when I was boat shopping I might have jumped on it myself. I'd glass in a rear bench if it doesn't have one, slap a 60-tiller on it and go to town.
Salt of the water
AG
It's got a rear bench, and there's a 40 tiller zuke reasonably priced on 2cool right now... I'm trailer shopping to see if i can find one for what's left in my budget.

I've been saving for a 25 panga to get offshore in, but this little 19 really has my attention. I wouldn't want to get more than a few miles from the jetties in that panga but it could be a good texas poon and flat surf days kind of boat. It'd also open up some bay areas I'm not comfortable running to in my noe.

So the poling answer is yes/maybe about like I figured. Probably more of a trolling motor boat, but I have the noe for those days I really want to get shallow. Thanks for the microskiff link, that was a good write up.
Salt of the water
AG
And speaking of skiffs, how's the project hull coming along?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
And speaking of skiffs, how's the project hull coming along?

Still sitting in my buddy's warehouse in Tampa. I had planned to get it over Labor Day weekend but Hermine kinda put the kibosh on that. I'd have been driving right through all that mess.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BKG_q7ihNnD
RickSawyer
AG
Love those gurglers.

Already have three days booked in Dec!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice. I'm planning on heading over there sometime this fall and dragging the panga to do some DIY.
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone with a skiff need a 160 lb 40 hp 2 stroke?

Not mine, but I know these light old 2 strokes are getting hard to find in decent condition.

http://houston.craigslist.org/bpo/5746624620.html
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Anyone with a skiff need a 160 lb 40 hp 2 stroke?

Not mine, but I know these light old 2 strokes are getting hard to find in decent condition.

http://houston.craigslist.org/bpo/5746624620.html

If it were a tiller that would be perfect for my project but $2400 might be a bit ambitious for that engine.
Salt of the water
AG
Tiller kits are 500 ish from what I could tell. It's an older motor but damn that's light.
RickSawyer
AG
It was a good day.

Finn Maccumhail
DV04

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.