Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,415 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've known a couple guys who have had the B2. They're pretty good little boats but they can get a little squatty on the back end when you're poling.

And one thing that does happen, is if you're running the boat and come down off a plane too quickly and you're sitting on the rear deck that following wake will get your ass wet. It always seems to wash up over the back deck.
Centerpole90
AG
Where in the Sam Hill do you find a replacement spike for a Power Pole?

One of my lines broke and when I took the boat to put it away the PP leaked down. The fiberglass spike is totally ineffective at stopping my F2fiddy @ highway speed. Now I can only stake out my boat in the kiddie pool. Everything else is fixed and kosher and I found instructions for replacing the spike - but dang if I can find where you buy them from PP.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Where in the Sam Hill do you find a replacement spike for a Power Pole?

One of my lines broke and when I took the boat to put it away the PP leaked down. The fiberglass spike is totally ineffective at stopping my F2fiddy @ highway speed. Now I can only stake out my boat in the kiddie pool. Everything else is fixed and kosher and I found instructions for replacing the spike - but dang if I can find where you buy them from PP.

Take it off and get yourself a wang anchor so you can hang out with your wang out, just like me! Plus, they are maintenence free, weigh next to nothing and are easy to use!
Salt of the water
AG
I've heard their customer service is top notch. Maybe call them and see what they can do for you. I think they'll mail a new spike out to you, not sure for how much.
Centerpole90
AG
Since I posted I read the spikes are lifetime warrantied, hence they aren't listed in the parts catalog. I'll give a call.

TBH, I can take or leave the thing. If I'd outfitted the boat there would be something simpler, lighter, less conspicuous there. However, I do catch myself using it and I really like it when I'm poling and we have a fish hooked. We can fight the fish, catch, release, and then resume navigation without being towed away from or drifting off the shoreline, channel edge, or whatever - and I never have to climb off the Empire State Poling Platform.

I could do the same with the pole too so there's that. It's there, I'm going to leave it until the Great IslaMarine refit in 2022.
Salt of the water
AG
It had been a while since I turned a red into a feather face. Snuck out between the thunderstorms this morning and managed to snag an upper slot. Tan and olive crack fly was the ticket.

Shrimp weren't as thick as I thought they'd be. Probably going to start really moving once we get the first decent cold front.
BKClark
Centerpole90
Salt of the water
AG
Texican08 - saw a couple more skiffs in your budget

2006 beavertail - $17,500
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/#/topics/2064354?_k=jfor82

2014 ankona shadow cast - $13,000
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/#/topics/2066442?_k=6ugdvf
texican08
AG
Thanks for the info, I'm going to take a look at the 07 Beavertail Osprey that's on 2cool this weekend. Got it talked down into my budget so we'll see. Have the wet test Sunday.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommended questions I should ask when I'm looking at it?
Salt of the water
AG
Quick observations on that boat:

Console looks a little high for running while sitting on the bench, but I'm short so it'd probably be a bigger issue for me than most.

The platform is quite a ways in front of the motor (probably for jackplate clearance). Try and pole it some when you wet test to make sure it's not awkward with you always hitting the stern with the pole.

General comments:
Check inside all the hatches.
Check the wiring, it can be costly to fix.
Don't gloss over the trailer they can be price to fix up too.
Check for soft spots around anything mounted on the deck. Non factory mounted things can go bad of done poorly (especially in a boat with wood). Not sure if that is a wood deck boat or not.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Texican08 - saw a couple more skiffs in your budget

2006 beavertail - $17,500
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/#/topics/2064354?_k=jfor82
I follow that dude on Insta, he fished a HPX - I guess he's posting for a buddy.
Centerpole90
AG
Tomorrow is Thursday.
RickSawyer
AG
Felt like puking today. Solo on my home turf, 30" fish, perfect presentation and hookset, as I am trying to get him on the reel my push pole falls from the caddy and starts to roll off the deck. I jump down and grab the pole before it gets wrapped up with the fish, all the while I maybe give the fish slack line for two friggin seconds and ..... SPITS THE DAMN HOOK. Wanted to chunk my rod into the trees and walk home. Would have been my biggest red of the year in texas and my first SOLO fish in the Beavertail.

To top it all off, after that I got follows with no eats from four sheepsheads and two 20 lb black drum that wouldn't look up from the bottom to see my fly.

Tomorrow's another day but dang I wanted that fish - 5 min from the house.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Felt like puking today. Solo on my home turf, 30" fish, perfect presentation and hookset, as I am trying to get him on the reel my push pole falls from the caddy and starts to roll off the deck. I jump down and grab the pole before it gets wrapped up with the fish, all the while I maybe give the fish slack line for two friggin seconds and ..... SPITS THE DAMN HOOK. Wanted to chunk my rod into the trees and walk home. Would have been my biggest red of the year in texas and my first SOLO fish in the Beavertail.

To top it all off, after that I got follows with no eats from four sheepsheads and two 20 lb black drum that wouldn't look up from the bottom to see my fly.

Tomorrow's another day but dang I wanted that fish - 5 min from the house.
Dude that sucks. Redemption on 10/4.

RickSawyer
AG
Yes, hopefully 10/4 is a day for the books. Also, will be at harborwalk dumping the Beav back in at 7am tomo so hopefully some redemption comes sooner.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Yes, hopefully 10/4 is a day for the books. Also, will be at harborwalk dumping the Beav back in at 7am tomo so hopefully some redemption comes sooner.

Well now you're just rubbing it in dude.

I'm still sitting in my office because I've got a call for a deal out in California in a couple minutes.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:

Well now you're just rubbing it in dude.

I'm still sitting in my office because I've got a call for a deal out in California in a couple minutes.

I told you the cure for that Finn! Find a new job, set start date three months from resignation date, fish, ??? ( this part costs money), profit.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
Would have been my biggest red of the year in texas and my first SOLO fish in the Beavertail.

Solo poling and fly fishing is TOUGH. The only way I've been able to manage it is with a trolling motor. I have seen some setups to aid in solo fishing though. Belt clip push pole holsters and a stripping basket with a fly rod holding setup are almost a necessity.

Crazy to think that the state record trout was caught by a guy fly fishing solo. Every time I strike out solo I gain more respect for Bud Rowland.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:
Would have been my biggest red of the year in texas and my first SOLO fish in the Beavertail.

Solo poling and fly fishing is TOUGH. The only way I've been able to manage it is with a trolling motor. I have seen some setups to aid in solo fishing though. Belt clip push pole holsters and a stripping basket with a fly rod holding setup are almost a necessity.

Crazy to think that the state record trout was caught by a guy fly fishing solo. Every time I strike out solo I gain more respect for Bud Rowland.

I am gonna do it successfully but yeah, this has been a frustrating exercise in being prepared and present minded
Centerpole90
AG
I have t poled solo but a buddy of mine poles his boat backwards. He stands on the bow, tod @ his feet, and poles poles the boat backwards. I need to see it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
It's definitely tough. I did it in my Gheenoe w/ minimal success. I'd stand on the front deck and face the stern with my rod in a basket w/ some line stripped out, and then when I saw a fish I'd stick the push pole in a belt clip.

I blew A LOT of shots.

Trying to do so from a poling platform fishing solo would be super tough.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
Also, will be at harborwalk dumping the Beav back in at 7am tomo so hopefully some redemption comes sooner.

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:
Also, will be at harborwalk dumping the Beav back in at 7am tomo so hopefully some redemption comes sooner.

One for the books. My brother-in-law brought 10 reds to hand in the marsh. Took some time to find clean water but once we did it was just ridiculous.

Oh, and I successfully brought one to hand from the poling platform. Wasn't solo per say but still a great first for me.

Salt of the water
texican08
Finn Maccumhail
Centerpole90
Centerpole90
AG
Had a treat yesterday, got to spend a day on the water with BKC.

We got to go fishing but it was Sunchaser's day off, we saw his boat docked at port. He must have been swilling some bilge with the locals...

I saw an old timey guide from a Guide...

Pretty soon we were in the MARSH! This is something we have very little of at home...

BKC doin' work, poor redfish never stood a chance....

Look @ that Ramlin' dry launchin' sumbich.

10/10 would fish again!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Outstanding work gents.

And I love that seafoam color on skiffs. I told the Minister of War & Finance that my restoration job was gonna be 100% seafoam except for where I put down the faux-teak for a vintage look. Especially since she thwarted my desires for the panga to be seafoam & white (or even ice blue).
Ayto Siks
Salt of the water
AG
Fall is wonderful!
Centerpole90
AG
You are responsible for your wake.

https://instagr.am/p/BKTG0oTBac9
Salt of the water
AG
I dig that white boots matter shirt. Just missing a Rockport Reeboks on it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.