Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,997 Views | 3071 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgFlyGuy
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
There is a beautiful 18hxp on mbcforum.com located in Houston too.

That gray color is slick.

quote:
find me an 18HPXV for not 43K and not 1000 miles away

It's only 35k and not 1000 miles away... It's exactly what you asked for. It's a sign that you need to buy it.
yeah, but life has changed recently...... otherwise I would have bought it already.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
quote:
There is a beautiful 18hxp on mbcforum.com located in Houston too.

That gray color is slick.

quote:
find me an 18HPXV for not 43K and not 1000 miles away

It's only 35k and not 1000 miles away... It's exactly what you asked for. It's a sign that you need to buy it.

Centerpole90
AG
Headed home and I make a detour through the mayhem to visit BCA. As we creep through Highland Village shops Mrs. CP is pointing out all the shops to centerpolette - so I offer to drop them off while CP Jr. and I continue.

"Heck no. I want to go to the fly shop" CPette insisted !! That's my girl.

She then runs up the biggest tab in the family @ BCA and I reward her with a stop @ HV anyway.

Daddy's of daughters beware. They hold a mysterious power over us
RickSawyer
AG
Nice! I was in Bayou City Angler on Saturday to get some new SA Mastery Redfish 8w. Really a great shop. And my 3 year old daughter runs this house plus she can cast her TFO 4w Bug Launcher with an Echo One pretty well!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Somebody go over to Beaumont and buy this Hewes Tailfisher 17: http://beaumont.craigslist.org/bod/5517306689.html

Centerpole90
AG
...and do it tomorrow. After all...

Tuesday Hewesday.
TxAG-010
AG
More like Tibor Tuesday....ordered my Riptide Friday! Can't wait to get it.
Centerpole90
AG
This thread can be summed up _

Winning.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Somebody go over to Beaumont and buy this Hewes Tailfisher 17: http://beaumont.craigslist.org/bod/5517306689.html

Wow. Hell of a deal there!
Centerpole90
AG
Have them take Grandpa"s seat off before y'all pick it up.
Centerpole90
AG
Ayto hooked me up with this old post from flylords today.

Now that I've pleasured myself a couple times I figure I'd share it with the rest of you.

https://instagr.am/p/BEHRrwTAY_s
RickSawyer
AG
Who was looking for a maverick?

2001 17 HPX-T Kevlar w/ 2015 F70 Yam for 21k
Centerpole90
AG
Nice boat. Is that a wrap or paint on hull?? Can't tell on my phone. That poster was t poking for a T, he wanted a V model.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
But get that gay ass wrap job off of there. That looks terrible.
Centerpole90
AG
I should have just come out and said it.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
But get that gay ass wrap job off of there. That looks terrible.
Its great for stalking redfish in snowy rivers.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Besides if you're going to put a wrap on your skiff at least make it an advertisement for your own artwork.

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Nice boat. Is that a wrap or paint on hull?? Can't tell on my phone. That poster was t poking for a T, he wanted a V model.
Baron has a 17 T and they are cool boats. Not traditional tunnel, more like a pocket shaped in similar to some surfboard designs.
Centerpole90
AG
The thread with the little donut boat got me thinking; remember the Pelican Skiff? The 16ft narrow skiff, I think it was a one man, maybe 2, micro skiff that could be bought on the cheap? It was in the same style as the 'noe. Anyway, I saw the link to solo skiff in the other thread and it reminded me of it, so I looked it up to see how it developed.

The link took me to go-daddy. I guess the little 1/2 kayak, 1/2 poling skiff market not so bueno.
Salt of the water
AG
The 13 ft ambush hull jumped around from a few different manufacturers. I think beavertail designed it and then sold the mold to pelican. Looks like pelican might have gone out of business.

RandRboatworks who makes custom center consoles and sport fishers made a knock off at one time too.

There was someone making a solo skiff type hull in Austin, but I can't remember the name any more.
Kalebcs
Anyone headed to Bayou City Angler to watch 'Come and Take It'? I'll be there as long as the creek don't rise.
Centerpole90
AG
Did Houston freeze over today?

What I did here. Do you see it?

RickSawyer
AG
Nice man! how'd she run?
AGricola08
AG
Did a quick forum search and didn't see anything on it... new shown on Animal planet called "Fish or Die". It is the same guys from Coasta Del Mar GeoBass show on YouTube. Flyfishing only. First episode aired on Sunday and they are looking for land-locked tarpon in Belize.

Figured a couple folks on here would be interested.

AggieGunslinger
AG
The teaser looks great, but I have disappointed by AP shows so many times that I am apprehensive.
Centerpole90
AG
Why. The. F. I am just now hearing about this?

You guys are falling down on the job of keeping me entertained.

And Kalebcs - where is the BCA video screening report??? If you and shallowrick aren't sleeping off a drunk in a Montrose gutter the rest of us should have a review by now.
Centerpole90
Salt of the water
AG
Haven't seen geobass, but did see their film before that, geofish. Highly recommended. Some great q roo back country footage, and bill fish on the fly from a panga off the Baja Peninsula.
BKClark
AG
What's a matta? The TV in your tractor broken?
Centerpole90
AG
Hell no, worse than that. When I do get some TV time I have to watch zombies, guys drag racing in OK, or scanning the program guide after 11 to see what has the most skin on HBO.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:

And Kalebcs - where is the BCA video screening report??? If you and shallowrick aren't sleeping off a drunk in a Montrose gutter the rest of us should have a review by now.

I didn't go... I forgot it was Sunday night and quite frankly I hate driving into town when I dont have to work. Heard it was good.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Baron has a 17 T and they are cool boats. Not traditional tunnel, more like a pocket shaped in similar to some surfboard designs.
didn't Baron sell that Mitzi and buy a Maverick?
Centerpole90
AG
I should mention, now that I've actually used them, that tarponfly helped me pick some new glasses a few weeks back. I liked his Smith Chromapops last fall when we fished together and I when I started online shopping for some of my own I found them Here on Amazon for $95. Smith Polychromatic Ignitor with tortoise frames.

For years I've fished the same pair of glasses, amber based Costas with green mirror lens - I think the ignitors gave me a clearer look into the water. I know I could see the lighter colored rat reds and puppy drum better. One trip in, I like them so far.

Kalebcs
quote:

Hahahaha! What's funny is Montrose means elk, freestones, and aspens to me. When I moved down here I was quickly educated after wearing a Montrose, CO gift shop t-shirt!

It was good! But I'm going to be critical because, well, this is an Internet board and that's what we do.

The Pros:
Imagery was great! It's amazing what the drone has done for filmmaking. There were some interesting and funny characters as well. Also, it was purely TEXAS! I mean who fishes the lone star state and doesn't like to see people fishing the hill country and the Texas coast? They also showed the flood and devastation that area underwent. I don't think many people realize how bad it was. Lastly, I personally liked to see gar highlighted a bit. They are an underrated quarry on the fly. The Silver King made an appearance as well!

The Cons:
(Disclamer: some of these may have been accentuated by the two bros in front of me. One wearing a flat bill and one with a huge head of dreads covered with what looked like an oversized crown royal bag. I bet he was hiding his tenkara rod in there. They kept moving from side to side obstructing my view)
I felt like the editing was too much. The whole thing felt choppy. It seemed the longest any scene lasted was 3 seconds. Also, I think the whole thing lacked a story line. I get that it was about the Guad system, from headwaters to bay, to poc jetties; but my dad, who fishes as much as me, really had no idea that was the concept. It was kind of more about bright colors, loud noises, and weird transitions. I'm also not big on the F word, but that doesn't bother everyone. Lastly, I wanted more FISHING! Yeah there were some fish in hand and some releases, but I like to see casts, technique, fly selection, takes, fights, landings, and releases.

All in all, I'd watch it again. Heck, I'd probably buy it just because it's a Texas fly film. I really liked it, but it didn't leave me longing for a trip on the Guad. I think it was missing some Alvin Dedeaux. I'd give it a 7.
Centerpole90
AG

That. Is how it's done. Thanks for the review.

Which leads me to another question for everyone. Are any of these fly fishing films available digitally are all they all pretty much 'buy the DVD' model?

I see that Fish or Die is a pilot - so it's not YET a series on Animal Planet, and I can't get Dish to find me a re-airing of it. I did a little googling and see that LOTS of the clips in the ForD trailer are also in the Geofish trailer - so there must be a strong correlation between the two. I looked in all the usual spots for digital purchase of geofish, but didn't have any luck.

Y you no sell digital downloads fly fish movies?

EDITING TO ADD - I just saw this can be streamed on YouTube (Fish or Die). Thanks SWC for the hookup on that.

ETA: if anyone is looking for Tenkara in BCA it's on the back wall just between the sunglasses and the bookshelves. Right under the screen.

https://instagr.am/p/BE6bJe0pvmQ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.