Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,904 Views | 3070 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by dmperch
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel your pain. Charleston was only a single day fishing. I have three days booked in Dec with Baron and Jarid guys only trip so that should beat some of this outta me.

I just got Steph the pink (breast cancer awareness) hatch 4+ and was put on a strict no more gear order for the moment...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

I feel your pain. Charleston was only a single day fishing. I have three days booked in Dec with Baron and Jarid guys only trip so that should beat some of this outta me.

I just got Steph the pink (breast cancer awareness) hatch 4+ and was put on a strict no more gear order for the moment...

Y'all going to Louisiana in December?

I'm trying to find time and some guys to head over there with our boat(s) and do a DIY trip before my usual February trip with Scott Null.

And in fairness, I did just buy that Tibor Back Country for my 6wt.
Centerpole90
AG
Diy. Keep me in the loop.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Diy. Keep me in the loop.

Will do.
BigLeftMiss08
AG
My pops and I are looking to go down to the Keys in April, anyone recommend a specific outfitter/guide? Location in the Keys is yet to be determined and somewhat dependent on the guide's availability/location. Thanks
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Aglaw09 said:

My pops and I are looking to go down to the Keys in April, anyone recommend a specific outfitter/guide? Location in the Keys is yet to be determined and somewhat dependent on the guide's availability/location. Thanks

To target what?

That's the early part of tarpon season and it can be difficult to get a fly guide down there during tarpon season if you don't have an "in" because they're typically booked solid.

edit: just realized I sort of come of as a bit of a dick there and didn't mean to. It's just that most reputable fly guides in the Keys that time of year are going to be covered up with tarpon trips that are booked with the same people year after year. That being said, in Islamorada contact Florida Keys Outfitters and they can likely find you a good guide. Down in Key West/Lower Keys look up John O'Hearn with Key West on Fly.

If those groups can't accommodate you they'll have good recs.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Bump for the edit
Salt of the water
AG
Finally had a free weekend and got the motor hung on the panga. Hoping to finally hit the water soon.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice. What hp is that Zuke?

My outdoors plans were curtailed by a 2-year old with a stomach virus. Thankfully he seems to be recovered now.
Salt of the water
AG
The zuke is a 40. I'm a little worried it'll be underpowed. From what I read they use 30s or 40s on the 18 Imemsas so I hope with a little prop tuning it'll run well.

I don't want to go much heavier (250 lbs) so anything higher hp will probably have to be a 2 stroke.

I'm hoping for 25 mph but if I can get 20 I'll be satisfied.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I think I saw that the Tohatsu 50hp tiller is 209#.
NW80
AG
Yes, but it's a Tohatsu!
texican08
AG
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a '07 BT Osprey. I've taken it out on the ULM over the weekend and it's running great.

I'm pretty unfamiliar w/ the Galveston Bay complex and back marshes. Not looking for anyone's secret spots but does anyone care to share some tips, tricks and launch points for the area?
Salt of the water
AG
Congratulations!

Pics?!?

What's your tolerance for shell and how clear do you want your water to be?

What general area do you live? For example, from Katy area going to Matty is about the same drive time as Galveston. From the east side of town, East Bay or Sabine may be more accessible.
Centerpole90
AG
Hell Fn Yes. Serious boat buyer. I completely endorse boat collecting.
Salt of the water
AG
Collecting? What is collecting?

I fully admit, I have the sickness skiffness. Luckily I can still squeeze it into one storage unit.

texican08
AG

Thanks! Located in the Lazybrook (610/290 area) neighborhood of Houston. I'm not planning on shying away from oyster beds but definitely want to get my bearings about me before I go putting around those areas. Pretty much accepted water clarify isn't going to be great, but the clearer the better.
Salt of the water
AG
Map of public ramps in Texas. You can click for details and pictures of the ramps.

http://txcoasts.com

If you're brave enough for 45 on a weekend:
Louis bait camp is pretty nice. Close to Pierce Marsh and Greens Bay.

Jamaica Beach has lots of fish able water (jumbile cove, gisp, Maggie's cove, etc.) I think running across west bay to greens wouldnt be bad in your boat but watch the weather. The sea isle ramp just down the road is shorter and crappier than Jamaica but it's less idling to the bay if that matters to you.

If you despise 45:
Swan Lake ramp in Surfside. Lots of shell and redfish North of the icw. Go slow and maybe scope it out on a low low winter tide.

Amigo Lane/Ernies - good access to titlum tatlum and the east side of Christmas. Pretty easy to navigate this area. Lots of yakers and can get crowded on weekends.

Points further south:
San bernard river launch to access cedar lakes and cowtrap. Lots of redfish and even more shell. Go very slow.

East matagorda - I've only ever launched from Sargent. East matty is a good big trout Bay. Plenty of redfishy marsh on the back side of the island. Most of the oyster in the bay is deeper than you need to worry about and the shell on the shoreline is easy to spot.

This video helped shave some learning curve off the marsh for me. It's a different animal than the clear grass flats you find more often down south. http://www.troutsupport.com/dvd-redfish-marsh-grass-flats-shallow/
Centerpole90
AG
Congrats, nice sled! CROWN ROYAL.

I don't know why but I remember boats by the phonetic pronunciation of the last two letters in the registration. Yours is easy to remember, TX xxxx Crown Royal. My Mav is TX xxxx College Life, or CraigsList.
RickSawyer
AG
texican08 said:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a '07 BT Osprey. I've taken it out on the ULM over the weekend and it's running great.

I'm pretty unfamiliar w/ the Galveston Bay complex and back marshes. Not looking for anyone's secret spots but does anyone care to share some tips, tricks and launch points for the area?

Fire me a PM. I can help ya out.
EyeBalz
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BL90SFBhIFh

Was in the Keys last month. We had had lots of clouds and thunderstorms so far that week, but the weather cleared by Wednesday. In spite of the slick calm conditions we managed to fool this nice permit early and caught two 4-5 pound bonefish later. Thanks Capt. Drew Delashmit, you're awesome!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Centerpole90
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Between Salt of the Water & Texican's new sleds, ShallowRickSawyer & offspring's exploits, and that monster permit Teddy Eyeballz caught...

I really hope the conditions are right when I'm in Key West next week. Fishing with the man, who IIRC, dubbed Ted Margo "Teddy Eyeballz," Capt. John O'Hearn.
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone looking for an entry priced skiff? Ran across this one while on the hunt for a used trolling motor and/or poling platform.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5847789760.html

Finn Maccumhail
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BMZwqhNB1Sa
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Why the hell can't I get my Instagram pics to show up? WTF man.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

Anyone looking for an entry priced skiff? Ran across this one while on the hunt for a used trolling motor and/or poling platform.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5847789760.html

If you're looking at that Pathfinder be careful and do a thorough inspection. Those early Pathfinder 15 & 17T skiffs were notorious for having the stringers delaminate from the cockpit floor. Post 2000 or so they supposedly fixed that issue.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Trying again...

https://instagr.am/p/BMZwqhNB1Sa
RickSawyer
AG
Popping boner cherries.
Centerpole90
AG
I think it's the Instagram code. Used to work.

https://instagr.am/p/BJIXtsPBRLw
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Thanks dude. I don't know why my Instagram pics don't want to work here.

I've got some better pics on my camera, this was O'Hearn's phone. Also caught some jacks, a mangrove snapper (no pics of these) and had a shot at a big permit. Spooky sumbeech was 20' from the boat and about to eat the fly when he saw us and waved the middle fin- so crazy, the permit saw the fly, followed it and we saw it open its mouth to take the fly when you could literally see those big old permit eyes look up at us and decide "eff those dudes, I'm outta here."

Hooked up with a couple other bones but one spit the hook and the other broke me off on an old lobster trap. But it was a beautiful day on the flats.
Centerpole90
AG
Is your IG profile private? When I select your pic the menu that pops up is truncated.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Is your IG profile private? When I select your pic the menu that pops up is truncated.

It is. I have to approve follow requests.
Centerpole90
AG
That must be why your pics won't show up. I don't think it will let you link or display them if you're profile is protected.
Salt of the water
AG
Finally got to take the panga out for a shakedown cruise. Had a friend go with me and another friend take his skiff incase we had issues.

Planned on running East Matagorda but the radar this morning looked a little hairy. Called my buddy boat and decided to check out Keith Lake which I'd been eyeing on Google Earth for a while.

Boat ran well. It's a little bow high with the heavy 4 stroke in the back. I'm hoping a large fuel tank up front will level it out some, but it's probably going to need tabs. Handled some chop that kicked up late morning nicely.

Poling was not as bad as I thought it'd be, but fighting that bow upwind is a bear. Working with or quartering to the wind was easy going. Trolling motor is high on the priority list.

My buddy jumped off his skiff and went for a ride with us. Boat ran 30 on the phone gps with 3 guys. I was hoping for 20-25 so I'm very pleased.

Caught a couple dink trout and broke a couple off at the boat. Not a bad way to break a boat in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.