Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,440 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got to get my wedding out of the way here in a few months, and then I'll be seriously looking. Until then I want to do plenty of research and y'all are experts it seems for advice. On another related topic, would y'all recommend this for a beginner saltwater fly fisher?
http://m.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=8P45&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5978&subcat_id=7309
Salt of the water
AG
See if Finn will sell you his bvk. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2826717/1

If you go the orvis route, I think they hand out coupons at their demo days. Probably worth attending one to save some coin. Orvis makes good gear. The bummer about that encounter outfit is they exclude it from their warranty.
Ayto Siks
The Orvis Encounter was my first fly combo. It's good for the price, but a TFO paired with a Kingfisher reel from Bass Pro is a cheap upgrade that delivers more performance imo.

I have two TFO/Kingfisher combos and haven't needed to upgrade yet. Caught plenty of medium sized fish without any issues.
Centerpole90
AG
BirdhunterAg13 said:

Does the side console add a significant value to them?
Only if you like this when you pull back up to the dock.

DV04
Salt of the water
AG
Wedding schmedding

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2013-ankona-shadowcast-18-skiff-fully-loaded.43244/
saltydog13
AG
I think I'd prefer to be alive to enjoy the boat. I showed her the boats and she actually preferred the Ankona Cayenne and Beavertail Mosquito to my original choices.
BKClark
AG
I'll just leave this here

Laguna
NW80
AG
Nice BK!!!
Centerpole90
Finn Maccumhail
RickSawyer
AG

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Niiiiice...

...you quit your day job again?
rather be fishing
AG
RickSawyer said:

Looks like a hipster stole your boat.

Jealous!
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Niiiiice...

...you quit your day job again?

Ha, no. Mental health day.
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

RickSawyer said:

Looks like a hipster stole your boat.

Jealous!

That hipster is the best fisherman I know, conventional and fly. He won the juniors trout masters... twice.
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

Nice sheep!
Ragoo
AG
Baaaaaa
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Gotta love the sheepies.

This is the time of year they'll actually eat a fly in Texas. I've actually only ever caught them in Louisiana but I've put a fly in front of hundreds of sheepies in Texas only to see them flee in abject terror from a 1" piece of fluff.

And I've had 2 guides in the Keys who target permit a lot tell me that sheepshead are more difficult to catch on the fly than a permit.
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Gotta love the sheepies.

This is the time of year they'll actually eat a fly in Texas. I've actually only ever caught them in Louisiana but I've put a fly in front of hundreds of sheepies in Texas only to see them flee in abject terror from a 1" piece of fluff.

And I've had 2 guides in the Keys who target permit a lot tell me that sheepshead are more difficult to catch on the fly than a permit.

I kid you not, I witnessed my buddy spook a fish over 60' out with a false cast. Insane. The sheepsheads were tailing like nobody's business and were moody ****ing *****es nonetheless.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Gotta love the sheepies.

I kid you not, I witnessed my buddy spook a fish over 60' out with a false cast. Insane. The sheepsheads were tailing like nobody's business and were moody ****ing *****es nonetheless.

Yeah, we saw quite a few of them last Sunday when I went with my buddy & Little so my buddy could demo the Sabine Versatile. They were really skittish and we had crap light so we couldn't see them until they were really close.

I spooked one that was a monster. He was tailing up against the shoreline and then make a big wake away from it, probably 60 feet out. Once he stopped tailing all I could see was the wake so I laid out my cast to intercept and then the next thing we see is another giant wake going about 90 degrees away from where the first wake had been going so I'm assuming I spooked him.
Salt of the water
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Yeah, we saw quite a few of them last Sunday when I went with my buddy & Little so my buddy could demo the Sabine Versatile.

Whats the review? Pole it any? Hull slap and aluminum noise?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Yeah, we saw quite a few of them last Sunday when I went with my buddy & Little so my buddy could demo the Sabine Versatile.

Whats the review? Pole it any? Hull slap and aluminum noise?

Frankly, it's a tremendous skiff. If it had come out 2 years ago I'd probably own one right now.

- fit & finish are top notch for an aluminum skiff, right up there with a reputable aluminum builder like Xpress or G3, etc. The welds were clean and neat. That being said, I think you'd need a good while of hard use to fully test out those welds but that's true for any welded aluminum boat.
- electrical wiring is very clean and neat, easily accessible and well laid out
- the Tohatsu 50 tiller really pushes the boat well, we had about 800# of men in the boat and it was pushing it in the low 30s. Being a 4stk it's also fuel efficient and quiet. The custom blacked out paint job is pretty cool too.
- the hull design is very quiet, even poling into the wind. Didn't notice any hull slap unless we moved all the weight to the stern and raised the bow out of the water. And it doesn't slide at all in hard turns due to the reverse chines under the water line, poles easily and quietly, tracks well and spins easily
- with 800# of men and 3/4 full tank of gas it had an honest 6" draft when poling
- the deck layout makes it feel a whole lot bigger than it really is and keeps it a dry boat (by skiff standards)

This is the one we ran. 2 guys sitting on the rear bench and I sat on a Yeti in the middle of the cockpit.

Salt of the water
AG
Thanks. I'd been eyeing them because of some of the shell hell areas I like to fish.

Tunnel? Ballpark price (I'm guessing it runs more than a similar fiberglass boat?)
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

Thanks. I'd been eyeing them because of some of the shell hell areas I like to fish.

Tunnel? Ballpark price (I'm guessing it runs more than a similar fiberglass boat?)

No tunnel. They can possibly add one since they're a custom shop but it didn't seem necessary. We were able to trim the motor to get up & run in less than a foot.

I'm not sure on pricing, I didn't really get into that since I'm not the buyer and Little said they don't have set price sheets yet as they're custom.

RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Would be great for E. Matty!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
One thing they could probably do which I think would be badass is do a powder-coated stand-up center-console sort of like Scott Null's East Cape Fury. I wouldn't mess with raising up a platform to the same level as the deck, just bolt the aluminum frame for the console and leaning post to the floor in the cockpit.

For the unfamiliar, something sort of like this:

Salt of the water
AG
If anyone else has a the skiffness and likes to read about boats, this blog by Chris Morejohn (original designer for hells bay) has a bunch of good info.

http://chrismorejohn.blogspot.com/2017/01/part-two-flats-skiffs-and-why-details.html?m=1

http://chrismorejohn.blogspot.com/2017/01/part-two-flats-skiffs-and-why-details.html?m=1
RickSawyer
AG
Funny you shared that, I stumbled on his blog from another site yesterday!
Centerpole90
AG
I see lots of video this am from the HB shop on Instagram- but I didn't notice BKC's sled in there.

What's up? Is she back in Texas BKC?
Salt of the water
AG
I found it via fly fishing after dark podcast. I'm only a couple episodes in, I like that it's about saltwater fly fishing, but it's still a little rough. I'm hoping they find a groove because it seems like it has potential. I do like their philosophy.

Quote:

The spinning of yarns and good old fashioned bull**** sessions are important, because, lets face it; as fly anglers we're not catching a ton of fish, so you better be able to lie.

RickSawyer
AG
Anyone had work done at Glasser Boatworks? How difficult was it to get your skiff in the door amd turned around back out the door?
BKClark
AG
It was in their Instagram story yesterday. Putting it back to gather right now and working on the trailer. Supposed to be ready week after next.
BKClark
AG
Be Careful with them, there's some bad stories about them over on Microskiff

Glasser
RickSawyer
AG
Thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.