Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need help buying a fly rod/reel for saltwater flats

3,031 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Salt of the water
TLKAg87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I recently took my son fishing out of Hopedale, La. Big reds on the fly. While he did manage to get one in the boat, I did not. I want to get a 9wt rod and reel that I can practice with on bass, etc until we go again. This sort of fishing is absolutely a blast and addicting, but so very expensive. I need advice from OB as to a good setup for a reasonable price. I am not giving you a budget because I'm afraid mine is too low.
TLKAg87
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you're looking to chase reds and trout in Texas I'd go with an 8wt rig as being the most versatile for bass and fishing the Texas flats. A 9wt is generally overkill for the flats unless it's really windy.

What is your budget?

TLKAg87
AG
I've been researching since we got back from our trip right after Christmas. I originally set a budget of $300, but I don't think that is going to get it done.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
TLKAg87 said:

I've been researching since we got back from our trip right after Christmas. I originally set a budget of $300, but I don't think that is going to get it done.

Where are you located?

I have a very lightly used 8wt combo- TFO BVK 8wt and Fish Creek 7800 reel (the reel is a prototype my BiL was developing with the owner of Fish Creek Rods, Terry Johnson- Fish Creek Rods - the deal never panned out but it's a great entry-level reel) that I would sell for less than $300.

It was originally a backup rig but then I bought a new primary rig so this one is now a backup to my backup 8wt rig and it's just gathering dust.
TLKAg87
AG
Lufkin, Texas.
TLKAg87
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Two things that I am not cheap on is fishing equipment and beer. IMHO, a $300 budget for a salt water fly rod and reel combo is not sufficient enough. I use an 8 wt Gloomis cross current rod and a sage reel. I am very happy with these selections
Neches21
Disagree with the above.
You can get by just fine with a $150 TFO Pro 8wt rod amd $100 Lamson Liquid fly reel. Spend your money on a quality line like Scientific Anglers MPX or Rio Gold.
Many saltwater guides have similar equipment for their clients to use
I prefer nicer Made In America gear but it won't help you cast better or catch anymore fish.
Mule_lx
AG
I need help buying one too. $10-$20 apiece should do it? I accept cash only.
Salt of the water
AG
I agree with the above posters that 8wt is right for the bay and will probably do better double duty for bass. 9 wt may be a little overkill.

Finn's BVK would be a great all-rounder rod that loads nice for short shots but has good backbone for longer casts. Someone does an 8wt shootout comparing all the latest rods every couple years and the BVK always comes in highly rated even compared to rods that cost 3x as much. (If you don't take Finn up on hiss offer I might). Bass pro had odd length (7.5' and 10') BVKs for half off right after Christmas. I think that sale is over.

If you shop smart you can get a rod/reel combo for around $300. Check clearance sites like sierra trading post for last years rods on sale. My starter rod was a tfo axiom off STP that went for just over $100. I picked up a sage reel on there for $150 and spent another $50 for line. It's not as nice as a $1000 combo, but it catches fish.

If you are shopping budget rods, keep an eye out for brands that have a good warranty. $25 dollar replacement warranties are nice on a long delicate rod.

Cabela's recently had their CGR fiberglass rods on sale for $80. They're shorter at under 8ft but for most red fishing you don't need to make super long shots. The short length may be handy for bass fishing around brush. If you can find one on sale still, I'd highly recommend it for a starter rod. Fiberglass is slow and makes you focus on good casting mechanics.

Allen makes a nice aluminum reel for about $150, I think it's called the alpha III. I have a buddy that really puts his to work on the redfish and it handles it like a champ.

Extra tip - If you follow some of the fly equipment manufacturers on social media (insta / twitter) they'll sometimes post up sales (sometimes up to 25% coupon codes).
TLKAg87
AG
You can text me if you want to discuss combo. 936/six7six3133
reddog90
AG
Here you go!

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-8-weight-shootout-best-saltwater-fly-rods-fly-rod-review-scott-meridian-g-loomis-nrx-sage-motive-st-croix-legend-elite-fenwick-aetos-orvis-recon-tfo-bvk-tfo-impact-echo-base-beaulah-opal-winston-biii-plus-mystic-reaper

I like expensive fly fishing equipment lol.

But yeah, 8wt setup for our coast is g2g. Get a spare spool, one with redfish line and the other with a bass taper.
TLKAg87
AG
Holy cow! Great article. I may not make the right choice, but at least now I won't be ignorant.
TLKAg87
Salt of the water
AG
That's the one I was talking about where the BVK always stacks up well.

Quote:

As you'll read again this year, there are some outstanding rods that have beaten out rods that are two to three times as expensive. The best example is the TFO BVK. We were all impressed with this rod. It's light, it casts impressively well at all distances and saving $500- $600 is nice too. You can use the money you saved on a nice reel and line. But if you want the best in performance, looks, and durability, plan on spending $800 or more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.