Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,873 Views | 3069 Replies | Last: 34 min ago by texican08
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Delete it out of your last post pleaaaase
RickSawyer
Salt of the water
AG
Another successful Texags hookup.

Rick, make sure you take some extra dark shades so Naco doesn't blind you with all that man thigh he likes to fly on the skiff.

And I'll vouch for him that he isn't a bow hog. I did have a nice little no skunk streak on the panga until I took him out, but he spent as much time on the pole as the pointy end so I'll give him a pass.
elnaco
AG
Don't be hatin on the man thigh. Sorry I'm not sorry we fished early in the year when I hadn't gotten my base tan and my quads were a little pasty. Gratuitous man thigh however is a known fish attractant and potlicker deterrent. Flip knows what I'm talking about

https://instagr.am/p/BW2YNwvjs29

I appreciate the voucher. It's hard not to be or at least feel like a bow hog with Salt though, you basically have to beg the guy to let you pole. But I do enjoy poling, especially different kinds of boats, so as long as I'm on someone else's skiff I'll always volunteer to be the pusherman. As for me breaking your no skunk streak, that one is on me dawg but it wasn't for lack of trying. The right casts were made with a whole slew of different flies but those dang reds were as snobby as all get out.
Ragoo
AG
rick your listing on microskiff and the trashcan comment, had me laughing out loud.
RickSawyer
AG
Thanks Ragoo. For the life of me I can't get rid of those big old grey trash cans. The struggle is real.
Salt of the water
AG
Pro tip (I just had to get rid of an old trash can) - sticky note on upside-down can that says "basura".
Centerpole90
AG
Not exactly fly fishing - but in the wheelhouse;

Did y'all see this? That's a badass dog.

https://instagr.am/p/BXGIwZbgjeU
rather be fishing
AG
Thanks to some coordinates from Salt I managed my first keeper red ever and on a fly I tied.

https://instagr.am/p/BXIgXwdjt8_
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

Thanks to some coordinates from Salt I managed my first keeper red ever and on a fly I tied.

https://instagr.am/p/BXIgXwdjt8_xR7QJ_F5paU23Usm0lfWPo4WECE0

Think your insta is set to private (can't see the pic) but congrats, that's awesome!
rather be fishing
AG
Thank you, that's what the issue is. I've been trying to figure that out.
Salt of the water
AG
Congrats!

How about a story for those of us who didn't get to fish this weekend. Anything memorable like the stalk, cast, eat, or fight?

I still vividly remember my first red on the fly, it was my first fish of any kind on the fly for that matter.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Congrats dude.
Ayto Siks
Salt has coordinates everywhere. Nice catch.
CSTXAg92
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Not exactly fly fishing - but in the wheelhouse;

Did y'all see this? That's a badass dog.

https://instagr.am/p/BXGIwZbgjeU
That is amazing!
CSTXAg92
AG
I'm going to be in Matagorda weekend after next and would really appreciate any guide recommendations you guys might have.
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

Congrats!

How about a story for those of us who didn't get to fish this weekend. Anything memorable like the stalk, cast, eat, or fight?

I still vividly remember my first red on the fly, it was my first fish of any kind on the fly for that matter.
We were around 12 miles east of the jetties, back in some marshy ponds. Got on top of the grass to get over to an area that looked good and saw a noticeable wake shoot from one pool through a very small narrow cut into another pool. The fish only had one exit that wasn't on a hook. Wind was pretty steady in the 10-15mph range, so I made a wide loop around to the more favorable wind side of the pool.

Third cast. Strip.. strip.. boom. Very solid strike and I knew I had a good hook set. Got the line to the reel pretty quick on about a 20 yard cast. Did have to reach over and tighten the drag down a touch once I realized he was taking a lot more line than he should have.

Only fish I landed on my fly rod all weekend. Hooked up on another this morning that broke me off and I'm fully responsible for not checking my tippet after fishing on it for a good while the day before.

We saw a lot of what appeared to be smaller fish this morning with backs out of the water but I couldn't get them to even turn and show interest in a fly or soft plastic. I threw clousers, crack shrimp, and EP crabs to no avail. Then we decided it was too hot and too much off a kick in the nuts to keep at it. Packed up and headed back to respective homes.

With my amount of experience in salt (about 5 good days worth in 30 years), I quickly realized I didn't have a great idea on what I was doing. But, I can tie some ugly looking shrimp flies and make a line go 30-40 feet when my leader isn't full of knots and I managed a fish.

All in all, good weekend. I'm investing in a better sleeping situation than a couple of furniture moving pads in the bed of the truck before I do that trip again, though.

ETA: not joking on that sleeping situation. I'm apparently too old to sleep on a flat metal surface now. 6:30 flight to Amarillo in the morning is going to suck.
elnaco
AG
Salt of the water said:

Shoot I still vividly remember that day! It was the perfect setup. School of reds working a grass bank coming towards us. Toss the fly out, let it sink, strip, strip, BOOM! Couldn't have gone any better... Well maybe if I would've picked up my rod and hooked up on one of the fish that was following yours around.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Congrats!

I was about 12 years old. Watched Walkers Cay chronicles and Spansih Fly religiously on Saturday mornings. My father was keeping Callisto at Sampson Cay in the Bahamas. Rob and I were seeing bonefish but didn't know how to cast a fly rod. $100 Pflueger combo at Oshmans off Gulf Freeway between Nasa Rd 1 and Bay Area sold to me by a big burly man named Bear who wasn't convinced we could catch a damn thing with a flyrod in the salt.

My dad looked up flyshops in Houston and jumped over to Anglers Edge to see if anyone could take his boys flyfishing. He met Capt. Chris Phillips and booked a day for us.

We launched out of Pirates in his 'skiff' - I think it was a Hewes looking back but I can't remember but what I do know, even though Capt Chris had a poling platform we waded for miles on those shorelines. Beat our ass. I remember around lunchtime Chris set Rob and me iff on our own while he ate his sandwich - he'd catch up. Wading north shoreline, novice as could be, spot a single fish cruising along the grass, by only the mercy of god I put the red rattlin rouser (Chris' favorite fly) in front of that fish and it eats... and starts to peel line off that old Pflueger like there's no tomorrow. I vaguely remember Capt Chris jumping up out of the boat and sprinting through knee deep water with knee deep mud to watch me reel in my first fish, a 28" red.

From there, Rob and I had a friend of Dad's that did some flyfishing for bones hook us up with some flies for the boat. We flew our gear down to the boat that summer and crushed schools of bonefish in the flats around Sampson. It was simple fishing... look for the big school, cast the fly in front of them, wait for them to move over the fly, twitch it and hold on tight.

At that point it became a sickness. Had some periods of time growing up were surfing was more fun than fly fishing but always came back to it.

Fished with Chris a few more times. He never forgot that first redfish. Stayed in touch until he passed. He was a true ambassador to saltwater flyfishing on the upper coast and I owe him a whole hell of a lot for the memories and friendships I forged because of that his patience, guidance and friendship.
Salt of the water
AG
I'm not familiar with any fly specific guides out of Sargent or Matty.

Got 4x4? I can send you what I sent Rather be fishing. Plenty of diy wading spots in the area.
NW80
AG
" ..... fresh water's for drinkin ... and salt water's for fishin..."
Capt. Chris Phillips
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

I'm not familiar with any fly specific guides out of Sargent or Matty.

Got 4x4? I can send you what I sent Rather be fishing. Plenty of diy wading spots in the area.

It's worth having a second vehicle out there in case you get buried. But a good length strap or chain and asking nicely will be good enough.

Unless you're the idiots that buried the front end of a Tundra on a point on the bay side. They got what they deserved. We took a look at it to be curtious, but I would have sunk my truck just trying to get to them. A guy in a Jeep with a winch pulled them out for the second time that day. They say there for 5 hours.
elnaco
AG
Got away for a little bit to fish yesterday. Tide was already up and still incoming when I launched and a stiff SE wind was giving the assist on stacking water up in the marsh. I decided to fish way back in some usually turbo skinny water in hopes of finding some hungry reds. After a short run, I shut down near the fork of two drains in the marsh. The wind carried the sounds of pops and crashes from behind the spartina grass of the left fork while I could see shrimp getting herded and tossed about a short distance down the right fork. As I debated which direction to go, the words of Yogi Berra echoed in my mind "When you come to a fork in the road, take it..." and that's exactly what I did.

As I poled down the drain, I quickly noticed a wide wake pushing it's way towards me a little ways off the opposite bank from me. As the fish got closer he pushed up onto the shallower water scattered with tufts of spartina next to the bank and revealed his bronze back. I fired off a cast at him and I misjudged the wind. The cast went a bit long and landed in the grass behind him. I tried to gently ease it out in front of him, but the fly ended up popping out of the grass and slapping the water hard right next to the fish, spooking him off the bank but not blowing him out. I quickly picked the fly up and put it right back in front of him. This time he inhaled the it. After a game of tug of war, he took the invitation to board La Chancla.

https://instagr.am/p/BXeLr5vhWph

After a quick selfie and release, I poled up to a shallow cove where I was hearing some pops and splashes. Upon further investigation I found another red backing among the scattered grass, sending little shrimp scurrying as he weaved in and out of the grass stands. I threw my fly into a little opening just as the fish made his way out of the grass and after a short tick, I saw the tell tail sign of the fish purging water out of its gills as it sucked up the fly. I hit him with a hard strip and he blew out of the cove leaving a streak of black mud behind him. This one was not wanting to come to hand as easily as the previous fish. We did battle, and eventually the fish started showing signs of fatigue. I grabbed my leader and went to grab him but the face, but he had one more trick up his sleeve and cartwheeled over liberating himself and giving me a face full of warm marsh water. After wiping my lenses off, I noticed my hook was also bent out, guess he earned that quick release.

A little while later, I met up with a fellow Ag that Salt of the Water connected me with and boarded his gheenoe. I poled him down another part of the marsh hoping to find some of the success that I had gotten to experience earlier. By this time the sun had gotten up a little higher and the fish started acting a little wonky. They weren't feeding hard anymore and they would move up into the shallow grass areas for a split second then quickly move back into the deeper water where we couldn't see them, not really presenting any good shots. Either way we gave it hell but just couldn't connect again. The weather might have had them a little messed up too but I suspect that it was the near full moon that was out all night. I think I just might have gotten lucky being out there early and catching the tail end of the all night feeding frenzy.

A little after noon the wind really picked up and we could see a storm building. We pulled into a little cove for a beer and to hunker down to wait out the rain both agreeing that we hadn't seen any lightening so it should be alright. As it neared the clouds starting getting a lot darker and the lightening started, my phone started buzzing with alerts going off for lightening within 5 miles of my position. It was go time. The storm really picked up speed and by the time he dropped me back off at my boat and we started booking it back in, the rain hit us hard. After what seemed like an eternity of a butt clenched ride, we thankfully both made it back to the ramp safely. When I checked my phone back at my truck I had an alert of a lightening strike 2.2 miles away from my position aka waaaaay to close for comfort. Looking at the animation from the storm it started as small little cells over the gulf that suddenly just built up into a huge storm right as it moved over our position. I try to be extremely cautious on the water but that storm really snuck up on me. Shout out to the weatherman though that had predicted 60% and 80% chances of rain on Friday and Saturday respectively with barely a drop either day only to predict 20% chance yesterday and we get a deluge.

On a positive note, I do think I found a good solution for backing fish. It's a pattern I started messing around with awhile back and have gotten a lot of positive feedback from a couple of guys that I've tied for in the past. It's kind of a cross between a super sized Simram bonefish fly and a crack fly. I normally tie it with a craft fur tail but I tied a few downsized versions with arctic fox to better represent the small shrimp backers are commonly going after or even go for a crab since it's general enough. It rides hook up, lands soft and gets down quick. The top one is the one I caught my two fish on.

I'll post up an SBS for it if anyone is interested.
RickSawyer
AG
Two fish to hand is a great day. Like those flies, kinda look like borski sliders to me. I bet those would work on sheepies during spring mating season as well.

ElNaco also unloaded a bunch of great flies on me Thursday. Initial plan was to give them to the kids for their boxes but after looking at them... they are staying in my boxes. He ties some great flies!
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

Two fish to hand is a great day. Like those flies, kinda look like borski sliders to me. I bet those would work on sheepies during spring mating season as well.

ElNaco also unloaded a bunch of great flies on me Thursday. Initial plan was to give them to the kids for their boxes but after looking at them... they are staying in my boxes. He ties some great flies!
Thank you for the kind words. If you liked those, I have some really ugly flies that you can give to the chilrens. They were the first few to come off my vise when I started tying.

The fly is fairly similar to the borski slider. Major difference is the spun deer hair of a slider gives it some buoyancy and it pushes a little more water than my fly. My fly should get down and into a redfish's wheelhouse quicker than a slider which is good for most situations, but not all. I'd be willing to bet that pattern tied on a #4 or #6 could be a good sheepy fly.

Salt of the water
AG
Solid solo work Naco! Catching them on the fly alone ain't easy.

If anyone wants to up their solo game - the perfect skiff for solo fishing with the occasional friend just popped up for sale in Houston today.
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2010-hells-bay-skate-skiff/6254198943.html

Centerpole90
AG
rather be fishing
AG
Salt, what kind of commission are you making on these skiffs?
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

Actually it's even more brilliant than simply commish... wives pay him to stop sending skiff deals to their husbands.
Salt of the water
AG
Unfortunately... no commissions and no bribes.

If I didn't have to do the day job thing, I'd be happy pushing skiffs with push poles or advertisements. Getting a captains liscence and guide liscence takes a big time commitment and boat dealing requires a big capital commitment.

But really, that skate is awesome. Tiny, but awesome. Pretty sure HBBW only made a dozen or so. I just can't justify the marginal upgrade in speed, draft, and quietness over my gheenoe to drop that kind of coin.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Cool little skiffs with all the fit & finish Hells Bay is known for. But it's so specialized and so few were made/sold I've gotta think it will be tough to sell.
lazuras_dc
AG
Im thinking of selling my gear as I don't use it at all anymore.

8 wt TFO rod and 3 tand reel with line /leader/tippet, and assortment of different flies. Any interest on here? No idea how to price it as I won the rod and lost the receipt for the reel/line. I can find out model/specs if anyone is interested- been sitting in the closet for a year. email me lazurasdc at yahoo dot com
rather be fishing
AG
You're wife might appreciate having the house to herself 80% of the time. You should explore the guide/boat sales route.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

rather be fishing said:

Actually it's even more brilliant than simply commish... wives pay him to stop sending skiff deals to their husbands.

If my wife knew how often Salt sends me various outboards, poling & casting platforms, and whatnot to get on my project skiff (code named "Glacier" for the pace at which work is proceeding) she'd think he's pushier than a drug dealer.
Salt of the water
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

RickSawyer said:

rather be fishing said:

If my wife knew how often Salt sends me various outboards, poling & casting platforms, and whatnot to get on my project skiff (code named "Glacier" for the pace at which work is proceeding) she'd think he's pushier than a drug dealer.

Clean 2 stroke yammies are getting rare yo...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.