Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

457,905 Views | 3053 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by dr_boogs
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to do something different here and make this first post a guide to all the tips, fun stories, fly tying, skiff picking, equipment reviews embedded deep within here... Check back later.
DV04
ccard257
Centerpole90
Salt of the water
AG
Fished east matty a few weeks ago. Very high tides and the reds were way back in the spartina grass chasing shrimp. Found a few fish working a marsh drain with stained water. Lined this guy on the back with my first cast and luckily he didn't spook. Second cast did the trick.

I poled my buddy up on a huge sheepy that followed for about 10 ft. His back came out of the water wiyh flared gills and fins and we thought he ate but no luck. Those things are elusive. Anyone got any good patterns?

http://i.imgur.com/HgUNlu3.jpg

I've done two fly trips now and have caught one redfish each trip. Hoping to get on more numbers of fish with fall cranking up.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Fished east matty a few weeks ago. Very high tides and the reds were way back in the spartina grass chasing shrimp. Found a few fish working a marsh drain with stained water. Lined this guy on the back with my first cast and luckily he didn't spook. Second cast did the trick.

I poled my buddy up on a huge sheepy that followed for about 10 ft. His back came out of the water wiyh flared gills and fins and we thought he ate but no luck. Those things are elusive. Anyone got any good patterns?

http://i.imgur.com/HgUNlu3.jpg[/img]" />

I've done two fly trips now and have caught one redfish each trip. Hoping to get on more numbers of fish with fall cranking up.

Sheepshead allude me as well. Such picky *******s. Saw a big black tip on the flat but biggest rod we had was a 9wt. Missed a 27" trout laid up on the grass today as well. Saw a big momma bobcat on a dredge spoil. Tried to get a good photo so I could post my 'cougar' and drive Ursas insane.
ccard257
AG
for the rook. Nice fish

TxAG-010
AG
I approve of this thread!
87Flyfisher
Salt of the water
AG
Thanks.

I tried inserting the link using the bbcode from imgur, the tried using the desktop version on my phone and the insert image button... Don't know why I can't get a picture to go up correctly.
Centerpole90
AG
From the goPro thread; Good times with CPjr.

Salt of the water
AG
Tic tic tic tic tic... Hit em!

Nice fish
NW80
AG
VERY NICE !!!!!
ccard257
AG
"rookies" can't post pics on texags.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
CP- why don't you show them the video of the poon snapping your buddy's Xi3?

Great pics. Taking the panga out in the morning tomorrow and taking my dad fishing. Don't know if it will be fly fishing because he doesn't fly fish. Plus, I haven't bought a push pole yet.

And on top of all that there's an electrical problem in the towing set up on my truck so the lights on the trailer don't work. I've checked all the fuses and it's fine. Trailer does fine when hitched to another vehicle. So it's something between the plug and the power supply.
RickSawyer
AG
Just going to keep content up here that I think is cool and hope you guys do too...

I posted this a while back. The gentleman in the short went to A&M Galveston with me, originally from Texas City. Lives in Jacksonville now. Think the video does a bang up job describing trying the tight rope all of us degenerate (fly)fisherman with young kids and wife at home walk...

https://vimeo.com/137149802
Centerpole90
AG
I was going to start leaking some of that stuff out on the tarpon thread as we went into the winter doldrums in preparation for SK season 2. Right now I'm in denial that things are done for the year. Weather not cooperating, red tide, a coupe cold fronts, cooler water; I just feel it slipping away. There would only be a few days left if conditions were 'normal' anyway. I was hoping to lure Margo back before long to give us a first hand report of fishing the Golden Fly. That and BKC has hinted at a treasure trove of video he might share with us.

That said, this thread is long overdue l, thanks RS. Glad there are enough of we featherbrains here to make a viable community.
BKClark
AG
I've sent Centerpole a couple of items. If he'd be so kind to post. I'm @ the office and can't get it done right now and won't be able to for a couple of days.

Anyway awesome thread.

Let's keep it near the top
Salt of the water
AG
Any of yall interested in a mail in fly swap? Mail in multiple flies of one of your favorite patterns and get back one of everyone else's.

I'm a novice and can't tie anything fancy yet, but this would give me a good reason to learn a pattern really well. I'd be happy to handle the mail if there is enough interest.
ccard257
AG
I'm in.
Centerpole90
AG
In.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Any of yall interested in a mail in fly swap? Mail in multiple flies of one of your favorite patterns and get back one of everyone else's.

I'm a novice and can't tie anything fancy yet, but this would give me a good reason to learn a pattern really well. I'd be happy to handle the mail if there is enough interest.
Gives me an excuse to finally buy a vice and try and learn. Hope you guys love getting complete sht in exchange for your artwork because that is no doubt what mine will look like for a while....
RickSawyer
AG
I have no skin in this game but always like to share local Texas skiffs when they pop up... This one in San Antonio.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/5246681685.html
Centerpole90
AG
BKClark is out today and sends his regards to rub it in- Y'all will have to take camera orientation up with him when he gets back.

cheezag03
AG
Papa he's a wishing
We could go fishing
but here I am laying at work

Maybe mama will be in the kitchen cooking fried chicken
Salt of the water
AG
That's a good looking little skiff!

You're in the Houston area right? I've got a starter vise (given to me) and am looking for a better one. I'd be happy to pass it along so you can get your feet wet with tying.
SaltyFly11
I approve of this thread!
And I think I could be in for a fly swap.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
That's a good looking little skiff!

You're in the Houston area right? I've got a starter vise (given to me) and am looking for a better one. I'd be happy to pass it along so you can get your feet wet with tying.
Yes, I am down in Seabrook but work in Greenway. Anything but a starter vice would be wasted on me.
SaltyFly11
Do any of you that fish Galveston area frequently think it would be worth a shot tomorrow? I've got a free day for once and thinking about giving it a go. I have heard the red tides are bad right now and not sure how this cool front will affect the fishing. Still trying to find my first Galveston red so any help would be appreciated!
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Do any of you that fish Galveston area frequently think it would be worth a shot tomorrow? I've got a free day for once and thinking about giving it a go. I have heard the red tides are bad right now and not sure how this cool front will affect the fishing. Still trying to find my first Galveston red so any help would be appreciated!
Red tide isnt bad. You talking beach or West Bay? Look for falling tide... Its been pretty good.
NW80
AG
Go For It !!!!
The only way you learn is to try and..... fail occasionally.

But, a bad day poling is better than ....

It's a great way to learn to pole your boat if nothing else. Go with the understanding you're learning your skiff.
If you catch something... even better!
SaltyFly11
In the bay. Launching out of the state park is the only area I have explored much and seen a few.
I wish I had a skiff! That will happen at some point but not yet. I'll be in a kayak for now. If anyone else wants to go let me know. I have 2 kayaks.

I will be learning for sure! Hopefully that will result in some catching as well.
gillom
AG
North Wind... water should be clear. No experience poling but Christmas Bay and the north shoreline of West Bay is where I'd look. There are also lots of back waters in East Bay around the refuge.
RickSawyer
AG
Quote:

In the bay. Launching out of the state park is the only area I have explored much and seen a few.
I wish I had a skiff! That will happen at some point but not yet. I'll be in a kayak for now. If anyone else wants to go let me know. I have 2 kayaks.

I will be learning for sure! Hopefully that will result in some catching as well.

There is a yak launch halfway down ...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Took my dad out in the panga today. Launched out of Waterman's on West Bay. The fly rods stayed stowed because the wind was way up and the water was dirty. Hit the flats on the north shoreline where we found some decent water and managed a decent flounder on a DOA shrimp. Saw some tailing action but couldn't get to them. The panga floats in less than 10" but I don't have a push pole yet and the trolling motor was no good in that depth.

I'm very impressed with this boat so far but I managed to lose my Costas today. Took them off to put on some sunscreen and the wind blew them off the deck and into the water and I couldn't find them.

On the plus side, having the remote control trolling motor can be a game changer working the jetties or beach front for tarpon. That thing is super cool.

Sorry, no pics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.