Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,955 Views | 3071 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by AgFlyGuy
Ayto Siks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I missed it - I'll have to go check out the Hawley IG. The wind has been outrageous all spring. Balancing on the casting platform would be dicey with the gusts and swells lately.
Whitehouse Road
AG
Thanks! Sounds like a good starting place to try and learn.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Anybody caught anything lately? I flung a clouser in the surf a bit 2 or 3 weeks ago but it was chocolate milk and rough.

Cabelas has their cgr ii glass rods on sale, just grabbed a 7/8 for right under $60 shipped
Ayto Siks
I've had a pretty good summer on guided trips in the Everglades.

Highlights have been some smedium tarpon and a triple tail that floated into the backcountry. My buddy missed it, but it was cool to see a big 'ol triple tail laying sideways.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Been great along the Texas Coast the last month or so, better than expected. Thinking most of these storms and tidal surges have pushed the reds back into the marsh. Went out last week and probably had the single best day chasing schools around Galveston.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Guess I've been doing it wrong!
poet0715
AG
AgFlyGuy - I hope it stays that way.

Wife & I are fly fishing out of Arroyo City on Friday. Hopefully the weather & fish will cooperate.

I'll report back on the conditions of the Lower Laguna Madre ASAP.

Can't Wait!
BullSprig07
AG
Caught my first salty fish on the fly this weekend, then caught my second the next cast. The lights in Jamaica beach were a blast this weekend. Kids probably caught 100 sand trout under popping corks.
LRHF
AG
Incredibly happy fishing The early fall in The Rockies but looking forward to November on the gulf coast! Cant wait to post this fall!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
congrats on your first saltwater fish on the fly!!!

My $60 CGR came in. Arrived in about a 8ft shipping tube. I'm thinking "did I order a 1-piece?" but nope, regular size breakdown rod tube inside that 8ft shipping tube...excited to get it out and blow some shots!
TarponChaser
Nice job Water Turkey. T&P for your bank account.

I haven't had a chance to fish much the last month or so but I'm watching the weather closely because it's already turning on in the marsh and if it drops the temps and we get a couple days of light winds over the next 10 days or so I'm playing hooky from work and hitting the flats.
AgFlyGuy
AG
TarponChaser said:

T&P for your bank account.

This got me thinking, I'd never added it all up because it's all been acquired over several years. Did so yesterday and Holy S***.

I've got 4,5,6,6,7,8,8,8,9,10,12, a few sets of waders, boots, and at least 1 reel for each rod. I think I need help....or a new 11wt.
BullSprig07
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

TarponChaser said:

This got me thinking, I'd never added it all up because it's all been acquired over several years. Did so yesterday and Holy S***.

I've got 4,5,6,6,7,8,8,8,9,10,12, a few sets of waders, boots, and at least 1 reel for each rod. I think I need help....or a new 11wt.

Well I bought my first rod in June and my second in July so ya at this rate I'll have a similar Arsenal by next year
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
go the other way. Big bluegill on a 2 or 3wt is silly fun
TarponChaser
AgFlyGuy said:

TarponChaser said:

I'm not gonna go count.
Duncan Idaho
AgFlyGuy said:

TarponChaser said:

2 years ago, I had a project in MSP. I asked the client "any suggestions on what to do this weekend?"

"You can head over to WI and go fly fishing on the kinnickinnic"

Somehow that 5wt and handful of flies I bought at Cabela's that evening has turned into 3 different 3wts, 2 different 5wt, a 7wt , 2 different 8wt, a 9wy and enough tying materials to open a hobby lobby

dr_boogs
AG
Fished out of Rockport Wednesday morning. Had a great trip. Wind was up and water quality wasn't great for locating fish, but had my 9 year old out for his first flats trip ever. He had a blast.

My guide runs a sweet Maverick Mirage 17. We connected on a red in the bottom of the 9th and that sealed the deal. My little guy is hooked. He's got me looking at flats boats, so Finn (or whatever your handle is now), keep the skiff posts coming.

texican08
AG
Heading down to Belize tomorrow. Moved the trip 4 time and I'm jonesing. . Living on the coast here in CC has been awesome through all this pandemic, but I'm needing to swap some redfish for poon.
TexasAg2017
AG
Is anyone on here running a Sabine Micro within an hour or two of Rockport? After a little over a year of running my mitzi 16 I have found some things I like and don't like. I've been tossing up the idea of selling the skiff and moving on to something a little bigger with more deck space and storage.
RickSawyer
AG
Reach out to Owen Gayler, he runs one in POC

https://www.txcoastalexperience.com/

LRHF
AG
Heading down to POC this afternoon. Boat captain requested a few gurglers, these ought to work! Super excited to hit the coast again!
TarponChaser
Ben Gossett from Bayou City Angler also runs a Sabine Micro that I think he keeps in POC as well.

Or reach out to Brian Little and he can put you in touch with Sabine owners.

Headed to Louisiana next weekend- can't wait. These are some highlights from my trip there last November.

https://instagr.am/p/B4urDnbh6og
Hewey Calloway
AG
Texican how'd that Belize trip go? We went last year in December and it was incredible. I'm itching to get back down there.
texican08
AG
It was awesome as always, I love July/August down there due to the weather and migratory tarpon season. This trip had some rain/clouds but the fishing was hot. The highlight for me was a double slam one day (juvi poon and 4 lb permits). I jumped some others but I would say overall my wife had the better trip. I want to say she was 3 permits and 5-6 tarpon, highlight for her being this big girl below. She had a shot at a slam most days but just couldn't time the perm/tarpon on the right days. The tide was really high the entire time...made it really cool on her big girl because we were targeting bones and tarpon on the same flat. We were in some good size bones (for down there) right before she hooked her big poon.

Also this needlefish that stole my fly from a permit.

Hewey Calloway
AG
That's awesome. I wish I could get my wife into fly fishing. She just doesn't have the patience to learn from me and I don't have the patience to teach her. I'm already working on my 2 year old daughter though. She loves watching me cast in the back yard.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Nice. Keep at it. I've been working on my 6 year old. She does much better on the skiff without any trees around (FYI go barbless lol). Still waiting for her first red fish.

LRHF
AG
POC Trip Report-

Headed down to POC on Friday afternoon to chase some reds. Hit Matagorda Bay on the way. Caught some juvenile fish but nothing worth pixelating.

Checked into the Poco Loco motel (great place! Free ice, good parking for the skiff, cable tv and a small kitchen!)

Saturday morning started with lows in the 60's. Heard down to Charlie's to launch. Crossed the bay and saw some birds working. Picked up a couple of trout tossing clouser minnows. Headed to the mangroves and poled around looking forward reds. Found a few keepers but wasn't as good as we've been hearing about. After cleaning fish, the stomachs were completely empty. The fish we found were caught sight fishing. We caught enough fish but it wasn't exactly on fire and low fish numbers. Finished the day with a couple of beers, a boat ride home and some Aggie football!

Sunday morning- super foggy morning! No trout fishing bc of the fog. Super slow morning blind casting gurglers waiting for the sun to come up. Picked up a random keeper with an aggressive topwater take. Traded places with my fishing partner and poled him around for a while until he picked up a red with a great sight cast. Another couple of small fish and we ate half a chicken, had a beer, hung out then made the boat ride back.

Has planned to head to LA for the weekend but the Weather didn't cooperate. Had a great time checking out some news areas in POC!

909Ag2006
AG
Let's see if this post works. Galveston West Bay. My PB on fly.

https://instagr.am/p/CHFz-zEhjfs
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
AgFlyGuy
AG
Very nice, those shorelines look familiar. I'm headed down and fishing all day Weds. Buddy of mine just got his new skiff, hoping for some clean water.
LRHF
AG
Prepping for a return to the Biloxi Marsh in Louisiana. Found this pattern on Moldy Chum and tying with 2/0 hooks for big bulls.

RickSawyer
AG
The legs aren't really required. I would nix those. Really just looking for something that will push a decent amount of water. We have tied some absolutely terrible flies and caught fish out that way... have fun and good luck.
Centerpole90
AG
You going guided or do you just haul over there and wing it in the marsh?
texican08
AG
I'm extra, even though I know sili legs don't make a difference I still find myself doubling down on them when I'm tying.
LRHF
AG
Centerpole90 said:

You going guided or do you just haul over there and wing it in the marsh?

We have made a few trips over the last couple of winters on our own. We have a few people we can lean on for info and pay attention to how much freshwater is moving into the marsh in addition to satellite imagery to find clean water. So much water!
Centerpole90
AG
You do that from Hopedale? I have fished from there, guided, out toward Christmas Camp Lake and Treasure Bay. But not back NE toward the wildlife management area. I've always wanted to just hook up to the skiff and strike out for it on DIY, but never found the time or adventurous soul to do it with.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.