Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,448 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Sublette County
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
A couple of weeks ago, I was admiring an osprey and trying to ID the big fish in his clutch before he disappeared into the mangroves... I grabbed my flip phone as a bald eagle came out of nowhere to harass him. That was the second time I realized it's time to upgrade cameras...

Here's the first:

This flip phone is so grainy and always cuts off my my head. Biggest ladyfish I've ever caught and I can't really prove it.

Are you sure that was a ladyfish? I know it's a grainy pic, but that looks a lot like a baby tarpon to me.
Centerpole90
AG
Wait a minute; IF that is the case it would mean this picture BKClark sent me isn't of him and a big skipjack he caught -

Ayto Siks
Yep, that's a baby tarpon alright. I was just taking a crack at the terrible photo quality before someone else did.
Sublette County
AG
quote:
Yep, that's a baby tarpon alright. I was just taking a crack at the terrible photo quality before someone else did.

I guess that whooshing sound was the joke whizzing by my head.

Carry on!
Centerpole90
AG
That you noticed means you're in the right spot!
RickSawyer
AG
Was a bit short on time so took my father-in-law to the home court marsh. Poled the back lakes, saw two big black drums that wouldn't take a fly for the life of me, caught two flounder, saw two more flounder jump fully out of the water chasing shrimp but zero signs of rat reds. Beaver got wet and lines were tight. Cant complain!
Centerpole90
AG
I'm sure you guys are all out fishing today, but that wasn't in the cards for me. I will be stoking some pits for hundreds of ribeyes @ the local livestock show dinner dance fundraiser.

So before the jackassery of the day and beer drinking starts I was getting my fishing fix and stumbled on this interview with Steve Huff for Skiff Republic. I thought it was interesting, the heritage of the poling skiff, told by one of the early innovators.

Steve Huff Interview

Ya'll catch & post pics.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I had planned to fish Monday because I was certain my office was closed and I've got a bunch of honey-do's to get done. Found out yesterday the office is open.

I know for certain I didn't work on Columbus Day last year but I can't remember if the office was closed or I just took a day.
Ayto Siks
I did a freshwater/saltwater tarpon combo today. First stop was the Everglades. A fishing guide told me about some landlocked poon stranded about a mile+ off the hwy. I followed his directions and google satellite view and made the trek into the grass. Saw a few rollers and a hefty snook @ the lake, but no takers.

Then I drove up the coast to my usual tarpon spot in the backcountry near Fort Myers. The tarpon were nowhere to be found today- didn't even see a fin to cast at. Someone beat me to the spot and left a bunch of mono and dead shrimp on the ground. I knew this spot was public, but I thought I had it to myself. Lots of casts today, zero bites. Still, very happy to be fly fishing.
Salt of the water
AG
Fished Matagorda surf this weekend. We got into some pompano using shrimp on the bottom. I threw some heavy clousers at them for about 45 minutes but couldn't get any to take.
Barnaby Stinson
AG
Spent the weekend camping and flyfishing in fence lake on the bay side of San Jose Island across from Rockport. Lots of tailing reds and black drum. Water is super high, but fishing was still very good.
RickSawyer
AG
Jealous of you giys who got some fly fishing in this weekend. I was forced to catch up on some honey do stuff, planned around the bye week. Flying to New York City tuesday and going to chase false albies with flies on Wednesday!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Hello friends, my name is Shoe and I've just been infected. Father in law had a couple of reels and rods that he has had tucked away for a long time. We took a lesson in Jackson years ago and it was a blast, fished a small stream in Colorado too, but never got out the equipment to use at the coast.

He brought it up a few weeks ago and we were finally able to locate the rods and reels that were stashed deep in a closet (he had a stroke 3 years ago so his communication is still a work in progress). In Port A, fished under the green lights this weekend with a neighbor and caught 20 or so schoolie trout using flies that the neighbor had tied. Need to make time in a few weeks to work the shallows for my first red before it starts turning cooler (as if).

Where is the best place to buy some flies and what should I go after for some redfish candy? I'm in SA and want to at least have some options next time I get a chance to head down. TIA
RickSawyer
AG
Not sure if you are in / near Houston but I get flies from Fishing Tackle Unlimited off Gulf Freeway and Fuqua. I also like the work over at http://239flies.com. Welcome aboard!
Centerpole90
AG
If you're kicking around SA there's Tacklbox Outfitters on New Braunfels Av. That's actually where I bought my first rod. Also Gruene River Outfitters in Gruene has saltwater tackle. Grab what looks good to you or what they say folks headed to the coast are buying. If those don't work on your next trip then don't buy any more of them! Usually the fly hooks you as much as the fish.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Ironically, that is where he bought the equipment a long time ago, will go check it out. Thanks.

I can rely on the neighbor too, he will have good input, but like shoes for a woman, really have to pick out a couple of my own.
Salt of the water
AG
Welcome aboard!
ccard257
AG
Anyone ever fly fished out of Cancun? We might head that way in Feb. so i'm looking for any insight on the fishing there and/or guide recs.

Salt of the water
AG
No fly fishing experience out of Cancun, so hopefully someone else can come along and give you some better recommendations. I was in Cancun earlier this year before I got into fly fishing. Walked down to the rocks at the southern end of the hotel zone (21.036911N 86.777596W) with a spinning reel in the mornings and caught a bunch of small jacks while my wife slept in. Locals were hand-lining assorted snappers with 2-3" sardines for bait. Not a bad DIY option if you want to sneak a few hours of fishing time in.

We did an excursion down to Punta Allen for a panga ride / snorkel trip. It's a very long trip to make in a day from Cancun (~3hrs one way), but just seeing the Sian Kaan biosphere made it worth the trip. The flats and reef are amazing, and I hear the fishing is awesome. No first hand reports, but I'm planning on getting back there to fly fish in the future. Saw a fishing resort called pesca maya in the biosphere and they do day trips out of Cancun http://www.pescamaya.com/en/daytrips.html.

If you found a way to get to Punta Allen yourself, I think you could rent a panga like the one below (our ride for the day) for a couple hundred dollars a day.

Ayto Siks
It's Wednesday...good luck with the albies!

I'm trying to figure out where to fish on Saturday. Not sure which is better, the surf or kayaking around the bay.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
It's Wednesday...good luck with the albies!

I'm trying to figure out where to fish on Saturday. Not sure which is better, the surf or kayaking around the bay.

Well the wind here is howling offshore so good surf bad fishing. I did go fish the 72st lake and caught a carp in a surpising scenic area despite being in the heart of upper manhattan...

The park is quite welcoming of fly fishers but it can be tricky if crowds are walking by and not a ton of space for backcasts...
Centerpole90
AG
Did you have to buy a license to fish there?
Centerpole90
AG
Episode 1 of the 5 Weight Chronicles released on Monday by Eric Estrada. Pretty cool shots of all sorts of fish on 5wts: tarpon, snook, & reds in the back country. Looks like the next episode will bridge over into freshwater too.

https://vimeo.com/140874301

Funny watching them drag that Ankona over dry land to get farther back. Definitely worth the 6 minutes.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Did you have to buy a license to fish there?
I bought a 7 day pass for like $25.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
Episode 1 of the 5 Weight Chronicles released on Monday by Eric Estrada.

That's good stuff, some impressive fish for 5wts.

Interesting note: their sponsor marshfly is a Texas based rod builder.
Centerpole90
AG
'BAMMERS DONT FISH.

BTHO bama!!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
No fishing today.

BTHObama!!!!

Since it's difficult to get your hands on elephant meat I'm doing a pork butt for pulled pork sammiches & slaw.
Centerpole90
AG
Ive budgeted a new reel's worth for hotdogs & beer. BTHO BAMA!!!!!

Salt of the water
AG
Connected with two mid slot reds today but both threw the hook. I was using a crack fly that I tied on a #6 hook.

I prefer using a #2 hook for the reds but I feel like that may be a little big for the sheepies so I tied up something smaller to try and be more versatile. Is a 6 too small for reds or was it just bad luck that they threw the hook?
BKClark
AG
Bad Luck, but a #6 is pretty small. I normally don't tie on anything smaller than a #4. #2 is what I tie on 99% of the time. Keep pounding them
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Connected with two mid slot reds today but both threw the hook. I was using a crack fly that I tied on a #6 hook.

I prefer using a #2 hook for the reds but I feel like that may be a little big for the sheepies so I tied up something smaller to try and be more versatile. Is a 6 too small for reds or was it just bad luck that they threw the hook?

Where did you fish? Was supposed to take a colleague out Wednesday but weather looks tough for upper coast balance of week...
Salt of the water
AG
Freeport marsh north of the ICW. Tide was crazy high.

Reds were schooled up in 1-2 ft of water. I boxed a quick limit on a black/chart doa shad with a few trout mixed in, then I strung up the fly rod. Poled around some and got a few hookups on the buggy whip, but the wind picked up pretty good after an hour or so. I decided to go look for a flounder to finish the slam instead of fighting the wind with the fly rod, couldn't find any.

Centerpole90
AG
You get those sheepies to eat that fly? I guess I need to go to a smaller fly. They run and hide from me. OCCASIONALLY one will follow it. I've been pretty stuck on a redfish toad; so it's a good size fly.
Centerpole90
AG
and who here has experience w Holobox? @rollingtarponcompany is new on IG and is just littering the inter webz w/ sexy tarpon pics - no way that's as legit as it looks.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
and who here has experience w Holobox? @rollingtarponcompany is new on IG and is just littering the inter webz w/ sexy tarpon pics - no way that's as legit as it looks.

Never been and I know the place is known for having a ton of tarpon but I thought it was known for just baby poon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.