Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,783 Views | 3067 Replies | Last: 48 min ago by texican08
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do we know this dude? He takes some badass pictures. Kinda makes me want to go fishing.

https://instagr.am/p/BTEtUD8j9S0
reddog90
AG
I actually have not heard of him, but just followed.
Salt of the water
AG
Quote:

Guiding off of a Hell's Bay Waterman 16', Waterman 18', & Glades Skiff

In addition to some good pictures, he has the skiff game down pat.
Centerpole90
AG
He's no pretender. His stuff is squared away.
reddog90
AG
He must be the best guide on our coast if he's got a fleet of three HBs.
Salt of the water
AG
reddog90 said:

He must be the best guide on our coast if he's got a fleet of three HBs.

Don't know... But I do know I'm envious of the fleet.
Salt of the water
AG
Went out in a friend's gheenoe today. Planned on exploring some new parts of the marsh because we figured the bite would be slow post front. Got distracted by some hungry redfish in skinny water and didn't get as much exploring done as we planned.

Ragoo
AG
Beautiful fish
Ayto Siks
That looks awesome. How close can you get without spooking a red, and how close do you cast to 'em when you see one?

I hit the beach in search of snook today. The water was clear and the fish saw me coming a mile away. After scaring off 10+, I changed to a 14 foot leader and started taking longer shots. I got a couple of really long follows before finally catching a personal best.

I try to cast in a couple inches of water and let an outgoing wave move the fly off the sand. This gal followed every bit of 50 feet before eating next to my feet...about two strips before the leader was in. Shocked she didn't bug out. And luckily the fly lodged where the leader wasn't chewable.

RickSawyer
AG
Man alive, I never get tired of seeing gin clear water on bleach white sand.
Salt of the water
AG
Ayto Siks said:

That looks awesome. How close can you get without spooking a red, and how close do you cast to 'em when you see one?

Beach snook looks awesome! I wish we had the variety that you do.

If there's no chop to make hull slap, the fish are laid up looking and away from you, and you're quiet on the pole... You can bump them with the hull. That's a whole lot of perfect conditions that have to come together and pretty rare. Most of our shots today were in the 15-30 ft range. We had one fish follow and eat about fly rod length from the boat.

I fished a dog hair fly that I've been wanting to try for a while. Dangled it cane pole style in front of a laid up fish and got the cold shoulder. Not sure if it was because I had a dark pattern in clear water, if the pattern was no good, or if the fish just didn't want to eat.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Mrs. Finn and I took the boys up to Aggieland for the weekend to see the Ags take 2 of 3 from Tennessee and teach the boys a different kind of fishing...

https://instagr.am/p/BTK_LMFAu-Q
reddog90
AG
Where is that? That water looks incredible.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

San Luis Pass on a clean tide.
gillom
rgarza35
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

reddog90 said:

San Luis Pass on a clean tide.

Glad to hear TPWD is stocking snook in West Galveston bay!
Ayto Siks
Bonita Springs, FL. The water doesn't normally look quite that clean. I took the day off and the water is murky and cloudy. Didn't see a single fish and they're probably in 1 foot of water.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Bonita Springs, FL. The water doesn't normally look quite that clean. I took the day off and the water is murky and cloudy. Didn't see a single fish and they're probably in 1 foot of water.

In all seriousness, that's excellent work. If I had that on my doorstep I'd probably have the fishing pox on a regular basis.
Salt of the water
AG
I read a poling tip today, and it got me thinking that I could up my pusherman game. I've got a handle on poling basics like keeping the boat straight in assorted wind conditions, keeping splashes and noise to a minimum, angling the boat for easier casts.

Here was the tip I read: when moving along quickly on the pole or drift, stop the boat so that the angler can strip the fly through the water instead of just pulling in slack with his strip. Currently, I'll bleed drift speed by putting the pole out in front of the boat and using sliding friction to slow down, but I've never thought about coming to a stop on each cast so the angler can strip more realisticly.

I know sun angle makes a difference on the way you should approach a flat but I haven't really started incorporating that in my plans.

What are some of the little things y'all appreciate from the person in the back of the boat that makes the magic at the pointy end possible?
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

I read a poling tip today, and it got me thinking that I could up my pusherman game. I've got a handle on poling basics like keeping the boat straight in assorted wind conditions, keeping splashes and noise to a minimum, angling the boat for easier casts.

Here was the tip I read: when moving along quickly on the pole or drift, stop the boat so that the angler can strip the fly through the water instead of just pulling in slack with his strip. Currently, I'll bleed drift speed by putting the pole out in front of the boat and using sliding friction to slow down, but I've never thought about coming to a stop on each cast so the angler can strip more realisticly.

I know sun angle makes a difference on the way you should approach a flat but I haven't really started incorporating that in my plans.

What are some of the little things y'all appreciate from the person in the back of the boat that makes the magic at the pointy end possible?
What helps me more than anything is having an understanding of the capabilities of the guys on the bow of the boat... I agree though, one of the toughest points for me is when sailing downwind controlling the drift. I tend to zig zag across the wind through the flats when the wind is really moving to keep the option of turning the boat sideways which is an easier point for me to jam the boat to a slower drift / stop. It's not perfect but I fish with a few guys so often that they also understand what is about to happen.

As the person on the back of the boat... what I appreciate more than anything is having someone on the bow that can cast in multiple conditions and understands the velocity of the boat versus their strip. The guys I fish with have enough humility that they can take my coaching as I account for our movement. Long of the short, I don't fish with *******s that complain about the guy poling the damn boat around.
Jrod05
AG
i cant seem to get the double haul down. I have a pretty tight loop and was working on a single haul and laying my backcast down because I think we may wade quite a bit. I get in my head on the double haul. this trip to mexico may be ugly....
RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

i cant seem to get the double haul down. I have a pretty tight loop and was working on a single haul and laying my backcast down because I think we may wade quite a bit. I get in my head on the double haul. this trip to mexico may be ugly....
What distance can you cast, all else equal / no wind, with your single haul?

You should get shots at bonefish with 30' cast.
Jrod05
AG
Yup I can do that. Went and took a quick brush up lesson with a guy in a round rock this morning and we worked on it. Was just freaking a little.

I have to get out of my own head though because I was adding line too early. We had a strong wind that I was casting away from which was tearing apart my back cast so he showed me to lay my back cast down.... never would have known that since I have been a conventional tackle guy for 20 years and only do small rivers here in central texas.

What do yall do to increase yalls knowledge besides fishing, practice and youtube?
RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

Yup I can do that. Went and took a quick brush up lesson with a guy in a round rock this morning and we worked on it. Was just freaking a little.

I have to get out of my own head though because I was adding line too early. We had a strong wind that I was casting away from which was tearing apart my back cast so he showed me to lay my back cast down.... never would have known that since I have been a conventional tackle guy for 20 years and only do small rivers here in central texas.

What do yall do to increase yalls knowledge besides fishing, practice and youtube?
Just get out and cast. If you have ponds near you that are easy to walk around, do that and cast all directions.

I am lucky that I picked it up at around 10-12 years old and lived on the water. We would just go on the dock and cast, cast, cast.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jrod05 said:

That's it.

I first picked up a fly rod for a little while in college but my fraternity brother who knew how to cast didn't know how to teach so my cast was a hot mess. I couldn't get it out 20 feet and I had no concept of the principles behind fly casting. Of course this was the late-90s and there weren't really videos on YouTube and I was a broke-ass student.

Then I didn't really pick it up again until probably 2004 when I bought my first fly rod. Even then I was garbage. But my brother-in-law was an excellent caster and as he was self-taught from videos and books he understood the concepts and gave me the basics.

Since then it's just practice, watching videos, and time on the water. Even now I'll troll YouTube and Vimeo for tips to help me fine tune my casting stroke because I still occasionally revert to my gear-chunking muscle memory and start throwing tailing loops all over the place.

IMHO, the #1 thing to worry about is loop control. If you can control your loop even in wind (within reason- a 30+ mph wind is just more than anybody can reasonably overcome) you'll be just fine.
RickSawyer
AG
Been keeping this one under wraps for a while but us Upper Coast guys just got a great resource. Harris is a personal friend of mine. Hoping eventually he will guide here. We fished my Waterman last Thursday. He is also taking Jarid Malone's spot Nov - Mar in Louisiana with Baron now that Jarid runs the fly shop at Gordy & Sons.

https://instagr.am/p/BTXwr7gja1r
texican08
AG
Gordy and Sons has me intrigued. I hope Bayou City Angler and them can both exist.

That casting pond that G&S has put in is pretty awesome though...
RickSawyer
AG
texican08 said:

Gordy and Sons has me intrigued. I hope Bayou City Angler and them can both exist.

That casting pond that G&S has put in is pretty awesome though...
The pond... It's gonna be stocked!
texican08
Jrod05
AG
Taking a new 7wt to Mexico next week. Can use it here for larger bass hunting and Texas coast.

This hobby has an expensive slippery slope....

RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

Taking a new 7wt to Mexico next week. Can use it here for larger bass hunting and Texas coast.

Come on! For mex you need a 7,8, and 10!!!
Salt of the water
AG
Jrod05 said:

Now that you have a 7wt, you are definitely going to need a skiff.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Jrod05 said:

Now that you have a 7wt, you are definitely going to need a skiff.

And boy do I have a deal for you!
Jrod05
AG
Y'all must have ESP.... just spent all day yesterday looking. Probably gonna wait a year since the wife wants a pool. But the Sabine skiff has me intrigued since I could double duty it in the lower Colorado and duck hunt out of it as well.

But what you got rick
Salt of the water
AG
Jrod05 said:

Y'all must have ESP.... just spent all day yesterday looking. Probably gonna wait a year since the wife wants a pool.

The skiff comes with a ton of pools - lakes, rivers, bays, beaches. Basically the world is your pool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.