Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,723 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IPilot. Game changer.
gillom
AG
I-Pilot? Never used one but they would seem to be helpful in many applications.
Centerpole90
AG
GPS enabled. Holds an anchort point, remembers a path, maintains a heading, returns to a waypoint - it's amazing. you can effortlessly cruise a jetty or channel edge regardless of the wind direction and when the boat tacks in breeze it automatically adjusts. It's like having an autopilot.
SaltyFly11
Awesome. Thanks for the advice! Is the kayak launch at the end of flamingo street where it turns back east and turns into harbor walk? I can't quite tell where else it would be on Google. And is the water clear enough to sight cast back there?
gillom
AG
Yeah... I was too slow getting my response out. I was asking Finn if that is what he was referencing.

I do see some downsides that I may just not be informed on.

Drain batteries quicker, what happens if it fails, Does it have an override with a foot or stick drive?

I would love to use it while working a ledge or grassline.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Mine isn't gps enabled. I can add it as an upgrade though. Mine is just controlled with a little key-fob sized remote.
Centerpole90
AG
Well, I assumed too much. I thought all the remote ones had the gps. My mistake.

As far as the battery drain, the only difference between it and any other is it uses a servo motor to steer, but I would think the drain for that is negligible. There is a pigtail to connect a manual control to. I don't know anyone who has anything to cconnect to it, all you l need is some AAA batteries for your remote and your remote is back in bidness.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'll possibly add iPilot later. I thought about getting it up front but given that I don't use a trolling motor much I decided to not get it. I got a lot of fancieness on this boat I've never had before so I've gotta figure out all these new tools.
RickSawyer
AG
Going to take the BT out tomorrow afternoon on the falling tide. Full report to follow...
Kalebcs
I'll play.
Most recent noteworthy catch:

Headed to the surf today to she what's hungry.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
I'll play.
Most recent noteworthy catch:

Headed to the surf today to she what's hungry.
Nice Texas Permit! How do you like your Mirage?
Kalebcs
Thanks! I love it man. Honestly I haven't been able to challenge the drag on it yet. It's very smooth reeling and keeps the sand out.
Centerpole90
AG
No fish pics today, we spent most of it looking for clear water. I was on the pole all day and let CPjr fish trying to get that first fly caught red. We got closer today than he's ever been. Having a laid up gator trout refuse his fly crushed me but he was none the wiser and took it all in stride. This view made for a great day on the water,

We did run into this particularly chatty bank fisherman who was very curious about or technique.

"Is that a CrossCurrent GLX in 7wt?"
"Why yes it is"
"Niiiiiiiicce. I'm wanting to upgrade from these paws and been eyeing one."
"Catching anything?"
"I was until a coyote came running through here and burned this shoreline. Damn Coyotes. All they do is burn shoreline."
"Well, good luck. We'll be moving along"
"Right back at ya."
RickSawyer
AG
Awesome report. Gonna try and slime the BT tomorrow if I can get a clear afternoon. Winds should calm and tide falling all day.
Salt of the water
AG
Sorry it took so long getting back to you. I work in the energy corridor, I could probably rendezvous during lunch at bw8 and Westpark.
Salt of the water
AG
Nice sheep! What kind of fly were you throwing? I've got some olive tan redfish crack flies I tied on size 6 hooks for the sheeps but I'm thinking I might need something more crab looking.
NW80
AG
quote:
No fish pics today, we spent most of it looking for clear water. I was on the pole all day and let CPjr fish trying to get that first fly caught red. We got closer today than he's ever been. Having a laid up gator trout refuse his fly crushed me but he was none the wiser and took it all in stride. This view made for a great day on the water,

We did run into this particularly chatty bank fisherman who was very curious about or technique.

"Is that a CrossCurrent GLX in 7wt?"
"Why yes it is"
"Niiiiiiiicce. I'm wanting to upgrade from these paws and been eyeing one."
"Catching anything?"
"I was until a coyote came running through here and burned this shoreline. Damn Coyotes. All they do is burn shoreline."
"Well, good luck. We'll be moving along"
"Right back at ya."

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Sorry it took so long getting back to you. I work in the energy corridor, I could probably rendezvous during lunch at bw8 and Westpark.
Sounds good but will need to be another day. Think the skiff gets christened today.
Centerpole90
AG
Anyone here into outdoor photography pretty heavy? I know a lot of fly fishermen are and some of the shots that a few guides take are amazing. I've been contemplating purchasing a second-or-third-hand DSLR and lens on the cheap, putting it in a small camera bag, and stowing in the skiff. I have room because all my fishing stuff is in a boat bag so I really don't use the big compartment I sit on for anything but safety equipment.

Using a DSLR would really shine for zoomed shots. I use my phone and it takes good pictures with no zoom, but then I come up on things like that coon, maybe a deer, coyote running a flat, or a nilgai along the bank that are really unique photograph opportunities and I can't really capitalize because the shots are so pixelated. There are a lot of cool things you see when you are sight casting or working edges that a lot of fishermen don't get the opportunity to enjoy. How cool having that much camera power can be was driven home to me last year when I was out with a friend jumping tarpon. He was on the bow he asked me to get out his camera - he had a DSLR he kept in a pelican case. He jumped a fish and BOOM; we had quality pictures of leaping fish that would have been specs in iphone photos.

I do have a goPro that I carry along but that is mainly for videoing - like the youtube video I posted above. It is not useful for taking photos (in detail) of anything farther away than an arms length. Wide angle shots are it's thing.
RickSawyer
AG
I missed a HUGE bobcat with cubs on an ICW spoil island last thursday because I was trying to take a photo with an iphone... Was super cool to see, super frustrating to see the photos.... Same boat here. Wife has been asking for a nice new camera so think I will make the investment this month for our anniversary.
Salt of the water
AG
I went back and forth between a gopro and point and shoot and decided I'd use a zoom more often than I wanted video. Ended up getting and Olympus tough camera (forget the model #). It's waterproof and can take a beating, I usually just wrap the lanyard around my grab bar on the boat so it's easy to get to. It bounces around all day no problem. It shoots decent underwater video, but that won't matter much if you have a gopro already.

I have an old handmedown dslr but don't use it very often. Packing it into a case and pulling it back out can be such a pain, even in a non outdoors setting, much less when you have a fish you want to get back into the water as quickly as possible. A good zoom lens is tough to beat, but the hassle just wasn't worth it for me.

I think the point and shoot cameras have come far enough along that you can zoom and crop something in the background of a shot and still have a decent image.

Don't grainy pixelated images make the best texags threads? You could be missing out on some quality entertainment by upping your camera game.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm not heavily into photography or anything yet but I'm working at getting better. I've got an older model DSLR, a Nikon D3000 (which needs to be replaced because my dry bag wasn't so dry ).

There's a lot newer models out there but I'm not educated enough on using them to justify the cost. Anyway, a used one can be had for less than $200.

One tool I've found is a must-have is a polarizing lens filter.
Ayto Siks
A couple of weeks ago, I was admiring an osprey and trying to ID the big fish in his clutch before he disappeared into the mangroves... I grabbed my flip phone as a bald eagle came out of nowhere to harass him. That was the second time I realized it's time to upgrade cameras...

Here's the first:

This flip phone is so grainy and always cuts off my my head. Biggest ladyfish I've ever caught and I can't really prove it.
SaltyFly11
So with the nice weather and nothing going on Saturday I decided to give it a go. I took Rick's advice and launched at the kayak launch on Flamingo. I had never been there, but it is much easier to get to rather than dealing with driving through Galveston.

I paddled to where the channel opens up into the marsh and started exploring. I think the tide was too high because I couldn't see squat. The water was murky and too deep to see the bottom. I saw tons of mullet but no signs of reds. I explored all the marshy areas without much luck. I was getting ready to go but decided to check out one last little gut at the very back of the marsh. I noticed quite a bit of movement and at the very back I saw a sheepshead. I got real close to it surprisingly but then by the time I got positioned in my kayak to make a cast I lost it. Then I looked up and saw some smaller bait and then there it was. A redfish. It seemed a little spooked already and was swimming back and forth. I got a few casts in but my kayak had spun around making it hard to cast. He darted out past me and I was bummed. Then I turned around and saw the sheepshead again. I cast to it and he followed my fly but no take. I cast again further pat him and as I was stripping it in to get closer...boom. All I see is a mouth inhale my fly on the surface. Redfish on. I almost lost him because my line had become a giant birds nest sitting in my kayak. Somehow I was able to stop him without breaking the line and untangled it. He wasn't huge, probably 21 or so but I was pumped.

I'm ready to go back out and find some more now!
Salt of the water
AG
First Galveston red! Congrats
Centerpole90
RickSawyer
AG
Well got the Beaver wet today, playing hooky this afternoon. Fished for two hours, put my buddy Nate on four fun little reds. They were keeping low but mudding.

Centerpole90
AG
The win is strong with this thread.

Gotta love the little beaver's got good mojo!
Kalebcs
Thanks bud! That was on just a simple redfish slider I got from ftu in shrimp colors. Has worked well for me on every inshore species.
Centerpole90
AG
iPhone + Instagram. The detail was richer than I expected but I think that is because I sharpened it in IG. The native picture looked totally different. This dude was caught along a spoil bank that was littered with rotting fish killed by the red tide. There was a raft of fish all along the edge that would starve a buzzard off a gut wagon. Postmortem observations are that red tide is very hard on flounder; it seemed like there were as many or more flounder in the mix than anything. The reds were pretty tight lipped but finally a little spoon fly proved to be their undoing.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Gonna try to get out there Monday.

There have been jacks & smacks around the Surfside jetties so I may head there rather than the marsh since I'm waiting on the push pole I ordered to get here.

Salt of the water
AG
Nice fish picture, impressive for a camera phone!

Bummer about the flounder, hopefully it doesn't hurt the comeback they've had in the last few years.
RickSawyer
AG
Going to take my father in law out and pole him through tomorrow morning's falling tide. Great photo Centerpole!
230Ag
AG
nice pics guys!

I'm heading out on Saturday morning to toss some flies for reds around Galveston Bay. Trying to figure out where I want to fish on Sunday though - was thinking Sunday afternoon / evening.
SaltyFly11
I'm probably gonna go out again Saturday as well. Either GISP or I may try out Pierce Marsh. I have read up a bit on it and sounds like there can be some good fishing. Planning on going in as far as I can.

What flies and colors do y'all typically use for the muddier water around here? Anything dark I'm assuming?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.