Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,495 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice.

That's a big honking ladyfish. I bet she put on an acrobatic display.
elnaco
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Nice.

That's a big honking ladyfish. I bet she put on an acrobatic display **** all over you.
Fixed it for you
rgarza35
AG
Yeah, she did several jumps, flips and took me to the backing. She had to suffice as my poor man's Tarpon for this trip
up-n-aTm
AG
elnaco said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Nice.

That's a big honking ladyfish. I bet she put on an acrobatic display **** all over you.
Fixed it for you
LMAO! So true!
Salt of the water
AG
That's a solid two days of work right there!
Ayto Siks
Went on a guided trip in the Everglades today. Had plans to target snook hiding along the freshly fallen trees courtesy of Irma.

On the way to the first spot, we paused in a basin to check for rolling tarpon. As luck would have it, there were quite a few just below the surface. Even better, thousands of tiny crabs were floating through and the tarpon were going bonkers feeding.

It took a lot of restraint to not cast at everything, but the guide polled along and picked out some fish that looked happy, slow and swimming the right direction. Long story short, I finally got on the big tarpon scoreboard. Landed two monster tarpon before needing a break.

The action had slowed down when I was ready for more punishment, so we finally went off to find snook. It didn't take long before we were sidetracked by tarpon again. These fish weren't any smaller, so I took another beating and landed another big girl. Exhausted, I convinced the guide to land one for himself. He just liked to get an eat, then shake them off at the first jump.

Finally got around to scouting for snook, and closed the day with double digits. Won't have a day this great for a long time.

Tldr pics:

Newoldarmy
AG
Very nice. Congrats.

Those eyes!
RickSawyer
AG
There ya go! Great way to jump some life back in here!
reddog90
AG
**** yeah
Salt of the water
AG
Damn dude. Crushing it!

What do the glades look like after the big blow?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Hell yeah man!

I had a ****ty day at the office and that was a needed pick-me-up. Congrats brother.
Ayto Siks
Salt of the water said:

What do the glades look like after the big blow?

The Glades looked weird... noticeably sparse and leafless. The flats were sprinkled with fallen trees, even way out towards the open gulf. We drove by one small island with 20+ crab traps stuck in the tree tops, and another island with a brand new pass cutting it in half. One of our favorite stretches of mangrove shoreline was underneath a pile of sand. The fish are happy though.
reddog90
AG
Who did you fish with?
Ayto Siks
Andy Lee from Grassroots Guiding. I fish with him a few times a year and highly recommend him for anything in the Everglades- especially tarpon.
rgarza35
AG

Way to kick it the Azz!
FBG_Ag78
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Won't have a day this great for a long time.

Congrats! Beautiful poons!
Centerpole90
AG
reddog90
AG
I'll check him out. I'm trying to swing a couple days with Sommerlatte in the glades next year while he is there.
elnaco
AG
Yassss more of this please.

Just to keep the ball rolling with this thread. Here's a few patterns that've been popping off the vise lately.

Rick's comment about one of my recent patterns reminding him of a slider got me thinking of giving it a slider twist. This was the result. I'm thinking I may downsize it and toss it at carp as well.

Also got some casting practice in the other day. I found that toddlers make for good live targets. They're unpredictable but make some decent runs before losing interest and dropping the fly.

RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Yassss more of this please.

Just to keep the ball rolling with this thread. Here's a few patterns that've been popping off the vise lately.

Rick's comment about one of my recent patterns reminding him of a slider got me thinking of giving it a slider twist. This was the result. I'm thinking I may downsize it and toss it at carp as well.

Also got some casting practice in the other day. I found that toddlers make for good live targets. They're unpredictable but make some decent runs before losing interest and dropping the fly.

The key with toddlers is a firm strip set.
Salt of the water
AG
Good looking flies naco! Just in time for the fall shrimp and crab feast that's kicking off in the marsh.

I'm a little worried someone at Bertram cracked open my head and flow charted my thought process on skiffs...
https://instagr.am/p/BZMDrFZAPUW
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone thrown one of these? Seems like the 9/10 would make a good close quarters rod for snook and poon in the mangroves.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-hawgleg-fly-rod
Ayto Siks
Never used one of those, or any rod shorter than 9' for that matter. I like the sound of mangrove snook and tarpon though.

My coworker has been bragging about reds around Tampa lately. Made a 5 hour drive (round trip) to check it out yesterday, but we didn't have any luck. Caught some half pound mangrove snapper on an 8wt just to avoid a shutout- wasn't very rewarding.

The same friend caught a barracuda on his spinning rod and called it a Spanish mackerel. Now I'm wondering if the "redfish" he's been seeing are actually mullet.
elnaco
AG
Salt of the water said:

Anyone thrown one of these? Seems like the 9/10 would make a good close quarters rod for snook and poon in the mangroves.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-hawgleg-fly-rod

TFO used to make a TiCRX in 7'6" that always interested me in getting in a 6 or 8wt for quick short shots at reds. 9/10 would probably be pretty money for pulling fish out of cover and that price point would be about where I could justify such a specialty use rod.

My mother in law was in town last week so I was able to sneak out for post baby Friday the 13th trip. Appropriately spooky foggy morning. Fog didn't end up burning off until around 10 so there was that.

Tide was high and there's still about an extra 0.5-1" of water in the bay so the fish were all spread out and up in the grass. This guy was hustling shrimp way back in the grass but made the mistake of getting a little too close to the edge.

Ended up catching one more red wading then had a major dub flub on a pod of about 10 reds working a shoreline. Right as I was leaving the tide had finally dropped enough to pull some shrimp out of the grass and that pod of reds was taking advantage. They were working a shoreline moving fast away from me so I poled after them and got into position. I put my fly out in front of the school and one of the fish surged forward, ate and started swimming towards me. What happened next was some Friday the 13th evil juju bc the eat just froze me for about a second or two. I just stopped and watched the fish cruise me way. All the while the wind is pushing me towards him. Eventually, I snap to and go to strip set him but I've now got about 5ft of slack in my line that I strip like a mad man to get out. I eventually catch back up but I guess the fish realized he was munching on feathers and worked it back up so I stripped the fly out of his mouth. The whole school blew out before I could recast and I cried a little as the mud boils settled around me.... good times.

On another note, how do you guys clean your fly lines? I just spooled up some new line for this last trip and I forgot how good line should shoot. I usually just soak it in warm fresh water after a trip, then strip in through a clean cloth. I've heard mixed opinions on using fly line dressings and cleaners or armor all but want to try and do a better job of preserving this lines shooting ability as much as possible.
elnaco
AG
Ayto Siks said:

The same friend caught a barracuda on his spinning rod and called it a Spanish mackerel. Now I'm wondering if the "redfish" he's been seeing are actually mullet.
"Friend"
Salt of the water
AG
Long, silvery, and toothy it's all the same right?

The shorter rods are nice in close quarters and most of them have actions that are tailored to making close shots. They aren't as easy to carry a bunch of line with and somewhat disadvantage you when wading in deeper water. For the glades fishing you do, you may really enjoy one.

I took a break from working on the Gheenoe and did a quick wade yesterday morning. Got one tailing red to eat and it came right at me through the grass and couldn't set the hook on it. Saw a few other tailing fish in the distance but by the time I got close enough for a shot they were gone.

I made a bad call in the morning and left the truck with the glass rod and light flies (the glass doesn't throw heavy flies well) since the wind wasn't blowing. Texas tides are running really high right now and I probably would have had better success throwing a heavier fly in deeper water since a front was on the way.
elnaco
AG
Not mine, but a sexy boat she is

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2409090
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

Not mine, but a sexy boat she is

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2409090
Hmm, for that price I think I would sell my '07 as well. I know folks have their opinions on tunnel versus V but I can say, for what I like to do, I don't think I would ever do tunnel. Great for running long distances in shallow open water but terrible when running tight through the marsh and you continue to slide your ass into the bank in corners...

Your mileage may vary.
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

I know folks have their opinions on tunnel versus V but I can say, for what I like to do, I don't think I would ever do tunnel. Great for running long distances in shallow open water but terrible when running tight through the marsh and you continue to slide your ass into the bank in corners...

Your mileage may vary.
I don't believe you, I'll need to ride on your skiff to confirm and probably fish too just to be certain.

I still need to get you those flies for you to field test for me.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

RickSawyer said:

I know folks have their opinions on tunnel versus V but I can say, for what I like to do, I don't think I would ever do tunnel. Great for running long distances in shallow open water but terrible when running tight through the marsh and you continue to slide your ass into the bank in corners...

Your mileage may vary.
I don't believe you, I'll need to ride on your skiff to confirm and probably fish too just to be certain.

You don't have to twist my arm.
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

elnaco said:

RickSawyer said:

Your mileage may vary.

Does running the new skiff in the marsh make you wish you were still twisting a tiller arm? Speed knob on the wheel?

Tunnels aren't that bad once you get used to do the "point and shoot" drill with the throttle.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

RickSawyer said:

elnaco said:

RickSawyer said:

Your mileage may vary.

Does running the new skiff in the marsh make you wish you were still twisting a tiller arm? Speed knob on the wheel?

Tunnels aren't that bad once you get used to do the "point and shoot" drill with the throttle.
Yes it does but the speed knob helps. It was an adjustment for sure.
Ayto Siks
Digging the write-up and pics.

Re: line cleaning... I use dish soap and warm water as well. Bought a cleaning kit with felt pads, but didn't notice a big difference. My line gets torn up from walking the beach, so I usually replace it before cleaning it too many times. My main problem isn't dirt or abrasion, it's the welded loop peeling away at the seam.
Newoldarmy
AG
I've just been cutting them off and doing nail knots to make a new loop once they get worn.

Those welded loops are trash, but the way lines are made now makes the nail knot deal hard because the line cover slips on the core.

Definitely either a conspiracy to sell more line or a manufacturing deficit.
elnaco
AG
Have either of you tried making a spliced loop out of hollow core spetra to replace welded loops? I've never tried but I've heard this works well and is a better long term solution.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.