Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,638 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by dr_boogs
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah the Arroyo has some resident juvis and snook. Allegedly the old arroyo holds some bigguns too. I'm more interested in the spot I posted above bc it's way closer to me in Sargent off of Caney Creek.
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

elnaco said:

Rick I saw your post in the Hurricane thread about your dad's sailboat, really hope it survived bud.

Still can't get an answer down there on the status of Callisto man. Been scowering social media to try and find her without much luck yet.
I'll be pulling for y'all man. From your pics she looked like a mono hull. Those can weather some pretty crazy stuff so I'll be hoping for the best.
RickSawyer
AG
This wouldn't be her first big storm but would be her first storm of this magnitude. From the footage I have found I am not holding my breath.
rather be fishing
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Ahrgghh.. Things on the beach don't look here until mid-next week when the winds swing around and flatten the Gulf back out.

Well that's not promising but I was planning on hitting a spot salt recommend that's inshore so we'll see.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

This wouldn't be her first big storm but would be her first storm of this magnitude. From the footage I have found I am not holding my breath.

Man, I hope she comes out OK. Has to be a sickening feeling to be here and see the devastation there.

We've been pretty worried about our friends on St. John- we got word that 2 of them are OK but they haven't been able to check on their sailboat, the Kekoa, that they anchored in Hurricane Hole on the south side of St. John but have not heard from a couple other people.

As bad as Harvey was here the pics coming out of the Caribbean are just gut-wrenching, they look like the pics in the aftermath of the Mt. St. Helens eruption- mountainsides just laid bare.
rather be fishing
AG
Braved the 20+ mph gusts and hit myself in the back with the fly several times, but I manage to put one decent cast in position on a red that was feeding on the leeward side of a mangrove clump. Going to attempt to hit it again in the morning before I have to book it for Austin. Hoping for some lighter winds.

rather be fishing
AG
Forgot to add... had one shot at a sheeps head and of course I didn't compensate enough for the wind and laid the fly line down right on its back.
Salt of the water
AG
Nice work for a work day outing!
Ayto Siks
Good deal. That sheep wouldn't eat anyway
Finn Maccumhail
AG
rather be fishing said:

Forgot to add... had one shot at a sheeps head and of course I didn't compensate enough for the wind and laid the fly line down right on its back.

Ayto is right.

Even if you had laid that fly perfectly in front of that sheepshead 99% of the time they will blow out in abject terror of a 1" piece of fluff like somebody dropped a hand grenade in the water.

Good work dude.
RickSawyer
AG
I witnessed a sheepshead spook 100' away during spring breeding season when they are most apt to eat. Normally that fish would never be within shot but water was super clear that day and picked it up tailing. We witnessed easily over 50 sheepy's tailing on grass flats that day. Jarid Malone was on the bow, false casting about 80' of line when it happened.

To this day I have brought one.... ONE to hand. I have had half a dozen eats. I have cast at one billion.
Centerpole90
AG
I saw your IG post yesterday and without reading the caption knew where it was. When I saw Brian in it I was REALLY scratching my head wondering if we knew each other some other way!! He's in the rural water supply industry and deals with a lot of Ags - so it would not be that far fetched that y'all were there together.

Small world. Reach out if you ever get to Harlingen but have to turn North up my way.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

I witnessed a sheepshead spook 100' away during spring breeding season when they are most apt to eat. Normally that fish would never be within shot but water was super clear that day and picked it up tailing. We witnessed easily over 50 sheepy's tailing on grass flats that day. Jarid Malone was on the bow, false casting about 80' of line when it happened.

To this day I have brought one.... ONE to hand. I have had half a dozen eats. I have cast at one billion.

Truth.

And the one sheepie I did land was because I was casting to a red cruising along an edge and the sheepie I never saw raced over our of deeper water and took the fly out from under the red's nose.
Salt of the water
AG
A little Friday afternoon chuckle for yall.
https://instagr.am/p/BYx6eZWjzM8

I'm sure most of us have been there done that at some point. I know I did that to my tarpon guide in the keys last year and naco a couple times when I was getting started.
elnaco
AG
I don't know if you've flubbed one as bad as that one salt. We've probably all been there but that one looked bad. Cringe worthy for sure. I don't know where he was trying to go with that first cast, it's almost like he didn't see the school or something. All that room to cast out in front of the school early and he starts with trying to make a backcast instead of just making a normal cast? That one may be the guides fault though bc he says something along the lines of "cast it where you just casted" before that first cast so maybe he was just trying to listen too much to the guide.

Dang I need to go fishing.
Ragoo
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Good deal. That sheep wouldn't eat anyway
umm, are you getting out of dodge?
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

I don't know if you've flubbed one as bad as that one salt. We've probably all been there but that one looked bad. Cringe worthy for sure. I don't know where he was trying to go with that first cast, it's almost like he didn't see the school or something. All that room to cast out in front of the school early and he starts with trying to make a backcast instead of just making a normal cast? That one may be the guides fault though bc he says something along the lines of "cast it where you just casted" before that first cast so maybe he was just trying to listen too much to the guide.

Dang I need to go fishing.
Me and you both. That is reason number 1 why it would be tough to be a guide. I would want to use a front door kick into the square of that guys back for blowing that shot. That says more about me than the other angler.
K Bo
AG
Sheesh, now I'm going to be [even more] self conscious on the bow of your boat.
Ayto Siks
Yes sir. I was in New Orleans for Katrina and waited too long to leave... it took forever to get to the airport. Told myself I'd never wait to evacuate ever again. Posting up in Birmingham for the next several days and hoping for the best.
elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

Me and you both. That is reason number 1 why it would be tough to be a guide. I would want to use a front door kick into the square of that guys back for blowing that shot. That says more about me than the other angler.
How I imagine you'd react if someone accidentally hooked you on a backcast.

Edit: I'd why that gif posted 3 times
RickSawyer
AG
Ironically enough, kbo looks exactly like that little boy.
Ayto Siks
I would understand if a guide "front door kicked" me after that casting display.

And now to get it out of my mind so I don't repeat it:

https://instagr.am/p/BYyB7DtDd3X
TxAG-010
AG
I think we've all been there....maybe just not quite as bad! ha

When I was fishing in the Keys last year I had a complete 'Permit-itus' breakdown when a 20# permit was cruising right at me 20ft away...I just flat out blew it. Even my wife was laughing along with the guide. Those damn permit are my kryptonite, yet I want more and more!
Salt of the water
AG
I don't think that video you posted will be any good. Their #hashtag game looks weak so they must not be elite.
rather be fishing
AG
#hashtags
K Bo
AG
RickSawyer said:

Ironically enough, kbo looks exactly like that little boy.

It's true. I likely throw the same, as well.
CSTXAg92
AG
reddog90 said:

This is not their normal hectic feeding action, but shows the water depth and clarity. I counted 16 one morning.

Fishing grounds.

Snorkeling with big black tips. We saw turtles, eagle rays, and big lemon sharks diving.
Reddog - What did you shoot these pics with?
rather be fishing
AG
BTW, weather sucked in Brownsville this morning.
rather be fishing
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I saw your IG post yesterday and without reading the caption knew where it was. When I saw Brian in it I was REALLY scratching my head wondering if we knew each other some other way!! He's in the rural water supply industry and deals with a lot of Ags - so it would not be that far fetched that y'all were there together.

Small world. Reach out if you ever get to Harlingen but have to turn North up my way.
If they keep building cell towers or adding crap into the lease areas, and I keep getting last minute work trips, there's a good chance I'll be down there again.

Next time I'm down I'll have you hold up a wind screen so I can cast where the fish are instead of aiming 10ft left.
Salt of the water
AG
It'd been too long. High tides, Harvey runoff, and a stiff North wind made it a tough day, but this slob made it worth it.

rgarza35
AG
I spent the last 2 days with Captain Eric Glass on the Laguna Madre. We had an extremely productive 2 days. Snook, Ladyfish, Drum, Specks & Reds!!

Captain Eric Glass

A few pics of our catch;

Micro Slam

Snook

Ladyfish

Drum

Mucho Trucha

Reds

From the platform

texican08
AG
Awesome! I'm heading down to CC Thursday and fishing with Marcus Haralson, hopefully we'll have the same fortune you did...
Centerpole90
AG
That's awesome! Eric is a super nice guy. I've never fished with him but I've spoken with him several times about boat setup and fishing - always enjoyed it.

I know where this is but never taken the time to haul down there and actually go. Is the snook action decent?

rgarza35
AG
It is dependent on the tides. Snook are like fresh water trout, they need current! Our action was fair to good as we caught the tail end of an out going tide. It is best when you can be there when the tide begins to fall. The snook hide in the concrete rip rap and rocks, then dart out to grab bait fish in the falling tide. I had never caught a Snook before so I asked Eric to give it a try. We were there for about 3 hours and landed about 8 snook, a couple of specks and the lady.

I guess if you planned your trip around the tides, it would be
a great snook haul.
reddog90
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

reddog90 said:

This is not their normal hectic feeding action, but shows the water depth and clarity. I counted 16 one morning.

Fishing grounds.

Snorkeling with big black tips. We saw turtles, eagle rays, and big lemon sharks diving.
Reddog - What did you shoot these pics with?
Underwater photos are screen grabs from gopro hero 5 black videos. Pano is just an iphone 6.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.