Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,437 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw a thread on Micro a while back about them. Apparently their work is top notch but there are occasional issues with the business practices.

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2001-waterman-restore-2016.37214/

Thinking about taking the Beav to Florida for some work?
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

I saw a thread on Micro a while back about them. Apparently their work is top notch but there are occasional issues with the business practices.

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2001-waterman-restore-2016.37214/

Thinking about taking the Beav to Florida for some work?

The Beav is fine and going nowhere. Have my eyes on something else.
Salt of the water
AG
How about an excuse for a couple trips to Charleston and a redone whaler for when galvetraz is rough? Trips to Charleston are usually an easy sell to the womenfolk.

https://instagr.am/p/BF43IDQlYt_

http://www.spartinacompany.com/about-1/
RickSawyer
AG
I have a 17' Mauntauk with a 90hp yam 2stk also!
Salt of the water
AG
Clean looking mav hpx for 16k in Corpus. https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/5985387633.html
RickSawyer
AG
If it weren't the tunnel it would be tempting. There are a two other local skiffs up right now...

A nice whipray classic in Houston too (35k)
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5979413136.html

Nice BT
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/5956808257.html
Ayto Siks
Been fly fishing in the ditches and canals that lead to the bay system lately. It's been fun trying to cast short and accurately next to mangroves. One inch out of the drip line and the fish won't even look at the fly.

Picked up a few snook and a mangrove snapper, but only have terrible pics to show for it. Still haven't caught a red or sheep... ever.

Also, ripped out the old Rio line and replaced it with SA Mastery Grand Slam taper on my 10wt. The line feels overweight and awkward, but it loads fast and glides well. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon bc i heard tarpon are showing up early.

Salt, did you venture into the marsh this weekend?

Salt of the water
AG
I'd trade the variety you catch for redfish any day.

Yep I took the panga to the marsh and poled my dad around. He got one solid red that was working alongside a heron on a lee shore. I almost talked him into throwing the fly rod but he chickened out.

Saw a couple tailers wave at us from out of casting range, but never got any close up action. One was a quick tip up type trailer and the other did a full blown headstand.

Did see a backer chase bait up onto a shallow bar. Neat to watch the fish get up to his eyeballs in air, even though my dad threw his direction and couldnt connect.

I threw the buggy whip for a bit on a couple drifts. No bites or bumps for me.
Ragoo
AG
Holy Mother of God

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2014-east-cape-vantage-vhp.42607/
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

Holy Mother of God

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/2014-east-cape-vantage-vhp.42607/
My only issue with the VHP boats is the draft numbers of 8-12" and I've heard its a chore to pole all day. Obviously that isn't a problem for tarpon but and trolling motors. Here on the upper coast those draft numbers would make for some challenging days where water clarity is key. Further south I think that boat would be just fine.
AggieArcher17
AG
Where would y'all recommend a college aged student without a boat go to try and fly fish on the coast here? I'm familiar with the Port A Jetty's and have surf fished a lot, but not sure how practical either one is for trying to fly fish.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Where would y'all recommend a college aged student without a boat go to try and fly fish on the coast here? I'm familiar with the Port A Jetty's and have surf fished a lot, but not sure how practical either one is for trying to fly fish.

Where do you live?

If you're around Port A, you can walk in at the east end of Brown & Root, Wilson's Cut and fish roughly to the north between there & Shamrock Cove. You can also walk in and fish Packery Flats.

As for the jetties, lots of guys fly fish off the jetties. I've not fished the Port A jetties but I have the Surfside Jetty. And fly fishing in the surf is lots of fun.
AggieArcher17
AG
In College Station now but probably will end up in the Houston area after graduation. Surfside Jetties are new to me, but I'm willing to try them! What are the species caught there on the fly commonly?
RickSawyer
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

In College Station now but probably will end up in the Houston area after graduation. Surfside Jetties are new to me, but I'm willing to try them! What are the species caught there on the fly commonly?
Specks, spanny, jack crevelle, sometimes reds.

You should look into getting yourself into a kayak and that will open up your fly fishing horizons a lot!
AggieArcher17
AG
I honestly am currently. I've just never enjoyed trying to fly fish sitting on a kayak. If I do get one I'd like to be able to stand up to spot fish and cast, I think that's my biggest hangup.
Salt of the water
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Whats your vehicle? 4x4 really helps open up some lower pressure spots.
AggieArcher17
AG
4X4 F-150, and I use it!
Ragoo
AG
I just think it is beautiful to look at.
RickSawyer
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

I honestly am currently. I've just never enjoyed trying to fly fish sitting on a kayak. If I do get one I'd like to be able to stand up to spot fish and cast, I think that's my biggest hangup.
If you really wish to get into some of the back lakes, marshes etc... you will really want a kayak. The marsh mud will whip your tail. I agree with your sentiments on kayaks and only really fish them in the lights at night. I finally pulled the trigger on a skiff about two years back and it was one of the most fun investments I have ever made.

It's a slippery slope.
Centerpole90
AG
Tarponfly had one. Remember, it was posted here once, he didn't have it long and went the opposite way. He has a Caimen now and loves it. He traded for the reasons you mentioned: great boat for a guy who spends a bunch of time out front, but not as appealing when you're stalking on the flats.
Salt of the water
AG
Ragoo said:

I just think it is beautiful to look at.

This seafoam and faux teak ankona keeps popping up on my insta... I know I'm not the only one on here with a soft spot for that color combo.

https://instagr.am/p/BQv8bbrgqQI
Salt of the water
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

4X4 F-150, and I use it!

Lots of off the beaten path wade in spots between San Luis pass and the Colorado River (Matagorda). Not a bad drive down from CS to that area either.

Galveston has good fishing but it's tough to get away from other people there, so I tend to go elsewhere. You may enjoy it, and there's lots of tips on the OB for fishing west galv. by foot.

Here's a nice flat at Mitchells cut in Sargent. Parts of it are soft mud but usually if you hug the bank you'll be ok. It's close to a pass to the Gulf so it gets good current movement which means the reds like it there.

There's a similar flat by Bryan beach and the mouth of the Brazos. You can also go north from Sargent to cedar lakes area (hard driving). A pass was open to Gulf at one point which should have given some good fishing.

Matagorda is probably your best bet. Tons of walk in wade spots from matagorda beach to East matty. You'll have to explore and experiment until you find the sandy bottom areas. I've done most of my exploring around brown cedar cut but there are sand bottoms and grass beds sprinkled along the beach side shore of EMB. You also have the option of hitting the surf if you see cruising jacks or the water is trout green.

Google Earth is your friend. You're a good drive away from the coast, so scout as much as you can on GE before you go.

If you end up in the tine after graduation (May 17?) hit me up. Sometimes I'm looking for a fluff chucker to fill the skiff last minute.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm a big fan of the sea foam and teak. That's my plan for the project skiff. No real exciting news yet, still sanding and grinding. Sea foam all over, faux teak cockpit floor, and faux teak on the poling platform.

I'll also second East Matty. We used to drive up the beach, find a cut and drive back to the back lakes there. Hauled the kayak and later my Gheenoe there but I haven't fished there in years.
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

Going to do something different here and make this first post a guide to all the tips, fun stories, fly tying, skiff picking, equipment reviews embedded deep within here... Check back later.

Chronicling the skiff picking alone is a major undertaking... Good luck! If you want that 4th post of mine below the first couple of thumbs for more space to index stuff let me know.
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

RickSawyer said:

Going to do something different here and make this first post a guide to all the tips, fun stories, fly tying, skiff picking, equipment reviews embedded deep within here... Check back later.

Chronicling the skiff picking alone is a major undertaking... Good luck! If you want that 4th post of mine below the first couple of thumbs for more space to index stuff let me know.

Gonna try and tackle this soon. I keep getting started then distracted but too much good info on here.
AggieArcher17
AG
Thanks for all the insight! I've been a pretty active fly angler for a few years, but other than a trip to Florida last year haven't done much in the saltwater with a fly, so I'm always looking to build on my knowledge. I'd be happy to tag along and pole the boat just for the sake of learning!(although I can't guarantee we get anywhere quickly)
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

AggieArcher17 said:

If you really wish to get into some of the back lakes, marshes etc... you will really want a kayak. The marsh mud will whip your tail. I agree with your sentiments on kayaks and only really fish them in the lights at night. I finally pulled the trigger on a skiff about two years back and it was one of the most fun investments I have ever made.

It's a slippery slope.

Truth.

I kayaked for years and when I was mostly chunking gear it was great but as I began to fly fish almost exclusively it just got increasingly frustrating because of the visibility and needing to be able to stand up. It was less of an issue when I'd fish around Rockport and Port A because of the visibility and typically firmer bottom vs. lots of nasty mud in the marsh between Tiki Island and Freeport/Surfside.

I went from kayak to Gheenoe to panga and now am restoring a vintage poling skiff.
RickSawyer
AG
Saw some Aggies on instagram getting busy today down south. Hope to have similar luck tomorrow with kbo.
AGricola08
AG
My brother and I are fishing next weekend out of Woodland Plantation. Hoping all the rain they are predicting doesnt show up.....
BKClark
AG
That was on Wednesday. It was glorious!

https://instagr.am/p/BQ30cxJhgaA
Centerpole90
AG
I told BKC we were going to take up a collection to get him a haircut.

Awesome work bro. Well done.
Salt of the water
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I told BKC we were going to take up a collection to get him a haircut.

Awesome work bro. Well done.

I heard he's growing it out so he can have some longer fur for those awesome flies he ties.
Centerpole90
AG
He's lusting after CPjr's market broiler culls.
BKClark
AG
Man you guys are harsh. CP my hair appointment is for 2:00 this afternoon.
Can I get you to raise some of these?

Feathers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.