Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,689 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The LT10 is about $650 more, but that gets you front and rear decks standard. I fished my buddies 15-4 before and after he installed a front deck. You definitely want decks and not benches. The fish-ability is much much better.

I also think the LT10 is a better hull design because of the wider transom. The transom on the 15-4 is soo narrow that I'd consider it a design flaw. It makes it hard to get it up on plane, if you try and trim the bow up any you're liable to take water over the sides near the transom, and it squats on the pole if your motor is too heavy or your angler isn't heavy enough. They tried to fix those issues with the LT10 which is a redesign of the 15-4.

I'd rather run my 13 in any kind of chop over a 15-4. The wider transom allows you to move weight back and get the bow up.
Salt of the water
AG
Controls included? Wish I'd known before I bought an aluminum trailer for the panga.

15" hatsu 50 for the next motor?

I'd try and pawn my 40 tiller zuke off on you but I'm pretty sure it's heavier than that 60 and it's a 20" shaft too.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah I was looking at them and really liked the front and rear decks of the LT10. Some dealer in Florida has them new with the 9.9 Yamaha and trailer for about $6k which I would think is reasonable
RickSawyer
AG
Controls as well. Right now leaning towards a merc 40 15" shaft.
Salt of the water
AG
In the last year a couple Mitzis with Yamaha power popped up for sale in Houston for under $7k... At $6k I'd pass on a Gheenoe and hunt for one of those. Unless you really have marsh fever and want to chase the reds where no one else can.

The gheenoes shine when they're simple and cheap. A lightweight used 2 stroke and a $500 jetski trailer.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bpo/d/suzkie-99-hi/6638068658.html

So yes, a $3k gheenoe >>> $3k hobie kayak, but a $6k used poling skiff >>> $6k gheenoe.
saltydog13
AG
Thanks. Wasn't sure how much a gheenoe should cost used.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Controls as well. Right now leaning towards a merc 40 15" shaft.

I forget, do you have the 16' Waterman? If so, that 40 should push it plenty fast and the weight savings really help out when poling.
RickSawyer
AG
Yep, '07 Gordon Waterman 16. Running the shorty 40 will also allow me to dump the jack plate which is ~25lbs more off the stern and puts the motor right on the transom instead which balances out the boat a lot. Think I will get 1/2" draft from it all said and done.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Nice.

I'm planning on either a short-shaft 30 Etec or 30 Tohatsu on the project skiff. No jack plate either.

My foam core came in right before I left for FL and we're doing a family trip over there starting Sunday so it will be a couple weeks before I start cutting & laying up the foam for my floor, transom, and bulkheads.
LRHF
AG
POC Trip Report (7/21-22)

We were finally able to accomplish some boat repairs and find time to head to the coast! The fishing was a bit slow but we found some tailing redfish each day. We are still new to this area and learned a bit more about some of the shallow crossing, the tide was a bit low each day!

Wife has now given me a fly tying list for Chile, I'm going to need to make a big fly tying order!

The water was a bit skinnier than the old skiff can handle!

so much fun feeding redfish, maybe next time we can target some bigger fish!

Caught in the middle of a bay with a clouser minnow below a popping foam
Salt of the water
AG
Good report LRHF!

If anyone is looking for a starter rod, sierra trading post has tfo bvk 9 wts for half of msrp right now. The bvk 8wt is the golden standard for nice casting budget rods. The 9 would be perfect for someone who doesn't live on the coast and wants to add to a freshwater quiver for infrequent Bay trips or a bonefish travel rod.

Salt of the water
AG
saltydog13 said:

Thanks. Wasn't sure how much a gheenoe should cost used.

This one is priced right. It'll go fast.
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/2017-custom-gheenoe-lt-10-with-tohatsu-9-8-tx.53942/
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Another really cool skiff here in Texas for sale on MicroSkiff.com:

2010 Hells Bay Skate

RickSawyer
AG
There are a few nice skiffs avail in Texas right now...

Nick is selling his yellow Mav micro.

Also, Brandon's whipray is for sale and is very nice but a bit expensive, in my opinion.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

There are a few nice skiffs avail in Texas right now...

Nick is selling his yellow Mav micro.

Also, Brandon's whipray is for sale and is very nice but a bit expensive, in my opinion.

There are indeed. SotW posted another Whip for sale up in Boerne or someplace recently too.

I wonder if it's guys who bought skiffs thinking they'd use them like the typical Majek or Haynie and found out that's not what they're used for or perhaps guys doing well in O&G (or really any part of this economy) and trading up skiffs?
Newoldarmy
AG
I think I'm going to sell my 2013 Chittum soon. 2 degree non tunnel.

Edit: reason for selling is I had a 12 degree built to better handle basins in Keys. 2 degree is great for Texas.
Salt of the water
AG
Newoldarmy said:

I think I'm going to sell my 2013 Chittum soon. 2 degree non tunnel.

Edit: reason for selling is I had a 12 degree built to better handle basins in Keys. 2 degree is great for Texas.

How does the 12 degree chittum compare to the marquesa you use in holbox?
Newoldarmy
AG
They are very different boats. As far as handling chop they are very similar as well as with tight swell...when swell waves are larger or farther apart, the Marquesa is more comfortable.

It's just a lot bigger, heavier boat. That particular one has dual batteries in the console and front hatch, an F90 rather than 70, and is just a bigger beamed, heavier constructed boat. So, the weight kind of pushes the bow into and cuts waves a little better while the Chittum sort of stays on top. You can trim the Chittum and force the nose down, but it's inefficient.

Both are really great. At Holbox that run to the permit and bones is about an hour. I love the Marquesa getting there because of the ride, but once you get there it'd be awesome to have the Chittum. It poles better, may be quieter because of the reduced footprint and weight, and it drafts less. That Marquesa rigged like it is probably drafts 10" or a foot with my fat ass in it. With less fuel, pull TM batts, and normal sized humans it may be more comparable.

The 12 degree Chittum has an odd feeling at first. Because of the construction, you hear/feel chop through the hull when you run. It kind of seems like road noise in a cheap car, but you get accustomed to it and the performance of those boats is pretty impressive.

Edit to add: Still haven't caught a permit and I've still caught more fish out of a $10k panga with a 2 stroke 60 horse tiller than these fancy boats.
RickSawyer
AG
Newoldarmy said:

Edit to add: Still haven't caught a permit and I've still caught more fish out of a $10k panga with a 2 stroke 60 horse tiller than these fancy boats.
Ha... I know the feeling. Have caught more bonefish fishing without guides from an 8' inflatable dingy with a 10hp yamaha on the stern as an ignorant preteen running around the bahamas than I have as an adult.
Salt of the water
AG
Newoldarmy said:

I have one of those that I'd gladly trade you for that chittum. The tiller ain't a 60, but I'm sure I could find you one.
Newoldarmy
AG
If it comes with a permit we may need to talk!
BigLeftMiss08
AG
Is anyone planning on attempting to recreate elnaco's plans for a stripping bucket (Pg. 55)?

My pops and I made one (which turned out awesome by the way, thanks elnaco!) and Amazon accidentally sent two of the trashcans. I reached out to their vendor 2 weeks ago to return it back to them and I haven't heard anything back.

I was not charged for the second one so if anyone is going to attempt this DIY project I have a the trashcan for you which will save you quite a bit. Let me know if you are interested.

Salt of the water
AG
No sickle fin psychopath fish.
ThatOneGuy
AG
What are your thoughts on a mid price under $400 8 weight mainly to be used targeting reds but also to throw big streamers in Arkansas with sinking line, and probably some bonefish trips as well? I have looked at the TFO series and am not sure about the differences between the bvk, mangrove, clouser and axiom II. I have a bvk 4 weight that I got recently and love for trout fishing in Arkansas. I have heard the bvk can be prone to breaking on bigger fish though. How would these compare to the lower end orvis, sage, etc rods?
RickSawyer
AG
I would definitely recommend spending just a bit more and getting a Scott Tidal in 7 or 8 wt. I own the 6 and 8, use them pretty hard on the skiff.

Edit to add, if you live near Houston, go by Gordy & Soms and cast the Tidal and a few other rods in the casting pond to ser if you like the action. This is what I did and actually saved myself quite a bit of money (thought I was dead set on picking up Meridians, liked the feel of the Tidals more...).
Salt of the water
AG
BVK 8wt and Royal Wulff BTT line.

The BVKs were known for being a little brittle in the higher weights, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the 8. I'd look elsewhere for a 9 or 10. Plus TFO has an awesome warranty.

The axiom is going to be quite a bit stiffer and faster. If you said primarily bones and sometimes reds I'd go that route.

I think the mangrove is pretty similar to the bvk, but a hair more durable at the cost of weight.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'll second the Scott Tidal. I have it in 8 & 10wt. Definitely a great stick IMHO. Frankly it feels to me like an $800 rod vs. a $450 rod.

It seems Rick and I have similar taste in rods between Scott & Hardy.
ThatOneGuy
AG
No substitute for getting out and casting a variety of rods. Unfortunately locally I don't have a lot of selection on the higher weights since this is trout country. I'll stop by one of the houston shops next time I'm in town.
Ayto Siks
Salt of the water said:

No sickle fin psychopath fish.

Speaking of...

My brother flew down and joined me on a guided trip off Key Biscayne last Friday. I had the option of tossing a crab or fly at some mooning permit that were poking their heads out of the weeds near the edge of a flat. Felt like a crab was a slam dunk, and a fly would be a huge gamble. Since we hadn't seen many fish, I went with the crab.

Instantly hooked up and landed a beast, but now I have to wonder if mr permit would have taken a fly after all. He impulsively ate the crab without any delay, so I'm guessing I missed a lifetime fly catch.

Ended the day with a bonefish on fly, so it was still a great trip.

Stopped by the Everglades and caught some snook on fly, and my brother caught a baby tarpon on spinning gear to complete the slam.

Here's some scenery and fish:

RickSawyer
AG
What a slab of permit!!!

I've been fishing my area pretty well recently... Still loads of shrimp in the grass in the back making the lakes pretty fun on falling tides as the bait washes out but remains tricky on any other tide (slack or inbound...) with very muddy water. Still finding fish in marshy areas, crushing shrimp in the grass but not tailing in the middle with birds on them...

Today we tried fishing the rising tide in the back lakes, found fish crushing bait but struggled to get a food eat and after three fish turned on thr fly and snubbed us we short strikes I decided to look at the grassflats for cleaner water... once there we quickly found three good schools, one school just cruising but hungry and two happy and tailing / mudding. No better sight in the world! Saw quite of few single cruisers that just couldn't be bothered... and plenty of ******* sheepshead...

On Sunday I took the family out, brought the fly rod on the boat but also carried the small spin caster with me on the platform. Stayed on the grassflats to let the kids count stingrays, spotted one fish on our short journey and hooked him up quickly before passing the rod over to my son and letting him fight the 'not quite slot' fish. He loves it, and I love that. Saw a few more cruisers on the grass but kids were ready for the pool.

Last week fished with a friend, found them tailing on falling tide in the back. Had a blast. BLAST!!!!
Salt of the water
AG
A family grand slam is awesome no matter how you put it together. Excellent work!
elnaco
AG
Aglaw09 said:

Is anyone planning on attempting to recreate elnaco's plans for a stripping bucket (Pg. 55)?

My pops and I made one (which turned out awesome by the way, thanks elnaco!) and Amazon accidentally sent two of the trashcans. I reached out to their vendor 2 weeks ago to return it back to them and I haven't heard anything back.

I was not charged for the second one so if anyone is going to attempt this DIY project I have a the trashcan for you which will save you quite a bit. Let me know if you are interested.

Glad someone was able to put that post to use!
elnaco
AG
ThatOneGuy said:

What are your thoughts on a mid price under $400 8 weight mainly to be used targeting reds but also to throw big streamers in Arkansas with sinking line, and probably some bonefish trips as well? I have looked at the TFO series and am not sure about the differences between the bvk, mangrove, clouser and axiom II. I have a bvk 4 weight that I got recently and love for trout fishing in Arkansas. I have heard the bvk can be prone to breaking on bigger fish though. How would these compare to the lower end orvis, sage, etc rods?
Axiom II is a hard rod to beat for the money if you like fast to extra fast rods. They somehow took the fast action and backbone of the OG Axiom and made it not suck to cast at short distances. It's also a really durable rod if you're rough on gear. If you're planning on hucking sinking lines this would be a good rod for this.

The BVK is a great lightweight moderate fast rod. I got my hands on one last year and like it a lot. It is a little more prone to breaking bc it's light and they don't coat it the same way as they do their normal rods so if you crash a bead or lead eyed fly into your rod you're asking for trouble later. IMO though most people break their BVKs and rods in general bc they try and fight fish with the tip of the rod (fighting with the rod at a high angle aka high sticking) instead of the butt section (low angle). Fighting fish with the tip of the rod is applicable when you're using light tippet on trout, but once you get into tippets over like 8 or 10lbs there's really no reason to fight fish with the top sections of the rod. Doing so just prolongs the fight and in hot shallow water doesn't give a fish a great chance of survival after release. It also just puts more stress on your rod than necessary.

I've only casted a mangrove once and wasn't a fan. It felt too slow for me, but someone told me awhile back it's supposed to be faster than the BVK. Didn't feel that way to me though.

As others have said, go put your hands on some rods and go from there. See if you can try different lines with each rod as well cuz that can make a big difference.
AlexAggie
AG
Has anyone fished the BVK 8wt in a 5 piece? Is it any different from the 4 piece other than the obvious? SteepanCheap has them on sale for $179......
rather be fishing
AG
AlexAggie said:

Has anyone fished the BVK 8wt in a 5 piece? Is it any different from the 4 piece other than the obvious? SteepanCheap has them on sale for $179......

I would imagine the ability to fit it inside a carry-on suitcase would make it worth it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.