Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,426 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Finn, did you end up finding any fish Sunday? Anyone else take advantage of this amazing weather?
Not on the north shoreline of West Bay. Went across to the state park and found a few rat reds but nothing much.

Talked to Marshfly Rob at Louie's and they scratched out 3 way back in Greens. With the water so low I couldn't get back to where they were and Rob said they were mud-sliding a lot of the time.
Is there a reason why you guys have to put intimate details of where you all were fishing???? Pretty sure some of this is the reason why there was over a half dozen skiffs that we have never seen in our life in a certain area of Greens. Half the fun is finding them on your own not searching/reading forums especially when the galveston fishery is pretty small compared to other Texas coast locations. I'm all for grip and grin and action shots but not followed by we went three turns up x y and y marsh and it opens to this area and it was just epic or man southshore is stacked get there at dawn before the masses. Some cards are best kept close to the chest. Same principle applies to anywhere or sport (public duck hunting would be another great example of this). Carry on gentlemen.
I highly doubt this thread was the proximate cause of Greens being crowded but I could certainly be wrong... You do bring up valid points I just question if its aptly applied in this situation.
NW80
AG

I'm not sharing $h!t with y'all!
Try and recognize those Mangroves!
Why would I want a bunch of Pangas stuck in the access to my favorite places!!!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

I'm not sharing $h!t with y'all!
Try and recognize those Mangroves!
Why would I want a bunch of Pangas stuck in the access to my favorite places!!!

Just for that I'm gonna park it square in the middle of the cut and soak bait with 47 lines in the water.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Finn, did you end up finding any fish Sunday? Anyone else take advantage of this amazing weather?
Not on the north shoreline of West Bay. Went across to the state park and found a few rat reds but nothing much.

Talked to Marshfly Rob at Louie's and they scratched out 3 way back in Greens. With the water so low I couldn't get back to where they were and Rob said they were mud-sliding a lot of the time.
Is there a reason why you guys have to put intimate details of where you all were fishing???? Pretty sure some of this is the reason why there was over a half dozen skiffs that we have never seen in our life in a certain area of Greens. Half the fun is finding them on your own not searching/reading forums especially when the galveston fishery is pretty small compared to other Texas coast locations. I'm all for grip and grin and action shots but not followed by we went three turns up x y and y marsh and it opens to this area and it was just epic or man southshore is stacked get there at dawn before the masses. Some cards are best kept close to the chest. Same principle applies to anywhere or sport (public duck hunting would be another great example of this). Carry on gentlemen.

Because in the Galveston area in particular there are no secret spots. The same probably holds true for the majority of the Texas coast too. I could be wrong though.

Everybody knows the spots, it's just whether or not they have a rig which can get there and probably 95% of the fishing population in Texas doesn't own a rig that can get back there and fish it effectively.
NW80
AG
You may actually catch an unguided fish!

Just kidding, I spent MANY days learning this game! Everyone pays their dues!

You're right, not every boat can get there. Once upon a time Packmore, Stegent and I were going to go into Pringle and look for Sow Trout. Water was low ( February). We dropped the hook outside the entrance ... in a B2. Some idiot came blowing up planning on "making it ".... he didn't !
There's a tuition that's paid. Stay humble and it might come your way.... Always stay humble ... or you'll be the next Scott Graham.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
You may actually catch an unguided fish!

Just kidding, I spent MANY days learning this game! Everyone pays their dues!

You're right, not every boat can get there. Once upon a time Packmore, Stegent and I were going to go into Pringle and look for Sow Trout. Water was low ( February). We dropped the hook outside the entrance ... in a B2. Some idiot came blowing up planning on "making it ".... he didn't !
There's a tuition that's paid. Stay humble and it might come your way.... Always stay humble ... or you'll be the next Scott Graham.

I've hear people say that about Scott- what's the story there?

Funny thing is though, I know Scott's brother Mike. Mike is a decent guy in small doses but gets really wound up about stuff- like Mike gripes about a guide named Brent Hodges who owns/runs Reel Fly that runs out of the fly shop in Sattler below Canyon Dam. Brent had mostly been a river guide doing trips on the Guad, Devil's, and various Hill Country rivers but a few years ago he started doing trips in POC and Mike got all bent out of shape claiming that Brent "stole KT's spots" which were spots that Scott Graham showed KT to begin with.

And the thing is that part of paying your dues is learning from people who have been there. I'm happy to share what knowledge I've gleaned, however limited it might be, especially in the areas around West Bay because there simply are no secret spots.

Hell, when we hit the south shoreline in the state park we had virtually all of Carancahua Cove to ourselves besides some birds and kayakers several hundred yards away. There was one guy in a skiff by himself using his trolling motor to work the breakwater but there was nobody in this large grass-covered cove where the water was damn near gin-clear.

Point being, even when you share with somebody a lot of people won't put in the work. Certainly not poling a flat.
NW80
NW80
AG
There's ALOT to learn "grasshopper!"
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
There's ALOT to learn "grasshopper!"

Always.
BKClark
AG
So here's my response to what you are saying. i'm somewhere in the middle on this topic. here it is:

Won't post specific locations on this board or any other board; however if you were to call me I would give you a very detailed report. Remember, fish have tails and just because they were at a spot on a given day they MAY not be at that spot the next day.

Tides changed ,food source moves, etc.

to each his own

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
So here's my response to what you are saying. i'm somewhere in the middle on this topic. here it is:

Won't post specific locations on this board or any other board; however if you were to call me I would give you a very detailed report. Remember, fish have tails and just because they were at a spot on a given day they MAY not be at that spot the next day.

Tides changed ,food source moves, etc.

to each his own

Fair point.

There are places I won't disclose on pain of death. Especially if given that spot by somebody else.

I guess I'm too open sometimes because I forget it's not just Ags on here and I want to help people in the same way I've been helped.
Centerpole90
AG
... and while you're here, dude, join the conversation. Tell us a little about your fishing - even if you don't tell us where you fish.

Well, except for Greens. We know you fish a certain area there.

Curious though, was that spot described earlier in the thread? Honest question, I don't know sh*t about the upper coast.
Salt of the water
AG
I posted the name of one of my favorite spots on here. But it looks like this and is not easy to reach by kayak so I doubt I'll get potlicked any time soon.

I've found that in general, spots are less important than patterns. Learning how to read the water and how to find the bait to find the fish has paid off better for me than hearing where someone caught fish yesterday or last weekend.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
I've found that in general, spots are less important than patterns. Learning how to read the water and how to find the bait to find the fish has paid off better for me than hearing where someone caught fish yesterday or last weekend
Bingo!
Centerpole90
AG
Speaking of reaching by yak - and I know I'm preaching to the choir here....

we had a sad deal here last week, a couple kayaks went out on a foggy morning and got separated. One returned safely, Game Wardens searched for the other fellow for 2 days before they found him deceased near Holly Beach. He was not wearing a PFD when he was recovered - I can't comment on what he had on when he went in the water, but speculation is he wasn't wearing one.

Just can't be too careful out there.
BKClark
AG
I'll second Salt's post. Gotta pay the dues to figure it out. Like NW said
Centerpole90
AG
How you type without moving arm?
RickSawyer
AG
Got my Marshfly Nano in. Looks super fun for marsh / lake situations. Will report back my thoughts when I get it salty.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
How you type without moving arm?

He's actually getting a bionic upgrade so he can out pole everyone at the skiff showdown.
TxAG-010
AG
soooo.....who's going to fess up to creating a sock earlier to make that comment?! ha
Centerpole90
AG
Not it.

Anyone that knows me will vouch that I would never reference duck hunting.

Not. My. Thing.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
This darn sure isn't a Low Country Journal video, but it's from last year and some reds that were schooling up in a back creek here at home. Truth be told, that muddy water was probably almost drinkable. I think this was one of the first outings in the Mav after I bought it & I'm on the poling platform (I see a pattern here).

There's a to learn when fishing off a skiff. We've both much better now, Quaid94 doesn't rock the boat anymore and I remember to grab the power pole dongle so I don't have to use the push pole to try and press the rocker switch! All those things a guide tries to teach you on a half-day trip are learned the hard way when you're DIY!

These were 30" reds.

Reds in School

Just watched this- who is the band/song you used here? I dig it.
Centerpole90
AG
That is Band of Heathens cover of Hurricane originally by Levon Helm.

Katrina says Hi Levon.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Cool.

By the way folks- I don't know if anybody needs or wants some well cared for reels but I'm selling some stuff to offset the costs of upgrading some gear. In the classifieds I've posted:

-brand new Abel Super 7 large arbor (brand new but no box or warranty papers as I traded some vintage gear for it with the plan to flip it)
-Lamson Velocity 4X Hard Alox II (10wt reel) + spare spool, both with line & backing (with boxes & neoprene pouches)
-Lamson Velocity 3X Hard Alox II (7/8wt) + spare spool (only backing on the spare) with box & pouches
-Wright & McGill Dragonfly 3/4 - new in box
-Okuma Sierra 10/11- bought as a back up and never used but dropped once so there's a small scratch complete w/ box & papers
BKClark
AG
left handed. one finger at a time. pretty awkward to run a mouse left handed. the world just wasn't built for those people
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
left handed. one finger at a time. pretty awkward to run a mouse left handed. the world just wasn't built for those people
One of the better office pranks is to go into somebody's computer settings and switch their mouse to swap the right-click/left-click or reverse its movements.
TxAG-010
AG
Just booked 2 days in September w/ the Angling Company down in the Keys. I'll either be fishing with John O'hearn or Simon Becker if John isn't free. I've talked to Nathaniel down there a couple of times, real nice guy and very accommodating. Hopefully i'll get the chance at a bucket list Permit...now the waiting begins!
Centerpole90
AG
I'm the only one on this thread not fishing in FL!
TxAG-010
AG
Well there is a solution to your dilemma...
NW80
AG
No Sir! You and I can find fish without going to Fla.!
Centerpole90
AG
I know and what is ridiculous is I can darn near throw a rock in the Laguna Madre from where I'm typing this - and all I have time to do is buy stuff for/tinker with my boat. My boat that is dry rotting from lack of use!!
TxAG-010
AG
Well if I throw a rock outside I will hit the the dry dirt of west Texas. That's why i'm going to FL!
BKClark
AG
Sounds like a personal problem. You've had a few invites!

I can piss and hit the ocean from where I'm typing.

Florida has a great variety of fish!
Centerpole90
AG
You're the one who's can't even touch his own pee pee w his right hand.
Salt of the water
AG
O'hearn was booked for when I'm going to be there. I've got feelers out with a few others to try and find a guide.

I found a decent tying material variety kit on sale so now I need to get busy filling up the fly box.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.