Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,863 Views | 3069 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by texican08
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
great trip report. You haven't fished enough if you've never fallen off the poling platform.

What flies were y'all throwing? Purple shrimp or baitfish imitators?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool thanks I'll leave the 10 behind then
LRHF
AG
dr_boogs said:

great trip report. You haven't fished enough if you've never fallen off the poling platform.

What flies were y'all throwing? Purple shrimp or baitfish imitators?

Light colored crab patterns. No dark purple flies on this trip. We had some blown shots but didn't have refusals.

For the record, I've been relying on my partners flies to cut down on gear in the boat and since I now live in the Rockies and mainly tie trout flies. Our local shops don't quite have the same selection of SW materials

dr_boogs
AG
Agree w Rick, take your 7 and 8 wt.
LRHF
AG
panag
AG
That was awesome.
TarponChaser
Tried to find this thread but the TA search function is jacked. Anyway, here's the highlight pics from my trip to the Louisiana marsh last month. There were lots of fish but it was a high, full moon at night so they were spooky and hugged up on the bottom mostly. Only really fished one day but got the slam because the second day we got chased off the water early by storms.

https://instagr.am/p/CnIdy3pr47v

Also, received my belated Christmas presents:

https://instagr.am/p/Cocq8Kcugoq
LRHF
AG
TarponChaser said:

Tried to find this thread but the TA search function is jacked. Anyway, here's the highlight pics from my trip to the Louisiana marsh last month. There were lots of fish but it was a high, full moon at night so they were spooky and hugged up on the bottom mostly. Only really fished one day but got the slam because the second day we got chased off the water early by storms.

https://instagr.am/p/CnIdy3pr47v

Also, received my belated Christmas presents:

https://instagr.am/p/Cocq8Kcugoq

I was admiring your sheath on his IG last night! I'm getting some redfish tails for me and my fishing partner.

Looks like a fun day on the water!
dr_boogs
AG
This thread needs more action. Fished POC / Seadrift Monday. Conditions were brutal. Water was high, dirty, wind was 18-20, fish weren't moving or eating, cloudy. Had zero shots Tuesday. Zero. Pulled one slot red out on Monday morning. Barely a slot. Sight casting for reds on the fly is not for the faint of heart. But I can't explain it. I'm obsessed.

My guide's ride, New Water Stilt.

TxAgg07
AG
Chased some jacks earlier this week and had a blast.

Al Bula
AG
Bump. New to the flats game but I recorded my first ever snook and baby tarpon hookups in ENP recently. No fish pics as I broke them off too soon due to inexperience. However this is not discouraging, only more addicting to commit to refine this all-consuming fly fishing habit I have come upon. The beauty of the backcountry in the Keys and ENP is breathtaking. These were the only ones I snapped as I was more focused on fishing.

LRHF
AG
I'm in Homosassa getting my ass kicked!

LRHF

Centerpole90
AG
Have you been to Oklahoma Flat?? I want to go…. In 1984….
LRHF
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Have you been to Oklahoma Flat?? I want to go…. In 1984….

We spent some time near there today. Had some shots at Tarpon today but nothing like the good old days would have been. Fun to come fish such a storied place!
Centerpole90
AG
LRHF said:

Fun to come fish such a storied place!
That's the thing about tarpon fishing - being there is a big part of it. The fish still frequent those haunts a fashion and just being there with them, pursuing them the same way the legends did... SO satisfying!
LRHF
AG
Still getting humbled! Not that many fish moving onto the flats. Dead calm most of day. Had a bite but didn't ever pull tight. Guide saw the fish flash and the bite tippet showed some abrasion that wasn't there before.

The fish are hanging in deeper water offshore, saw hundreds of them meaning there were thousands around. They would come up then dive back down deep. We played with them for a while with a sink tip, had one follow the fly up until she saw the boat then did a u-turn 10' from the boat and dove back down (never stopped stripping).

I have 4 days left and more hopeful now than ever. Have pursued baby tarpon but this is definitely different!

LRHF

Ayto Siks
Quote:

Dead calm most of day.

I moved back to Florida a few weeks ago, and it just hasn't felt like tarpon weather at all. It's been unseasonably pleasant. The frogs aren't on my windows and the raccoons aren't in my trash...it's like nature is on pause right now.

Quote:

Guide saw the fish flash

That's one of my favorite things about tarpon fishing. Even in backcountry dark water, the flash will give them away. You can't replicate that sight in any other type of fishing...other fish might flash, but they aren't 100 pounds and it doesn't light up the water nearly as much.

Quote:

I have 4 days left and more hopeful now than ever

I can't wait to see the pics!
dr_boogs
AG
Hey! Great photos, keep us posted. Would love to do that some day. My fishing partner will be over in the Keys later this month chasing big tarpon.

Can you give me any recs for a fly guide for a full-day trout trip out of the Frisco, CO area? Will be up at Copper/Frisco for a week in June and want to take the kids on a Colorado trout trip.

Good luck!!! I just have a feeling you're going to get it done!
dr_boogs
AG
I meant to follow up with you after you posted your pics with the Jacks. Mind if I ask whereabouts (in general) you hooked up with them? DIY or guide? I wan't to catch a jack on a fly bad, haven't been able to get it done yet.

Thanks!
TxAgg07
AG
Off the big jetty in POC. Went with a guide.
LRHF
AG
Hey Dr. Boogs- unfortunately, I don't know anybody over there. You will need to roll the dice through a shop.
LRHF
AG
Another challenging day!

Had some good shots at fish but they didn't eat (a big shark had just come through). No doubt challenged by being mostly a trout guy, these big Tarpon are nothing like baby Tarpon or Redfish! Learning tons and more hopeful that it will eventually happen!

Had a very quick shot at a 150 lb plus Tarpon sitting in a hole as we drifted past with the wind. Huge fish, thick and long and definitely a black top. One day!

dr_boogs
AG
Bummer. Appreciate the response I'll keep looking.
TarponChaser
dr_boogs said:

Hey! Great photos, keep us posted. Would love to do that some day. My fishing partner will be over in the Keys later this month chasing big tarpon.

Can you give me any recs for a fly guide for a full-day trout trip out of the Frisco, CO area? Will be up at Copper/Frisco for a week in June and want to take the kids on a Colorado trout trip.

Good luck!!! I just have a feeling you're going to get it done!

Colorado Angler on the other side of Dillon Reservoir in Dillon/Silverthorne is a great outfit.
LRHF
AG
Homosassa beatings continue!

So dang close! I've had a number of "Homosassa Blow Jobs" where you get a follow, tug, keep stripping but never come tight.

Today- found a very nice fish looking our direction. There was a light ripple on the water and took a shot about 10' to the right of the fish. The current drifted the tight line into the fishes vision, started stripping and watched this +/- 100 lb fish follow, speed up, flash (feel tug) but never came tight

Had some good action early this am that didn't get any follows or eats. Made plenty of terrible shots as well (most actually!)

It's just nutz being here. I've seen Tom Evan's on the water every day. We briefly talked to his guide Al Doparik and learned he didn't catch anything today (Tom was still in the boat at the dock about 75' away).

Got Poon ****ed by the Red Devil (Steve Kilpatrick) as a wave of fish came in from deeper water heading East towards shore.

I mostly fish with a good friend on his skiff. Fishing with a mutual friend and always different with a new person. Still learning each others style but here a funny snippet from today. He saw a fish from the poling platform and verbalized at 12:00. I had glare and asked how far. He demanded that I turn around and look where he was pointing…. Shockingly, still at 12:00! Another 7-8 seconds pass and the fish appears and I make my casts. He's becoming a well respected guide around here but a simple distance would have sufficed!

I have two more days on the water and the fishing seems to be getting better each day.

LRHF

Al Bula
AG
Fun reading. Good luck!
LRHF
AG
Strip, strip BOOM!

It's been a grind but finally put it all together today! Jumped two fish- first one jumped then broke off, 2nd fish was leadered and pulled a 3rd one off of a daisy chain, flashed but didn't hook up.

Fish 1
Watching for fish off the bow when a string of tarpon streamed past left to right about 10' off the bow. They were cooking and terrible angles. There was a small break and decided to make a cast to the left with a decent angle hoping another fish cruised through. What luck- another wave came through, started stripping away from them and BOOM! In the blink of an eye, the fly line was gone and this fish was hauling ass away with the reel singing! She ripped another 60 yards if backing then launched into low earth orbit. After that, the line went limp and upon inspection, she severed the bite tippet (60# fluoro). This was a 130# class fish!

Fish 2- we played in some windless flat water for a while until breeze picked up and the tide switched. Finally we pushed into the wind with the sun at our backs and found some fish slowly working it way. A short 35' cast was presented, waited a few seconds for the fly to sink and the fish to get closer. A few short strips and a Tarpon surged to the fly and line started flying! This fish was closer to 70# and jumped a lot. Put to the heat to her and quickly (is there such a thing, I wore quickly!) leadered the fish. She took a smaller run from the boat and broke the bite tippet. I was still pumped but would have liked a boat side pic…

Had an opportunity for a 3rd fish in a daisy chain. These have been a real challenge for me all week, I've been too cautious about spooking the fish. Threw it about a foot inside if the counter clockwise chain, waiting a second to sink the fly then strip into an oncoming fishes view and saw the surge and flash but didn't get tight.

I defiantly get excited from catching big fish but haven't gotten shaky in years until today, wow!

LRHF

dr_boogs
AG
Way to go LH! Forgot to ask what rod and reel set up you're using? Same rig as your LA bull red set up or bigger? Floating line or sink tip? Running a clear/ghost tip? What's your guide's preference?
LRHF
AG
dr_boogs said:

Way to go LH! Forgot to ask what rod and reel set up you're using? Same rig as your LA bull red set up or bigger? Floating line or sink tip? Running a clear/ghost tip? What's your guide's preference?

Hey Dr B-

We are using 11 wt fast action Sage rods, tibor reels, floating line with a short sink tip( SA line, light blue).

He tied his own leaders, standard 11' with 60 lb to twisted doubled up 20 lb, 20 lb class tippet and a fluoro 60# bite tippet. The rest of the leader is nylon for better knots.

Unfortunately he wasn't feeling well last night or this am so yesterday was our last day
cupofjoe04
AG
I so glad you finally got to tangle with a few! What an epic day, and you really worked your tail off for those chances. Way to stick with it and see it through!!! Congrats!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
Im sure most of you have seen my thread about catching my first bonefish. But being in Southern Colorado the past 7 years didn't afford me many chances to contribute to this thread. I'm happy to have a few pics of my own to add! I sure appreciate all the advice and encouragement from many of you prepping for this trip. It was truly a day I will never forget. I can't wait to get after a few reds on the TX coast sometime in the near future too.

https://i.imgur.com/qKr6MZU.joey

Here is the full thread incase you missed it:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3377988
Bird78
AG
Dr_boogs, I tend to throw very small patterns in the spring and into the summer, usually a mix of bright colors and natural colors, depending on water clarity. When the dog days hit and water temps hover just below 90, it is time to swicth to more natural colors, like olive, tan, and brown.
TheWarehouse@CC.Creations
Sponsor
This thread is awesome!!!!!

Need some gear?? We have saltwater and freshwater

https://thewarehouseatcc.com/aggie-outdoor-new/fishing/
Centerpole90
AG
Who doesn't love to see INSTANT KARMA served?

Well, I witnessed it firsthand this morning. My daughter and I went out for as short trip because we had a funeral to attend at 2. We were poling down a shoreline, checking some guts, or drains, for redfish feeding on bait flowing out on the tide.

As we poled up the shoreline a bay boat came running the shore going the opposite direction. I thought they were certainly inconsiderately close, considering they had the whole bay to run, but whatever, they went on and I just mumbled a bit under my breath. About 20 minutes later were coming up on a drain, about 100 yards away, and here come the same guys from behind us, still burning the shore; they go out around us again, but this time they dip right into the drain dead ahead. Directly in our path.

Now I was pissed. What a douchy move. They had seen us twice, they knew what we were doing and decided to cut us off within hailing distance. One bailed off one side of the boat and one off the other, wading. As we got closed the distance to about half I told my daughter I was going to pole right by their boat and continue up the shore. There was no need to get on top - we'd just pole right past them, between guy #2 and the boat, and be on our way. This wasn't going to ruin our stalk.

However, when we got within 100 feet they had made their way back to the boat in a hurry and, you guessed it, decided they get up. That REALLY pissed me off. First they cut us off and then REALLY sh*t on us by blowing out. Their problem was... they couldn't get up. They tried. They tried again. As we got closer they tried a third time... no luck. We practically had to hold up to keep clear of whatever was about to happen or get splashed with mud.

They jumped off and started pushing frantically to avoid closer contact with us. I couldn't help it. As we poled past them in their mud ball I pointed to the intercostal a mile away and said "Hey guys, deep water is that way". They never made eye contact, they just raised a single hand each acknowledging the communication. My daughter said I did laugh audibly for the purpose of them hearing me... I think I was just laughing sincerely, but either way - they deserved to be laughed at by this time.

This was them after we were well past and my frustration gave way to gloating.

But Karma is a b*tch because sometimes it's the gift that keeps giving. This was a good 20 mins later, after they had tried unsuccessfully in at least 3 other spots to get on plane, they were STILL PUSHING. I'll bet they pushed well over half a mile.

I don't own the water. They were well within their legal rights to cut me off, even if it was a douchbag move, and I am well within mine to shame them accordingly, and share such with my internet friends. I didn't take a picture of a single fish, but I did take a picture of them pushing a dang nice bay boat that was just a bit out of its depth. They provided the entertainment for the day.
chocolatelabs
AG
trying to decide if i want to head to coast for labor day and try to fish.

i am thinking it'll be to hot and to crowded to fly fish for reds.

correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.