Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,436 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Ayto Siks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My first attempt at poling a skiff was forgettable. I think I've got the basics down though. Hope this helps some else:

https://www.tailflyfishing.com/getting-pushed-around-pole-skiff/

Salt of the water
AG
dr_boogs said:

I meet 10 of your requirements (I'll keep which 10 to myself for now). So ..... when do we hit the water?

In the fall... Between football and hunting, less people want to fish.
dr_boogs
AG
Let me know how to contact you off the boards, I'll work with your schedule!
Salt of the water
AG
Shoot me a text once you get this and I'll pull it down.

dr_boogs
AG
Text sent, many thanks.
rather be fishing
AG
Time for more gear recommendations...

After picking up my 8wt Mangrove for the first time in over a year and trying to throw streamers in Alaska, I prefer my 6wt Radian handsdown. So the Mangrove needs to go.

What are yall using for a faster action 8wt? Probably looking at budget under $350 new, will look hard at a used rod to get me more quality for less price.

Also still on the market for a Tibor Freestone if anyone is stupid enough to sell one to me.
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

Time for more gear recommendations...

After picking up my 8wt Mangrove for the first time in over a year and trying to throw streamers in Alaska, I prefer my 6wt Radian handsdown. So the Mangrove needs to go.

What are yall using for a faster action 8wt? Probably looking at budget under $350 new, will look hard at a used rod to get me more quality for less price.

Also still on the market for a Tibor Freestone if anyone is stupid enough to sell one to me.

Faster 8 wt, Meridian. I actually prefer the Tidal. Run by Gordy's and tell Baron what you're looking for and cast a couple.
Salt of the water
AG
You need to buy this. So I don't.

https://austin.craigslist.org/spo/d/austin-tibor-riptide-sage-rplxi-9-10-wt/6958830970.html

Circle back to the 8wt dilemma later.
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

You need to buy this. So I don't.

https://austin.craigslist.org/spo/d/austin-tibor-riptide-sage-rplxi-9-10-wt/6958830970.html

Circle back to the 8wt dilemma later.
Man, I'm grappling with whether or not all I'll ever need for the rest of my life is a 6wt right now. You should pull that trigger on the setup.
Salt of the water
AG
Welp, today I pulled the trigger on a couple days in Everglades City and a couple days in Islamorada this October.

Already have a 10wt outfit but my go-to 8wt reel is on the fritz. Really thinking I may need a Tibor Everglades for this trip... because Everglades.
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

Welp, today I pulled the trigger on a couple days in Everglades City and a couple days in Islamorada this October.

Already have a 10wt outfit but my go-to 8wt reel is on the fritz. Really thinking I may need a Tibor Everglades for this trip... because Everglades.

Very nice.

I've been very impressed with that Danielsson reel I bought.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Headed to Port Mansfield for 3 days in Mid Oct, 6 guys 3 skiffs. Fingers crossed!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Ayto Siks
Email sent!
rather be fishing
AG
Salt of the water said:

Really thinking I may need a Tibor Everglades for this trip... because Everglades.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133176230859?ul_noapp=true
reddog90
AG
Salt of the water said:

Really thinking I may need a Tibor Everglades for this trip... because Everglades.
Get on that candy paint Nautilus lyfe bruh.

Salt of the water
AG
Both excellent options. How am I supposed to choose!
Salt of the water
AG
Went with a little bit of both... Black like what rather be fishing posted but in the Nautilus variety.

BCA was out of Wulff BTT. There's a fresh spool in the mail and then she'll be ready to fish.
Ayto Siks
I like your style... picked up this gem yesterday. One day I'd like to get a Tibor Everglades with a tarpon or snook engraving, but I'm not in a rush.

rather be fishing
AG
That Everglades on eBay sold for $359

New Nautilus looks awesome.
Salt of the water
AG
Ayto - I dig it! Is that Mills tarpon book.

Rather - that's a good deal for a mint Everglades. You still chasing a Freestone?

So I realized my fly box was serious lacking diversity. It's probably half crack flies, and 1/4 crab flies. I'm probably throwing one of those two 95% of the time in Texas bays / marsh, but with some fishing travel coming up it's time to branch out.

I'm trying to knock out a couple flies a night most days over the coming weeks. Here's my first two days. Gurglers in white, then gurglers in tan. The tan ones look better because I settled in on a foam width that tied nicely.

Before:

Day 1

Day 2
LRHF
AG
Salt-

You may want to add a little piece of foam to the top of the Gurglers if they don't make enough of a surface disturbance as you want. (Helps hold up the lip for a bigger commotion). Flip side is they will slide really well (good to have some that pop hard and others that don't). If you add a small piece of foam, use superglue and also a couple of thread wraps to hold in place.

If you add a piece, looks really good with a different color and can help the fly stand out for the angler. Gurglers are a blast in salt and can be lights out for bass as well.

rather be fishing
AG
I'm still hoping to find a Freestone. I finally got my Galvan sold, so I guess it's time to replace it. I did email Tibor customer service a couple months ago about a Freestone equivalent reel, cause the Signatures are more than I can ever see myself spending, and the response was basically, "We have something new coming next year but can't disclose any details."

I need to get my 8wt Mangrove switched to something different. Really been eyeing the Meridians since they're marked down everywhere, but more realistically will look for a used rod. I think my Radian has sold me on Scott for everything.

Salt of the water
AG
Thanks for the tip LHRF. I'll carry some super glue with me to tweak the gurglers.

I worked late the last couple nights and didn't get to the vise. Tried some cockroaches tonight. Have one that I'm happy with the way it came out.

The grizzly hackle I have isn't palmering well so I'm not in love with how the front is coming out. Anyone have a hackle vendor they like that isn't super expensive?
Salt of the water
AG
Crazy Charlies and a Merkin tonight. Tried some multicolor yarn for the Merkin. Not sure if I like it. May go back to regular old tan for the next few.

AgFlyGuy
AG
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/tibor-everglades-for-sale.70846/

One of y'all?
EyeBalz
AG
Have to share a quick note.

I'm fishing in the Keys this weekend and next week. Fall Fly Bonefish Tournament begins tomorrow, and I'm fishing it with Joe Rodriguez owka JoeRod.

We were fishing west of Key West yesterday. It's 3:30ish, and I'm missing shots at permit and getting yelled at because I'm obsessed with checking my phone.

All I want to know is did we stop them on 4th down on the 18 yard line or not?!?!

Ags come first, permit can wait.

Gig'Em!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sunchaser
AG
Yes
SabineAg
AG
Just picked up a 7wt Thomas and Thomas Zone. Looking for a reel to pair with it if anyone has something they would part with
rather be fishing
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Just picked up a 7wt Thomas and Thomas Zone. Looking for a reel to pair with it if anyone has something they would part with

If it casts anything like the Air rods, you should enjoy it a lot. One of the FB for fishing buy/sell/trade groups had a 7/8 Nautilus the other day. What's your budget on the reel?

If it were me, I'd buy a Danielsson F3W 4seven. Bought one to put on my 6wt Radian and I'm looking it a lot. Drag system is way over engineered for what I do with it, but it's good because I can use it in salt. The finder if Danielsson used too manufacture all of Loop and Sage reels up until they moved to manufacturing in Korea. You can get that reel with a spare spool for under $300.
SabineAg
AG
SabineAg
AG
Probably about 500, I may push up a bit for a Tibor Everglades but that would require me being patient and waiting.

I've never really checked out Danielsson before, went to their website and got confused at what the 2,090.00 kr price tag was sooo I found myself on another website

On the rod, I was casting it in the BCA parking lot yesterday before I pulled the trigger and it was slinging line. I had heard a number of good things so after a couple of casts, I handed it to Ben and asked him to ring me up for it.
rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, the Danielsson website is Swedish first, so you have to be sure and switch to no Euro tax and UK English.

Check out eBay, I know there are at least 2 Everglades reels on there right now under $500. Remains to be seen what they sell for, but one sold for like $360 last week.
Salt of the water
AG
Aggielax1 just linked an Everglades for sale in the Tine a few posts up. I bet showing up with 5 hunned cash would take it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AC has an 8wt tfo axiom in the classifieds for $200 shipped. Wish it was a 7
rather be fishing
AG
I've got an 8wt Mangrove posted for sale for $240. I'd be very open to moving on that price for someone on the OB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.