Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,688 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TFO Lefty Kreh, or TFO Clouser, or the BV something rod? I am considering the Clouser series rod. Orvis was kind enough to let me try out the $950 rod they had, as well as their clearwater series. I am leaning TFO based on recommendations from a good buddy. I have no clue on reels. I will look at the one you mentioned. Any other reels I should look at?
Salt of the water
AG
It's a TFO BVK 8wt.
Pros: light, responsive, cheap compared to its peers, excellent warranty, great all around rod for 25-75 ft casts

Cons: sub par durability (see warranty), not a cannon for launching 80-100 ft casts on the regular

The reel is a sage. Got a cheap sage off Sierra trading post that locked up on me. They sent the red one as a warranty replacement.

The line I LOVE is wulff BTT. Pairs so well with the BVK.

I've handed the BVK / wulff BTT combo to a handful of beginner casters and you can usually notice an improvement in their distance / accuracy compared to "starter sticks."
Ayto Siks
That's a beautiful pic!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I keep an eye out on the Sierra trading post and Backcountry. Any other sites I should keep.an eye on?
Salt of the water
AG
Sometimes you can find good deals on salt gear by trolling closeouts on the big freshwater shops in trout country. They have to buy 8-12 wts because of manufacturer obligations but have trouble selling them at times and will do closeouts.
FunkyTownAg
AG
Swanpoint Flyshop down in Rockport has a decent deal:

TFO BVK 8WT with a Orvis Hydros IV reel and RIO Redfish or Orvis Hydros Line for around $580, so you basically just get the line for free. Most shops will throw the line in for free if you buy a rod and reel, however there are not many you can combine a Orvis reel with a different brand of rod.

Total after tax comes out to ~$631 for the rod, reel, and line but I went with the RIO Flats Pro so it tacked on a few extra $$$.

Silky Johnston
Heading to East Matagorda this afternoon for the weekend. I am new to coastal fishing, so I am very much a novice in understanding tides and wind. Looks like Saturday is forecasting winds of 20+ MPH.

Am I going to be in for a rough time with the wind? I was planning on kayaking in the bay and am not sure if there will be any protection from the wind.
Salt of the water
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Heading to East Matagorda this afternoon for the weekend. I am new to coastal fishing, so I am very much a novice in understanding tides and wind. Looks like Saturday is forecasting winds of 20+ MPH.

Am I going to be in for a rough time with the wind? I was planning on kayaking in the bay and am not sure if there will be any protection from the wind.

20 mph will be no fun. I'm fishing this weekend and likely won't pull out the buggy whip unless we're seeing close easy shots.

Kayaking in the wind will suck. Especially since you'll have to paddle back into the wind to get back to shore. If I was shore bound, I'd be wading. The drains where the marsh dumps into the bay should be a good target. Wind will push water and bait out of the marsh and fish will stack up at drains to ambush.
Mark Fairchild
AG
20 mph is the raw edge for wind fly fishing. Ya gotta be darn good if you have to cast into that!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
dr_boogs
AG
Don't do it. Live to fight another day.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Read your weather chart better. The wind in the morning isn't usually as bad. That 20 mph is probably in the afternoon. Not saying it will be light enough for fly fishing, but it might be light enough for the kayak.

Try 3 mile. Some pretty protected areas from the wind and not a long drive on the sand.
Silky Johnston
Tides4fishing.com was showing winds from 16-22 MPH throughout the day, but it has since dropped to 17-18.

Looks I will keep the paddles to a minimum and primarily wade. Not skilled enough yet for the fly rod in wind though.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You should be fine for the morning paddle. I wouldn't go into the middle of the open bay too late in the morning, but I stay in the marsh anyway. Good luck and post up.

If it gets really bad, there is a pier at the county park that goes into the river channel. Go catch a few big uglies and talk with interesting folks.
Silky Johnston
Went to Three Mile Cut on Saturday and the wind was pretty rough. Did not use the fly rod and kayaking was not much fun. Only went a couple hundred yards from our launch and paddling back into the wind was tough.

Brother-in-law caught two 20-inch specs on Saturday using a DOA shrimp and I caught a flounder that wasn't a keeper using a redfish magic. Not many fish, but we had a good time,

Wind on Sunday was even worse and we didn't bother bringing out the kayaks.
TexasAg2017
AG
Anyone here fish around rockport? Just bought a new skiff so I'm always looking for a second person to push around with.
rather be fishing
AG
If anyone is interested, I have a Scientific Angler WF-350-S Streamer Express line I'm looking to sell. Line was used one time.
RickSawyer
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

Anyone here fish around rockport? Just bought a new skiff so I'm always looking for a second person to push around with.
I will fish down that way once or twice a year... what skiff did you buy? we need pics!
texican08
AG
I live on Padre island and own a Beavertail. Would be happy to swap areas and fish sometime. Offer applies to come down my way and check things out.
TexasAg2017
AG
RickSawyer said:

TexasAg2017 said:

I will fish down that way once or twice a year... what skiff did you buy? we need pics!
Picked up a 16ft Mitzi Skiff from another Ag. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Nothing too special though, it has a 40 on the back and is pretty bare bones. I have a lot to learn, spent the first few hours poling in circles but I'll get it figured out.
Salt of the water
AG
Saw a good looking seafoam mitzi posted online recently that looked simple but clean. That one you snagged?

Happy to help you learn the ropes poling if you're making any stops on the uppercoast this summer / fall.
aarontx
I fish the RP area. I'm always for looking for someone to fish with. Ive got a 23 Haynie cat that I would trade trips with you on if you wanted to do some conventional tackle fishing.
TexasAg2017
AG
Salt of the water said:

Saw a good looking seafoam mitzi posted online recently that looked simple but clean. That one you snagged?

Happy to help you learn the ropes poling if you're making any stops on the uppercoast this summer / fall.

It was not! Just a plain ol white one.

What part of the coast do you usually fish? Definitely willing to travel for learning opportunities.
TexasAg2017
AG
Shoot me an email at username @ gmail

I'd be down for trading some trips
Salt of the water
AG
Rods were bent today, great way to start a holiday weekend.

Redfish were small but cooperative, sheepshead were large and uncooperative.

Ayto Siks
Took several days off to celebrate America, and spent a lot of that freedom at the beach. I have the gate code to a local park, which means 24/7 access and avoiding crowds by fishing when the park is closed.

Saw this shark in the backcountry. There were twin dorsal fins, so I was hoping it was a smalltooth sawfish, but it was probably a big lemon shark.

Fresh sea turtle tracks are pretty common this time of year. It's cool to be the first person to see them though. Soon the whole beach will have temporary protective cages marking each nest.

I usually stand high on the sand and slowly stroll a couple of miles while scanning for snook. They'll get real snug to the beach and lay where the retreating wave hits the newest incoming wave.

If there's a bad glare, I'll get my feet wet and peer through the crests. Each incoming wave will have a temporary window with highlights and shadows, and sometimes a fleeting glimpse of a snook. This pic doesn't do the scene justice.

As far as catching a snook goes, I'm still trying to figure out what works best. Casting a fly right on their head actually works... unless they see the line in the air and bolt before the fly lands. I love Royal Wulff BTT, but use Airflo Ridge Clear Tropical on the beach.

When it all comes together, it's glorious.

My buddy and I ended up with a dozen snook, a big jack and several ladyfish over the week. Unfortunately my gopro pics didn't come out, so I only have some cell phone pics.

And this older gopro pic.

Salt of the water
AG
Killin' it Ayto!
TexasAg2017
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

RickSawyer said:

TexasAg2017 said:

Picked up a 16ft Mitzi Skiff from another Ag. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Nothing too special though, it has a 40 on the back and is pretty bare bones. I have a lot to learn, spent the first few hours poling in circles but I'll get it figured out.

Finally got around to posting pics. Need to swap out the TX numbers but other than that she fishes!

http://imgur.com/a/TwznQDw
RickSawyer
AG
Just landed on Eluthera... hope I can update this thread for the next 7 days.
Ayto Siks
It's probably time to admit that I have an addiction. I used to play golf, mountain bike, read, travel to non-coastal places...now all I do is saltwater fly fish.

Even though my wife has alluded to this "problem" before, it didn't hit me until now... I skipped a work event because sunset and low tide were at the same time. And when people asked where I was, the truth just sounded ridiculous.

I was hoping the low tide would pull juvis out of the mangroves, and the low light would cause them to be active. So I went to the Everglades and fished by myself in the dark.

I hate putting fish on the ground, but the splashing caused gators to investigate. I had to take the hook out and let the juvis go in different spots. Could have caught so many more if I didn't insist on throwing gurglers. The rhythmic chug, chug, blow up sounds were too good to pass up. A black deceiver might have been off the charts.
RickSawyer
AG
No luck with bones yet but we're still exploring. I have put my 8 year old son on a few good sized snapper while fly fishing the rocks and my 6 year old daughter got her knuckles busted on a 2.5' cuda today on the sand flats at a nearby Cay. Had a 4' cuda follow my fly 20' before swirling away has the leader his the tip of the rod. Cuda are a guilty pleasure of mine. I just love catching them!
Salt of the water
AG
Ayto Siks said:

It's probably time to admit that I have an addiction. I used to play golf, mountain bike, read, travel to non-coastal places...now all I do is saltwater fly fish.

You definitely need some balance in your life. Have you ever considered getting into skiffs / boating?
RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Ayto Siks said:

You definitely need some balance in your life. Have you ever considered getting into skiffs / boating?

The good news, once you get the skiff you won't have to worry about lying to the wife or work. They'll all leave ya and all you will do is fish and work on the skiff! Self-fulfilling.
rather be fishing
AG
I know a bunch of you guys use Tibor reels. How easy do you think it would be to find a Freestone or Back Country in a 6wt?
RickSawyer
AG
rather be fishing said:

I know a bunch of you guys use Tibor reels. How easy do you think it would be to find a Freestone or Back Country in a 6wt?

Back Country wide is easy. Freestone is haaaaard!!! They pop up from time to time but generally asking more than a new everglades. I love 'em though. You can get an older unused Able No. 2 for a third the price sometimes on vintageflyfishing, that is what I eventually did...
rather be fishing
AG
I found a deal on a Galvan T5 that I don't think I can pass up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.