Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,378 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
SimpleMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a used TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr X 8wt I no longer use and can part ways with.
Newoldarmy
AG
Centerpole90 said:

What is the trip to Hotbox like? Any worries traveling off the beaten path? @rollingtraponcompany used to blow up Intagram with pics and had me giving it some thought.
Holbox is growing like crazy. The new toll road from Playa to Nuevo Xcan has made a 4 hour trip into just over 2 hours from Cancun.

I've been going there since 2009 or so with my family, but we're adventurous. No problems so far.

The fishing is good...but the big summertime tarpon are deep feeders. They will not eat anything near the surface and I cannot explain it. There are some big residents along the beach about halfway to Cape Catoche that will eat floating line presentations, but they may not eat at all no matter what you throw at them. There's a drone footage video of that on YouTube.

Two ounce jigs for spinning and 600 grain Leviathan for fly is what works for the migrants. Some people don't care for the casting to rollers rather than real sight casting, but the sheer numbers of hookups can be old school Costa Rica like.

At Holbox we've had fish jump and throw jigs that another fish picks up and throws that a third fish picks up...happened to my wife last year. Every time one would throw it, she'd say, "thank God."

So, when the migratory fish are there and happy, it's fun. Those fish run from 45 or 50 to maybe 140. Most are 75 pounds or so.

The baby fishery is fun. Last month when I was there they were cold and wanted nothing to do with a fly and weren't rolling at all. Also, since the big fish aren't around, those babies in the mangroves near Catoche see lots of flies. I think it was mostly the weather, but wintertime fishing pressure could play a role.

People there are nice. Fishing is $400 to $450 a day, but lodging is expensive in the beachfront places. Of course, there are also a lot of modest places around the plaza that are very reasonable.

rather be fishing
AG
SimpleMan said:

I have a used TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr X 8wt I no longer use and can part ways with.

Where are you located and how much do you want for it?
SimpleMan
Located in Houston.

I'll let it go for $125. If you send me your email I can send you some pictures when I get home.
rather be fishing
AG
Stopped by a fly shop in Atlanta today and was given a recommendation on a St. Croix Imperial or Redington Vise and a Behemoth reel. Thoughts on this setup?

Salt, I'm regretting not pulling the trigger when you told me about the one you saw.
rather be fishing
AG
SimpleMan said:

Located in Houston.

I'll let it go for $125. If you send me your email I can send you some pictures when I get home.

adpotts at gmail
Salt of the water
AG
rather be fishing said:

Salt, I'm regretting not pulling the trigger when you told me about the one you saw.

I'll see if I can swing by there again. They may not be cleared out yet.
Centerpole90
AG
Pics or it didn't happen bro.

All kidding aside, I don't have a ton of keyboard time right now but I want to discuss this more later. I think I want to do a Holbox trip.
rather be fishing
AG
I talked to Living Waters in Round Rock. I think I'm going to do my purchase through them. He said he's got a bunch of options that would fit my situation.
Newoldarmy
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Pics or it didn't happen bro.

All kidding aside, I don't have a ton of keyboard time right now but I want to discuss this more later. I think I want to do a Holbox trip.
Baby tarpon from Holbox, September 2016. Empty hand from Key West, April 2017.
Jrod05
AG
Ratherbefishing,

Chris is an awesome guy. That is who I bought my 4wt and 7wt from both are Scott rods and Ross animas reels out of the 350 budget but he has stuff in that range and he is very knowledgeable. I need to post the bonefish I caught last week. He helped a lot with my casting. Every time I go in there I spend money.... his new shop is going to be nice.
Salt of the water
AG
If anyone needs to stock up on tapered mono leaders, STP has scientific angler saltwater 2 packs on sale. I've been using these for a while and they cast well.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scientific-anglers-premium-big-fly-leader-loops-2-pack-8~p~211fd/

$1.87 with coupon code STT0042G. Less than a dollar a leader isn't bad for a tapered leader.
Centerpole90
AG
I was in Roy's yesterday and really liked this logo but didn't like the style cap it was on. It was a retro 70's style padded bill and front I didn't care for in the 70s. Off to Flood Tide website to get a Pusherman Tee!!!

RickSawyer
AG
I think to be a pusherman you gotta, use your boat!
Centerpole90
AG
RickSawyer said:

I think to be a pusherman you gotta, use your boat!

I STARRED that. I am a pusher man. I push it from one corner of the barn to the other.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a bunch of the 12# and 16#
sunchaser
AG
I was in there mid-week. Flood Tide has a really neat tailing red fish cap.....couldn't pull the trigger on burnt orange.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I was looking at all the pics on IG of Gordy & Sons, place looks awesome.
LRHF
AG
This place is great. The casting pond is really cool and they will be adding fly tying materials shortly. Looking forward to them hosting some evening tying seminars/ guest speakers etc. Best part is just a short bike ride from my place.

Anybody in the Houston area been fishing carp lately? I found some new spots in Brays Bayou when training for the MS-150. Can help with a few hotspots on White Oak if anybody wants to trade beta.
BKClark
AG
Nailed it!
Centerpole90
AG
^
I should have heel & soled your office when I was in your building yesterday.
BKClark
AG
That would be ok as long as you didn't drink all our whiskey
rather be fishing
AG
rather be fishing said:

I talked to Living Waters in Round Rock. I think I'm going to do my purchase through them. He said he's got a bunch of options that would fit my situation.

Picked up a Mangrove and a Ross Rapid today. I anticipate upgrading the reel down the road, but happy with it for now.
RickSawyer
AG
Welcome to the darkside. Now buy a skiff!
rather be fishing
AG
I'll buy gas and/or beverages for someone else, but a skiff and living in Austin won't jive.

I've been down the bass boat road already.
Ayto Siks
My office had a beach picnic yesterday. Brought the fly rods in case the water was clear. Really lucked out.

Was able to sight cast and land 5 snook in about 2 miles of walking. Could have been more, but they're super nervous when the water is clear. There were no waves yesterday either, which made the fish extra perceptive of false casts, heavy landings, etc. I think some bugged out because they could sense satellites orbiting.

Missed a beast because I strip set too early. Had another shot at her, but this small guy came out of nowhere and stole the fly. Never saw him. He was even hard to see on land.

I really love snook. Such an amazing, underrated fish with lots of personality. Related note: held a BVK at Bass Pro today. I think that's the next rig along with the Allen Alpha III that was mentioned earlier.
Centerpole90
AG
Crushing this thread.

Crushing it.
Centerpole90
AG
I know what you're saying, but there used to be a heck of a nice late model HB for sale that was in Austin, and I actually went and looked at a Mav there before I bought mine. You might be surprised how many coast fishing junkies venture down from your way.
Ayto Siks
Still waiting on my first red... Booked a guided trip in Matlacha last weekend with the exclusive mission of catching a redfish on fly. Struck out...again.
sunchaser
AG
The two Stilts, the Solos and Maverick I mentioned are all owned by guys from Austin.
elnaco
AG
LRHF said:

Anybody in the Houston area been fishing carp lately? I found some new spots in Brays Bayou when training for the MS-150. Can help with a few hotspots on White Oak if anybody wants to trade beta.

I haven't been lately but I do love me some carp fishing. They fight great, are great practice for sight casting and will really make you appreciate how willing redfish are to eat your fly.

There's lots of carps in Brays. It seems to be mostly grassies on the concrete sections but there's some big commons too. Brays isn't complicated, it's easy walking so it's just moving along the bayou until you locate the different schools. The real trick to Brays is finding places to park where you don't have to worry about being towed or getting your vehicle broken into. If you want some more details let me know. I haven't fished White Oak much so if you want to trade some info let me know.
elnaco
AG
Forgot to add that there's a Houston carp tournament this weekend that I'll be fishing. $25 entry fee, should be fun if you're interested.

http://www.houstonflyfishing.com/holycarptournament/
TxAG-010
AG
That would be a fun way to spend a day!
rather be fishing
AG
Any recs for a Destin area guide?

Will be there late June. Looking to do a trip with wife who I've been trying to get into fly fishing for a couple of years now. She actually bought a license on her own this year, so we're moving in the right direction. She'll get bored and want to layout/read/watch in short order.
rgarza35
AG
We went out with Baron Boyette in West Galveston Bay, yesterday. The tide was super low in the early morning, which made the marsh along the mainland very skinny. Caught a few there, then moved on to the bay side of Galveston Island and the flats along the Intracoastal canal. Lots of fish sighted, so few good casts.

Baron Boyette

A few Pics

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.