Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,361 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by TarponChaser
cheezag03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.

Agreed!
wonder why
More grass growing on the bay bottom and marsh expansion and rehabilitation projects
Centerpole90
AG
Have you seen the video Gil Staton posted on FB a few years back of the one swimming @ Arroyo City?

It looked as long as the boat he was on and was not at all intimidated until they bumped it w/ the boat.

ETA. Does this work?

https://www.facebook.com/gil.staton/videos/10151568294730345/
cheezag03
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I see water clear on the south shoreline in the park all the time. And further west over the grass beds.

I started saltwater fishing West Bay on a regular basis in 2003 when I moved to Houston from D.C. and Mrs. Finn's mother's family are BOI- most are still there and I fished with her uncles. The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.
Agreed, but even back then the state park was in a league of its own. I remember the first time I fished it in a kayak in 2004 and thought I entered a new world.

I wonder if the ICW didn't cut through the middle of the central bay if that would help clarity more? Maybe if it were just a ditch like between Greens and Alligator Point.

If we could only get some better bay bottom grass growing on the shorelines in east bay, but I guess it doesn't like that mud.
Salt of the water
AG
CP - you have a 12 wt right? Don't be skeert.

Cheez - I fish a few muddy areas with grass. I think it may be more so the salinity swings and turbidity from the rivers that feed East Bay.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

The improvement in water quality in West Bay over the past 14 years has been astounding.

Agreed!
wonder why

A whole hell of a lot of it has to be due to the rehabilitation of the seagrass beds and marsh preservation / restoration.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Agreed!
wonder why

A whole hell of a lot of it has to be due to the rehabilitation of the seagrass beds and marsh preservation / restoration.

This.

And I think East Bay will improve substantially when they get Rollover Pass filled in.
Ragoo
AG
RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Agreed!
wonder why

that is what i figured. the grass grows back and holds the sediment in place, reducing the suspended solids in the water.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Agreed!
wonder why

that is what i figured. the grass grows back and holds the sediment in place, reducing the suspended solids in the water.

Correct and it helps filter sediment caught in suspension which ultimately is what results in clarifying the water system.
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone want to fish South of Freeport tomorrow? Decided last minute to hit the marsh.
AGricola08
AG
good gracious. If i weren't in Dallas I would take you up on that in a second. Worst part of being land locked.......
Ayto Siks
Catch anything? I hit the beaches for snook, but couldn't close the deal. Saw this red while walking on a pedestrian bridge. Got him to follow a snook fly, but ran out of line. Stripped into the guides and it was game over. Saw another one, but my cast landed on his head. He zipped out, spun around to come back, then I lost him. Managed one ladyfish for the long weekend.

Salt of the water
AG
Couldn't line up any fly guys last minute. Thought about going solo and wading with the buggy whip some, but ended up taking some buddies who use conventional gear. I pushed the boat in the 15-20 mph wind and they sightcasted a couple smaller reds.
RickSawyer
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Catch anything? I hit the beaches for snook, but couldn't close the deal. Saw this red while walking on a pedestrian bridge. Got him to follow a snook fly, but ran out of line. Stripped into the guides and it was game over. Saw another one, but my cast landed on his head. He zipped out, spun around to come back, then I lost him. Managed one ladyfish for the long weekend.

Those are awesome shots of the reds! Ayto, next time you make it back to Texas come to Houston and I will put you on some reds from the skiff!
elnaco
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Agreed!
wonder why

This.

And I think East Bay will improve substantially when they get Rollover Pass filled in.
Filling in Rollover and better regulation on the oyster leases and oyster boats that go in and rape every reef there. Sure they put some of the shells back for new reefs but a bunch of crushed shell doesn't filter water quite like live oyster. Oyster management in the GBC and red snapper regulation are two things I just can't wrap my head around.

As for WGB, man it has really started to become one of my favorite fisheries on the TX coast. Growing up I was incredibly blessed to fish pretty much everywhere on the TX coast from Bolivar to the Brownsville ship channel. I did a fair amount of fishing in the GBC as a kid, but always preferred the areas from Rockport to Port Mansfield. Fast forward to a few years ago and life got busy so I started making day trips to WGB rather than long weekend trips down south. I couldn't believe how much the bay had changed. The abundance of sea grass, reefs and marshes in WGB makes it a really special place and I couldn't believe the health of the fishery there.

Ayto Siks
That would be awesome!

Speaking of clear water near Galveston... my grandparents used to have a cabin on Bolivar. I heard the water would sometimes clear up, but I never witnessed it to the level that my grandfather talked about.

Then one day I drove down and saw this... Couldn't believe my eyes. The pic is from an old cell phone, and doesn't do the water justice. The water was incredible that day.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ayto Siks said:

That would be awesome!

Speaking of clear water near Galveston... my grandparents used to have a cabin on Bolivar. I heard the water would sometimes clear up, but I never witnessed it to the level that my grandfather talked about.

Then one day I drove down and saw this... Couldn't believe my eyes. The pic is from an old cell phone, and doesn't do the water justice. The water was incredible that day.

So that pic was on Bolivar? Mind if I ask where? I've never seen it like that on Bolivar but see it like that down on the West End around San Luis Pass and all the way down to the Surfside Jetty on a decent basis- not usually that clear but 4 feet of visibility or so is not uncommon on a clean tide.

And I've got a buddy who's grandfather was a rice farmer near Anahuac for years and years. His grandfather's family has been in the area since the early-1900's and his grandfather said that before Rollover Pass was cut through the majority of East Bay was shallow and super clear grass flats with tons of oyster reefs.
AggieGunslinger
AG
My grandfather felt the same way. I always kinda dismissed it as Back In The Day talk but now we are going to get to see if the old timers were right.
Ayto Siks
Dang, you're really dialed-in to the surf conditions. That pic was taken at the seawall. My grandparents place was in Crystal Beach; never saw the water quite as clear over there.
RickSawyer
AG
Seen it green to the wall many times. Love it when it happens.

rather be fishing
AG
Booking a red/speck trip for Destin, but talk to me about fishing surf or walking flats around Destin on the fly. Worth trying? I'm planning to have a surf rod as well to drown shrimp, but I'd like to get some good use out of my new rod.
rather be fishing
AG
Finn Maccumhail
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BUwvbqUgWbQ
Centerpole90
AG
nooooo
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Anybody want to place bets on whether or not the chick who hit me had insurance?
elnaco
AG
Finn that blows, sorry that happened bud.

On another note, do any of y'all have or know anyone that may have an Allen Kraken Sz 3 or Reddington Behemoth that they'd be willing to sell? A buddy of mine is looking for one so holla at me if you do. Preferably in Houston. Thanks guys.
AggieArcher17
AG
Any of you florida natives have any advice/locations/fly recommendations for my trip to Bonita Springs next week? Last year(i think i posted in this thread) my buddy and I slayed the snook off the little jetty in front of the condo, and under the lights at night, but other than that we struggled to get on fish consistently. Plus it'd be nice to catch something other than snook all week! This is a straight bro-down fishing trip, so we're down for any and all suggestions. Thanks guys!

Also any advice for FL redfish would be most appreciated, still don't have one on the fly yet!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Any of you florida natives have any advice/locations/fly recommendations for my trip to Bonita Springs next week? Last year(i think i posted in this thread) my buddy and I slayed the snook off the little jetty in front of the condo, and under the lights at night, but other than that we struggled to get on fish consistently. Plus it'd be nice to catch something other than snook all week! This is a straight bro-down fishing trip, so we're down for any and all suggestions. Thanks guys!

Also any advice for FL redfish would be most appreciated, still don't have one on the fly yet!

I don't have a whole lot of specifics in terms of locations but in that super clear, heavily pressured water you need to go with natural colors in your fly selection and most likely downsize your gear, especially the leader. And be on point with your casting- those fish have seen everything and you've got to nail your cast because you're only gonna get one shot.
Ayto Siks
Edited based in the Houston bass fishing thread. Never thought about the lurkers and google pros. If you post an email, I'll send you some spots.
AggieArcher17
AG
BKClark
AG
After being on the bench for a couple months due to work (I know sucks, right) finally was able to get out and hammer some redfish in the laguna. Double digit day

https://instagr.am/p/BU2u225AkC3
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Well done!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Edited based in the Houston bass fishing thread. Never thought about the lurkers and google pros. If you post an email, I'll send you some spots.

I wasn't trying to be a dick to that dude but people hot spot like crazy off the web. If you hadn't edited somebody would have been googling for stuff around those spots you posted and I promise you the OB would have popped up.
K Bo
AG
Wife and I are headed to Belize July 13-17. I just booked a flats trip with Tres Pescados that Friday and will try some DIY as time allows the rest of the trip. I'm reading some conflicting thoughts about footwear. Are flats boots necessary? TIA!
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

Wife and I are headed to Belize July 13-17. I just booked a flats trip with Tres Pescados that Friday and will try some DIY as time allows the rest of the trip. I'm reading some conflicting thoughts about footwear. Are flats boots necessary? TIA!

I walked all over Belize, Mexico, Bahamas (and elsewhere) barefoot.
K Bo
AG
Thanks!

Though, you know firsthand what happens to my bare feet in the flats.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.