Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,685 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by dr_boogs
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why pay $11K for that Hells Bay when you could have this sweet piece of machinery

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/16-osage-shallow-water/6248163104.html

It's a good thing that canoe probably doesn't plane bc a 15hp on that thing would probably make it fly scary fast.

That HB is awesome and would be perfect for most of the places I fish, but dadgum even at $11K that is pricey for such a small specialized skiff. Be hard for me to justify that over a new salt marsh or skimmer skiff for a fraction of the price.

This however is ooohhh so tempting. Be a big time game changer in my solo fishing game.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/micro-power-pole/6210995276.html

Centerpole90
AG
Salt of the water said:

Clean 2 stroke yammies are getting rare yo...
With a 2 stroke 70 my Mav would be a different boat.
elnaco
AG
My wife and I are expecting our second child at the end of September. We have a daughter currently but this one is a boy and naturally I decided I needed to be involved in decorating his nursery past just hanging up/ building whatever my wife has already decided. So in order to start his early brainwashing introduction to fly fishing I got a couple of prints from artist Paul Puckett. Just want to say they turned out awesome and Paul has excellent customer service. He was actually in Cuba when I placed my order so it was delayed a bit, but he was open and honest about it in his communication with me. Also one of the prints somehow got folded and had a bad crease in it so he got it redone and made it right, even tossed in an extra lim ed print for free. Even though the turnaround was a little longer than I liked, his quick and honest communication was refreshing, plus he's just a cool dude.

Anyways, we ended up getting this one so my son will know his adversary well early on

and we of course had to have an ode to the silver king

My wife doesn't think my selection of Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" and Lefy Kreh's "Fly Fishing in Saltwater" are appropriate bedtime stories for a baby, but whatever.

RickSawyer
AG
Every time I get Fly Fishing Journal or The Drake in at the house, that is what my son and I read together before bed. Other days, we read a story then watch one or two fly fishing videos on badfish.tv or moldychum.

The other day he corrected me... I quickly looked at a photo and commented that it was a big bow and he interrupted with, "That's a cutthroat Dad. Come on!"

You've got a lot of fun heading your way.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
elnaco said:

My wife doesn't think my selection of Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" and Lefy Kreh's "Fly Fishing in Saltwater" are appropriate bedtime stories for a baby, but whatever.

She should just be happy you're not reading "Logging and Pimping and 'Your pal, Jim'" which is another short story included in MacLean's "A River Runs Through It and Other Stories."
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
That redfish print is awesome, pretty sure my son's room needs one as well. We'll see if the wife agrees when it arrives!
Newoldarmy
AG
Fished three days with Brett Martina last week in Apalachicola area.

Saw some fish but weather was bad and sighting conditions were terrible. However, he got us on fish and we had shots. Plus, he's about as good company as you can find.

I didn't cast once. My 18 year old stepson made every cast as it was sort of a last trip before school deal and he's off to Blinn next weekend then hopefully into A&M next year.

Anyway, first day we're on the beach and it's rough. Anchored with rollers coming over the bow and into the cockpit of the Marquesa where I'm seated on the console cooler. My stepson and Brett are standing on the back deck by the poling platform as the fish were passing by on a grass-sand transition back there.

The rollers on the front are also running down the gunwales, keeping that back deck soaking wet and my stepson doesn't wear shoes on the boat. It was slick back there.

Brett spots a fish, the kid slaps out 20 feet of line, fish eats, and the kid strip sets the **** out of the hook just like he's been taught.

And didn't let go. I didn't teach him that.

Fish is probably 130 or so. He's a wrestler so I know he's 132. Pretty balanced fight.

I had time to say, "Let go. LET GO!"

But his ears and brain and hand weren't connected and he skied right off the boat and into the water.

It was only about three feet deep so no big deal and the leader broke about the time he hit the water.

I've seen some funny stuff while fishing, but this was top of the list. Tarpon just flat drug his ass out of the boat like he was on skis. We all laughed our asses off.
NW80
AG
Well.... this morning confirmed it!
Granted, it is Saturday morning, but I don't have my Glide available so I went wade fishing in Port A. Went to one of my favorite "beats" on St. Joe's ( hardly ever USED to see people fishing it). And there must have been 15 boat loads of morbidly obese, Blaze Orange Magellan "titty waders" scattered out!
Still managed 5 fish ( typical 20" St. Joe's Rats)
Can't wait to move my base to Port M!!!!!
BKClark
AG
Pro Tip:

Don't go on Saturdays around Port A till after hunting season begins!!!
NW80
AG
No need for the tip brother.
It was my ONLY choice.
The spot I fished is one I found years ago that wasn't harassed by the obese Majekers!
RickSawyer
AG
NW80 said:

No need for the tip brother.
It was my ONLY choice.
The spot I fished is one I found years ago that wasn't harassed by the obese Majekers!

Don't firget the Waterloo sticker on the F150. One level above some Hookspitters.
Ayto Siks
Seasonal showers have backcountry water levels nice and high in SW Florida right now. The juvi tarpon have followed the high water and are seeping pretty deep into the mainland. The last couple of weeks have been amazing for targeting these fun-size silver kings.

I wanted to get an underwater shot of the black and purple toad streaming from this tarpon's face, but when I turned her head and started to lean over, she shot out of the water and almost took me out.

Got tight on two much bigger fish, but wasn't ready for the battle - pulled the fly out twice without getting into the drag. Super glad I wasn't pulled in though!
RickSawyer
AG
I love your updates Ayto!
Newoldarmy
AG
Baby tarpon are my favorite fish.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Seasonal showers have backcountry water levels nice and high in SW Florida right now. The juvi tarpon have followed the high water and are seeping pretty deep into the mainland. The last couple of weeks have been amazing for targeting these fun-size silver kings.

I wanted to get an underwater shot of the black and purple toad streaming from this tarpon's face, but when I turned her head and started to lean over, she shot out of the water and almost took me out.

That's winning

Got tight on two much bigger fish, but wasn't ready for the battle - pulled the fly out twice without getting into the drag. Super glad I wasn't pulled in though!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Ayto Siks said:

Winning
Ayto Siks
Thanks! I've been trying to get some video content for this thread over the last few weeks. Found a crease in the mangroves where the baby tarpon sometimes school up. They don't roll in this spot for some reason; they just hang out barely under the surface. Suspended, motionless. Anyway, the plan was to get some shots of these tarpon busting gurglers. Unfortunately, it's been a comedy of errors.

Had some explosive eats and leaps with a sunrise and palm trees in the background, but the camera lens had condensation on it. Couldn't see anything. Tried two more times with a gopro, but one time the setting was wrong, and the next time the battery died.

Overall, I ended up with 5 tarpon and only two pics... and no vids. Still haven't been able to close the deal on a big tarpon. Every time I get a chance, they remind me who's boss.
Salt of the water
AG
I bummed a ride from Finn on his panga yesterday. The morning was not kind to us, but after lunch things turned around.

Starting off, I was about halfway into my 2 hour drive to the ramp and realized I'd forgotten my wallet. Called Finn and he was very cool about it, said he'd grab a nap and wait for me.

I woke the wife up and had her meet me halfway with my wallet. I ended up being about an hour late to the ramp. Quick launch and we were on our way.

We hit spot number one (a place that usually isn't crowded) and the entrance was like a parking lot. Found a little shell the hard way trying to dodge people in the middle of the channel. The sound of shell on gel is not a good way to start the day.

I figured this spot might be iffy if the tide was low but a few buddies and I have had good luck there over the last month. We poled and trolled the marsh to where the fish were, and... it was too skinny to get within casting distance. Snagged a gar on the way back out and stopped to grab a snack and come up with a plan b.

After a bite we decided to make a run and try and find some better water with a bit more forgiving depth. Ran about 20 miles and Finn spotted some promising looking water on a lee shore. We idled on in and started working the area. I've never poled from a platform before and the extra height makes a huge difference. So much easier to spot fish.

After a lazy red didn't want to eat, Finn laid a rope out and dropped his fly just in front of a nice red cruising. The red surged forward, boiled on the fly, and missed. Bummer, but a very cool visual.

Next up was another cruiser that was working back and forth from left to right in a 3 ft pattern. Finn waited him out, drug the fly across his nose, and came tight. And his leader popped. At least we'd finally gotten tight with a red.

Fished a little more and saw a few uncooperative trout as well but no more decent shots at fish. The wind had died down some and the afternoon was scorching so we called it and headed in.

Even though we rode the struggle bus for a bit in the morning, and didn't end up bringing any fish to hand, I still enjoyed the heck out of the day and the darn good company.
elnaco
AG
Some Houston fly fishers are meeting up at Gordy and Sons tomorrow evening by the casting pond at 6 for a little happy hour. It's BYOB and should be a good chance to meet some other guys passionate about doing things the hard way. Be good to meet some of you guys as well if you can make it. I'll probably be there, anyone else planning on going?
RickSawyer
AG
Too late for me with the kiddos but should be a great time!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

I bummed a ride from Finn on his panga yesterday. The morning was not kind to us, but after lunch things turned around.

Starting off, I was about halfway into my 2 hour drive to the ramp and realized I'd forgotten my wallet. Called Finn and he was very cool about it, said he'd grab a nap and wait for me.

I woke the wife up and had her meet me halfway with my wallet. I ended up being about an hour late to the ramp. Quick launch and we were on our way.

We hit spot number one (a place that usually isn't crowded) and the entrance was like a parking lot. Found a little shell the hard way trying to dodge people in the middle of the channel. The sound of shell on gel is not a good way to start the day.

I figured this spot might be iffy if the tide was low but a few buddies and I have had good luck there over the last month. We poled and trolled the marsh to where the fish were, and... it was too skinny to get within casting distance. Snagged a gar on the way back out and stopped to grab a snack and come up with a plan b.

After a bite we decided to make a run and try and find some better water with a bit more forgiving depth. Ran about 20 miles and Finn spotted some promising looking water on a lee shore. We idled on in and started working the area. I've never poled from a platform before and the extra height makes a huge difference. So much easier to spot fish.

After a lazy red didn't want to eat, Finn laid a rope out and dropped his fly just in front of a nice red cruising. The red surged forward, boiled on the fly, and missed. Bummer, but a very cool visual.

Next up was another cruiser that was working back and forth from left to right in a 3 ft pattern. Finn waited him out, drug the fly across his nose, and came tight. And his leader popped. At least we'd finally gotten tight with a red.

Fished a little more and saw a few uncooperative trout as well but no more decent shots at fish. The wind had died down some and the afternoon was scorching so we called it and headed in.

Even though we rode the struggle bus for a bit in the morning, and didn't end up bringing any fish to hand, I still enjoyed the heck out of the day and the darn good company.

Good times indeed dude.

Even if old boy in that Shallow Sport was posted up in the middle of the channel and in an effort to not be a dick and buzz somebody fishing I ended up on the shell. It is what it is.

And freaking shell nicking leaders.
Ragoo
AG
where is a good resource to buy inexpensive used, maybe heavily used, fly reels? I'd like to buy some to take apart and rebuild for fun.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

where is a good resource to buy inexpensive used, maybe heavily used, fly reels? I'd like to buy some to take apart and rebuild for fun.

Probably eBay or troll pawn shops.

Most of what you'll find are vintage stuff. Lots of old Pflueger, Mitchell, Ocean City, and Shakespeare reels from the 40's to the 70's that were made in the USA and if cleaned up can be easily flipped. The trick is getting them cheap and getting them useable again without removing some of the patina that collectors like.
Ragoo
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Jon H. Ryan said:

Most of what you'll find are vintage stuff. Lots of old Pflueger, Mitchell, Ocean City, and Shakespeare reels from the 40's to the 70's that were made in the USA and if cleaned up can be easily flipped. The trick is getting them cheap and getting them useable again without removing some of the patina that collectors like.
That'd be cool, I am mostly interested in learning about the parts and pieces better and practice care before I go out and buy some nicer reels. Idea being that if I could make some old junkers better then I would have a solid foundation for maintenance of new reels.
RickSawyer
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Jon H. Ryan said:

That'd be cool, I am mostly interested in learning about the parts and pieces better and practice care before I go out and buy some nicer reels. Idea being that if I could make some old junkers better then I would have a solid foundation for maintenance of new reels.
Many of the nicer, newer sealed drag systems don't require the maintenance but the maintenance is quite simple really.

elnaco
AG
RickSawyer said:

Many of the nicer, newer sealed drag systems don't require the maintenance but the maintenance is quite simple really.

The maintenance on the old cork drag reels might even be easier. Less small parts for sure.
RickSawyer
AG
elnaco said:

RickSawyer said:

The maintenance on the old cork drag reels might even be easier. Less small parts for sure.
Tibor Back Country - tried and true.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Jon H. Ryan said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Jon H. Ryan said:

Yeah, a lot of the sealed drag systems can't be opened by the owner without voiding the warranty. IIRC, both Nautilus and Hatch have lifetime warranties on the drag system so if it fails you send it back and they either repair or give you a new reel.

Cork drags like on Abel or my Tibor reels is super easy. Just a quick rinse & dry, open them up about once a year to make sure they're lubed up right and you're good to go. If you get sand or grit in them you can just open them up, wipe it down, maybe reapply some lube and you're back in business.

See this Instagram post from Tibor:

https://instagr.am/p/BMzgE6WBSg_
Salt of the water
AG
Sabine skiffs is putting an air cooled outboard on the versatile. This could be very interesting...

https://www.freedom-outboard.com/freedom-outboard-motors/
BKClark
AG
So I've heard from two different sources today (although both originate from the same guide that most of us know) that the Feds are shutting down ALL boat traffic in the Aransas National Wildlife refuge next week. They are doing this in response to the airboats taking shortcuts across the marsh which results in new channels being built. They claim that this is changing the hydrology in the ANWR. This has been a problem for a while and the park people have very good documentation. Many of these airboats are run by guides.

This is a tragedy for those of us that like to fish up there as we will be shut out of an awesome fishery.

Thanks airboaters!!!!
Salt of the water
AG
That sucks.

It'd be nice if they could be talked into a pole, paddle, and troll zone. Less environmental impact without completely removing access.
NW80
AG
F$&@ing Airboat Motherf$&@ers!
Sunchaser excluded!
Centerpole90
AG
sunchaser is about to be the biggest paradox on the Texas coast!
sunchaser
AG
I have always been a paraducks......
NW80
AG
Was wading Lighthouse Lakes last Friday, stalking a pod of tailing fish. Airboat blows in the lake I was wading 200 yes from me. Fish sounded. He then ran all over the lake, spun the boat pointing the exhaust in my direction ( 100 yds. In front of me) and went to the next lake. Completely blew out the area!
The Feds need to outlaw THOSE noise polluting machines. Interestingly, every bird in the marsh hit the air when they showed up for a quarter mile.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.