Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,815 Views | 3068 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by dmperch
TxAG-010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
for those of you who don't follow Orvis on the FaceSpace, this jut popped up on my feed...

link

That poor girl was not ready for that! What I would give to switch her places for what would have been a hellacious fight in those trees!
Kalebcs
A couple of my favorite shots from Sunday evening. Y'all, the weather is perfect. Now is the time to use a sick day.

http://imgur.com/a/pSKco

Edit: Why am I bad at the Internet? I thought that you copy/past the imgur link and it auto formats the pic to the forum?
RickSawyer
AG
An early present to myself here...

And my buddy's tow rig fresh out of the shop!

230Ag
AG
quote:
A couple of my favorite shots from Sunday evening. Y'all, the weather is perfect. Now is the time to use a sick day.

Edit: Why am I bad at the Internet? I thought that you copy/past the imgur link and it auto formats the pic to the forum?
sucks that my next trip is scheduled for Sunday and the weather is supposed to go to heck by then...
Salt of the water
AG
quote:

Copy the bbcode from imgur, or paste the imgur url using the texags insert an image button. I don't think either of those methods works for albums though... That may have been the issue.

Nice texas prison permit by the way!
RickSawyer
AG
Another early one...

BKClark
AG
https://instagr.am/p/_DezzKuy5k

Had five today. North of Rockport. Weather's good. Get it while you can.

That fly on the lower left is dead sexy!
Centerpole90
AG
Toe vehicle talk. Bro.
Centerpole90
AG
Solid post. It's worth hunting those pictures down.
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Toe vehicle talk. Bro.
They went through the Scrambler with a fine tooth comb, sent it to a shop in Austin that specializes in them and handed them the checkbook. It is immaculate.

Has me shopping for FJ45's again.
Salt of the water
AG
Jeep brah!

There's a lake just south of the mouth of the Brazos that is open to the Gulf. I think it's called lost lake on some maps. Not easily accessible by boat because you'd have to go in/out of the surf. It's a 20 mile drive up the beach from Sargent, but it seems like every tree that gets washed out of the Brazos ends up on that beach.

My only fishing buddy that is crazy enough to drive 2 hours and then offroad for 2 more hours just too scout a saltwater lake doesn't have 4x4, and I won't go with just one vehicle. Anybody in the Houston area up for a half wheeling / half fishing adventure? Ideal for kayaks or car topped microskiffs.

On Google Earth it looks like a shallow sandy lake with some grassy bottom, so the fly fishing prospects look decent.
Kalebcs
You can't get there currently. Cedar lake cut opened up during the last bull tides.
Kalebcs
Thanks bud! I'll try the Instagram route and see how that turns out.

https://instagr.am/p/--HZ3HLYr9

https://instagr.am/p/--HLOyrYrl
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Jeep brah!

There's a lake just south of the mouth of the Brazos that is open to the Gulf. I think it's called lost lake on some maps. Not easily accessible by boat because you'd have to go in/out of the surf. It's a 20 mile drive up the beach from Sargent, but it seems like every tree that gets washed out of the Brazos ends up on that beach.

My only fishing buddy that is crazy enough to drive 2 hours and then offroad for 2 more hours just too scout a saltwater lake doesn't have 4x4, and I won't go with just one vehicle. Anybody in the Houston area up for a half wheeling / half fishing adventure? Ideal for kayaks or car topped microskiffs.

On Google Earth it looks like a shallow sandy lake with some grassy bottom, so the fly fishing prospects look decent.
I am down!

Salt of the water
AG
quote:
You can't get there currently. Cedar lake cut opened up during the last bull tides.

Thanks for the heads up. Is it a deep wash, or do you think it'll be driveable when the tides finally come back down to normal levels? Any comparison to the cut that opened into the marsh near Mitchells cut?
Kalebcs
Surprisingly I haven't been over to see the one at Mitchell's since I heard it opened. Is it still there or has it filled in?

It's deep and wide, like it may be there for a while. Was waist deep in some places when I waded across this past weekend.
Salt of the water
AG
About 6 inches deep at high tide and no water at low tide. I made it around the bend at the cut on black Friday.

Waist deep at cedar lakes cut... Hmmm that could be some good fishing. Should also help the redfishing back in cedar lakes the same way the cedar bayou project helped down the coast. Fly fishing is the way to go in that area with all the oysters.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
I've always wanted to check that area out, might have to take the panga down there sometime.
Kalebcs
I wouldn't bother, there's no fish down there.

Seriously though, if you do, be very carful with that pretty new panga. The oysters are relentless and will trash some fiberglass real quick. Most of the guys from here run aluminum.
Salt of the water
AG
If your talking about going out the mouth of the Brazos and then back into lost lake in the panga, that hull would really shine. I remember reading in one of your posts on the OB that you've had scheduling trouble with your fishing buddies... I'd be happy to pole for you.

If your talking about cedar lakes in the panga.... Ouch! I bump and grind on the shell back there poling the gheenoe which probably floats a little shallower than a panga.

Never realized how spoiled I was fishing the LLM as a kid and not having to deal with oysters everywhere.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:

I am down!

Nice jeep. Bummer that we can't drive all the way up to lost lake from Sargent.

There's some good wheeling to get to the south side of East matagorda Bay though. Up near brown cedar flats area there's some good grass beds with sand bottom that are decent for wading.
RickSawyer
AG
Got a hall pass for Monday... gonna fish westbay. Weekend rains could muddy it up.
Centerpole90
AG
Ben Paschal gettin' work done in LA.

https://vimeo.com/148485670
RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Ben Paschal gettin' work done in LA.

https://vimeo.com/148485670
So much respect for an 83 year old lady buggy whipping a 25# redfish!
Centerpole90
AG
More #YESSIR & swag than Sumlin has tonight...

https://instagr.am/p/_DVdQUpYUA
230Ag
AG
that's a beast of a red! sucks my trip on sunday is getting postponed because of weather. wish i would have picked Monday instead. monday looks perfect.
Salt of the water
AG
Decided to leave work a little early and explore some marsh near drum bay with a buddy yesterday. Quick trip since the sun goes down so early. The only bites we had were from the skeeters.

The good news is that the tides are getting back to normal and the bait/redfish can't hide way back in the spartina like they did this fall.

The bad news is that the tides are getting back to normal and the oysters are only a few inches underwater. I need some really low winter tides so I can lay down tracks in the clear areas on the gps.
Ayto Siks
Awesome updates and pics lately. I walked a few miles down the beach this afternoon and stalked shallow snook. I had a few shots, including a real bruiser. I got this guy to my hand and saw the fly was barely in...he got away right as I reached for his face.

There were dozens of sheepshead a little deeper, but they ignored everything. Also, a mega shark swam by just a few feet from the sand. I might go back tomorrow and try to close the deal on a snook with shoulders. It's amazing to see them swimming in inches of water and then pursue a fly that originally landed in sand, and was swept into the surf by a wave.

230Ag
AG
quote:
Awesome updates and pics lately. I walked a few miles down the beach this afternoon and stalked shallow snook. I had a few shots, including a real bruiser. I got this guy to my hand and saw the fly was barely in...he got away right as I reached for his face.

There were dozens of sheepshead a little deeper, but they ignored everything. Also, a mega shark swam by just a few feet from the sand. I might go back tomorrow and try to close the deal on a snook with shoulders. It's amazing to see them swimming in inches of water and then pursue a fly that originally landed in sand, and was swept into the surf by a wave.

Ayto- that shot is awesome. where are you?
Ayto Siks
Thanks 230Ag. I was fishing on a barrier island near Naples, FL.

Edit: I went back today and caught one. The smallest one on the beach, but still awesome to sight cast.

230Ag
AG
quote:
Jeep brah!

I'm down! Definitely up for taking my Wrangler Unlimited on a fishing trip. I don't have a kayak though.
RickSawyer
AG
Beautiful day but the fish were not moving. Spooked 8 reds with the boat, had two great casts and couldn't get the fish to look up. The only saving grace, the sheepsheads were in pretty thick and were more aggressive than I've ever seen, travelling in schools and following flies. Was the first time for my bud JM to cast at these, he had more than a few bite but couldn't get a good hook set... Frustrating but a blast. Here is JM with a pretty little Texas permit...

Salt of the water
AG
quote:
I'm down! Definitely up for taking my Wrangler Unlimited on a fishing trip. I don't have a kayak though.

Report from Kalebcs is that cedar lakes cut is open and 4 ft deep. Might be a while before anyone can wheel up to lost lake from Sargent.

Seems like a few of us are interested in a combo 4x4 fishing trip though. Matagorda has some good flats that we can wheel to, and can be done in a day from Houston.

The weather looks decent this weekend. I may be able to sneak in one last trip for the year.
230Ag
AG
I was looking at the map on Google Maps satellite images and I am pretty sure I can run out the mouth of the Brazos and into that lake in my 16 ft alum john boat with my jet drive outboard. assuming it isn't too rough and i can run through the surf.

my boat will definitely run in about 1" of water at full speed to get through that cut into that lake. might be worthwhile to just pick a smooth day in the surf, throw some kayaks in my john boat and run out the Brazos.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Report from Kalebcs is that cedar lakes cut is open and 4 ft deep. Might be a while before anyone can wheel up to lost lake from Sargent.

Seems like a few of us are interested in a combo 4x4 fishing trip though. Matagorda has some good flats that we can wheel to, and can be done in a day from Houston.

The weather looks decent this weekend. I may be able to sneak in one last trip for the year.
but I'm up for Matagorda probably also.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.