Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,551 Views | 3064 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TarponChaser
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo said:

Salt of the water said:

If you're budget is 20k... This beav is still very new. The other two you're looking at have wheels but don't be afraid of the tiller, it makes cruising through the marsh fun.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5885303287.html
i have a hard on for the hewes/mav HPX hull. I have seen very good deals, a lot cheaper like under 10k, on other skiffs over the years but I have never pulled the trigger mostly because I am saving money to buy my unicorn or maybe my intro unicorn. I really want an 18 HPX but might buy something like that bonefisher to get into the hull at a lower cost and then upgrade later.

The problem is that those Hewes, while being beautiful boats, aren't going to get you into the water you want. Those are 10" boats, same as my Panga.
Ragoo
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Ragoo said:

Salt of the water said:

If you're budget is 20k... This beav is still very new. The other two you're looking at have wheels but don't be afraid of the tiller, it makes cruising through the marsh fun.

i have a hard on for the hewes/mav HPX hull. I have seen very good deals, a lot cheaper like under 10k, on other skiffs over the years but I have never pulled the trigger mostly because I am saving money to buy my unicorn or maybe my intro unicorn. I really want an 18 HPX but might buy something like that bonefisher to get into the hull at a lower cost and then upgrade later.

The problem is that those Hewes, while being beautiful boats, aren't going to get you into the water you want. Those are 10" boats, same as my Panga.
i honestly don't have visions of fishing 6" water at this time. I'd rather be able to fish around the jetties and some of the shallower flats while also being able to take it to a lake/river to fish for white bass in the spring.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Ragoo said:

Salt of the water said:

i honestly don't have visions of fishing 6" water at this time. I'd rather be able to fish around the jetties and some of the shallower flats while also being able to take it to a lake/river to fish for white bass in the spring.

I bet you change your mind next fall!

Ragoo
AG
maybe, I fished those lakes west of Tiki with Baron Boyette this past may and it was cool. I just know I will want to be able to fish bigger water.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

maybe, I fished those lakes west of Tiki with Baron Boyette this past may and it was cool. I just know I will want to be able to fish bigger water.

The mav is your boat. Even a 17 HPX-T likr Baron's would be perfect. You can crawl in the mud or look for rolling fish around the jetties. In the same day!

The boat Finn shot you also was built exactly for doing just that in my opinion.
Ragoo
AG
Baron has the micro with 40 4stk.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

Baron has the micro with 40 4stk.

Ah yes, he has the 17 hpx micro with the psuedo tunnel with the bevel on rear haul!
Salt of the water
AG
If anyone is looking to get their glass on - Cabelas has their cgr fiberglass fly rods on sale for $65 right now. You can get their 7/8 wt shipped with tax for under $90. The reviews I've read say it's a good entry level glass rod.

It's only a 7.5 ft rod, but for the short shots I usually see on the upper coast I don't think length will be an issue.

Not sure that bass pro is keeping the rod in their line up once they fully take over cabelas so that may be why they're selling them off.

I have one on the way to hopefully slow things down and help me improve on my casting. My 8wt is very fast and I know using it has given me some hitches in my cast.
RickSawyer
AG
Yes! I need a new 7'6" rod. I love the shorter rods when I am casting from the poling platform. Thanks.
RickSawyer
AG
Flying home from Geneva today, spending some time with the fam this weekend then driving to Grand Isle on Monday. Hope to have some beautiful bull eye candy for y'all soon!
NW80
AG
"Tarponfly" has been running my Glide of late. We're getting ready to modify it a bit and put an Atlas Micro Jackplate on it as well as re-prop it. Should be nearly THE perfect micro skiff then!
He put 21 fish on the boat in 3 hrs Tuesday!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
NW80 said:

"Tarponfly" has been running my Glide of late. We're getting ready to modify it a bit and put an Atlas Micro Jackplate on it as well as re-prop it. Should be nearly THE perfect micro skiff then!
He put 21 fish on the boat in 3 hrs Tuesday!

Nice.

I've seen the pics he's putting on InstaGram. Killing it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer needs to buy this BT Micro over in Tallahassee so he and the wife have "his & hers Beavertails"

BT Micro

In all seriousness though, this looks to be a really good deal.
RickSawyer
AG
Funny you say that, I am looking at the BT Mosquito very closely...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Funny you say that, I am looking at the BT Mosquito very closely...

Ayto Siks
Went on a solo mission for backcountry reds yesterday. Didn't see any, but managed to pull a personal best snook from the mangroves during low tide. Of course, no pics of the fish I caught. I need to work on that... But here's some pics of the set ups:

I still haven't caught a red or sheepshead on fly. I rarely see reds back here, but there are a few dinks. Maybe next time.
Salt of the water
AG
Looks like some beautiful country!
RickSawyer
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Went on a solo mission for backcountry reds yesterday. Didn't see any, but managed to pull a personal best snook from the mangroves during low tide. Of course, no pics of the fish I caught. I need to work on that... But here's some pics of the set ups:

I still haven't caught a red or sheepshead on fly. I rarely see reds back here, but there are a few dinks. Maybe next time.

Superb!
Centerpole90
AG
#YESSIR
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

Yes! I need a new 7'6" rod. I love the shorter rods when I am casting from the poling platform. Thanks.

Rod casts nice. The cork is budget cork, and I wish the first couple guides were bigger, but for the price I'm impressed.
Centerpole90
AG
LAWDY MERCY.

https://instagr.am/p/BN-Ue3XDlcj
RickSawyer
AG

Centerpole90
AG
Day of the Red. Nice touch.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Git'r dun fool
Salt of the water
AG
Swing by Metairie on the way home and pick up this little guy. It should fit in the back of a truck.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/5868295490.html

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Looks tippy.
Salt of the water
AG
Beam is about 40". That's about the same as a gheenoe or beavertail ambush.
Ayto Siks
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

Beam is about 40". That's about the same as a gheenoe or beavertail ambush.

Joke from microskiff
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo
AG
Yeah dude!
Salt of the water
AG
RickSawyer said:

What a toad. Congrats!
Centerpole90
AG
It's bigger than the skiff SOW posted.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Centerpole90 said:

It's bigger than the skiff SOW posted.

<insert>LOLcrying</insert>

And I was wondering when the pigs that ShallowRick was catching over in LA would show up over here.

But, really, I'm most intrigued by the video from the drive over there in which the vehicle appears to be a Mercedes mini-van.
Centerpole90
AG
@singlefin must be driving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.