Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,710 Views | 3066 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by dr_boogs
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good on ya'!

Also good to see Baron finally cut that nasty mullet.
reddog90
AG
Yeah agreed.
Ragoo
AG
his micro mav is sweet
RickSawyer
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Good on ya'!

Also good to see Baron finally cut that nasty mullet.

That glorious mullet got him a portrait from Chance Yarbrough dude! Chance had zero faith that Baron would keep it from Labor Day to New Years. True story, the day after he cut it he met his girlfriend- likely not a coincidence that he struggled to find many women interested in getting to know him whike his redneck flag was flowing in the wind...
Jrod05
AG
Alright 2 weeks late but here it goes. Mainly lurk in this thread but I posted a few pages back about how I recently got into fly fishing about a year ago. My wife's work took us to akumal and we went fly fishing in ascension bay. Well I took my new set up that is a 7wt it's a Scott tidal Rod and Ross animas reel that I bought 4 days before the trip.

My expectations weren't high but man it was awesome caught a few bonefish had a shot at some permit but my casting sucked on the windy bay. On the flats I was fine. All in all t&p for my checkbook I'm hooked.

Posting a pic of of my first bonefish it's small.

Here is a pic of my wife and I eating a sammich that she didn't make....

and our guides

Salt of the water
AG
Congrats!

Feech. Rule Juan. Pangas. Me gusta.

Jrod05 said:

All in all t&p for my checkbook I'm hooked.

Rick's trying to unload a fine little skiff... Just saying.
K Bo
AG
Sweet! I'm headed out with Baron a week from tomorrow. I heard he slayed 'em on Saturday, as well, so I am hoping for similar results.

Jrod05, T&P for your checkbook, indeed! I just picked up this sweet Tibor Everglades from Gordy & Sons that matches my Scott Meridian nicely.

RickSawyer
AG
Salt of the water said:

Congrats!

Feech. Rule Juan. Pangas. Me gusta.

Jrod05 said:

All in all t&p for my checkbook I'm hooked.

Rick's trying to unload a fine little skiff... Just saying.

15k for texag saltwater flyfishing degenerates!
Jrod05
AG
Man I'm trying to decide if I want fiberglass or a hog island or Sabine skiff because if I got fiberglass it will knock out a river I like to fish
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That's a sexy little combo K Bo.
K Bo
AG
Thanks! I am certainly not deserving of such a nice setup. I blame Rick!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
K Bo said:

Thanks! I am certainly not deserving of such a nice setup. I blame Rick!

My Riptide is that matte black with a permit engraved on it. No contrasting drag knob though. And I'm a Scott fan. I have an S33 8wt (their premier SW rod a couple generations back) and a 10wt Tidal. I think the Tidal is far & away the best bang-for-your-buck rod on the market.

I just wish they'd come out with a 1-piece rod. I got to use a prototype 1-piece Meridian 9wt on a guide's boat and it's badass.
AGricola08
AG
FBG_Ag78
AG
Curious about your comment on desiring a one piece rod. Why is it preferential to a 3 or 4 piece that would be easier to travel with?
AGricola08
AG
It is just one piece/blank and so it performs better than a rod that breaks down to 3-4 pieces. I can't speak as a pro, but generally the thought is that you lose some performance via the ferrules. (the rod connection mechanism)
RickSawyer
AG
AGricola08 said:

It is just one piece/blank and so it performs better than a rod that breaks down to 3-4 pieces. I can't speak as a pro, but generally the thought is that you lose some performance via the ferrules. (the rod connection mechanism)
Yeah, it's totally user preference. I loved the one pieces I've thrown (Hardy 10, G-Loomis Crosscurrent Pro 10wt, Marshfly Nano 8/9). The bigger Hardy rods are true work horses.

That said, really makes more sense when you own a skiff (ease of transport).
rather be fishing
AG
I've got a really nice 2pc 5wt that I never use because it's too big to carry around easily. When I bought by 8wt over the weekend, I wasn't looking for anything except a 4pc.
Jrod05
AG
Rick awesome looking boat. Are you on the Texas coast?

damnit though cause I'm sure it will sell. I got the green light to look at boats but after I buy the rib window treatments I'm sure it will sell before then. I have zero knowledge about skiffs. Grew up boating on the lake tho.

Taking a family vacation to watercolor in a month so hope to hit the water with a guide and maybe look at a boat or two since we are driving.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
FBGAg78 said:

Curious about your comment on desiring a one piece rod. Why is it preferential to a 3 or 4 piece that would be easier to travel with?

They're less prone to breakage, lower maintenance, lighter in hand & swing weight, and generally a truer action. If you've cast a good 1-piece stick you'd be enamored with them too.

And to be clear, the 1-piece are wants and not truly needs. One thing I do want is similar to Rick's mini-mag set up and that's a short (8' or shorter) 7wt rig.

I want 1-piece rigs in 7, 9, and 11 weights but I do already have multiple 8, 10, and 12 weight rigs. All of which are 4-piece and travel easily. And that doesn't count my bigger glass rigs in 7wt (one vintage, one modern), a vintage 9-10wt (more of a 9wt), and a vintage 11wt.
RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

Rick awesome looking boat. Are you on the Texas coast?

damnit though cause I'm sure it will sell. I got the green light to look at boats but after I buy the rib window treatments I'm sure it will sell before then. I have zero knowledge about skiffs. Grew up boating on the lake tho.

Taking a family vacation to watercolor in a month so hope to hit the water with a guide and maybe look at a boat or two since we are driving.

Hey man, I can always keep you in the loop! There is a lot if skiff knowledge on here. Happy to help whether or not you are ultimately interested in my skiff.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Thanks Finn, Ag and Rick! This thread delivers again.
Jrod05
AG
Rick please do.
Centerpole90
AG
Man I wish I had that low time 70. The 4stroke has some nicities, like sipping fuel, but for performance this is a great combo.....

https://instagr.am/p/BUVEv6jAqa2
Jrod05
AG
So for someone looking at boats and never looked at skiffs. Those mavericks hold their value I would assume that is mid 30s? Why is a 13 year old demand so much just curious? Not a troll just trying to further my knowledge I grew up fresh waters so I know runabouts and is it the same as why a sea ray is more? Just assume craftsmanship and reputation?
Ragoo
AG
Jrod05 said:

So for someone looking at boats and never looked at skiffs. Those mavericks hold their value I would assume that is mid 30s? Why is a 13 year old demand so much just curious? Not a troll just trying to further my knowledge I grew up fresh waters so I know runabouts and is it the same as why a sea ray is more? Just assume craftsmanship and reputation?
that boat should be 22-25k
Salt of the water
AG
Part of the reason older hells bays hold their value so well (25k for a 17 year old boat) because they are lighter and simpler than the new hulls. Not sure it the same is true for Mavericks.
Jrod05
AG
Ah makes sense! I just stabbed at price didn't ask or anything. didnt mean to derail
Salt of the water
AG
https://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/boa/6125621966.html
Jrod05
AG
It's like you've been in my search history. I'm leaning towards fiberglass. Since not all boats will check the boxes I worry about a huge repair on the hawg islands
Centerpole90
AG
SoW is like that little devil that sits on your shoulder and says 'do it' - he's a craigslist magician.
Jrod05
AG
Awesome I'll take all the help I can get. Heading to marathon mid July but I keep coming back this texas white BT.
RickSawyer
AG
Jrod05 said:

Awesome I'll take all the help I can get. Heading to marathon mid July but I keep coming back this texas white BT.

That BT might be gone monday. Had a gentleman come take a long look at her yesterday. Should know for certain this afternoon.
Jrod05
AG
Awesome man! I'm usually wrong place wrong time. I am thinking of leaning towards a side console just for if I have my boys in the boat with me. Don't even know what's good versus bad. I have officially derailed this to a boat thread
Salt of the water
AG
I don't think anyone here is bothered by some skiff talk. Kind of goes hand in hand with saltwater fly fishing.

And yes CP I am the little devil on your shoulder telling you to buy a boat.

I did actually do a skiffless trip yesterday. I was supposed to meet a guy from work at matagorda for some surf fishing, but he couldn't make it. I had fly gear in the truck but no fly box. Stopped at Stanley's convenience/grocery/hardware store and did a little tailgate tie session.

Waded the high tide in the marsh. Got two eats, but nothing to hand. Blew some shots at fish in flooded spartina and couldn't get the fly down quick enough to some fish in deeper marsh drains. Should have bought some splitshot to make eyes.
rather be fishing
AG
Centerpole90 said:

SoW is like that little devil that sits on your shoulder and says 'do it' - he's a craigslist magician.

I got am email with that link on like Wednesday. Wife would definitely not approve.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.