Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,935 Views | 3071 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by AgFlyGuy
Ayto Siks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome, what's your approach on sheepshead? I wanna join the sheepshead club, but I never even get a chaser.

RickSawyer
AG
quote:
Awesome, what's your approach on sheepshead? I wanna join the sheepshead club, but I never even get a chaser.

Honestly, cast and pray. I'd never witnessed the sheepshead acting aggressively. I know some guys have specific flies but We Were casting redfish crack and getting good follows / takes.
Kalebcs
The Brazos would be super sketch right now in a John boat. Lots of debris and crazy currents. It as high as it has been all year minus the post hurricane rise.
230Ag
AG
actually correction. not a 16. it is an 18ft tunnel hull with a v front. it isn't a flat bottom john boat. I'd wager on it handling anything the Brazos could spit out. It's been out some serious rough bay waters and the surf quite a few times.
Kalebcs
Yeah that sounds a little more sea worthy for sure. Still, be very careful on the Brazos. Lots and lots and lots of trees in it and the ICW.
Salt of the water
AG
If we can line up our schedules with an ice cream day, I'm in.

I don't have a kayak that's suitable for fishing, but FTUs rentals aren't too pricey if we wanted to go that route.
Salt of the water
AG
quote:
The only saving grace, the sheepsheads were in pretty thick and were more aggressive than I've ever seen, travelling in schools and following flies.

What I've read says they get more aggressive throughout the winter, peaking in Feb/March for their spawn.
RickSawyer
AG
Houston guys, swung by to check out Bayou City Angler this morning and was really pleased with the shop! They have a really nice selection of rods and reels, some really cool Chance Yarbrough custom artwork bugger beast artwork boxes (I grabbed two), great gear including but not limited to Flood Tide, Patagonia etc... Super nice folks. Gonna swing by again and play with a glass rod soon and the Nautilus keeps looking me in the eye saying, "buy me!".

Sounds like they are having a meet and greet there tonight from 6-9pm of local saltwater fly fisherman if anyone is looking for something to do this evening. Not sure I can make it
NW80
AG
Who owns that shop Rick?
Salt of the water
AG
Stacy Lynn
NW80
AG
Where is it?
Centerpole90
AG
3641 Westheimer Rd

I've driven by it twice now (610 headed south) on my only 2 trips to the tine since last Christmas. Both times I let traffic dictate that I just keep headed south.Once on the day of it's grand opening and again today, when I apparently missed the opportunity to meet Rick.
RickSawyer
AG
Sorry for the late replies! The shop is on Westheimer in between Westlayan and Edloe. Was a nice turn out tonight and met another aggie.
RickSawyer
AG
Speaking of tow rigs, someone (other than my wife) tell me why I dont need this to drag the Beav around

1972 K20 Dually Flatbed Near Houston
Salt of the water
AG
Because you need something with wood panelling to keep with the beaver theme.
RickSawyer
AG
What if I just wood paneled the flat bed?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
What if I just wood paneled the flat bed?

Build a nice wooden rod & gear rack to go on that flat bed.
Centerpole90
AG
The Beav would have been awesome behind the rig I sold to fund the Mav

although getting out of the boat ramp would have been a show. I'm well versed and here to help with 67-72 Chevy questions.
K Bo
AG
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
Salt of the water
AG
Trying to tie the Smartt deadhead minnow, I think they look like a great mullet pattern for the winter.

I've never done dubbing before, anybody got any dubbing tricks that would get me up the learning curve?

Here's numero uno:

My craft fur is a shorter than I'dd like in the tail section, and I did a poor job spreading the glue out on the oposite side of the fly. I'm pretty happy with the shape of the head, but I'd like to make it bigger. Thicker patch of dubbing at the head end of the loop, or just tighter wraps of the dubbing loop near the head?
Centerpole90
AG
I think it looks awesome! Furthermore it has given me an idea. We have a master tyer on amongst us. I'm working to get him to post up a couple tutorials.

You know who you are.
NW80
AG
Enrique Pugalisi has a website that costs about $20/yr to use. He has multiple videos of tying that are excellent . It also gives you access to buy his materials online ( a nice feature for those of us not in Houston anymore). Some of his techniques with his "fibers" are really cool! Check it out.
Salt of the water
AG
Only got to tie a few more yesterday.

2 - better tail, worse body

3 - came out cone headed, not sure why

4 -has a hump on the top of its head but it's my favorite one yet

Now I just need the paint to dry so I can see if they have the corky-like action I was hoping for.

NW80 - thanks for the heads up on EP's site, I'll have to check that out.
NW80
AG
He has a number of "dubbing brush" patterns ( some even named after our own Scott Sommerlatte) that should significantly help you out.
By the way all of those flies will catch fish. Can't tell the size, but a bigger fly in that pattern will probably catch big sow trout this winter and early spring! Nice stuff!
Centerpole90
AG
At my urging BKClark was kind enough to do a step by step tutorial on a crab fly he ties. I was attempting to do something similar but at 3x the workload and not near as nice looking when he taught me to use the EP brush body instead of tying in tufts of EP fibers.

I've uploaded the pictures so everything from here down is the work of BKC. Thanks for the time amigo!

Ok, here's an easy to tie crab fly. This fly can be tied in numerous ways and the method used for the body can be used for crab flies, Kwan flies or toad flies. The tail in this fly is simply tan craft fur. You can use maribou, finn raccoon fur, coyote fur, or even hackle to simulate claws.

Start by attaching your thread and figure-eighting on a set of eyes (use the correct weight eyes for the water depth you are fishing). Bring your thread back to the tie-in point for the tail. This should line up with the hook point. In this example, I under wrap the craft fur tail to keep it from fouling. I then added the bars on the tail with a sharpie.

Palmer the brush up to right behind your eye. Don't leave any space. Tie off the brush and cut the remainder. I use wire cutters so as not to dull my scissors. While palmering the brush use your left hand to fold the fibers back. I also use my bodkin along the way to pick out any trapped fibers. Once you have tied in the brush use your bodkin to pick out any trapped fibers. It should look like an ugly hairball at this point. Advance your thread in front of the eyes and add a whip finish or a half hitch to secure your thread. Leave the thread attached.

Start using your bodkin and fingers to part the fibers leaving equal amounts on each side. Rotate the vise and do the same thing on the other side. The part should line up with you hook and the fibers should now be perpendicular to the hook. The next two photos are from the bottom and the top to illustrate how the fibers should look at this point.

Use a pair of long straight scissors to trim the fly. Trim both sides so that the are equal length.
I trim so that my scissors are at an angle from the hook eye to the end of the body. Be careful not to cut
your tail off.

Both sides trimmed with a rough cut. You will want to trim so that both sides look the same. This takes practice and doesn't need to be perfect.

Next trim the top and the bottom of the fly. You scissors should be perpendicular to the hook
shank. Trim as close to the hook shank as possible to get the "flat look". The photo below is about
trimmed up. Be careful not to cut your thread while trimming. This will happen and is the reason
We put the whip finish in front of the eyes. If you cut your thread, just restart it in front of the
eyes.

Add your weed guard and head cement and the fly is finished as seen below. Go Fishing!

Materials List

• Hook Mustad 34007 #2 use any size hook you like, but make sure it has enough shank
  • Tail tan craft fur
  • Body Enrico Puglisi Crustacean brush
  • Eyes 1/8th diameter brass you can use bead chain, lead, or plastic eyes
  • Thread Ultra Thread 210 denier. Danville waxed also works

Salt of the water
AG
Thanks CP for posting and BKClark for the tutorial!

This part is unclear to me. What do you mean by under wrap and how does it help with fouling?
quote:

In this example, I under wrap the craft fur tail to keep it from fouling.

BKClark
AG
So instead of wrapping over the material, pull the tail up and make a few wraps underneath it and up tight to it. This props the tail up and keeps it from fouling around the hook.

see picture 1 and how the craft fur stands up off the hook instead of wanting to sag down

Does that make sense?
Salt of the water
AG
Makes sense. Thanks!
Ayto Siks
That's a good lookin' fly, Salt. If there's a way to hide a bit of foam in the head, so the head floats and the body sinks, then you've got a killer mangrove pattern for backcountry tarpon.

I've been trying to find something like your fly + a floating head. The closest things I've seen are poppers and gurglers, but that's not exactly what I'm trying to mimic (don't want the fly to float level, and a big/bulky body is important). Guess I'll have to learn how to tie flies.
DV04
AG
quote:
Houston guys, swung by to check out Bayou City Angler this morning and was really pleased with the shop! They have a really nice selection of rods and reels, some really cool Chance Yarbrough custom artwork bugger beast artwork boxes (I grabbed two), great gear including but not limited to Flood Tide, Patagonia etc... Super nice folks. Gonna swing by again and play with a glass rod soon and the Nautilus keeps looking me in the eye saying, "buy me!".

Sounds like they are having a meet and greet there tonight from 6-9pm of local saltwater fly fisherman if anyone is looking for something to do this evening. Not sure I can make it

Went by there yesterday while I was in town. Pretty neat place and the lady working the register said she was an AG. She said she was one of the owner/managers. Any way I told her I read about the shop here on Texags which she thought was pretty cool.
Salt of the water
AG
This is from Smartt's website.
quote:
You can also use silicone instead of fabric paint for the skin over the head. Shown here is a Silicone Deadhead with flat stick-on eyes below the skin. Silicone versions are neutrally buoyant and have a soft rubbery texture. This fly is tied on a wicked 2/0 Gamakatsu Finesse hook and has tagged many striped bass.

If put enough silicone on I bet you could get it to float head up. Swap in rabbit strip to weigh down the tail and the you could really get it to float vertical if that's what you're aiming for.

Get a vise and get busy! I know it's probably tough for you though with all those fishable days in Florida.
RickSawyer
AG
Lower Laguna Madre Outfitters put up a really nice Texas tailing redfish video yesterday!

https://vimeo.com/149664994
BKClark
AG
https://instagr.am/p/_rsKctuy_b

Christmas tree fly. Here's to good fishin in 2016
Centerpole90
AG

Ho Ho Ho, fishin' buddies. Here's to tight lines for all of us in 2016!!
RickSawyer
AG
Weather forecast was slightly off, windier, colder and more overcast than anticipated but found one fish willing to take my father-in-law's fly this morning...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.