Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

463,597 Views | 3065 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by dmperch
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't had a chance to update the thread after my second day on the water. While I had a good day on Thursday, Saturday was epic. My personal best saltwater fly day - I stopped counting after 15 fish at the boat. Lightbulb went on on how to feed black drum. Caught a bunch of reds too. So many great eats. What a special fishery, all I can think about is how to get back on the water. Fish trying to eat the fly line, lunging and attacking the fly, and falling for our traps as they exit the grass.

Prior to these two days I was in a little slump. Had fished two days in Rockport and got zero eats, was grinding it out. But Saturday, the weather started out cloudy, had to battle a couple of showers, but then after they broke up the sun came out and the wind laid down - slick as glass and tails were everywhere. It was glorious. Could not get a small red to eat because he was doing a headstand. Finally caught him after 4-5 shots and he spit a crab out in the boat. What a trip!

DV04
Ayto Siks
panag
LRHF
AG
Nice trip report! How do you like that Tibor?
dr_boogs
AG
I love the whole setup - both the rod and reel and the line I'm using right now. You guys know better than I do, modern fly rods tend to be pretty fast, so it's taken me some time to learn how to feel the rod and to adjust timing depending on whether I'm making a short or long cast (still have a lot of learning to do).

The rod is a T&T sextant, 9 ft 8 wt. Reel is a Tibor Everglades custom in frost silver. They pair perfectly together. Line is a Rio flats aqua/orange/sand pro WFF 8 which is great in hot weather/water.

It finally clicked my last few trips and I'm beginning to make some long casts w decent accuracy. The key for me has been staying short w my up cast, making a good double haul w my haul hand coming all the way back up to the reel during the up cast, and feeling the rod to let the rod make the cast and not trying to muscle the line forward on long casts. That, timing (don't come forward too soon) and a tight loop allows you to punch a tighter cast into the wind. I practice 2-3 days a week when I can. Stand on a small cooler in the yard the size of a casting platform and put out cones at different distances.

And then there's the fact that I cast left handed, and on the middle coast w wind and sun, 70% plus of my casts are on the left side of the boat and forehand casts are a no go. I started w overhead and cross-body casts but could not make those work for distance and ended up rocking the skiff. My fishing buddy who is a much better caster got me to switch to a traditional backhand. It was a struggle to learn to backhand and haul, but I'm getting it.

My first caught fish on Saturday was early, sun wasn't up, so he spooked from the boat pressure out to my left (10:00) but not real fast. I would never have had a shot at that fish but w my backhand and a good double haul I laid out a 60 foot backhand cast in front of the fish and got him to eat. Definitely my personal best backhand. Asked my guide how long it was and he confirmed the distance.

Crazy how much line these modern graphite rods will pick up off the water too. No problem lifting 40-50 ft of line off the water into an upcast if you know how to let the rod work.

DV04
AG
Great review!
TarponChaser
Time to take the plastic off the rod handle brochacho.
AgFlyGuy
dr_boogs
AG
C'mon man, don't come at me with that weak sauce. That photo was taken the day I test drove the rod down at Gordy and Sons and picked up the custom reel. You don't take the plastic off until you're sure you're gonna buy it! Brochacho....more like Teddy Brosevelt....Brotato Chip....Brohein......
LRHF
AG
Somebody on this thread is holding back on some great trip reports!

Fishing partner and I should be in LA fishing Friday- Sunday. (Hopedale) Should have a couple of days of sun with some light/ moderate wind. Hoping we can make one day to the Chandies!
DV04
dr_boogs
AG
I owe you guys a post and photos on a 2.5 day DIY trip out of POC a week or so ago. Did pretty well, my buddy has fished so much down there this year he just knows where to find them.

I'm headed to Louisiana Monday night to fish a few days w him chasing bull reds on the fly. Will report back on that trip too. Wish you guys the best of luck! Tight lines!
Long range Ag
AG
Hit Port A last Sat
Caught a bunch on the fly but my ******ed stepbrother caught only one. Also caught a bunch of bull reds on a cut mullet fly.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Catching a redfish a fly rod is the bowhunting of fishing.

What else requires more skill and attention to detail?
texican08
AG
Catching a sheepshead on fly
LRHF
AG
Day 1- Biloxi Marsh

Plenty of sunshine today! A bit too rough to make it out to the Chandies today. Explored the Southern Biloxi Marsh and had an action packed day.

My fishing partner connected with a nice red. I was poling in an area that was super calm. The fish just appeared and was suspended in the water. He made a perfect cast the the red exploded on the fly and was a good fight.

Later In the afternoon, we were near the end of the day when we got new to schools of black drum (deeper water, didn't know if black or red drum). Finally connected on this big guy that was 43" long with a girth of 31" (calculator estimated near 46 lbs).

Cloudy with light rain tomorrow. Not getting up early, may grab some shrimp and catch a few dinners in the afternoon!

LRHF

LRHF
AG
Day 2- Biloxi Marsh

Windy, cloudy, rain and cold! Boat maintenance day...

LRHF
AG
Biloxi Marsh- Day 3

Slept in until 6 am since the wind blew all nights. Low was in the upper 30's and the wind was howling! We launched out of Hopedale and ran to some protects lakes (ie about 25' on the leeward side).

Poked around and had a very aggressive sheepshead eat. The redfish were hungry and caught quite a few fish for table fare. Caught a small bull working the shoreline that was headed straight for us as we pushed along there bank.

We caught plenty of fish today but the big ones eluded us. Had a monster blow up about 20' from the boat around 4 pm when the sun was terrible.

Happy for a great day in the Marsh when we were concerned that the wind could have other plans.

Hoping my standby flights tomorrow at least get me to ABQ tomorrow night! (Then a short drive back to Durango, CO).

Long range Ag
AG
Nice fish!
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for posting. Looks like you had a great trip. Awesome sheepie!

I fly over today, fishing out of Delacroix for 3 days. Looks like it will be cold but we should miss the rain.
LRHF
AG
dr_boogs said:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you had a great trip. Awesome sheepie!

I fly over today, fishing out of Delacroix for 3 days. Looks like it will be cold but we should miss the rain.

Good luck! We fished two sunny days but had major purple fly rejections. We switched to natural shrimp colored flies and back to normal. Hope the sun peeks out for y'all for a few hours.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the intel!
AgFlyGuy
AG
dr_boogs said:

Thanks for the intel!
Keep us posted for your trip as well, I'm headed to Coco 11/30-12/4.
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks for posting up some pics! Looks like a good time despite the high winds.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TarponChaser
Nice pics.

I took a day and went on Friday but got skunked. Was hoping the pre-front fishing would be on but the water was super high before the dump and I'm pretty sure the reds were feeding all night in the warmer weather and full moon. We saw a lot of fish but they were all hugged up on the bottom and only saw them blowing out and taking off.

Oh well, better than being in the office.
Ayto Siks
The November reports are great. Some beautiful fish in these pics. Keep 'em coming!

I went a few weeks ago, but couldn't get anything to the boat. Had a sheep eyeball the fly and some reds pull the hook. The only thing we touched was a fouled stingray - right by the barb.
dr_boogs
AG
I had the mother of all sheepshead rejections a couple of months ago in rockport. Fishing w Dylan Mendoza.

Small sheepie crawling along bank w half his back out of the water. Threw the fly way ahead of him (small shrimp pattern) to try and set a trap. Let it sink and hit bottom. As he approaches I give it a tiny twitch. He races over to it and tails up on it and gives it a one eyed inspection. Like he was doing a headstand right in front of it to get a good look. Tiny twitch on the fly and he just blows up and hightails it. We were both laughing so hard. They don't call them the Texas permit for nothing! I'll catch one on the fly eventually..
dr_boogs
AG
Ok - quick photo dump while waiting on my flight. This was a trip out of POC end of October. 2.5 days. Weather was excellent day 1, marginal day 2, terrible day 3. We caught 9, 4, and 2. All reds. Had some good eats. Fish weren't super active. Had to grind all 3 days. A great few days w my buddy on the water. Sunrise out of Little Mary's. Pelicans cruising. Saw a nice little 8 hanging out on the flats. We got within 20 yards of him bc we were poling before he saw us. Pretty cool.

AgFlyGuy
AG
Interesting story from last week. Fishing around Galveston and came across this sucker sitting on a point in about 10" of water. We cast everything we had and he wouldn't eat, but he never moved. After 5 min of literally hitting him in the mouth, we poled over and caught him in a net. Just a touch over 34". Looks like he was on the losing side of a battle and was up shallow to rest.
bmfvet
AG
Went down to Hopedale a couple weeks ago. The first day was tough, day 2 we didn't go out due to weather. Day 3 was pretty good. My fishing buddies are newer to fly fishing, so we could have had more fish.

I caught the gar and had a bigger one on later that came off.

Day 4 the weather was perfect and we made the run to the chandys.

We got into some nice fish and had a couple doubles. The jacks were still around too.

‘99
Long range Ag
AG
Awesome fish and pics
I don't ever want another Jack on the fly
Takes too long to land em!
I broke my back on a rogue wave early Nov, so in brace off the water for 12 weeks
Going back to Port A early Feb if anyone wants to share a guide.
LRHF
AG
Hopedale, LA- Trip Report

The fish are a tad scattered. Didn't find any schools and occasionally went hours between seeing fish. Had amazing sunlight and generally good conditions.

Caught a few but not what we were looking for. A small pod of black drum rescued our afternoon yesterday.

I did manage to take a tumble from the poling platform, definitely some excitement! Went head first into the water, thankfully it was around 4' deep Glad the wind was light, the sun was out and somewhere north of 60F!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoVddWKJkHa/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Any of you guys fished Eleuthera? I'm going at the beginning of June. Family/kids trip but should be able to get a couple good wades in. Got the Hamilton DIY bonefish book, got a 7, 8, and 10wt... what can i do to smooth out the learning curve? Staying near south end of island, will have a car. Might try and do a half day guided.
RickSawyer
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Any of you guys fished Eleuthera? I'm going at the beginning of June. Family/kids trip but should be able to get a couple good wades in. Got the Hamilton DIY bonefish book, got a 7, 8, and 10wt... what can i do to smooth out the learning curve? Staying near south end of island, will have a car. Might try and do a half day guided.

I have bonefished Eleuthera DIY a few times but I also grew up living my summers on a sailboat in the bahamas for a few years which gave me a lot of time to figure it out and access to a dinghy to go exploring. Tides move a lot down there and will be important to finding fish.

For a family vacation with limited time to get your shots I would definitely recommend getting a guide for a day and make it worth it and also help support the dudes keeping the bahamas fisheries protected for us all!

As far as gear goes, 7-8wt is plenty. Last trip I took a 6wt and had a great time catching bonefish, barracuda and snapper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.