**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,327 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good point Hank. I meant major supporter as in he fought for them and lost everything - didn't mean to imply he was a big lord.
KidDoc
AG
Is anyone else playing the Tell Tale tablet game? It is pretty entertaining and has some nice parallel story lines to the show.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agustus Caesar
AG
Hold on ta your buttz
RedbeardAG
AG
Sooo... Pimping out a 14 year old and burning a 12 year old at the stake....good day of work D&D
Thunder18
AG
Disappointed in Stannis
The Dog Lord
AG
  • RIP Shireen. That was rough to hear. I wish Davos would have been there. The look he would give Stannis and Melissandre would be amazing. I don't see him staying loyal at this point. I can't believe Selyse was the one to actually break and change her mind.
  • The POV from Dany while riding was crap, but the other shots were great. It was awesome to see Drogon in action. It seems like they were trying to setup Hizdahr as the Harpy with him "being late" but then he gets knifed and might be dead now.
  • Does anyone think Ser Meryn knows who Arya is? It seems that way, but maybe he is also just wondering why the same girl keeps showing up. I wonder if she will present herself as his "fresh" girl the next day.
  • Biggest disappointment: not much happening with Jon. I'm starting to think we won't know his fate this season. I would rather be spoiled at this point.
Hudson2508
AG
It baffles me that D&D choose to add more violence and abuse to the TV audience that didn't even happen in the books. Maybe they knew GRRM would kill Shireen but that added with the Sansa rape makes me think they are just trying to shock instead if telling the story.
MBAR
AG
quote:
Sooo... Pimping out a 14 year old and burning a 12 year old at the stake....good day of work D&D
Martin gave them the material for Stannis' deed. Its pretty funny watching the internet react toward D&D the way they have as if Martin didn't do these things himself. Its GRRM's story.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Damn that was brutal.
MBAR
AG
quote:
It baffles me that D&D choose to add more violence and abuse to the TV audience that didn't even happen in the books. Maybe they knew GRRM would kill Shireen but that added with the Sansa rape makes me think they are just trying to shock instead if telling the story.
GRRM had plenty of rape and death in the books. You really think that D&D just come up with this stuff out of thin air?

Well...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/03/george-rr-martin-thrones-violence-women?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_article
MBAR
AG
Remember when Bran was a character on this show?
AggieSouth06
quote:

The rape happened in the books and was much more graphic and unsettling. It just happened to somebody we don't care about. When people say that the show goes too far, they're basically saying they're ok with horrible things happening as long as it doesn't happen to someone they like.
pb488
AG
quote:
in the episode recap directly after, one of the creators says something along the lines of "when george first told us about this, we couldn't believe it but understood it took stannis' story full circle" so I don't think they came up with this on their own

edit: only the first sentence stuck with me, it seems you saw the recap as well.
Hudson2508
AG
Yeah it wouldn't have been nearly as shocking if it wasn't Sansa. I'll give you that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ending:
OnlyForNow
AG
The whole meryn trant being a pedo was added just for TV.
rjamizon
Well I figured Shireen would get burned but in a way that would raise Jon Snow from the dead. This is not good.
G Martin 87
AG
Remember that old African fable about the frog and the scorpion? The scorpion asks the frog for a ride across a wide river. The frog says "No, you'll sting me!" But the scorpion quite reasonably points out that if he did, they'd both drown. So the frog agrees, and guess what happens? The scorpion stings the frog half way across the river. "Why did you do that? Now we'll both die!" And the scorpion replies "Well, I'm a scorpion."

Stannis has been brutally killing people every season for religious reasons and to secure his throne. Everybody just forgot about all the other innocent blood on his hands.
MBAR
AG
Yeah somehow people forget he killed his brother.
combat wombat™
AG
His brother was a grown man and fighting him for the throne.

SeattleAgJr
quote:

Well, the good thing is this sets the way for Jon Snow to take over the army's of the north once the book 5 ending plays out.

stannis is now a disgraced leader. his army will abandon him and go to zombie jon
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Well I figured Shireen would get burned but in a way that would raise Jon Snow from the dead. This is not good.
nope...i think they leave the ending now with Jon stabbed and dying.....

my only happy thing left to happen would be Ramsay getting an ugly death, maybe at the hands of Brienne.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Well, the good thing is this sets the way for Jon Snow to take over the army's of the north once the book 5 ending plays out.

stannis is now a disgraced leader. his army will abandon him and go to zombie jon
and this ENDS any chance that Stannis is the true king or winner in the end...you can't have a guy who sacrifices his own daughter be the one to rule in the end.

only the right and true and just will prevail - dany, jon, tyrion. and the ones who had little or nothing. i've held to that since book 1 and ep. 1.

combat wombat™
AG
Jon and Dany ruling together.
redline248
AG
So which of you cold hearted fcks still want Stannis to win the throne?
MBAR
AG
Not sure why someone in GRRM's world needs to be just or true to win the throne.
AgDev01
AG
I do. I just hope this is a D&D invention and not part of the winds of winter.
mid90
AG
that dragon riding CGI.

LOL
mid90
AG
quote:

In addition to being extremely unsettling.......my hopes for Jon Snow being raised from the dead just took a huge blow.
ellebee
quote:

Could it backfire and melisandre use it to save "the one true king", which might be Jon instead of stannis?
JCRiley09
AG
Assuming they're both dying at the same time, wouldn't stannis be shedding plenty of kings blood to raise Jon inadvertently?
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Not sure why someone in GRRM's world needs to be just or true to win the throne.

I get your point in that he could still win the throne if he crushes everyone else but keeping it would be another story. Also, he still needs others to help him win it. Tyron said it last week: "A ruler who kills those that are devoted to her is not a ruler that inspires devotion."

This wasn't someone who betrayed him or broke a crime and was punished much the same way Davos was with his fingers. This was his damn daughter. I'm not hitching my wagon to the mad king come again but with an extra helping of religious zealotry.
mid90
AG
  • was definitely expecting Stannis' men to mutiny
  • Arya was acting like a giant scrub. Lucky she wasn't found out by Meryn (not necessarily her identity, just "hey, why is this chick following me across the city and giving me furtive glances from the shadows?")
  • Jorah must have eaten something bad before his fight, because he was super scrubby. Turned it on when the harpy's attacked though.
  • Hizdahr acting like a giant ***** sitting next to Dany. You'd think he'd show her some modicum of respect, seeing as his fate is in her hands
  • Guess he's not the harpy though? That sucks. I really hate him.
mid90
AG
quote:
Assuming they're both dying at the same time, wouldn't stannis be shedding plenty of kings blood to raise Jon inadvertently?
interesting
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

so whats your theory then...stannis or cersei or the white walkers win?

great story....

i'm not saying GRRM is all sunshine, obviously, he has had plenty of good characters die...thats part of life of course....but evil cannot win in the end...it's not a great narrative.

tell me what great stories have ended with evil in triumph?

i'll take my theory...they are the only "good" characters left standing currently at least central characters with some type of claim on the throne and some backing (family, lineage, supporters, etc.). well jon is kinda outcast per the books but i think thats gonna change.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.