**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,257 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone think Arya gets blinded by Jaqen following her kill of Trant? Seems like that kill will take the place of that night's watch deserter. So the show-only watchers will be left with Jon's death, blind Arya not looking so badass anymore, potentially Robert Strong, Dany on the run....anything else?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Even if this wasn't a show, Stannis' men wouldn't mutiny as long as it worked. They made a point to show that they were all dying. Most of them probably thought it was ****ed up, but were hoping it would work. Once it does, they'd just be even more true believers.

Exactly. They're freezing to death, have no food left, only a few horses, no heavy siege weapons, and they'll be marching on one of the most heavily defended castles in Westeros soon. They're truly desperate. Mel's magic has worked before -- they were not going to mutiny. Sacrificing Shireen gave them hope.
G Martin 87
AG
Oh, something else that a lot of viewers have apparently missed: Greyscale Jorah touched Dany! What was he thinking? And then Dany held Missandei's hand! Grey Worm probably will get Greyscale next. Could we really have a Greyscale epidemic in Mireen soon?
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
quote:
If that's all a dragon has, Dany is in trouble. Would have thought the dragon scales were impenetrable and I would have thought one burst of dragon fire could have melted every Harpy in the ring.

Should be calling that dragon, Puffy
I'm assuming you're a non-bookreader

I'm a book reader, but I guess don't remember. I agree that the show portrayed the dragon as very easily killable. Care to elaborate on your comment?
bangobango
AG
quote:
Oh, something else that a lot of viewers have apparently missed: Greyscale Jorah touched Dany! What was he thinking? And then Dany held Missandei's hand! Grey Worm probably will get Greyscale next. Could we really have a Greyscale epidemic in Mireen soon?

I think that was just an oversight by the director. Aren't Targs immune to diseases, anyways?
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:

I think that was just an oversight by the director. Aren't Targs immune to diseases, anyways?

Dany seems to be, although the show hasn't made a point of that yet. But can Targs still be disease vectors as carriers? I haven't decided yet.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In the book, Drogon caught a few spears in the hide as well, and when he pulled them out, the smoldered... Nothing to worry about.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Uh oh...didn't think about that
rhutton125
AG
Jorah has the greyscale under that hand wrap - I don't think it's necessarily spread to his fingers. Or, an oversight. No way we have the Greyscale Gang sailing to Westeros to save the day.

RE: Pedo Meryn Trant, it gave the audience a reason to need that guy dead. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't show Syrio Forel on the "previously on." Arya's reasons for wanting Trant dead are 4 years old at this point, so I'm not sure how many non-readers are familiar with why she'd be willing to do all this. Now there's a bonus reason, I guess.

quote:
I could easily see Stannis falling in battle, Mel doing the resurrection prayer and Jon waking up.

I think this would make a lot of sense. If we actually get the battle for Winterfell next week, unlike the books, we could see the end of Stannis as soon as next episode.

Somehow I doubt it though... we have a lot to cover in the last 60 minutes. Perhaps we'll have an extended ep, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

Somehow we're expected to get:
- Mereen follow-up (maybe not a ton here, though there is the Tyrion group and Dany elsewhere)
- Arya vs. Trant, probable blindness
- Cersei repentance, walk of shame? Robert Strong mention?
- Dorne conclusion (snore)
- Jon Snow build up and betrayal (visit from Davos, too?)
- Sansa, Theon, Ramsay, Brienne conclusions
- Full battle for Winterfell?

Not sure. I guess it's possible if either the battle is short (no siege equipment) or the other scenes are brief.

Looking forward to it, either way. Possible new territory for book readers.
MW03
AG
I'm thinking you have to be touched with the infected area for it to spread.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Jorah has the greyscale under that hand wrap - I don't think it's necessarily spread to his fingers. Or, an oversight. No way we have the Greyscale Gang sailing to Westeros to save the day.

RE: Pedo Meryn Trant, it gave the audience a reason to need that guy dead. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't show Syrio Forel on the "previously on." Arya's reasons for wanting Trant dead are 4 years old at this point, so I'm not sure how many non-readers are familiar with why she'd be willing to do all this. Now there's a bonus reason, I guess.

quote:
I could easily see Stannis falling in battle, Mel doing the resurrection prayer and Jon waking up.

I think this would make a lot of sense. If we actually get the battle for Winterfell next week, unlike the books, we could see the end of Stannis as soon as next episode.

Somehow I doubt it though... we have a lot to cover in the last 60 minutes. Perhaps we'll have an extended ep, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

- Mereen follow-up (maybe not a ton here, though there is the Tyrion group and Dany elsewhere)

Not sure. I guess it's possible if either the battle is short (no siege equipment) or the other scenes are brief.

Looking forward to it, either way. Possible new territory for book readers.

Episode 10 synopsis from DVR guide - Stannis Baratheon commences his march; Daenerys Targaryen is encircled by a group of strangers; Cersei Lannister is able to overcome her sundry of emotions and appeals for forgiveness; Jon Snow confronts a life-changing challenge.

quote:

4 minutes if at all

wasn't even in the previews. but is in the description above (however, it seems to be talking about things in ep. 9 so who knows). could be one quick scene setting up Jorah, Tyrion and daario establishing a ruling council in her absence. another quick scene with dany in the wilderness with drogon somewhere.

quote:

6 minutes
i'm not sure the blindness is going to be used at all...but the set up was all there for the kill. this does not have to be long either.

quote:

8 minutes
this will be more attention but it does notn have to be long, at least 2 major scenes, confession and the perp walk.

quote:

2 minutes
not much to conclude here, it was all resolved last episode it seems, just could have jamie, bronn and myrcella/tristan heading home with some guards i imagine.

quote:

20 minutes, this is a major focus

quote:

another 20 minutes

quote:

doubt we get this, likely it is never shown. we had our major battle (budget) this season in episode 8. never had more than one major battle per season. deascription just says commences his march - thats doesn;t mean we get the battle necessarily.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I think that you must touch the infected area. He keeps that area covered.
aggie93
AG
quote:
If that's all a dragon has, Dany is in trouble. Would have thought the dragon scales were impenetrable and I would have thought one burst of dragon fire could have melted every Harpy in the ring.

Should be calling that dragon, Puffy
You have to remember that her dragons are still very young and Drogon was on the ground. A dragon with a rider that is flying at blazing speed and lighting fire to everything is a completely different ballgame, especially if the dragon is working in support of an army.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
deascription just says commences his march - thats doesn;t mean we get the battle necessarily.

My thoughts exactly. So while Stannis dying and the revival working on Jon might make sense, it's not that likely we see the full battle for Winterfell this season. Budgets, time, etc.

A separate topic: what will the final image of this season be? If memory serves...

Season 1 - Dany and the baby dragons emerging from the fire
Season 2 - White Walkers on the move (still think they kinda jumped the gun on this one, since they just now showed up in force again 3 years later)
Season 3 - Dany crowd-surfing across the freed populace
Season 4 - had to look it up, but wikipedia says Arya sailing to Braavos

Wonder what the final shot of season 5 will be. I think most of us in this thread would expect Jon's death or resurrection, but perhaps it will be Stannis's army charging Winterfell.
aggie93
AG
My vote is Varys killing Kevan.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

Had they had 30 secs of Kevan and Grandma Tyrell plotting night, I'd agree. Now it would be kind of random.
SuperAg05
AG
Did it seem like Dany might have actually half-warged into the Dragon when she was holding hands with Missandi? She seemed to close her eyes, and then all of a sudden Drogon appeared. Not sure if that was meant to be fortuitous timing, or hinting that she was either warging or "calling" to him through some mental connection...
MW03
AG
quote:
Predictions for the big drama to come:

Episode 8: Jon Snow kicks some white walker ass alongside Tormand to save a wildling village. They'll love him for it and agree to run south of the wall. The lack of white walkers at this point, plus the exposition of Sam giving Jon the obsidian daggers makes this pretty much a guarantee.

Episode 9: Dany gets ambushed in the pits by the Harpys; drogan saves the day and then flies off with Dany. Jorah, Tyrion, Grey Worm and Dario take over as the braintrust in Mereen. Basing this off the images from the season premiere trailer.

Episode 10: Cersei takes the perp walk through Downtown King's Landing; Theon escapes with Sansa; Brothers kill Jon Snow. Everyone loves Sansa getting free and Cersei getting her comeuppance. Maybe Arya kills Trent as well in this episode, making everyone feel great until the last scene which is Jon getting axed. Fade to black, everyone burns GRRM's house to the ground.

combat wombat™
AG
It seemed to me that he came when she "called".
G Martin 87
AG
She was preparing herself to be killed, according to D&D. Not a Targ Mind Meld.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
that would be out of the blue...but certainly possible...his absence has been suspicious (to book readers given what we know)...while non readers have not given him a second thought with all that has transpired just in that one story line....

jorah kidnaps tyrion, the stone men, greyscale, the slavers, the trial fighting pits, tyrion and dany, jorah and more fighting pits, the harpies, drogon and dany....

i could see it happening.

the first 3 seasons were iconic scenes, but season 4 was a bit anticlimactic...i mean we all like the arya story, but it was more personal and not on the scale of the others.

but it could be:
  • jon dying and smoke rising from his wounds (would be cool and cause much debate)
  • jon resurrected from the funeral pyre...this is the only epic one i can think of
  • dany flying back into meereen on drogon - unlikely and we already had a big fyling scene
  • stannis death or ramsay death - if these happen they are likely earlier, not the ending scene
  • cersei nude perp walk - would be interesting, ending with resurrected knight Robert Strong/the Mountain carrying her up the last hill

most likely to me is one of the Jon scenes....depending how they want to leave it.

if you think about it other than they arya scene the other ones have been 2 dany scenes and 1 jon (well it was white walkers, but that most closely associates with jon's story arc). another jon scene balances out the major story arcs that are not KL-centric. there are really 3 main stories now....KL, the north and the wall, Essos.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I bet we see Jorah trying to tame the other 2 dragons and getting crisped. His character is done.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:

Had they had 30 secs of Kevan and Grandma Tyrell plotting night, I'd agree. Now it would be kind of random.
I think it will be a more major character with Jon being what it SHOULD be IMO. We haven't seen him again, but they did at least mention him being Hand now. I believe it has been reported that he and others will be in episode 10 (although it could just be at the end of Cersei's walk). I do think the Kevan thing will happen though. It could still be a good ending depending on what happens with him prior to the death scene. It's also shocking to see Varys taking more direct actions and getting his hands dirty.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I bet we see Jorah trying to tame the other 2 dragons and getting crisped. His character is done.
Can you give grayscale to a dragon?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
yeah...very much felt like he got the chance to redeem himself thru dany's eyes and now....he can die at peace. and without the presence of the Quentyn Martell character that fate falls to someone else (Jorah is most likely)...those other 2 dragons are not just going to be sitting in those pits....time to loose them....

in fact i could see dany's thread being with drogon and the other 2 arrive at the end....and she is unaware of what happened to jorah.

but i doubt thats the ending scene...i still bet on jon.
MW03
AG
Interestingly (probably, anecdotally so) Agemmenon sacrificed his daughter Iphigenia at the behest of the seer Calchas to appease the goddess Artemis so that his fleet could cross the Ageon Sea and lay siege to Troy. It was said that Iphigenia was led to the alter unaware until the last moment. Artemis was the goddess of the hunt, and her sacred iconography was the deer.

Stannis sacrifices his daughter Shireen at the behest of the seer Melisandre to appease the red god so that his army can cross the northern snow and lay siege to Winterfell. Shireen holds a statute (or idol) of a deer, the sacred iconography of House Baratheon, as she is led to the alter unaware that she will be sacrificed until the last moment.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:

Eyrie parallel between Agamemnon and Stannis.

(yes, that spelling was intentional)
Post removed:
by user
bangobango
AG
I think Dany surrounded by strangers may be her finding the horse warriors.
aggie93
AG
I think they start with Cersei and her walk and seeing Kevan with Robert Strong. Then maybe one other short scene but the end of the episode being Kevan and Pycelle killed by Varys. If for no other reason then they don't have to pay 2 actors for next year.

Don't expect much from Stannis other than the snow melting and going to Winterfell.

Sansa escapes with Theon, not sure if Brienne is involved but I am now 99% sure Brienne kills Stannis in the end, likely next season.

Jon gets the pink letter (they seemed to show that in the preview) and dies. 50/50 on knowing his fate.

Arya kills Trant and is blinded.

Dany ends up "surrounded by strangers" which tells me she finds the Dothraki. I could definitely see Jorah trying to loose the dragons and getting roasted, would be super cool though if right afterward one of them comes up to Tyrion and allows him to be his rider.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Jon gets the pink letter (they seemed to show that in the preview) and dies. 50/50 on knowing his fate.
To confirm, we really don't know his fate either, right? I mean we are all ASSUMING he lives/resurrected, but we don't know.
BigTimeAlum
AG
I would be very surprised if we see John's resurrection. I am guessing GRRM waits to show that in his book.
aggie93
AG
Correct in that we don't know. Most likely is somehow he is brought back to life either on his own or with some connection to Melisandre (though she is hundreds of miles away so that seems less likely). Another option is he wargs in to Ghost but Martin as said in the past if a dying warg goes in to an animal they cannot go back in to human form so that seems unlikely. He could of course really die but that isn't likely. Finally, he could be stabbed but somehow survive straight up. I don't see the wildlings allowing Jon to be stabbed without coming to his aid.
LawAg05
AG
Ep 10 prediction:

Stannis - Ice melts and he moves toward Winterfell. No major plot advancement.
Arya - Kills Ser Meryn & is blinded.
Dany - Meets the Dorthraki.
Tyrion - filler. No plot advancement.
Cersei - walk of shame.
Jon - agrees to send aid with Davos. Gets stabbed. Fade to black.
Agustus Caesar
AG
Yup. They were introduced in the very first chapter, after all

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.