**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,226 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i also see littlefinger being just creepy enough to knock Sansa's boots in ned/catelyn stark's bed at winterfell.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Since it looks like Sansa is traveling with the Aryn banners, it could be that she's traveling to Winterfell with Robin and Littlefinger, though I doubt her disguise would be enough to fool Roose Bolton. The trailer shows her down in what looks like the Winterfell crypts though, so who knows.
wangus12
AG
As a big fan of the Great Northern Conspiracy Theory (to return the North to the Starks), I'm kind of disappointed that the Manderly's or Dustin's haven't been cast yet.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Lord Manderly is a great character, and I too am really disappointed he didn't make it in, plus he's such a great chameleon - big fat coward on the outside, scheming and proud on the inside, sort of like Doran Martell.

Plus Manderly speaks the line that became an episode title and a line of T-shirts.

My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home.[url=http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wyman_Manderly#cite_note-Radwd29.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-6][7][/url]
AggieSouth06
I think this will just fall to someone else. There was a rumor that the actor that played "KINGINDANORF" Greatjon will be back.

Who knows.
wangus12
AG
Well, Greatjon is still technically alive and has just been a prisoner at the Twins so we could maybe see his storyline advanced
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
a couple of 30 second preview scenes have surfaced on You Tube.

Varys & Tyrion

Mance & Jon
aggie93
AG
Take it with a major grain of salt but Martin dropped a hint on WoW that is getting a lot of buzz. He said that he wouldn't be attending a couple of Cons later this year "unless he gets WoW finished" and on follow up questions from fans he seemed to lay it out as possible. He also is floating that he may not write an episode for Season 6 to focus on it and has confirmed that he is planning on wrapping it up in 7 books.

Not holding my breath but I will take any positive news.

mid90
AG
quote:
Take it with a major grain of salt but Martin dropped a hint on WoW that is getting a lot of buzz. He said that he wouldn't be attending a couple of Cons later this year "unless he gets WoW finished" and on follow up questions from fans he seemed to lay it out as possible. He also is floating that he may not write an episode for Season 6 to focus on it and has confirmed that he is planning on wrapping it up in 7 books.

Source for all of this?
aggie93
AG
Westeros.org
SeattleAgJr
He also posted something about managing expectations.

I think he is actually farther along than most think, but I would be downright shocked if it is published this year. I would bet that if it is published soon they would tie it to next season's premiere.
redline248
AG
quote:
He also posted something about managing expectations.

GRRM = Eric Hyman?
bigbass1170
JAggie2007
AG
Youtube of B&B confirming show and books will have same ending.

Reddit summary of what was discussed in the video.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
That's what I'd been assuming would happen, but it's nice to get actual confirmation. Will take a little out of reading the last two books eventually, but it'll also be pretty cool to compare. This is a pretty unique situation in TV/books/movies/anything.

I think what I like about the arrangement is that we will get to experience the show as "non-book-readers" for the last couple of seasons, including whatever book or non-book surprises they include.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
That's what I'd been assuming would happen, but it's nice to get actual confirmation. Will take a little out of reading the last two books eventually, but it'll also be pretty cool to compare. This is a pretty unique situation in TV/books/movies/anything.

I think what I like about the arrangement is that we will get to experience the show as "non-book-readers" for the last couple of seasons, including whatever book or non-book surprises they include.
I agree that it will help make the show even more suspenseful for the readers. They have mentioned too that season 5 might also surprise readers with respect to how certain things play out, who does/doesn't die, etc. Seeing Craster's son turn was a great moment that had me freaking out, so I do somewhat welcome it.

I just would've preferred to discover it all through the books first the way GRRM intended it. I've said it before on here, but I'll say it again: Even if the show has the same general conclusion, the specifics of how the story arrives there does matter. For example, Tyrion and Jamie part on terrible terms in the book and on good terms in the show. What if book Tyrion kills Jamie and show Tyrion saves him? The theory that Sansa may take the place of Lord Manderly is another example. The show and books may not choose to diverge that much from each other, but they really can't know some of these things if GRRM hasn't written them yet. He does have a general outline, but he still makes changes and fills in the gaps as he goes. It has the potential to be a very different story, so I will still await the release of the books.
AggieSouth06
Titles for episode 5-7 released.

Episode 5 - Kill the Boy
Episode 6 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
Episode 7 - The Gift

So clearly Jon becomes Lord Commander in episode 5. Dorne does badass things in episode 6 (maybe "Fire and blood"?). And the gift could refer to Jon allowing the wildlings to settle in the area immediately south of the wall. Possibility of double meanings of course.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Just watching the marathon on right now. The scene when Braun, Shae, and Tyrion are drinking on their first night together. The play a game where Tyrion is burned by candle fire. Therefore, he can not be a targareon
LawAg05
AG
"The Gift" may refer to Arya at the House of Black and White
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Seeing Craster's son turn was a great moment that had me freaking out, so I do somewhat welcome it.

Was in the same boat. Then I re-read the Sam chapter in ASOS when the Night's Watch went crazy at Craster's. Two of Craster's wives convinced Sam to take the girl and the baby back to the wall specifically explaining that The Others were the boy's brothers and they would take him to make him one of them. So it kind of was and kinda wasn't a spolier.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
Seeing Craster's son turn was a great moment that had me freaking out, so I do somewhat welcome it.

Was in the same boat. Then I re-read the Sam chapter in ASOS when the Night's Watch went crazy at Craster's. Two of Craster's wives convinced Sam to take the girl and the baby back to the wall specifically explaining that The Others were the boy's brothers and they would take him to make him one of them. So it kind of was and kinda wasn't a spolier.

Haha true, but to have it confirmed and to know EXACTLY what they meant by that was still different. Not to mention showing the Nights King and the others.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha true, but to have it confirmed and to know EXACTLY what they meant by that was still different. Not to mention showing the Nights King and the others.

Yeah, along with the Purple Wedding (reception), that was probably my favorite moment of the season. Not a book spoiler, but also not something made up by D.B. and David. I also assume there was plenty of collaboration with GRRM to get it right.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

So the GoT TV show official Facebook page posted and made this picture their cover photo yesterday. I know there's a part in the books where Tyrion sees a big black shadow in the mist while on the boat with Young Griff, but it looks like they're going to give him a solid Drogon sighting to push along the Tyrion turning queen-maker story.

I don't imagine this changes much on the Young Griff front, though I guess I can dream.

ummmm....whoa that pic can look really weird if seen just right...i accidentally (i swear) scrolled that page to where only this was visible the first ime i was on that page......

now i may be ummmm desperate or lonely or active imagination but.....that sure looked like 2 thighs and the dragons head in the middle with its V forehead....ummmmm.....well, you get the picture....

is it just me?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Source for all of this?

i found it in here:
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/game-of-thrones-tv-show-will-spoil-books

But Martin has since cancelled several upcoming public appearances at conventions in order to finish Book 6, even teasing that he might finish as early as this summer a.k.a. "before these cons roll round." Meaning we might get Book 6 before Season 6. Maybe.
MW03
AG
"Game of Thrones showrunners confirm TV show will overtake the books, making book-readers' lives a spoiler nightmare."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confirm-tv-show-will-overtake-the-books-making-bookreaders-lives-a-spoiler-nightmare-10127324.html?cmpid=facebook-post

SeattleAgJr
quote:
"Game of Thrones showrunners confirm TV show will overtake the books, making book-readers' lives a spoiler nightmare."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confirm-tv-show-will-overtake-the-books-making-bookreaders-lives-a-spoiler-nightmare-10127324.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Good.

Book readers have been ******nozzles all over the place spoiling the tv series. So turnabout/fair play.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

Good.

Book readers have been ******nozzles all over the place spoiling the tv series. So turnabout/fair play.

I take it you aren't a book reader....so why are you on the book reader/spoilers thread?
OnlyForNow
AG
Your post makes me want to write out every significant thing that occurs in the books and hasn't been shown on the show and post it in every single show thread I see.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Good.

won't be any retribution as show watchers can't spoil the show for us book readers/show watchers - we will see it at the same time....nice try though. you sound bitter.

unless book readers wait for the books which i cannot imagine.

but if they do...unlike the show watchers - i bet they stay off message boards...especially ones with SPOILERs in the title.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

I felt the same way when people told me how North and South ended and I hadn't taken American History yet.
SeattleAgJr
Spoil away. I have not read the books, but have read very detailed summaries of all of the books, plus I am an active reader at the reddit r\asoif and r\gameofthrones.

I would bet I am more versed in the minutia of Westeros than most of the book readers here.
redline248
AG
Damn if you aren't the worst kind of hipster
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Spoil away. I have not read the books, but have read very detailed summaries of all of the books, plus I am an active reader at the reddit r\asoif and r\gameofthrones.

I would bet I am more versed in the minutia of Westeros than most of the book readers here.
Watch out folks, we have a badass in our midst!

He just doubled down on being a dewsh by validating himself with reddit.

Hudson2508
AG
I don't know why but "very detailed summaries of the books" makes me laugh.

People like you blow me away. If you care that much about the world Martin created, why not read the source material which happens to be pretty excellent literature?

Cliff Notes smack talk is a new level of internet sadness I'd yet to reach. Thanks for taking me there.
hunter2012
AG
If you are going to put that much time and effort, then just read the d@mn books. Wikipedia does not equate to one of the best world builder series ever made...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.