**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,356 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You can rape your wife
are you giving permission?
Urban Ag
AG
I think it would have been much better had the wedding been closer to Stannis nearing Winterfell such that Theon could have helped Sansa escape either before or the night of the wedding, unspoiled. That scene was just insult to injury, and was not necessary. And as noted, seems like a bad move by the writers as far as viewership and general interest is concerned.

The goings on in Dorne are lame. The fight was lame. The notion of Bronn and Jaimie stealing Myrcella from the Water Gardens is lame.

They are doing something right with the Faith Militant because it's giving me the same reaction I had when I read it. I want the Gold Cloaks, the Lannisters, the Tyrells, the national guard, whoever, to be called up and put all of those self righteous westburrow Baptists to the sword. I am also starting to think that the "walk of shame" that was alluded to before the season began may actually be for Margery and not Cercei. We'll see.

I'm also starting to think there will be no siege of Mereen. No talk of other Free Cities beginning to amass troops and march on Slavers Bay. No Victarion sailing for Slavers Bay. Barristan, who would lead Dany's army, is dead. I think they are going to replace the siege with some sort of large battle in the fighting pits. Maybe Jorah gets redemption. And this solidifies Tyrion's role in Dany's council and by next season they finally starting moving west. Who knows.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

They are doing something right with the Faith Militant because it's giving me the same reaction I had when I read it. I want the Gold Cloaks, the Lannisters, the Tyrells, the national guard, whoever, to be called up and put all of those self righteous westburrow Baptists to the sword. I am also starting to think that the "walk of shame" that was alluded to before the season began may actually be for Margery and not Cercei. We'll see.

agree mostly...but this part....we know they filmed the scene with Cersei walking nude through the city. there was a lot of press about it. unless you think it was all a misdirection.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just have ONE small, yes or no question for a book reader. A simple yes or no will do. In the books, do Jamie/Bronn and the Sand Snakes just happen to go after Myrcella at the EXACT same time? Cause to me that seems like a show thing.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I just have ONE small, yes or no question for a book reader. A simple yes or no will do. In the books, do Jamie/Bronn and the Sand Snakes just happen to go after Myrcella at the EXACT same time? Cause to me that seems like a show thing.
No.

Bronn/Jaime to Dorne is a show-only thing
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got it, I figured. Thanks.

Hauling ass outta here now.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
we know they filmed the scene with Cersei walking nude through the city. there was a lot of press about it. unless you think it was all a misdirection.

thanks, I believe you are correct, I forgot. And now I have something to look forward to.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I was not surprised at all to see how Sansa's episode went last night, and honestly it could definitely have been worse. Since the off-season there have been stories all over the internet about how Sansa was going to have some traumatizing experiences this season. Once it became clear she was taking the fake Arya role-- especially after making a big deal re-introducing Theon to her-- if your expectations didn't include this possibility, then I don't know what show you've been watching. Considering Sansa didn't really fight him and was doing what's considered her duty on her wedding night in this society, I thought she got off easier than she could have. I never really thought they'd go there with Reek "warming her up," but I'm just kind of surprised at all the outrage and/or surprise expressed here.
KidDoc
AG
Do you guys think Myrcella is still going to get her face wounded? I thought for sure that would happen during that lame fight scene. Hard to imagine it happening now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Do you guys think Myrcella is still going to get her face wounded? I thought for sure that would happen during that lame fight scene. Hard to imagine it happening now.

No way. That ranks way up there in the pointless detail department. "You know that girl that you haven't thought or cared about since ever? She gets cut."
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

No way. That ranks way up there in the pointless detail department. "You know that girl that you haven't thought or cared about since ever? She gets cut."

I disagree. I thought her getting wounded while a ward of Dorne was a big deal and a cause for possible war between the kingdoms.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Fair, but you accomplish the same with "sand snakes tried to kill her".
Inspector Spacetime
AG
As for the rest of the episode, I have to agree the Dornish storyline is making pretty dull subjects of two very good characters. The fight with the Sand Snakes was lame, and I was just really afraid that Bronn would somehow be given a ****ty choice of a death by the writers at the hands one of those weird little women.

Was glad to get a lot of time with Arya since she hadn't been in the last two episodes, IIRC. I'm starting to wonder though if Jaqen is going to take her sight at all, because the way he left it last night makes me think she'll be Cat of the Canals when we pick back up.

It's nice to see Littlefinger's plan basically revealed now, and I look forward to seeing how the meeting of these three armies goes down, though Littlefinger has the knowledge to allow him to swoop in with the Knights of the Bale after Stannis and Roose have beaten each other bloody.

Side note...the next three episode titles are:

7- The Gift
8- Hardhome
9- The Dance of Dragons...
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:

agree mostly...but this part....we know they filmed the scene with Cersei walking nude through the city. there was a lot of press about it. unless you think it was all a misdirection.

I imagine it still happens and if anything, this episode set it up.

Cersei plays the game from the position of thinking she's the King's mother AND a Lannister, and that makes her untouchable. She emphasized both points during this episode by saying that the Lannisters have no equal.

This episode shows that being royalty means nothing to the Faith Militants, and I think in an episode or so, she's going to learn that being a Lannister doesn't get you much either.
FredMc92
Why were the Sand Snakes arrested in the show? Have they done something against the Prince yet?
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
As for the rest of the episode, I have to agree the Dornish storyline is making pretty dull subjects of two very good characters. The fight with the Sand Snakes was lame, and I was just really afraid that Bronn would somehow be given a ****ty choice of a death by the writers at the hands one of those weird little women.

He did. It hasn't been discussed on this thread yet, but they made it a priority to focus on Bronn being cut by one of the Snakes. They poison their blades. He died in that battle, just nobody knows it yet.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Are the Sandsnakes the worst characters this show has ever had? None of them are believable as warrior princesses, there is the one that sports that ridiculous looking scowl at all times, they looked terrible in their fight scene, their acting seems to be subpar compared to everyone else on the show, and they are just not that hot.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Why were the Sand Snakes arrested in the show? Have they done something against the Prince yet?
He knows they are up to no good. Probable cause threshold is lower in Westeros.
Greeze06
AG
So gay how the sand snakes just happened to run into Jamie and brown at the same time and they just started fighting. Just real lame.
bangobango
AG
quote:
You can rape your wife

That's a rather modern concept, actually, and not at all in play in GOT land. Legally speaking, anyways.
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:

He did. It hasn't been discussed on this thread yet, but they made it a priority to focus on Bronn being cut by one of the Snakes. They poison their blades. He died in that battle, just nobody knows it yet.

That's what I am thinking, too.
bangobango
AG
Having Jaime and Bronne dress up and sneak right into the water gardens felt more like something off the three stooges than GOT. The sand snakes are terrible.

I think it is a testament to feminism that the Sansa rape draws more outrage than Theon getting his greyjoy cutoff.
Urban Ag
AG
Theon had it coming.
The Dog Lord
AG
If Sansa is going to be motivated to escape with Theon as fake Arya did, then she really has to be abused in some way by Ramsay to the point of regretting her decision to go through with the marriage. but...

quote:
I don't mind changes to the books, I just want them to be smart and make sense in the larger story. The way they have made some of these changes though work against the larger plot that they have set up. It's costing them too. The ratings for the first time are down. People just aren't as interested in the show whether they are readers or watchers. D&D have made some bad decisions on plot changes and it is costing them. Changes had to happen but they are losing viewers and may lose a lot more after another episode of little action and what they are doing with another protagonist.
...this. The show just isn't capturing people the same way (although I still enjoy it), and some people just flat out will quit on them over Sansa. I don't think that something bad happening to a character, especially in a show like GoT, is something to stop watching over, but others apparently do.

As for Tommen, even though he is older maybe they are simply setting him up for his golden shroud moment. Tywin warned him about what happened to bad rulers after all.
aggie93
AG
quote:
quote:
You can rape your wife

That's a rather modern concept, actually, and not at all in play in GOT land. Legally speaking, anyways.
Sadly, the crime of rape was really more of a property issue in history and not about protecting women at all. If a woman was raped she lost value by either losing her virginity and thus being less valued as a wife and more importantly she could bore a *******. Thus the real offense was either to the father or husband more than the woman who was actually violated. The concept of raping a wife didn't make sense because a woman was not legally able to deny her husband who essentially owned her or she was at a minimum a dependent of. She had very little in the way of real rights beyond that or what prized livestock would have.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Well they never say it, but pretty sure violence is not permitted in the Water Gardens at all - so anyone not authorized with a weapon would be in trouble.

Too many good comments on here to quote them all, but yes, what exactly was Jamie and Bronn's plan here? Sneak into the enemy resort, take Myrcella and walk out, no big deal? No recon, no finding someone to bribe, nothing; what if Myrcella had chosen to go riding a horse somewhere that day, were they just going to walk around smelling flowers until she got back?

I sort of wonder if they cast the Sand Snakes, then realized how much they sucked, and cut the story way, way down. My wife said their outfits looked like something out of a deserted island movie, and I tend to agree, and honestly, even with the oddness of fighting someone with a whip, Bronn would have killed 1-2 of them in the first few seconds based on what we've seen of him in prior combat scenes. Oberyn must have spent a lot more time in the brothels than teaching them to fight, because they look nothing like him in combat.

Jamie and Bronn are 2 fantastic characters, maybe even better in the show then in the book, and Doran Martell and Hotah are great casting that haven't had a chance to do jack squat. If I hadn't read the books, I would feel like Dorne in its entirety was a big pile of crap so far this year - it looks like they filmed all these scenes in one day - Doran in his chair, the Sand Snakes scheming like 3 girls writing a Slam Book, Myrcella and Trystane walking around the same three flower beds over and over, barf.

Ol Jock 99
AG
"What's the plan?"
"I like to improvise."
" well, that would explain the golden hand."
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:

Remember that they got Margery for something "real" in the series (lying under oath), rather than the fabricated fornication that Cersei orchestrated in the books.

I think that Margery will be doing some serious penance, but I don't see a nude stroll through King's Landing being the likely penalty for perjury.

Lancel is about to roll on Cersei. Naked Lena Headey imminent on the horizon. Whoop! (May need to re-watch "300").
agmatt06
AG
Agree...

Margery plays the game very well. She is a survivor so far.

Cersei thinks she is above it. She screwed herself and doesn't realize it yet.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
this show now needs some serious traction.....i am thinking it has all been building this season toward the last 3/4 episodes...but it really better deliver down the stretch. i can feel it losing people right now.

we need:

1. tyrion/jorah to meereen and get with Dany (based on spoiler screen shots from the pits this appears to be so)
2. a real war in the north and some conclusion whatever it may be (hopefully Ramsay dead) and...
3. some better situation for sansa out of all of this
4. Cersei to get her comeuppance (again based on leaks this appears to be so)
5. jon getting stabbed (whether he is raised/reborn or not)
6. arya completes her training
7. attemtped poisoning and dragons wreak havoc and dany rides away on drogon (or ends with her coming back)

that would suffice. and set up season 6 pretty well.

i really don't care what happens with jamie/bronn/sand snakes and myrcella right now...and pod/brienne will be in that north resolution somehow but otherwise i don't care.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Just saw this on reddit. You've got to be kidding me

KidDoc
AG
Geez that is bad fighting, you would think they could edit better.

I had a random thought today. Is the scene with Sansa over?
AggieHank86
AG
I hate the way that the series has handled the Sand Snakes. They were actually somewhat interesting in the books, with each being very different ... and arguably very dangerous in different ways.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Geez that is bad fighting, you would think they could edit better.

I had a random thought today. Is the scene with Sansa over?
There's more

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.