**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,318 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone got any theories/ideas as to what exactly happened when the White Walker struck Jon Snow in the chest (looks like it may have been his heart) and he started coughing blood?

At first I thought it was just a wound like any other but the cameras seemed to focus specifically on it in the same manner when Bronn was sliced by the Sand Snake's poison dagger.

So I guess what Im asking is, will there be and lingering effects from that blow? Did he somehow 'taint' Jon Snow in some way?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ollie is for sure going to stab Jon.
Yeah. I think when Sam said that sometimes you have to do something everyone else thinks is wrong but you know is right, he made up his mind on killing Jon.
Same here. People are going to lose their minds when the man who just survived a battle with the dead and killed an Other gets taken down by Ollie.
Going out like ****in Omar. Man, that outrage is gonna be delicious.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chase128
AG
quote:
Anyone got any theories/ideas as to what exactly happened when the White Walker struck Jon Snow in the chest (looks like it may have been his heart) and he started coughing blood?

At first I thought it was just a wound like any other but the cameras seemed to focus specifically on it in the same manner when Bronn was sliced by the Sand Snake's poison dagger.

So I guess what Im asking is, will there be and lingering effects from that blow? Did he somehow 'taint' Jon Snow in some way?
I thought he might have broken a rib or something to that effect.
AgLaw
AG
I think they need to end the season with Jon's resurrection. With the amount of media coverage of this show, there will be no surprise re: whether he survives. It will be evident during filming, and that information will leak out.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:

I really don't think they focused on it for anything other than dramatic effect ("Oh man, look how battered Jon is!")
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I think they need to end the season with Jon's resurrection. With the amount of media coverage of this show, there will be no surprise re: whether he survives. It will be evident during filming, and that information will leak out.
yeah that ws my initial thought....but thats months away....they still get that great effect if they leave him dead/dying.....at least for a while. non-readers especially will be going insane.

i've decided also that they are great at keeping secrets and possibly leaking only what they want as misdirection (take Lena last year and the fake LSH leaks)......

we had no idea this battle was coming, not to this epic scale at least. there were leaks of the set even at Hardhome but nothing like this. the HBO behind the scenes shows even featured it but no mention of the scale...in fact what they built up more was the scenes at Dorne and that turned out lame. i now think they were intentionally doing that.

And what they can do with Jon Kit when it is leaked that he is filiming next year is say...well they are filming his funeral scene at the wall and maybe a flashback or something. misdirection.

could go either way....
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Well if that's the case, who cares if they wait till next season to resurrect him? Besides, most of the casual viewers will have no idea that Jon was seen filming, so it will still be a surprise to them.
JCRiley09
AG
"He always comes back" -Sam talking to Ollie about Jon
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
The purpose of Valyrian steel weapons -- their raison d'etre -- is to kill The Others. But until the Battle of Hardhome, no one had fought an Other with one for thousands of years. Their true purpose had been lost in dimly remembered and unbelieved legend.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Please explain it to me. No one has even seen one the The Others for 8000 years, and the civilization that created Valyrian steel did not exist until 3000 years after the defeat of The Others. How can Valyrian steel have been created to combat The Others?

The Others were defeated by the First Men (a Bronze Age culture) with the aid of the Children (a Stone Age culture, from a weapons perspective).

The evidence is rather obvious, is it not? The Others were driven back, but not defeated. No one knows for sure what the Valyrians knew about the Others, yet their legendary mystical weapons destroy them. Valyrian history has been left vague in the shows, and not much better defined in the novels. I'm more than willing to cut D&D some slack on this point. It makes for a better, richer story.

If you'd like a real historical parallel, consider the history of the samurai sword. The origins of the metal folding technique perfected by Japanese swordsmiths in the 1600's are somewhat murky as well, and predate the samurai era by many years. But Japanese craftsmen get most of the credit.
rhutton125
AG
On the other hand... I think this thread is going to freak if they decide not to stab Jon at all. Or he gets stabbed but Melisandre walks in and everyone scurries and he doesn't die at all.

That'd be funny..
AgLaw
AG
A Jon resurrection in the finale would also be a nice parallel to the season 1 finale.
M.C. Swag
AG
Im pretty sure they were hevily alluding to Jon Snow's demise the past few episodes. Sam's talk with Ollie was the most telling.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Different subject: do you see Jorah getting out of the pits alive? I don't. He jumps in, bravely defends Dany, and gets killed. Goes out a hero.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
What if he wins, gets his hands on Dany and gives her greyscale? That'd be great, too, for some good schadenfreude.
M.C. Swag
AG
I could see Jorah playing the part of Prince Quentyn Martell and dies trying to "tame" Drogon to impress her. It would be a good mending of story lines.
Zeke1995
AG
quote:

If the show producers really wanted to mess with people through media leaks, they could pay Sean Bean and Mark Addy to hang around set in costume during the filming his Season 6.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
What if he wins, gets his hands on Dany and gives her greyscale? That'd be great, too, for some good schadenfreude.

What if grey scale allows you to be touched by white walkers and not die? I've always thought there might be a little bit more to the disease as far as the story is concerned.
LawAg05
AG
Best episode of the season, maybe the series. Great acting all around. No sand snakes. Giants stomping on undead. Great fight scenes. The Mereen plot is livened up by Tyrion. Arya's plot finally has some interesting movement.

Biggest question I want answered right now though is what is Ramsey going to do with 20 men? Big book deviation, but how can they link up plot points? Maybe forgo the battle of winterfell altogether with a covert ops mission. Ramsey kills Stannis. Mel burns Shireen to resurrect AA, but Jon comes back instead. While Ramsey is away, Theon/Sansa/Brienne? flee winterfell. That would wrap up the winterfell plot line for the season.

Other big plot resolutions for the last two episodes:
-Cersei trial/confession
-Walk of Shame
-For the Watch
-Meryn Trant gets proper Arya-ed
-Insurance salesman gets proper Arya-ed
-Dany opens amusement park of gladiators. Rides Drogon ride.
-Jaime/Bronn in Dorne
-Loras/Margery in the pen (maybe)
-Littlefinger?
-LSH?
-Brienne?

AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The Others are really, really strong?
MW03
AG
quote:
Predictions for the big drama to come:

Episode 8: Jon Snow kicks some white walker ass alongside Tormand to save a wildling village. They'll love him for it and agree to run south of the wall. The lack of white walkers at this point, plus the exposition of Sam giving Jon the obsidian daggers makes this pretty much a guarantee.

Episode 9: Dany gets ambushed in the pits by the Harpys; drogan saves the day and then flies off with Dany. Jorah, Tyrion, Grey Worm and Dario take over as the braintrust in Mereen. Basing this off the images from the season premiere trailer.

Episode 10: Cersei takes the perp walk through Downtown King's Landing; Theon escapes with Sansa; Brothers kill Jon Snow. Everyone loves Sansa getting free and Cersei getting her comeuppance. Maybe Arya kills Trent as well in this episode, making everyone feel great until the last scene which is Jon getting axed. Fade to black, everyone burns GRRM's house to the ground.

RyanC
AG
Has anyone figured out what the heck Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's 'teaser' with the duck was all about yet?
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
I could see Jorah playing the part of Prince Quentyn Martell and dies trying to "tame" Drogon to impress her. It would be a good mending of story lines.

Crap! Stop guessing my plot twists! More rewrites ahead....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
A Jon resurrection in the finale would also be a nice parallel to the season 1 finale.
it wasn't the finale....Ned died in episode 9. but i get your point.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:

The evidence is rather obvious, is it not? The Others were driven back, but not defeated. No one knows for sure what the Valyrians knew about the Others, yet their legendary mystical weapons destroy them. Valyrian history has been left vague in the shows, and not much better defined in the novels. I'm more than willing to cut D&D some slack on this point. It makes for a better, richer story.

If you'd like a real historical parallel, consider the history of the samurai sword. The origins of the metal folding technique perfected by Japanese swordsmiths in the 1600's are somewhat murky as well, and predate the samurai era by many years. But Japanese craftsmen get most of the credit.
I don't see it as being "obvious" at all. The Valyrian steel weapons were created with magic/spells, as the books tell us repeatedly. It makes a certain sense that they would be more versatile against a "magic" opponent (with magic weapons) than a plain old Rhoynar-descended steel sword would be.

Plus, The Other that Jon killed seemed genuinely surprised that Longclaw did not shatter. I would have expected The Others to be aware of Valyrian steel, if it had been used against them in the past.
non-consensual santa
quote:
I would have expected The Others to be aware of Valyrian steel, if it had been used against them in the past.

I believe the others were largely gone from the scene by the time the Targs arrived. Reading the books I always thought they were setting up for a point where the others look like they are about to triumph and the dragons arrive and burn their zombie hordes, while a small army of westerosi with valeyrian steel take on the others themselves.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Best episode of the season, maybe the series. Great acting all around. No sand snakes. Giants stomping on undead. Great fight scenes. The Mereen plot is livened up by Tyrion. Arya's plot finally has some interesting movement.

Biggest question I want answered right now though is what is Ramsey going to do with 20 men? Big book deviation, but how can they link up plot points? Maybe forgo the battle of winterfell altogether with a covert ops mission. Ramsey kills Stannis. Mel burns Shireen to resurrect AA, but Jon comes back instead. While Ramsey is away, Theon/Sansa/Brienne? flee winterfell. That would wrap up the winterfell plot line for the season.

Other big plot resolutions for the last two episodes:
-Cersei trial/confession
-Walk of Shame
-For the Watch
-Meryn Trant gets proper Arya-ed
-Insurance salesman gets proper Arya-ed
-Dany opens amusement park of gladiators. Rides Drogon ride.
-Jaime/Bronn in Dorne
-Loras/Margery in the pen (maybe)
-Littlefinger?
-LSH?
-Brienne?

I wonder if they will have Arya kill the insurance man the same way they did in the book. I really can't imagine they do, since it was such a subtle way that I think it would go over most TV watchers heads. Plus they didn't show him biting the coins.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Plus, The Other that Jon killed seemed genuinely surprised that Longclaw did not shatter. I would have expected The Others to be aware of Valyrian steel, if it had been used against them in the past.
A reasonable objection, but one that can be explained away easily.
(1) It's been thousands of years for the Others too. Perhaps they have their own "wives' tales" legends about magical swords that haven't been seen in millennia.
(2) Valyrian steel weapons don't glow blue or sing or otherwise betray themselves without close examination or being hit by a WW sword. Surprise that a Crow has one in Hardhome would be appropriate.
MW03
AG
quote:
quote:
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

ahhh...i thought you were referring to a Stark death parallel....and peoples wish/hope at the time that Ned was somehow spared (trickery, a double, resurrected, etc.).

gotcha.
JJxvi
AG
quote:

All that was explained in Highlander.
MW03
AG
You know, Jon the Stark dying a very Ned-ly unjust execution in Episode 9 only to be resurrected and Targaryen-ly walking out of the flames of his funeral pyre in Episode 10 would be excellent symmetry indeed...

And again, the writers hit us over the head in the Dany/Tyrion conversation with Tyrion talking to Dany about she is the only living Targaryen left in the world.
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
quote:
The purpose of Valyrian steel weapons -- their raison d'etre -- is to kill The Others. But until the Battle of Hardhome, no one had fought an Other with one for thousands of years. Their true purpose had been lost in dimly remembered and unbelieved legend.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Please explain it to me. No one has even seen one the The Others for 8000 years, and the civilization that created Valyrian steel did not exist until 3000 years after the defeat of The Others. How can Valyrian steel have been created to combat The Others?

The Others were defeated by the First Men (a Bronze Age culture) with the aid of the Children (a Stone Age culture, from a weapons perspective).

If your timeline is indeed correct, I would say they included obsidian in the metalergy mix for the steal. The first men and the children used obsidian to defeat the others (hense the stashes of obsidian weapons that are referenced in the books/show.

The valyarians having heard legends of the others and their defeat by obsidian, included it in their mix to create the perfect sword.
Quad Dog
AG
Man that was an amazing end scene that would have been great in a movie, but it happened on TV!
Harhome was so much worse in the show than in the books, how could anyone betray Jon Snow after he was proven right that amazingly at Hardhome. He even had a lot of third party witnesses. I could really see Jon Snow not being stabbed on the show now after that.

Also, if you are a show only watcher, how do you go back to caring about the rest of the plots after last night? Grantland said it better than I can:
quote:
Will it be possible to downshift back into minutiae now that we know what's coming and coming fast? All the questions that have bedeviled us for years suddenly seem downright trite. Who controls the North? Will Tommen leave his chambers? Dorne: Why? Does anyone honestly care? Even Arya's deep dive into raw bar management feels extraneous now. And yet there's no way Thrones can allow the existential tumult of "Hardhome" to trickle down into every one of its myriad plots, at least not yet. There are too many hours to fill, too many scuffles in Meereen to adjudicate. But not even Mrs. Lincoln was forced to sit through the rest of the play.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-8-recap-hardhome/
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I could really see Jon Snow not being stabbed on the show now after that.
How does that change anything? No one saw him kill the White Walker and the majority of his Brothers remain at the wall and have received no new reasons to accept the wildlings in their ranks.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Man that was an amazing end scene that would have been great in a movie, but it happened on TV!
Harhome was so much worse in the show than in the books, how could anyone betray Jon Snow after he was proven right that amazingly at Hardhome. He even had a lot of third party witnesses. I could really see Jon Snow not being stabbed on the show now after that.

Also, if you are a show only watcher, how do you go back to caring about the rest of the plots after last night? Grantland said it better than I can:
quote:
Will it be possible to downshift back into minutiae now that we know what's coming and coming fast? All the questions that have bedeviled us for years suddenly seem downright trite. Who controls the North? Will Tommen leave his chambers? Dorne: Why? Does anyone honestly care? Even Arya's deep dive into raw bar management feels extraneous now. And yet there's no way Thrones can allow the existential tumult of "Hardhome" to trickle down into every one of its myriad plots, at least not yet. There are too many hours to fill, too many scuffles in Meereen to adjudicate. But not even Mrs. Lincoln was forced to sit through the rest of the play.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-8-recap-hardhome/
just on the Jon Snow thing......did you not see the previews for the next 2 weeks after the show?

those are fair game right...warning spoilers ahead ................

looked like Alliser Thorne retakes control of Castle Black and is staring ominously at the returning nights watch guys and wildlings at the wall....i could see jon demanding a conference or soemthing as alliser refuses to let them through...and while there the nights watch loyal to alliser turn on him and stab him.

if you did not see it...and want to scroll to the bottom here:

PREVIEW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.