**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,354 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
AgLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Help me out

Season 1, book 1
Season 2, book 2
Season 3 & 4, book 3
Season 5, parts of books 4& 5?
Season 6?
I think this was intentional to get the storylines caught up to the books. I suspect we'll get Book 6 sometime between now and the start of Season 6. Even if the book is not published before Season 6, the producers have likely been in the loop on story arcs for Book 6. Season 6 will mirror those arcs they elect to adopt.

The real questions is what happens with Season 7. That will truly be virgin territory.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:
A couple of changes...

In the book, doesn't Jon force Sam to Old Town and not vice versa? Also, Jon's last word is "Ghost" in the book correct?
Others have already answered your main question, but I was wondering why they waited so long for this to happen. I realize Sam had other roles to play at the Wall this season, but doesn't it feel a little late in the game to send someone to train as a maester? Sam acted like he had plenty of time to get back before he was "really needed." What makes him think he knows the timetable of the Others?
Agree with you. I thought this was a really weak plot change.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Help me out

Season 1, book 1
Season 2, book 2
Season 3 & 4, book 3
Season 5, parts of books 4& 5?
Season 6? Profit
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

The real questions is what happens with Season 7. That will truly be virgin territory.

Is that somewhere between Bravos and Mereen?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
somone just posts this in a facebook group about ASOIAF. I'll transalte for you guys:
quote:
Here's a hint, I live in Belfast and met Kit and Rose yesterday. I asked to take a picture and he said .. He is forbidden to take pictures because the media can not know he is in Belfast. He hinted that it is because of name than happens in today's episode .. After all, what was he doing in town if Jon would not appear in the sixth season? .. Life is dark and full of spoilers guys.

Filming doesn't start till July. Probably an old picture.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
A couple of changes...

In the book, doesn't Jon force Sam to Old Town and not vice versa? Also, Jon's last word is "Ghost" in the book correct?
Others have already answered your main question, but I was wondering why they waited so long for this to happen. I realize Sam had other roles to play at the Wall this season, but doesn't it feel a little late in the game to send someone to train as a maester? Sam acted like he had plenty of time to get back before he was "really needed." What makes him think he knows the timetable of the Others?
Agree with you. I thought this was a really weak plot change.

I agree. It would have made way more sense if in his conversation with Jon he expressed the importance of going to see if they had any sort of knowledge about the WW.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sam gets to go where the weather is warm, there's a huge library, the Others are years behind him, and he's got a girl to keep him warm at night.

Samwell Tarly, despite the fact that I know you're going to meet your father next year, you have won today's Internet.
MW03
AG
quote:
Sam gets to go where the weather is warm, there's a huge library, the Others are years behind him, and he's got a girl to keep him warm at night.

Samwell Tarly, despite the fact that I know you're going to meet your father next year, you have won today's Internet.
"I'm glad to see the end of the world is working out well for someone."

- Passive Aggressive Jon Snow
Agustus Caesar
AG
quote:
Least favorite episode of the season. Just terrible. I dont know why I thought Cersei had to shave her head (was it that way in the books)?

I feel robbed.
are you kidding?
that episode was "terrible" and the evidence you offer is the fact you can't remember if Cersei had to shave her head?

BTW, yes, she did. she was shaved everywhere in the books.
AgLaw
AG
I thought the walk of shame was done perfectly. They didn't stray at all from the book, even down to her bloody feet.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
we've just had the best 4 episode run of the series...never has so much happened in that kind of span.

some good prelude episodes too:
Sons of the Harpy - Barristan killed in Harpy attack
Kill the Boy - Tyrion and Jorah see the dragon and then the stone men attack
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Jorah and Tyrion captured by slavers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These 4 episodes ended the season:

The Gift -
Tyrion and Jorah sold to meereen slave owner, meet Dany at the pits, Jorah gives her Tyrion
and then Cersei arrested

Hardhome -
goes without saying, most incredible battle of the series, WW and others
plus you had Tyrion and Dany meeting and talking, epic

The Dance of Dragons -
Ramsay sabotages Stannis, Shirreen sacrificed, ugh
Dany, Jorah, Daario and Tyrion in the fighting pits + DROGON

Mothers Mercy -
Selsye kills herself and Melisandre flees, Stannis army slaughtered and he dies at the hands of Brienne
Arya exacts revenge, then blinded
Theon and Sansa kill Myranda, then escape
Myrcella killed in revenge by Ellia
Dany wandering and then surrounded by dothraki
Cersei confesses and hopes for light punishemnt, then the walk of shame and Mountain revived
Jon killed by the nights watch (apparently)

How is that not epic? I loved it.
KidDoc
AG
I was impressed they finished up the Stannis arc with a battle and everything. I thought it would end with him marching still towards Winterfall.

Overall great ending. I really enjoyed the interactions of Dany with Drogon. It was well animated and played out. I think the Dothraki will revere her for riding a dragon, likely something in their primitive religion about dragon riders being leaders or something.

Nice to see Tyrion and the Spider together in Mereen. Maybe that will make us care about what happens in that armpit of a city.

King's landing is going to be a mess next season-- ripe for the picking by Dany or Dorne.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agustus Caesar
AG
quote:
I was impressed they finished up the Stannis arc with a battle and everything. I thought it would end with him marching still towards Winterfall.

Overall great ending. I really enjoyed the interactions of Dany with Drogon. It was well animated and played out. I think the Dothraki will revere her for riding a dragon, likely something in their primitive religion about dragon riders being leaders or something.

Nice to see Tyrion and the Spider together in Mereen. Maybe that will make us care about what happens in that armpit of a city.

King's landing is going to be a mess next season-- ripe for the picking by Dany or Dorne.
my money's on Dorne - and Cersei demands LF deliver the Vale Armies to help destroy Dorne since the Bolton's were triumphant and Sansa is missing.
aggie93
AG
Trystane is going to KL though and is effectively a hostage. Dorne isn't attacking KL with the heir to Dorne there.

Dany is still a long way from even starting toward Westeros.

LF is probably in the strongest position with the Vale for a short term move.

It's all just fodder though for keeping the chair warm for this guy though:

AggieHank86
AG
quote:
It's all just fodder though for keeping the chair warm for this guy though:

Does he WANT a "warm chair?" Might melt his tuchus.

Forgive the Yiddish spelling of "tookus." If TexAgs did not censor every conceivable word for the posterior ....
mid90
AG
A Facebook comment from someone swearing off GOT after Jon got stabbed.

quote:

Season 5 gathered in April, and my watch began.
It did not end 'til the season finale.
I embraced no woman, mowed no land, and entertained no children
I worked no jobs and made no money
I lived at my TV on Sunday nights.
I am the witness in the darkness.
I am the watcher on the couch.
I pledged my life and honor to this seasons watch, for this night and all Sunday nights before it. For the night is dark and full of terrors.
And now my watch is done....
AustinAg2K
quote:

How is that not epic? I loved it.
Just because a lot of people died, doesn't make it epic. I wasn't a fan of last night's episode, because in my opinion, they just tried to cram as many deaths in there as possible. Stannis's death seemed forced to me. I don't think they did the Battle for Winterfell justice. If they save that until next season, then you could have had a proper battle and Brienne killing Stannis could have been a little more climatic. Save all of that until next season, and you could put more into Sansa's escape or done more build up to Arya killing Trant.

The killing of Myrcella seemed unnecessary, and short sited. I felt like the writers thought they were being clever, but as soon as Ellaria kissed Myrcella I think every viewer knew she was dead. Now Ellaria should be dead, too, since her Doran will have to kill her.

I think there was probably a good twenty minutes of unnecessary story lines last night that could have been cut (or moved to a previous week) to put more emphasis on plot and building suspense. It was just jumping from one death to the next, not building up any suspense for any of them, and by the time you got around to Jon Snow I felt like it was a bit anti-climatic.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
I don't think they did the Battle for Winterfell justice.
A group of tired, cold, hungry soldiers, whose leader just burned his kid, whose religious leader had abandoned them, half of whose comrades had deserted, and had no horse, walk out of the woods to try and stage a futile siege. Before they have time to unlace for a piss, a great, armored horse company rides them down.

What else would you have liked to see? Every bit of it made total sense given Stannis's unwillingness to waiver and the fact that the Bolton faction was fresh.
AustinAg2K
Best comment I've read is someone who said the whole purpose of the GOT story is to setup the White Walkers being the good guys.
AustinAg2K
quote:
quote:
A group of tired, cold, hungry soldiers, whose leader just burned his kid, half their comrades had deserted, and had no horse, walk out of the woods to try and stage a futile siege. Before they have time to unlace for a piss, a great, armored horse company rides them down.

What else would you have liked to see? Every bit of it made total sense given Stannis's unwillingness to waiver and the fact that the Bolton faction was fresh.
Stannis is supposed to be the best military mind in Westeros. I would have like to see him come up with something besides walking up to the wall and saying, "Ok, kill me now."

The show chose to have Stannis burn his kid, which seemed out of character, have half their comrades leave (which even a bad leader would expect if you burned your own kid alive in front of them), and take the horses. It seems like the writers were just tired of writing the Stannis story line, so they said, "Ok, lets just end this as fast as possible."
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I'm shocked that anyone would think Stannis is still alive in the show. Brienne ditched Sansa (so much for that Oathkeeping) to get revenge. She's said before she'd kill him. She told him she was going to kill him. She lifts the sword and (IIRC) we hear the swing. Just because someone doesn't die on-screen doesn't mean they don't die. It'd be a complete 180 for her to suddenly spare him. Besides, he's bleeding out anyway. And if the Bolton's catch him they'll flay him alive.

I suppose it's a possibility... but it's a pretty stupid one. It'd be a Marvel Comics level of plot armor (where no one ever truly dies, except Uncle Ben).
My bet:

Stannis is still alive, especially with that cutaway at the last moment.

What will happen is that we will get back to Sansa/Theon, who stumble upon the scene while fleeing WInterfell.

Brianne will miss her swing, and the group will have a discussion about fleeing to Castle Black.

They will take Stannis with them. As Stannis is dying, his last sacrifice will be his blood so the Red Woman can use it to resurrect Jon.
AustinAg2K
quote:
Trystane is going to KL though and is effectively a hostage. Dorne isn't attacking KL with the heir to Dorne there.

Dorne may not be attacking KL, but KL will certainly be declaring war on Dorne. Cersei isn't gong to sit back and let Dorne kill her only daughter, and now Dorne has no hostage to prevent war. There really isn't any reason for Trystane to stay alive either. They've already shown he isn't a big enough deterrent to prevent someone from Dorne killing a Lannister.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm hopeful that's LF who finds Sansa/Reek, and then calls on the rest of the Northmen saying, "I've found Sansa Stark AND the man who betrayed Bran and Rickon!" Come watch me execute him and then we will rally around Sansa Stark and take back Winterfell from those treacherous Boltons! Baelish! Baelish, I mean, Stark, Stark! The Queen in the North!
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm shocked that anyone would think Stannis is still alive in the show. Brienne ditched Sansa (so much for that Oathkeeping) to get revenge. She's said before she'd kill him. She told him she was going to kill him. She lifts the sword and (IIRC) we hear the swing. Just because someone doesn't die on-screen doesn't mean they don't die. It'd be a complete 180 for her to suddenly spare him. Besides, he's bleeding out anyway. And if the Bolton's catch him they'll flay him alive.

I suppose it's a possibility... but it's a pretty stupid one. It'd be a Marvel Comics level of plot armor (where no one ever truly dies, except Uncle Ben).
My bet:

Stannis is still alive, especially with that cutaway at the last moment.

What will happen is that we will get back to Sansa/Theon, who stumble upon the scene while fleeing WInterfell.

Brianne will miss her swing, and the group will have a discussion about fleeing to Castle Black.

They will take Stannis with them. As Stannis is dying, his last sacrifice will be his blood so the Red Woman can use it to resurrect Jon.

That would be awesome!
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
quote:
A group of tired, cold, hungry soldiers, whose leader just burned his kid, whose religious leader had abandoned them, half of whose comrades had deserted, and had no horse, walk out of the woods to try and stage a futile siege. Before they have time to unlace for a piss, a great, armored horse company rides them down.

so the net gain of killing his daughter was melting the ice, which didn't help at all with desertions.

Remind me how were Stannis and Melisandre able to create the vag ghost in season 2 to kill Renly and why couldn't they do it again to kill Roose Bolton? In season 2 it was the same scenario for stannis as his brother had the superior army.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:

so the net gain of killing his daughter was melting the ice, which didn't help at all with desertions.

Remind me how were Stannis and Melisandre able to create the vag ghost in season 2 to kill Renly and why couldn't they do it again to kill Roose Bolton? In season 2 it was the same scenario for stannis as his brother had the superior army.
Because one was a sex sacrifice and the other was a burning sacrifice? Apparently that can only be done once otherwise Stannis would be nailing the Red Woman constantly for a shadow baby army.

Unless Red Woman and the daughter could have sex, do not think that was an option.
Clavell
AG
Agree, don't think Stannis is dead. Never trust that someone is dead unless see the hit and maybe not even then, helps if head is separated from body.

A change from book, although story line has always been a minor one compared to the other "kings".
tamusc
AG
quote:
Agree, don't think Stannis is dead. Never trust that someone is dead unless see the hit and maybe not even then, helps if head is separated from body.

A change from book, although story line has always been a minor one compared to the other "kings".
Honestly, I thought this way until the Ned Stark execution in the first season. They didn't actually show his head getting chopped off, but instead showed basically what you saw with Stannis.

Unfortunately, I was reading the books a the same time of the first season and hadn't made it that far into the first book yet. I thought there was no way that Martin would kill off a character that was so clearly going to be a central figure throughout the story so early in said story.

Boy was I wrong, lol.
AustinAg2K
For the so called best military mind in Westeros, Stannis kind of sucked as a General. He could only beat Renly with blood magic, lost to Tywin Lannister, beat a wildling army with no real military training, and lost to a couple hundred Boltons.
rhutton125
AG
Yeah they kinda botched the Winterfell invasion I think.

"Give us your wildlings!" "No." "Oh okay."
"20 men burned our siege equipment!" "Dang."
"Half our forces mutinied!" "Dang."

(At this point, what's going to happen with a small army and no siege equipment attacking walls?)

"The Boltons are approaching!" "Let's walk at them"
Post removed:
by user
G Martin 87
AG
Lost to a few thousand Bolton heavy cavalry, organized in a formation designed for encirclement. Stannis had a few hundred disorganized, exhausted, demoralized knights and infantrymen on foot. No military genius could win that fight.
ja86
AG
quote:
Lost to a few thousand Bolton heavy cavalry, organized in a formation designed for encirclement. Stannis had a few hundred disorganized, exhausted, demoralized knights and infantrymen on foot. No military genius could win that fight.

at least use the forest to make a bunch of pikes and form a sheltron and make the heavy horse work at killing you instead of running willy nilly around till someone split your head....

agmatt06
AG
Stannis knew he'd lost the second Mel took off for the wall.

Because of who he is, he took his fate head on instead of running.

If anything this shows that for as good a commander as he was, he fell victim to following Mel vs. doing what he thought was right.
CapCityAg89
AG
So as compared to the books:

Jon - same point - "dying"
Cercei- same point - post WOS with Strong awaiting trial
Dany- similar - found by Dothraki, but we know they're friends in the book.
Tyrion - ahead of the books in Mereen
Stannis - way ahead and dead (I think Brienne hated him too much) ... Interesting to see if WoW circles back to essentially this point. In other words: was the show actually a book spoiler?!
Jamie - just so different (book he's with Brienne somewhere and show he's on a slow boat from Dorne)
Mel - circled back to book in that she's with dying Jon at Castle Black.
Sam - close to same point on his way to Old Town.
Bran - same but in books its hinted he's watching Winterfell/Theon - back season 6?
Arya- I'm going to say show is behind. Although it will be interesting to see how much training they short-cycle next season.
Littlefinger- call it the same - kindof lurking

Any others?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.