**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,374 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty cool. Kept thinking Jon's sword would fall into the fire and he'd pick it up and it would be burning or something.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Great episode. Tormund just wailing on Rattleshirt was great. Wun Wun! My only real dislikes were the white walkers in armor and the wights moving like zombies from the World War Z movie.

Streetfighter 02
AG
Ollie is for sure going to stab Jon.
bangobango
AG
quote:

Yeah. I think when Sam said that sometimes you have to do something everyone else thinks is wrong but you know is right, he made up his mind on killing Jon.
HoustonAg05
AG
That was definitely my favorite episode yet. Hardhomme was awesome, but Tyrion / Dani was a payout we have been long overdue.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
just rewatching and a subtle little line that i caught at first...but was the overshadowed by everything else and i forgot about it....

Tyrion is talking to Dany about the good she has done opening the fighting pits and marrying someone she loathes for the common good, and then he mentions his sister Cersei marrying someone she loathed although not for the common good...and then says she later had him killed. Dany replies something like "well perhaps it won't come to that".

a bit of foreshadowing i think there about Hizdhar zo Loraq.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
That was absolutely amazing. With all the money that had to go into this episode, now I understand why it looked like the the sand snakes fought like they had been trained by Terry Schiavo.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
That was absolutely amazing. With all the money that had to go into this episode, now I understand why it looked like the the sand snakes fought like they had been trained by Terry Schiavo.
WTF
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Too much?
AustinAg2K
quote:
That was one of the best episodes of all episodes.

Why?

Because for once the book readers and the non book readers had no idea what was to happen. We all experienced it for the first time.

And it was awesome.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great episode, but most people knew what was going to happen. Go back and read this thread. Lots of predictions of Jon killing a White Walker at Hardhomme, and Tyrion becoming Danny's adviser. Great episode, but there were really no twists. Just confirmation of things we had already figured out.
marble rye
AG
Can someone clarify the Valyrian Steel calling the Others comment?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Can someone clarify the Valyrian Steel calling the Others comment?

I'm assuming he meant kill.
redline248
AG
It was probably a typo for "killing," at least that's what I figured he meant.

I love how Jon lost his sword twice in that fight.

The only thing I didn't like is the wights used to slow, meandering bums that could win by not ever going down and eventually overwhelming the humans...but now they are fast zombies that fight like trained warriors.

Otherwise, great episode. I'm glad Dolorous Ed didn't die.
marble rye
AG
Ah, I see. I thought someone had gathered that the presence of Valyrian steel brought them out of hiding.

I read somewhere that Dragonglass/obsidian will turn them to ice water and it is unknown if Dragonsteel/ Valyrian Steel will defeat them. Guess now we know. That was so so awesome.

So Jon Snow, Brienne, the dagger that Little Finger has, and Tommen have the only Valyrian Steel in the kingdom?
khaos288
AG
200 in westeros

link to wiki
marble rye
AG
quote:
List of known Valyrian steel blades

Blades known to still exist:
Heartsbane, the ancestral two-handed greatsword of House Tarly, currently in the possession of Lord Randyll Tarly.
Lady Forlorn, the ancestral sword of House Corbray, currently in the possession of Ser Lyn Corbray.
Longclaw, the ancestral Valyrian steel ******* sword of House Mormont. Currently in the possession of Jon Snow.
Nightfall, the ancestral blade of House Harlaw and currently wielded by Ser Harras Harlaw.
Oathkeeper, one of two Valyrian blades reforged by Tobho Mott from Ice. The blade was made for Ser Jaime Lannister, but he has given it to Brienne of Tarth for use in her quest to locate Sansa Stark. The blade was given its name, Oathkeeper, at that time.
Red Rain, the sword of House Drumm, which was stolen by them in a raid. Given the name and coloring, possibly the ancestral sword of House Reyne.
Widow's Wail, one of two Valyrian blades reforged by Tobho Mott from Ice. Following Joffrey Baratheon's death, ownership of Widow's Wail has presumably passed to his younger brother, Tommen.
The dagger with dragonbone hilt wielded by Bran Stark's failed assassin, and currently in the possession of Petyr Baelish.
Valyrian steel arakh owned by Caggo.
Valyrian steel axe reputedly possessed by House Celtigar.

Blades with known fates:
Ice, the ancestral two-handed greatsword of House Stark. Following Eddard Stark's execution in King's Landing, it is reforged into two longswords (Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper).

Blades with unknown fates:
Blackfyre, the sword of Aegon I Targaryen. Carried by all Targaryen kings until Aegon IV, who gave it to his ******* Daemon, who rose in rebellion against the Targaryens, taking the sword's name for his house. Its whereabouts are currently unknown.
Brightroar, the ancestral sword of House Lannister, lost when King Tommen II Lannister of the Rock sailed to Valyria and never returned.
Dark Sister, the sword wielded by Visenya Targaryen. Its last known owner was Bryden "Bloodraven" Rivers.
Lamentation, the ancestral sword of House Royce, lost in the Storming of the Dragonpit.
Orphan-Maker, the ancestral sword of House Roxton. Its last known owner was Ser Jon Roxton.
Truth, a Valyrian steel sword last carried by Moredo Rogare of Lys.
Vigilance, the ancestral sword of House Hightower. Its last known owner was Lord Ormund Hightower.

Other objects
A small number of maesters, including Maester Luwin and Archmaester Marwyn, have Valyrian steel links in their collars, representing their study of magic and occultism. Marwyn also has a ring, a rod and a mask of Valyrian steel.
Dragonbinder - a dragon horn banded with red gold and Valyrian steel.
The crown worn by Aegon I Targaryen (and a few other kings), embedded with rubies.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
The only Valyrian steel swords mentioned in the show, but there could be a Tyrell sword or other powerful house with one in their possession for many generations.
redline248
AG
Was Joffrey buried/entombed with his? I'm actually surprised Stannis doesn't have one...surely the Baratheons, as a shoot of Targaryens, would have at least one.
khaos288
AG
quote:
Was Joffrey buried/entombed with his? I'm actually surprised Stannis doesn't have one...surely the Baratheons, as a shoot of Targaryens, would have at least one.
Stannis fake lightbringer may be valyrian
MW03
AG
Another vote for best episode of the series.
  • Jon battling his balls off at Hardhomme
  • Dany + Tyrion falling in love. Not really, but that was an awesome scene
  • Arya finally doing something, anything
  • Cersei getting the business
  • Theon Reek finally telling Sansa her brothers are alive
The Debt
quote:
The only Valyrian steel swords mentioned in the show, but there could be a Tyrell sword or other powerful house with one in their possession for many generations.

Some lesser houses still have valyrian swords. I would assume there are less than 2 dozen known valyrians in westeros.

At least this episodes confirms the a
Valyrian swords are deadly to wws, also could be interpreted as a sword of fire imo
hunter2012
AG
The Jon Snow incident will be amplified by tonight's episode. Talk about a gut wrench for the ages in the making.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Ah, I see. I thought someone had gathered that the presence of Valyrian steel brought them out of hiding.

I read somewhere that Dragonglass/obsidian will turn them to ice water and it is unknown if Dragonsteel/ Valyrian Steel will defeat them. Guess now we know. That was so so awesome.

So Jon Snow, Brienne, the dagger that Little Finger has, and Tommen have the only Valyrian Steel in the kingdom?
This whole Valyrian steel versus The Others thing makes no sense to me.

Sam found only one historical reference To Dragonsteel" killing The Others, and it was a reference to events in the Age of Heroes ... 8000 years in the past.

The Valyrian Freehold did not come into existence until some 3000 years later, and it was the artisans of the Freehold who developed Valyrian steel.
G Martin 87
AG
The purpose of Valyrian steel weapons -- their raison d'etre -- is to kill The Others. But until the Battle of Hardhome, no one had fought an Other with one for thousands of years. Their true purpose had been lost in dimly remembered and unbelieved legend.

Makes perfect sense to me.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Over shadowed by all of this was Qyburns comment about Kevan being recalled by Pycelle and the king and is now serving as Hand. Guess we might see Varys' return after all.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The purpose of Valyrian steel weapons -- their raison d'etre -- is to kill The Others. But until the Battle of Hardhome, no one had fought an Other with one for thousands of years. Their true purpose had been lost in dimly remembered and unbelieved legend.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Please explain it to me. No one has even seen one the The Others for 8000 years, and the civilization that created Valyrian steel did not exist until 3000 years after the defeat of The Others. How can Valyrian steel have been created to combat The Others?

The Others were defeated by the First Men (a Bronze Age culture) with the aid of the Children (a Stone Age culture, from a weapons perspective).

AustinAg2K
Folk lore says that Dragonglass was made by dragon fire. No one knows how Valyrian Steel was made anymore, but folk lore also says it was made from dragon fire. My guess is that both of those folk lore tales are true, and that's why they can defeat White Walkers.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Folk lore says that Dragonglass was made by dragon fire. No one knows how Valyrian Steel was made anymore, but folk lore also says it was made from dragon fire. My guess is that both of those folk lore tales are true, and that's why they can defeat White Walkers.
So, the theory is that wild dragons (pre-dating the Freehold) breathed fire on natural iron deposits, creating "natural dragon steel" which laid in the ground until the early Valyriam shepherds learned to work this pre-existing steel into weapons, presumably using magic made available to the by their domesticated dragons?

That is quite a theory.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When the call goes out through the 7 Kingdoms that any man with a Valyrian steel blade must come to the Wall to fight the Army of the Dead, I'm guessing a lot of guys are going to suddenly be bequeathing their swords on their favorite relatives.

My favorite moment that got lost in the shuffle is when Jon and the lead Thenn saw the White Walker in the building, and the Thenn, despite clearly hating Jon Snow with every fiber of his being immediately tells him to go get the dragon glass and goes straight at the White Walker, surely knowing he will be dead in a matter of seconds.

Ditto on Ed and also Tormund surviving. That made me happy. And I kept yelling for Wun Wun to go back and step on the White Walker just to see what would happen. No luck.
rhutton125
AG
I bet we don't see a lot of Valyrian Steel in the show. The books might have dozens, but in the show we know of 4 - Longclaw, Oathkeeper, Widow's Wail and the assassins dagger we haven't seen since season 1. It would be pretty cheap to have tons of them come out of the woodwork.

We'll probably see a few more, but not quite the point where every prominent family has one
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
It was probably a typo for "killing," at least that's what I figured he meant.

I love how Jon lost his sword twice in that fight.

The only thing I didn't like is the wights used to slow, meandering bums that could win by not ever going down and eventually overwhelming the humans...but now they are fast zombies that fight like trained warriors.

Otherwise, great episode. I'm glad Dolorous Ed didn't die.
It was a typo. Apparently my phone has been taken over by the PC police or something.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah. I think when Sam said that sometimes you have to do something everyone else thinks is wrong but you know is right, he made up his mind on killing Jon.
Same here. People are going to lose their minds when the man who just survived a battle with the dead and killed an Other gets taken down by Ollie.
agmatt06
AG
If Jon is to be reborn though, how does Ollie being the one to kill him support that? Or does it not really matter how he dies, just that he dies?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

doesn't matter how he dies...at least as far as we know.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Re: jon snow

yeah i was just reading a bunch of random #GOT tweets...lots of people saying they were so worried Jon was going to die there and they were gonna be sooooo upset....lol.....they are really gonna be upset when he does (if they just end it there).

which by the way i've come full circle on....i believe they will end it there, with him stabbed and dying, maybe with smoke coming from his wounds.....that may be the only bit of hope (and confusion) they let viewers have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.