**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,328 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
A redditor visited Cushing to review original manuscripts of the final book.

Exhibit: http://cushing.library.tamu.edu/exhibits/deeperthanswords/
straight-up kills the Coldhands=Benjen theory
bbattbq01
AG
Conspiracy theorists will say grrm is saying no to why she thought bran didn't recognize him.
mid90
AG
I'm currently doing a chronological, simultaneous read-through of AFFC & ADWD. I forgot how awful Cersei's chapters are. I hope she gets axed quickly in TWOW purely so I never have to enter that crazy's head ever again.

Good grief.
mid90
AG
I'd rather read Stannis the Mannis POV chapters.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'm currently doing a chronological, simultaneous read-through of AFFC & ADWD. I forgot how awful Cersei's chapters are. I hope she gets axed quickly in TWOW purely so I never have to enter that crazy's head ever again.

Good grief.
Cersei bangs another chick somewhere in those chapters. You disappoint me, ser.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Well, the trailer is up so can we start speculating on what's happening this season?

Season 5 Trailer

I got chills seeing Arya in front of those black and white doors...
AggieSouth06
quote:
Well, the trailer is up so can we start speculating on what's happening this season?

Season 5 Trailer

I got chills seeing Arya in front of those black and white doors...

Seems that Jon leads the battle in Hardhome. I mean, they had to give the guy something to do other than mope around and patronize people like he did in ADWD.

Is that Mance getting roasted?

Aegon is clearly out. Seemed like a weird red herring anyway. Also like that Varys is there for a portion of Tyrion's journey through Essos.

Jonah ends up in the fighting pits, but this was kinda leaked already.
Al Bula
AG
Very interested to see how much of Illyrio is rolled into Varys. It seems like it will be quite a lot. I can't find any casting news on the internet suggesting Roger Allam, or someone else, is cast as Illyrio Mopatis. There is news about a place in Croatia which is being used for "Illyrio's manse" but that could easily be the working name.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Really hope they show Janos Slynt defying Jon and Jon taking off his head once he's Lord Commander. Love that scene, and the way Jon gets the little nod from Stannis when it's done.
AggieSouth06
quote:
Really hope they show Janos Slynt defying Jon and Jon taking off his head once he's Lord Commander. Love that scene, and the way Jon gets the little nod from Stannis when it's done.

They have to, right? That's a defining scene and the show went out of its way to make Janos even less likable than the books.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
quote:

They have to, right? That's a defining scene and the show went out of its way to make Janos even less likable than the books.
Yeah, I imagine that will be one of the favorite scenes of this upcoming season.

Along with probably every scene involving Arya (for me anyway).
The Dog Lord
AG
*****Potential Spoilers for all concerning a supposed leak of the "original" outline for ASOIAF*****

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/02/jon-snow-arya-4eva-9-key-differences-in-george-r-r-martins-original-outline-for-game-of-thrones/

Anyone believe this could be legit? Think any of this still rings true in any way?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Read that this morning extremely skeptically, then saw the actual document and didn't know what to think.

The book described is so far from the one we know now that it's hard to imagine the writing process changing things so much from that outline. That said, when I read the details in the article's text (and if they hadn't attached the photos) I thought it sounded like total bull**** made up for a quick uproxx article. I'm still not so sure that's not what it is.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Read that this morning extremely skeptically, then saw the actual document and didn't know what to think.

The book described is so far from the one we know now that it's hard to imagine the writing process changing things so much from that outline. That said, when I read the details in the article's text (and if they hadn't attached the photos) I thought it sounded like total bull**** made up for a quick uproxx article. I'm still not so sure that's not what it is.

Yeah I'm waiting to see if anyone makes a statement about it. If it's real, I feel like it's still a dick move to publish that info since it could possibly spoil certain general things (who survives, ultimate battles, etc.). I missed where it said HOW they got this document. Did anyone else see that explained?
Saxsoon
AG
The original manuscript is at Cushing
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Agreed. I can imagine people being upset about the reveal of the "5 Central Characters," but I think most people would deduce that Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Arya, and Bran are the safest characters from death in the long haul.
Saxsoon
AG
Jon and Tyrion I can see why (especially with Jon at the end of the last book, even if he pulls it out and doe some crazy shenanigans) they could be dead before the endgame. Dany can still die, but it won't be until the endgame. Arya and Bran seem the safest which is weird as their story has literally the most separation from anything of import in the story.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
MW03
AG
GRRM: Characters will die in Season 5 that do not die in the books

quote:
Don't get too attached to your favorite "Game of Thrones" characters. The biggest surprise at the Writers Guild West Awards last night was the appearance of George R.R. Martin, whose best selling epic fantasy novels, "Song of Ice and Fire" are the basis for HBO's mega hit, "Game Of Thrones" He doesn't come to LA much and was treated like royalty at the event.

Martin has a warning about the upcoming season. "People are going to die who don't die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy. So everybody better be on their toes. David and D.B. (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss co-creators of 'Game Of Thrones) are even bloodier than I am."

This guy...
wangus12
AG
Such a dick move
LawAg05
AG
Good. Maybe the show just doesn't want to clutter the story with unnecessary plot lines that lead nowhere.
bigbass1170
AG
Finally got caught up on the books so that I'll know who dies, and now maybe not. Thanks GRRM.
wangus12
AG
Season 4 is now out on Blu-Ray/DVD for those that haven't watched it and don't have HBO
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Season 4 is now out on Blu-Ray/DVD for those that haven't watched it and don't have HBO
Wife had a printout of the cover in my Valentine's Day card. She just emailed me that it shipped, so I'll have it in a couple of days!
hunter2012
AG
I am really starting to believe that the white walkers win, who will be alive to even fight them?
redline248
AG
Well, there are still 3 dragons...for now.
hunter2012
AG
The dragons not making it to Westeros would be the the biggest screw you to the fans ever...
AggieSouth06
quote:
GRRM: Characters will die in Season 5 that do not die in the books

quote:
Don't get too attached to your favorite "Game of Thrones" characters. The biggest surprise at the Writers Guild West Awards last night was the appearance of George R.R. Martin, whose best selling epic fantasy novels, "Song of Ice and Fire" are the basis for HBO's mega hit, "Game Of Thrones" He doesn't come to LA much and was treated like royalty at the event.

Martin has a warning about the upcoming season. "People are going to die who don't die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy. So everybody better be on their toes. David and D.B. (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss co-creators of 'Game Of Thrones) are even bloodier than I am."

This guy...

Despite the click baiting attempts I've seen by articles posting this quote next to pics of Tyrion and Arya, he's talking about minor characters. Trystane as a replacement for Quentyn, Myrcella dying in the "queenmaker" plot, members of the NW dying at Hardhome... The most major characters that could go would he Bronn (taking the Arys Oakheart death) or Barristan (he's not long for this world anyway).
Saxsoon
AG
I could see Bronn if they want to really get an emotional punch. Much more likable in the show than he was in the books
wangus12
AG
I'm rewatching Season 1. Forgot how much I hate Pycelle and the **** that is Cersei. God I hope Martin finishes the job in the next 2 books. I need them all to die.
mid90
AG
you know pycelle is dead, right?
wangus12
AG
I do. I meant in general. Martin has spent 5 books ****ing nearly all my favorite characters. I want the last 2 books to be my vengeance.
Saxsoon
AG
I really want to see this series just end up ****ty for everyone. Jon dies, Dany dies, Tyrion dies, Sansa and Arya dies.

And left standing . . . zombie Tywin and his manservant Hodor.
redline248
AG
Aren't you a ray of sunshine
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
I am really starting to believe that the white walkers win, who will be alive to even fight them?

A Dream of Spring

Cercei

Page 1

She broke her fast on boiled brown eggs and stale bread. The kitchens of the Red Keep had gone nearly bare since all supplies and provisions had been cut off weeks ago. Realizing this may be her last appetizing meal, maybe her last meal, the dishonored queen at it slowly, savoring each bite, and washed it down with a flagon of sweet Arbor red.

Jamie. All of her thoughts were with Jamie these days. The fool. The fool lost in the Riverlands, in search of the Maid of Tarth if the reports could be trusted. But the Riverlands were lost and soon, King's Landing as well. How did it come to this? The Wall shattered as if it were made of thin paper and not 700' of ancient ice. The Northmen barely slowed their march. All hopes had been laid at the siege of the Twins. The combined forces of Houses Frey, Manderly, Arryn, Tyrell, and Tarly were formidable. But even with the Ironborn and Dragon Queen, her Unsullied, and her pets, it was not enough. On the third night the Others broke through. What defenders remained fled for the Vale or the Iron Islands. The bloody Dornish were said to be evacuating to Essos. Not a single raven returned from Sunspear to answer Tommen's calls for help.

Cercei dressed in a modest green robe and began to brush out her golden hair. It was hard for her to admit to herself that it was more grey than gold as of late. But finally having enough hair to brush was a small victory in itself. A sudden chill fell upon her as if all of the heat from her brazier had been extinguished at once. In the blink of an eye they were there, at her window, at her door, with eyes a blue brighter than any sea or sky. The air went still, so suffocating she could not draw breath, and her body so numb and cold she did not even feel the frozen sword pierce her heart. She thought of Jamie. And then Tyrion. Somewhere, Tyrion, was laughing.

Epilogue

To my readers, friends, critics, and commentators, here and across the world: I told you I'd finish the f***ing books.

GRRM

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
The combined forces of Houses Frey, Manderly, Aaron, Tyrell, and Tarly

House Aaron? Are their words "We Do Not Bunt"?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.