**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,259 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So as compared to the books:

Jon - same point - "dying"
Cercei- same point - post WOS with Strong awaiting trial
Dany- similar - found by Dothraki, but we know they're friends in the book.
Tyrion - ahead of the books in Mereen
Stannis - way ahead and dead (I think Brienne hated him too much) ... Interesting to see if WoW circles back to essentially this point. In other words: was the show actually a book spoiler?!
Jamie - just so different (book he's with Brienne somewhere and show he's on a slow boat from Dorne)
Mel - circled back to book in that she's with dying Jon at Castle Black.
Sam - close to same point on his way to Old Town.
Bran - same but in books its hinted he's watching Winterfell/Theon - back season 6?
Arya- I'm going to say show is behind. Although it will be interesting to see how much training they short-cycle next season.
Littlefinger- call it the same - kindof lurking

Any others?
Davos - completely different. Show hanging out at the wall, books looking for Rickon at Skagos.
Margaery Tyrell - different path, but about the same place, she was released in the books.
Iron Islands - who knows where they are at in show, but in the books all kinds of stuff happened.
Post removed:
by user
Agustus Caesar
AG
Melisandre stated in season 3 that Stannis' king's blood was too weak to create another magic baby, hence the Gendry plot.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
So as compared to the books:

Jon - same point - "dying"
Cercei- same point - post WOS with Strong awaiting trial
Tyrion - ahead of the books in Mereen
Stannis - way ahead and dead (I think Brienne hated him too much) ... Interesting to see if WoW circles back to essentially this point. In other words: was the show actually a book spoiler?!
Jamie - just so different (book he's with Brienne somewhere and show he's on a slow boat from Dorne)
Mel - circled back to book in that she's with dying Jon at Castle Black.
Sam - close to same point on his way to Old Town.
Bran - same but in books its hinted he's watching Winterfell/Theon - back season 6?
Arya- I'm going to say show is behind. Although it will be interesting to see how much training they short-cycle next season.
Littlefinger- call it the same - kindof lurking

Any others?
Davos - completely different. Show hanging out at the wall, books looking for Rickon at Skagos.
Margaery Tyrell - different path, but about the same place, she was released in the books.

I would say Margaery's path is way different. I don't know how she is getting out of jail without her own walk of shame (score!). In the books she had done nothing wrong, she was just accused of being unfaithful. In the show she was caught lying.

Also Loras is either dead or barely alive in the books from trying to attack Dragonstone.
ja86
AG
Varys in Meereen instead of causing havoc in KL.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

The Dothraki are definitely not her friends, this khal was one of the ones that left her with zombie drogo. If they see her ride drogon they might be impressed otherwise she's in big trouble.
Agustus Caesar
AG
she will need to defeat or marry their Khal.
The only way she can defeat the khal is if drogon/jorah/daario find her in time.
Book wise, they will either marry/kill/send her back to Vaes Dothrak with the dosh khaleen
Show wise, they will either marry or submit. There's no dosh khaleen in the show and Dany has already had her resurrection. She won't die for good until the series finale, imo.
MW03
AG
If Stannis is not a king, then did Shireen really have King's blood? Gendry was Robert's son, so there you go. Shireen is Robert's niece. A few more genealogical branches to traverse there, considering that Robert and Stannis' father was never king.
redline248
AG
quote:
Dany- similar - found by Dothraki, but we know they're friends in the book
As stated by another poster, they ain't her friend in the books. In fact, in the books isn't it her that finds them while flying on Drogon?
MW03
AG
So does Arya start having her wolf dreams finally now that she's blind, or is Bran going to be the only warging Stark on the show?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So many questions and observations running through my head, most of them stupid, that I have after last night.

1) Who speaks at Jon Snow's funeral/burning? Random NW Guy? "I liked Jon Snow all right, that's why I wanted to be the fourth guy to stab him, because he was already going to die at that point, and I didn't want to feel bad."

2) What does the NW even do now? They've got the army of the dead and the WW coming towards the Wall and the wildings that they hate south of the wall. Do they start trying to build another wall to the south to keep the Wildings from coming back and killing them?

3) Does Olly get some votes for next Lord Commander? I mean he's the one that got Jon Snow outside for the traitor rally.

4) Who all is on the boat where Myrcella did? Bronn, Jamie, Trystane, and maybe 3 sailors? Gonna be some uncomfortable silences at the dinner table on the way back to KL.

5) Now that Cersei is back inside the Red Keep, how could they possibly ever get her to stand trial? No way the Lannister guards/City Watch would kowtow to High Septy and Friends.

6) Reek and Sansa, on foot, probably injured, in the snow, right outside of Winterfell. I say Ramsay finds them within 15 minutes.

7) In both show and book I'm really curious to see who the Faith's champion will be vs. Robert Strong in Cersei's eventual trial. I keep thinking back to the Mad King telling Rickard Stark that fire was House Targareyn's champion and expecting something equally tricky.

8) If they ever make an Emmy category for "Really creepy guy", Qyburn wins it going away. Next to him, Varys looks like affable next door neighbor material.

9) Unless Drogon is the heaviest sleeper in the universe, I have to believe he heard the 40,000 horses running around, considering he was tracking down sheep left and right from a distance two years ago.

10) Hey Grey Worm, you're inside, put a damn shirt on.

11) Congrats to Grand Maester Pycelle on getting his beard back to Santa Claus length. Next stop, James Harden.

12) I really like show Arya more than book Arya. Show Arya is channeling all that rage over the injustice to her family into some dark actions and really enjoying it.

13) When Sam & Jon were talking about Longclaw killing the WW and how many Valyrian steel swords are around, I wanted Sam to say "Apparently 7 million based on how many people have one."
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm shocked that anyone would think Stannis is still alive in the show. Brienne ditched Sansa (so much for that Oathkeeping) to get revenge. She's said before she'd kill him. She told him she was going to kill him. She lifts the sword and (IIRC) we hear the swing. Just because someone doesn't die on-screen doesn't mean they don't die. It'd be a complete 180 for her to suddenly spare him. Besides, he's bleeding out anyway. And if the Bolton's catch him they'll flay him alive.

I suppose it's a possibility... but it's a pretty stupid one. It'd be a Marvel Comics level of plot armor (where no one ever truly dies, except Uncle Ben).
My bet:

Stannis is still alive, especially with that cutaway at the last moment.

What will happen is that we will get back to Sansa/Theon, who stumble upon the scene while fleeing WInterfell.

Brianne will miss her swing, and the group will have a discussion about fleeing to Castle Black.

They will take Stannis with them. As Stannis is dying, his last sacrifice will be his blood so the Red Woman can use it to resurrect Jon.
If anyone thinks Brienne did not kill Stannis, then either you do not understand her character at all or GRRM made his worst mistake of the series.

There is no logical or even fanciful way in which the character Brienne would let Stannis live. Talk about jumping the shark.
Post removed:
by user
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
So many questions and observations running through my head, most of them stupid, that I have after last night.

1) Who speaks at Jon Snow's funeral/burning? Random NW Guy? "I liked Jon Snow all right, that's why I wanted to be the fourth guy to stab him, because he was already going to die at that point, and I didn't want to feel bad."

I'm betting on Alliser..it'll be brief though.

quote:
2) What does the NW even do now? They've got the army of the dead and the WW coming towards the Wall and the wildings that they hate south of the wall. Do they start trying to build another wall to the south to keep the Wildings from coming back and killing them?

they don't even know that. i don't think any that went to Hardhome are around or nobody believes them.

quote:
3) Does Olly get some votes for next Lord Commander? I mean he's the one that got Jon Snow outside for the traitor rally.

don't care. he's dead either by wildlings, jon or ww's.

quote:
4) Who all is on the boat where Myrcella did? Bronn, Jamie, Trystane, and maybe 3 sailors? Gonna be some uncomfortable silences at the dinner table on the way back to KL.

yep. trystane will be a hostage basically. i guess ellia didn;t care. more pertinent question...when does doran find out and what does he do about it.

quote:
5) Now that Cersei is back inside the Red Keep, how could they possibly ever get her to stand trial? No way the Lannister guards/City Watch would kowtow to High Septy and Friends.

faith militant are still in charge.

quote:
6) Reek and Sansa, on foot, probably injured, in the snow, right outside of Winterfell. I say Ramsay finds them within 15 minutes.

We don't know where Pod is...maybe Brienne took off but Pod sawthe singal and was heading there...saw them jump and went to get them.

quote:
7) In both show and book I'm really curious to see who the Faith's champion will be vs. Robert Strong in Cersei's eventual trial. I keep thinking back to the Mad King telling Rickard Stark that fire was House Targareyn's champion and expecting something equally tricky.

I don't think those kind of trials allows a champion, thats for crimes against the crown itself and the kings justice.

quote:
8) If they ever make an Emmy category for "Really creepy guy", Qyburn wins it going away. Next to him, Varys looks like affable next door neighbor material.

he's a very good actor.

quote:
9) Unless Drogon is the heaviest sleeper in the universe, I have to believe he heard the 40,000 horses running around, considering he was tracking down sheep left and right from a distance two years ago.

yes or the other dragons get set free....or jorah and daario track them down and get her out somehow.

quote:

i'm secure enough in my manhood that he can go shirtless.....not like he is a threat to steal anyones woman.

quote:
11) Congrats to Grand Maester Pycelle on getting his beard back to Santa Claus length. Next stop, James Harden.

thing of beauty

quote:
12) I really like show Arya more than book Arya. Show Arya is channeling all that rage over the injustice to her family into some dark actions and really enjoying it.

ditto

quote:
13) When Sam & Jon were talking about Longclaw killing the WW and how many Valyrian steel swords are around, I wanted Sam to say "Apparently 7 million based on how many people have one."

funny...but they needed to dispel with that idea as a solution.
Urban Ag
AG
Maybe the writers decided that after all the eye gouging, throat slitting, head splattering, and feces flinging, they would just let Stannis die off screen. He's had a pretty sh***y day so far anyway.
Ol Jock 99
AG
All I know if if I even find myself on the wrong side of a medieval battle, I'm laying down and playing dead. No running, crawling, or moaning. Just laying there.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
Dany- similar - found by Dothraki, but we know they're friends in the book
As stated by another poster, they ain't her friend in the books. In fact, in the books isn't it her that finds them while flying on Drogon?
Pretty much. I believe she sees an outrider and knows that the khalsar has to be close. They then come upon her standing by Drogon, which is a much safer position than how show Dany met them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm betting on Alliser..it'll be brief though.

quote:

they don't even know that. i don't think any that went to Hardhome are around or nobody believes them.

quote:
don't care. he's dead either by wildlings, jon or ww's.

quote:

yep. trystane will be a hostage basically. i guess ellia didn;t care. more pertinent question...when does doran find out and what does he do about it.

quote:

faith militant are still in charge.

quote:
We don't know where Pod is...maybe Brienne took off but Pod sawthe singal and was heading there...saw them jump and went to get them.

quote:

I don't think those kind of trials allows a champion, thats for crimes against the crown itself and the kings justice.

quote:

he's a very good actor.

quote:

yes or the other dragons get set free....or jorah and daario track them down and get her out somehow.

quote:
i'm secure enough in my manhood that he can go shirtless.....not like he is a threat to steal anyones woman.

quote:

thing of beauty

quote:

ditto

quote:
funny...but they needed to dispel with that idea as a solution.
Thanks for draining the life out of my funny post, Buzz Killington!
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Yeah they kinda botched the Winterfell invasion I think.

"Give us your wildlings!" "No." "Oh okay."
"20 men burned our siege equipment!" "Dang."
"Half our forces mutinied!" "Dang."

(At this point, what's going to happen with a small army and no siege equipment attacking walls?)

"The Boltons are approaching!" "Let's walk at them"
take it back a couple steps. Why did Stannis choose to go North? What did he expect would happen? Did he expect the Northern houses to better resist the Boltons and flock to his banner? Did he really expect to create a wildling army? What a complete disaster.

If he had just bided his time in Dragonstone wouldn't he have had a decent shot at retaking KIngs landing after Tywin died?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NoRagrets!!!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

(At this point, what's going to happen with a small army and no siege equipment attacking walls?)

take it back a couple steps. Why did Stannis choose to go North? What did he expect would happen? Did he expect the Northern houses to better resist the Boltons and flock to his banner? Did he really expect to create a wildling army? What a complete disaster.

If he had just bided his time in Dragonstone wouldn't he have had a decent shot at retaking KIngs landing after Tywin died?
because they needed a big battle scene at the wall for the end of season 4. duh!
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:

If anyone thinks Brienne did not kill Stannis, then either you do not understand her character at all or GRRM made his worst mistake of the series.

There is no logical or even fanciful way in which the character Brienne would let Stannis live. Talk about jumping the shark.
Are you serious?

You do realize nothing in this scene (Brienne/Stannis in the woods) is from the books. This has not happened and there is no indication that it will happen. Pro hint: Stannis is still alive in the books, has not attacked Winterfell. Brienne is off captured by a Zombie Stark.

GRRM had nothing to do with this. And I fully understand the characters. You, however, do not understand the difference between book and show.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Pro hint: Stannis is still alive in the books, has not attacked Winterfell.
This isn't known for sure. The pink letter could well have been true.
rhutton125
AG
Or he could die in chapter 2
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

You do realize nothing in this scene (Brienne/Stannis in the woods) is from the books. This has not happened and there is no indication that it will happen. Pro hint: Stannis is still alive in the books, has not attacked Winterfell. Brienne is off captured by a Zombie Stark.

GRRM had nothing to do with this. And I fully understand the characters. You, however, do not understand the difference between book and show.
pro tip: don't get worked up when someone points out your idiotic posts.

yes, the books and the show are different. yes, for all we know Stannis is alive in the books. however, in both the book and the show, Brienne owes her life to Renly. She makes it well known multiple times throughout. She knows Stannis is responsible.

There is nothing about her character in either the show or the books that would suggest she would let Stannis live.

Doing that is just plane bad writing in every way.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

Davos Seaworth taught him that his thinking was all wrong. Stannis thought he had to win the throne to save the kingdom. Davos convinced him he had to save the kingdom to win the throne. The most imminent threat to the kingdom was the wildings descending on the wall. Plus Melisandre kept saying your true enemy was north, and stannis believed he was the one chosen to fight the real evil - the WW.

He thought the notherners would be more open to the guy who saved them from the wildings, and that Jon Snow would become Jon Stark and be a compliant Warden of the North once the Boltons had been routed out of Winterfell.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

yes, the books and the show are different. yes, for all we know Stannis is alive in the books. however, in both the book and the show, Brienne owes her life to Renly. She makes it well known multiple times throughout. She knows Stannis is responsible.

There is nothing about her character in either the show or the books that would suggest she would let Stannis live.

Stannis is alive; they have already released chapters with him in them. Unless Melisandre is doing a glamour again.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you serious?

Stab is alive they have already released chapters with him in them. Unless Melisandre is doing a glamour again.
that part doesn't matter. What matters is understanding that given the chance Brienne absolutely would kill Stannis 100% of the time. it does not matter that we didn't "witness" it.
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
that part doesn't matter. What matters is understanding that given the chance Brienne absolutely would kill Stannis 100% of the time. it does not matter that we didn't "witness" it.

I agree, but I also don't think Brienne would abandon her watch of Sansa to take Stannis out.
G Martin 87
AG
Hat tip to James Hibberd (EW GOT recaps)

Arya Stark = O'ren Ishii
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm shocked that anyone would think Stannis is still alive in the show. Brienne ditched Sansa (so much for that Oathkeeping) to get revenge. She's said before she'd kill him. She told him she was going to kill him. She lifts the sword and (IIRC) we hear the swing. Just because someone doesn't die on-screen doesn't mean they don't die. It'd be a complete 180 for her to suddenly spare him. Besides, he's bleeding out anyway. And if the Bolton's catch him they'll flay him alive.

I suppose it's a possibility... but it's a pretty stupid one. It'd be a Marvel Comics level of plot armor (where no one ever truly dies, except Uncle Ben).
My bet:

Stannis is still alive, especially with that cutaway at the last moment.

What will happen is that we will get back to Sansa/Theon, who stumble upon the scene while fleeing WInterfell.

Brianne will miss her swing, and the group will have a discussion about fleeing to Castle Black.

They will take Stannis with them. As Stannis is dying, his last sacrifice will be his blood so the Red Woman can use it to resurrect Jon.

I absolutely think she intends to kill Stannis, but we didn't see the killer blow...so we don't know for sure.

For all we know, somebody stepped in and stopped/deflected her blade. There's too many people that we know are near Winterfell to say for certain that he's dead.

I won't be surprised either way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Hat tip to James Hibberd (EW GOT recaps)

Arya Stark = O'ren Ishii
Made that observation last week.

Also, shouldn't you be writing?
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Davos Seaworth taught him that his thinking was all wrong. Stannis thought he had to win the throne to save the kingdom. Davos convinced him he had to save the kingdom to win the throne. The most imminent threat to the kingdom was the wildings descending on the wall. Plus Melisandre kept saying your true enemy was north, and stannis believed he was the one chosen to fight the real evil - the WW.

He thought the notherners would be more open to the guy who saved them from the wildings, and that Jon Snow would become Jon Stark and be a compliant Warden of the North once the Boltons had been routed out of Winterfell.
ok. So it was a major miscalculation that the North would give a **** that he saved them from the wildling invasion. Also give the Boltons credit for swiftly taking over and consolidating power. Even if Jon Snow agrees to abandon the Night's Watch and accept the Stark name is it a given that they are able to take Winterfell? I don't think so. Would have been a much better fight though.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
For all we know, somebody stepped in and stopped/deflected her blade.

No offense... but that's an even worse theory than Benjen = Daario. If someone manages to sneak up on Brienne (and the audience, since we saw all but the last moment) in a silent, white field and deflect a sword, then she's automatically the worst knight in the seven kingdoms.

They could do a switcheroo, sure. But I still think it'd be totally out of character. I've seen a similar argument with a certain character in a certain recent Marvel movie, and I don't buy it there either. You have all the reasons in the world, you see the lead-up, and when the camera tastefully cuts away so that (in this case) we don't see a major character get his head split, suddenly there are a billion theories as to how someone might have gotten away and what role they could play in future seasons/movies.

Think about it: Brienne has mentioned before that she wants to kill Stannis for revenge. She leaves her post (that she's kept for about 5 episodes) to seek that revenge. She confirms that he used black magic to kill Renly (which, up to this point, very few have believed except her).

"In the name of Renly of House Baratheon, first of his name, rightful king of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and protector of the Realm, I, Brienne of Tarth, sentence you to die. Do you have any last words?"
"Go on, do your duty"
(swings and hits a tree)

It just seems absurd to me. If Stannis is alive (who I really liked in the books), I'll be disappointed because of what a silly twist it was.

Here's the scene, for anyone who is interested. Brienne kills Stannis

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.