**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,368 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woah.

Hope Sansa gets some balls next episode. Very surprising.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexAgBolter
AG
Eff that. Between the lame sand snakes fight and the wtf ending, I'm done with the plot changes. I trusted them previously but that was awful. Just when you show Sansa as being a strong character you do that.
agmatt06
AG
Uh...Not at all what I expected to go down.

Makes very little sense.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
I was afraid that was going to be the "controversial moment" for Sansa. Really don't know where they go from here with her character.

It does seem as though Baelish's plan is to mobilize the Vale's army in the north without arising suspicion.

redline248
AG
That was complete bs to do that to Sansa. I hate Ramsay more than ever now, she didn't deserve that.
bigbass1170
AG
Ugh
Greeze06
AG
I'll say it again. The show is dropping the ball big time. It's so sporadic and spaced out that it isn't flowing well at all.
OnlyForNow
AG
So Sansa got raped? By Ramsey? after or before their wedding?
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I was afraid that was going to be the "controversial moment" for Sansa. Really don't know where they go from here with her character.

It does seem as though Baelish's plan is to mobilize the Vale's army in the north without arising suspicion.
I hope that was the controversial moment. Really don't want another sex torture scene with Ramsey, Sansa and Theon
BigTimeAlum
AG
Yeah, that was pretty bad. They are screwing up Aria's story without the wolf dreams as well.
combat wombat™
AG
Sansa didn't exactly get raped. She never fought But she had NO choice in the matter. No alternative.
The Dog Lord
AG
Just had a disgusting realization: the episode was titled "Unbowed, unbent, unbroken" yet featured very little House Martell. I hope that wasn't a sick joke on their part.

Besides the horrible Sansa scene, it was overall okay. Littlefinger's plans are intriguing as always. Seeing further into the Faceless Men temple was awesome (and seeing Arya get her assed kick while playing the lying game).

As others have mentioned though, they are having to combine/cut a lot of story and aren't doing a very good job. Jamie and all of Dorne just sucks. You could say Dorne had three storylines in the books: Doran w/ Arianne, Quentyn's quest, and Myrcella being there. They've basically cut the more interesting two that discuss ties to the Targ's and all of Doran's long con plans. I'm hoping that this little fight will move us away from the sand snakes and more toward Doran, but I still can't see Dorne being as interesting as in the books.
codenameduchess
AG
quote:
Sansa didn't exactly get raped. She never fought But she had NO choice in the matter. No alternative.
Um ok...
aggie93
AG
I am really upset about the change with Sansa. I was hanging in there with the story change until now, just don't know how they get it back. I'll still watch the show and everything but this really changes how I view it. They did spare us the Theon "preparing her" scene but I honestly thought right up until the end that Ramsay would get hit over the head and Theon and Sansa would escape. Now that marriage is consummated and Sansa could be pregnant. It just really shifts the story.

The KL storyline is pretty dull and predictable. I don't buy that LF shows up in KL and Cersei doesn't know about Sansa. I don't buy that LF doesn't know about Jaime not being in KL. I also think the story change of making Tommen older is hurting the story. Before it made sense with Tommen being young and not doing anything to protect Margary since he wasn't of age and the storyline was that she betrayed him. But now he is of full power and is clearly infatuated with his new bride and yet he won't lift a finger for her? It's weak.

Arya's storyline is doing ok but they really could benefit from the wolfdreams, it's moving awfully slowly.

They have made Dorne uninteresting and predictable. It's like a caricature that doesn't fit.

The highlight was Jorah and Tyrion. That actually had some good acting and made sense while advancing the storyline.
Post removed:
by user
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
Um ok...
And guys wonder why women get so hung up on the whole "Rape Culture" issue
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Arya wolf dreams aren't even a minor point. Jon's yes; her's no. Just shows that most/all Starks can do it.

I am fine with adding Sansa to the Winterfell storyline. Of course Ramsey was nasty. Ramsey is nasty. Sansa is still a kid playing a dangerous game. Doesn't mean she can't learn.
mid90
AG
quote:
I'll say it again. The show is dropping the ball big time. It's so sporadic and spaced out that it isn't flowing well at all.
mid90
AG
This season has easily been the weakest/worst of the series so far.

Forget what plots they've changed from the book. The way they are telling the story just doesn't flow at all, and it's nearly completely uninteresting.

Jorah and Tyrion has been great, and Arya's reveal of the room of faces tonight was great too. But everything else has been super meh.

Also really hard to watch Sansa get raped by Ramsay. Just when you think she's taking control of her terrible situation when she shows a spine against Ramsay's girl who's giving her a bath, her wedding night happens. I get why it's necessary for the story, but if they're going to have that in the series, couldn't they have just had Theon about to walk out, Ramsay say "oh no, you're going to watch Reek", and then Theon/Reek closes the door, with the camera staying outside the room?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't think they needed to actually show it happening.
Southlake
They could have shown it a lot worse than they did. Remember Theon banging the ship captain's daughter? So, now we have Sansa with more reason to revenge Ramsay. It's TV, it's a crapshoot now. We don't know what's gonna happen any more than the schmucks on the other thread...
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
I've been bored the last few episodes. Even with the "exciting" parts with the unsullied/harpies. I was really hoping for some big sand snake action in this one. Also, I really have been just bored during the show. My wife and I snap at each other if we get on our phones during the show. "Respect the Game," is our little joke. We both have been scrolling through our phones during some of the episodes. I agree with the flow just not quite working.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Call me in the minorit,y but I thought was the best episode of the season, really liked the Arya/faces reveal even though I knew it was coming; really liked Cersei's play on Loras/Margarey/Oleanna, knowing what we know about what's coming for Cersei when Lancel goes holier than thou in the near future.

Thought Littlefinger/Cersei was grea t- shows how easily he can manipulate the likes of her - no matter who wins in the Bolton/Bartheon battle to come, he wins by having the knights of the Vale crush them, thus securing himself as Warden of the North and taking control of Winterfell, the Eyrie, and Harrenhahl. Ramsay gets dead, he marries Sansa, she unites the north, and Littlefinger can legitimately challenge for the Iron Throne in open conflict, or just declare him and his rulers of the North.

I agree the Sansa part was unpleasant, but a lot better than it could have been, and honestly, why aren't we talking about Alfie Allen's fantastic acting? His internal struggle and pain were amazing.

Jorah/Tyrion - two great actors doing amazing jobs together with nothing more than some gorgeous scenery and reacting to each other's words. Tyrion's lines about the size of his Littlefinger to the pirates were great.

However, the Sand Snakes, what a catastrophe. I do not believe for a single second that any of that trio fo actresses trained more than 15 minutes with their weapons of choice. Why they wouldn't give more than 1-2 scenes in the first 5 episodes to Doran / Trystane / Myrcella, I have no clue. Even Bronn couldn't save those parts of the episode.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Sand snakes still have a ton of potential. Remember, at this point in the books, they were under house arrest anyway.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So, in a show/series, where several of the "main" characters have died and nothing goes right: Ned Stark gets his head chopped off, there is a red wedding, Jeoffrey is made king, just as you start to understand/like Sandor Clegane he gets killed; Arya slowly but surely gets darker and darker, Barriston the bold dies, Catelyn Stark is killed, Lord Commander Mormont is killed by his own men, etc, etc, etc... you are surprised when things don't go "as you thought they might" for Sansa?

If this show/series has taught us anything, it's that: a) no one is safe from the realities of "life"; b) there is no good or evil characters - just alot of floating around in the gray; c) no one wins, ever.

Note: I am not happy about Sansa getting abused; but it is a reasonable sequence of events given the climate and history of events throughout the show.
Bigsteve713
AG
So Deanarys' marriage started out in a similar way and she turned out alright. I'm not condoning the scene but just pointing out parallels
SeattleAgJr
quote:
So Deanarys' marriage started out in a similar way and she turned out alright. I'm not condoning the scene but just pointing out parallels
You mean... husband kills brother... husband kills.. oh
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Meh, the Sansa heading to Winterfell to be wed to Ramsay made the most sense for the TV show. Seeing as how Ramsay is a psycho, what happened tonight was completely inevitable, and I would've been disappointed in the writers if something like this didn't happen, as it would be completely out of character for Ramsay, otherwise. Seems like they did a good enough job of keeping everything off screen. It definitely was still rough to watch, but this is far from anything that would make me completely give up on the show. Sansa is no longer a little girl in the show and Sophie Turner is 19 years old.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The highlight was Jorah and Tyrion. That actually had some good acting and made sense while advancing the storyline.
I like the way they used the "sales pitch" to the slavers as a plot device to provide more Jorah backstory.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Meh, I'm glad the sand snakes are caught...

I like the Captain with the Axe (forgot name)

The Sansa part wasn't too bad, it was unfortunate but they were married and consummating, and like others said, What was Sansa supposed to do? Die or live to kill him later... It sucks that's the way it went down, it it fits GoT and Ramsays profile...
aggie93
AG
quote:
Meh, the Sansa heading to Winterfell to be wed to Ramsay made the most sense for the TV show. Seeing as how Ramsay is a psycho, what happened tonight was completely inevitable, and I would've been disappointed in the writers if something like this didn't happen, as it would be completely out of character for Ramsay, otherwise. Seems like they did a good enough job of keeping everything off screen. It definitely was still rough to watch, but this is far from anything that would make me completely give up on the show. Sansa is no longer a little girl in the show and Sophie Turner is 19 years old.
My issue is less about the rape per se as it is the story. I understand why LF wanted Sansa to go to Winterfell I suppose so he could get Cersei's backing to be Warden of the North (though what does he really need that for with the Lannisters half a step from war with the Tyrells and incredibly weak overall). I still have no understanding though of why Sansa would want to marry Ramsay, other than to make LF happy. Sansa's virginity/ability to marry was an incredibly valuable chess piece in the Game and I don't get why they gave her to Ramsay. That only makes the Bolton's stronger and if Ramsay isn't killed then Sansa is stuck married to a psycho who is the son of the man who betrayed her family and killed her brother and mother. The people of the North that are pledged to the Starks will now have to follow the Bolton's unless Ramsay dies and there is no controlling the Boltons. It's just sloppy.

This is very different than Dany getting raped in the first episode by Drogo (which was a departure from the books that made no sense either btw) because at least then you had a naive and weak Dany that became strong and grew up. Here you have Sansa that has already been weak and naive and has gotten strong and is showing she can play the game and suddenly she is made to look weak and be humiliated by her own choosing for .... what? What does she gain? She could have hung out in The Vale with LF and waited for the Bolton's and Stannis to fight it out and come in with the Knights of the Vale and cleaned up, then choosing to marry with another House that would turn strengthen her position. Just to add to the sloppiness we have to assume that Sweetrobin who is older and stronger in the show and has been promised to Sansa will be ok with Sansa marrying Ramsay. LF isn't even with him to control him right now unlike the books. I would say that the "show Robin" would be just as likely to let LF "fly" as he would to allow him to go to war in the North either for or against who he will perceive as Sansa.

Having Sansa raped though was a bad choice for the casual viewer as well. My wife is a show watcher and she was disgusted last night and her interest in GOT is at an all time low. They played out the "Ramsay is a psycho" storyline with the Theon torture and no one is interested in watching Sansa become the new Reek and made to look weak and helpless all over again after she finally was becoming strong.

I don't mind changes to the books, I just want them to be smart and make sense in the larger story. The way they have made some of these changes though work against the larger plot that they have set up. It's costing them too. The ratings for the first time are down. People just aren't as interested in the show whether they are readers or watchers. D&D have made some bad decisions on plot changes and it is costing them. Changes had to happen but they are losing viewers and may lose a lot more after another episode of little action and what they are doing with another protagonist.
Southlake
Theon is still standing behind a somewhat vulnerable Ramsay; the scene is not over yet...
Bigsteve713
AG
Don't be a ***** Tommen, I would have the Kings guard cut down any mother ****ers that tried to take Margaery from me
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
quote:
Um ok...
She "willingly" married him; she may be a virgin but she knows what happens on a wedding night. She also knows (or suspects) that Ramsey is a sick individual. She did "take this man". Saying no would likely have resulted in her death, but she made a choice. She's playing the game Littlefinger is teaching her, and it's not a great game.
Saxsoon
AG
You can rape your wife
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
Lets not turn this thread into an argument of social issues. There are other boards for that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.