**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,223 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I do think it's a little interesting that the change with the Quentyn Martell story going away is that Dany basically burns an "innocent" man alive just like dear old dad. As where big dumb Quentyn tried to tame a dragon and got roasted for his trouble, Dany basically fed that dude the dragons to scare people. How very Aerys II of her.

Incidentally, aside from Selmy dying like crap and that being a bummer, what the hell is GRRM/HBO going to do now that we know they are going forward with the Dany/Hizdar marriage? There's no Strong Belwas to stop her from eating the locusts, and now there's no Selmy to capture Hizdar when he turns into a giant P about killing Dany's dragons??

Assuming Jorah gets back to Dany and she takes him back (who knows) he could take on anything Selmy would have done including taking Hizdar prisoner....with Selmy gone and who knows about Grey Worm it would seem she is in need of some council and defense more than just Daario.

and like i said before, Belwas could still be introduced with the re-opening of the fighting pits and could be added to her guard before the poisoning incident. or could be welcomed into the queens box as champion and still be the one to partake of the locusts.
I think this is very plausible assuming they go through with it at all. As others have said, she has a need for a new protector with Selmy gone, so it also makes sense with the story for her to try and recruit someone new.
JonSnow
I liked the scene the dragon scene. I think that when Tyrion finally makes his way to Mereen, he will be tossed in as well. But instead the dragons will embrace him. Just a thought.
redline248
AG
What a spoiler that would be.
MW03
AG
I agree that the locusts in and of themselves don't matter, but Hizdar trying to kill Dany and stopping the Harpies (who attack again when he's imprisoned) seems pretty important to her story line. I mean, Hizdar hasn't even offered to stop the Harpies as part of his marriage proposal.

Maybe (hopefully) this is just GRRM getting Dany out of Mereen quicker.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Look, we've all seen the preview where Danerys and the Unsullied are surrounded in the arena by the Sons of the Harpy (the scene where Tyrion has been digitally removed). Jorah and Daario are both there, no Strong Belwas. How about the idea that Dany intentionally goes to the opening with her new "husband" to draw out the sons of the Harpy and get all of its soldiers in one place, then calls all THREE of the dragons down on them?

EDIT: ANd note that her husband doesn't appear in the inner circle, so perhaps he's one of the Harpies.

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
i think they are setting up Dany's 3rd betrayal. "One for Blood, One of Money and One for Love". Assuming Jorah's betrayal was the one for money, it seems possible that Daario will be quite upset that she just "all of the sudden" decided to marry Hizdahr....
Greeze06
AG
Who's the chick next to Dany?
redline248
AG
In the show, or books? Daario in the books never loved her, and in the show they've done next to nothing to build that sexual affair.
AggieSouth06
quote:
Look, we've all seen the preview where Danerys and the Unsullied are surrounded in the arena by the Sons of the Harpy (the scene where Tyrion has been digitally removed). Jorah and Daario are both there, no Strong Belwas. How about the idea that Dany intentionally goes to the opening with her new "husband" to draw out the sons of the Harpy and get all of its soldiers in one place, then calls all THREE of the dragons down on them?

EDIT: ANd note that her husband doesn't appear in the inner circle, so perhaps he's one of the Harpies.

Man, I love the idea that Dany is setting up the marriage/re-opening of the pits as a trap to draw out the Sons and set the dragons on them (the reveal being that she has regained "control" of them). It would reestablish her as the badass that the show desperately needs her to be (she's popular guys), and fix her characterization issues from book 5.

Again, I can't stress how much I think books 4 & 5 are weak from a story perspective and I think the show is doing its best to "fix" it. It works way more often than not.
redline248
AG
I wish that idea hadn't entered my head b/c it's going to really suck when it's not a trap set by her.

In terms of the book, can anyone provide a refresher on what the situation was in the city after Dany left? Who is running things?
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Isn't Barristan commanding her army in her absence in the books?
MW03
AG
quote:
Ostensibly.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Big word bonus!

j/k
redline248
AG
quote:
I couldn't remember, which is why I asked.

Obviously, if she flys away on Drogon in the show, who will take this responsibility? Daario, Jorah or Tyrion?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I wish that idea hadn't entered my head b/c it's going to really suck when it's not a trap set by her.

In terms of the book, can anyone provide a refresher on what the situation was in the city after Dany left? Who is running things?
Her husband and the Shavepate, who has the Brazen Beasts at his command. Dario is a hostage for one of the families in the exchange they did, and Barristan is sort of put to the side, but decides to stage a coup with the Shavepate and Grey Worm. He goes to talk to the king, doesn't really get any definitive answers, and kills one of the gladiator-type body guards, who has clearly never fought a guy in armor before.

Just when he thinks it's gone smoothly, someone comes up and reveals that the Dornish moron has released the other 2 dragons. The part in the city ends there, and we go back to Dany and Drogon.
redline248
AG
The Dornish moron is now my favorite description of Quentyn Martell!
rhutton125
AG
The Shavepate. What a forgettable character
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
I was chatting with a buddy on differences with Dany's story between the book and show yesterday. I said one the biggest were many fewer secondary characters.
quote:
And 90% of those dozen ignored characters had names like Azekee Ariloipze Uptardiestan. So you had to find to cheat sheet keep them all straight.
While having some more sellswords would be fun, less is more.
aggie93
AG
It's very chaotic in the books. You have the bloody flux going on during a siege and Barristan has just arrested Hizdahr and is pretty much in control. Daario is a hostage of the Yunkai and there is a battle raging outside and there are some folks from Astapor and Pyatt Pree from . Tyrion is a slave outside the city. Victarion's fleet is closing in on Mereen for a surprise attack. Essentially it is setting up for a monster battle.
rhutton125
AG
Pyatt Pree, that's another one I'd forgotten. I had trouble separating Yunkai from Mereen, aside from "where is Dany now." If there's an army that rises up against Dany on the show, they'll have to use some exposition to remind people what happened in Yunkai. Also, that may not happen until after Dany is gone, if it happens at all. Like "well Dany is gone, now the former slave masters are rebelling in full."
MW03
AG
quote:
quote:
I was chatting with a buddy on differences with Dany's story between the book and show yesterday. I said one the biggest were many fewer secondary characters.
quote:
And 90% of those dozen ignored characters had names like Azekee Ariloipze Uptardiestan. So you had to find to cheat sheet keep them all straight.
While having some more sellswords would be fun, less is more.

Funniest bit I've heard on that tip from the show is people calling him Hizdahr zo Kravitz.

aggie93
AG
I also hated all the sellswords and minor characters in Essos. At least in Westeros everyone fell under a House or one of the 7 Kingdoms for the most part so they were much easier to connect. In Essos it is damn near impossible to keep it all straight and I am pretty damn obsessive about the books. The names also make it harder, there is no pattern to them at all.
Urban Ag
AG
The only thing I am really disappointed with so far is that I won't get see who is cast as Arianne Martel, The Wildling Princess, or Lady Merryweather. At least it appears that's the case.
Urban Ag
AG
Kinda wanted to see the Dusky Lady too, and Little Griff's septa that likes to skinny dip.
AGeng25
AG
On a side note, I'm ready for Olenna Tyrell to return. Margaery went to get her to take care of Cersei and the Sparrows, right? Olenna is one of my favorite characters for some reason. Maybe it's because she always seemed a step ahead of everyone -- from going back and forth with Varys to plotting with Littlefinger to kill Joffrey (and pointedly telling Margaery as much in a badass way). She gets it. I hope she comes back and helps cause Cersei's downfall.
Southlake
Ha, do you really think Hizdar is going to really wind up marrying Dany? Do you really think Ramsay is going to marry Sansa?? Me thinks a double reverse red wedding is lurking. They are totally going to TV land on us.
mid90
AG
quote:
Ha, do you really think Hizdar is going to really wind up marrying Dany? Do you really think Ramsay is going to marry Sansa?? Me thinks a double reverse red wedding is lurking. They are totally going to TV land on us.

To quote Ramsay: "If you think this story has a happy ending, then you haven't been [watching]".
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
all i know is the non readers are going to be on the edge of their seats - 2 weddings and we all know how well weddings have gone before......

i guess we really don't know which way they will go either - they could change anything.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I think Sansa and Theon escaping would be a good storyline.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
yeah but not nearly as good as gutting Ramsay on the way out the door first....

like make Reek do the weird wedding night business in the books only for Sansa (instead of fake Arya)....and that flips a switch for Reek and he goes insane and tears a naked Ramsay to pieces for Sansa and the Starks.....

AggieSouth06
quote:

Has the potential to be really cool with Stannis converging on Winterfell (possibly Yara too), Brienne waiting outside the gates, and Sansa creating a coup inside.

We'll see how they handle it. I really don't know if I can take Sansa getting tortured...
hunter2012
AG
quote:

Sansa is playing the game now, I don't think she wants rescuing at this point, she wants revenge. Count me in for a Red Winterfell Wedding. I could also see her killing the Boltons during Stannis' siege. They do imply that she has the full commoner support.

I'm surprised the Red Woman isn't staying at the wall, hard to resurrect Jon if she's on the warpath...
The Debt
LF quipped that she has learned from the best. Hopefully that means she has others doing her killing for her.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I liked the scene the dragon scene. I think that when Tyrion finally makes his way to Mereen, he will be tossed in as well. But instead the dragons will embrace him. Just a thought.
One thing I am SO glad they cut is the woman dwarf that rides the dog and gets Tyrion to ride the pig... I really hated that storyline.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.