**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,236 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
so all these crazy rumors will fester and persist for far longer than they should exactly as the showrunners intend for them to.
aggie93
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think they had Stannis burn Shireen in the show because they needed a better and more satisfying reason for his failure besides Melisandre misreading the signs. They needed a fatal mistake or flaw for him to earn his fate and keep another 'good guy' from being taken out by the bad guys, especially the Boltons. No one was shedding a tear. It was a tragic buildup. Stannis knew he was screwed. Mel looked like she **** herself when she realized half the army wasn't cool with her burning a child, and Stannis' dead eyed stare, knowing he is beat but marching forward anyway was a cool/hard way for a proud warrior to go.

Lastly, all I could think about during the Brienne/Stannis scene was Brienne saying, "I, Brienne of Tarth, sentence you to die with this sword, Oathkeeperrrrr oh ****! I knew there was something else I was supposed to do today." Have she ever kept an oath? Renly? Dead. Cat? Dead. Kingslayer? Had to save her to get back to Kings Landing. Stark girls? Let Arya get away, follows Sansa and bails the moment she finally has an opportunity to help for personal revenge. In terms of character sins and flaws, this could be the choice that costs Brienne her life down the road, especially if they really do bring in Stoneheart next season.

I think next season is the season of Bolton/Frey revenge. Direwolf dreams, Stonehearts, meat pies, and more. Maybe some Iron Islands and Riverrun where my favorite Jaime scene unfolds where instead of negotiating, he simply has a harp player play 'Rains of Castamere' for Edmure Tully as a warning if he doesn't yield the castle and Blackfish who will also hopefully return as well. Lot of good, few weird changes, but I'm pumped to find out what happens next.

They only have two more seasons of the show and they are going to have to cover 2 rather large (I think it is safe to assume) books. If something from an existing book hasn't been brought up on the show by now, there is no way they are going to have time to bring it up on a later season. Honestly, I don't know how they are going to squeeze the last two books into 20 episodes as it stands now.

They have never stated how many seasons the show will take, so no, they are not confined by just 2 more seasons, although I agree that introducing Stoneheart will not happen.
They have never stated emphatically and definitively that 7 is it for sure...but they have repeatedly said they think 7 is ideal..although the idea of a split/protracted 7th season is also out there.

you can find many articles for D&D state that they want 7. HBO would be fine with 8...maybe even more but they are kinda beholden to D&D if they want only 7...they aren't gonna hand the series over to someone else after 7 especially if they basically conclude it in 7.

here is just one such article:

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons

and of course the cast is signed through 6 seasons with an option for a 7th.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-cast-signs-season-744314
I think the cast is the real reason it will stay at 7, that and I think D&D are tiring. Going for 8 would be probably cost them double on cast and it might feel "mailed in", though probably not. The way they sliced and diced storylines this year I don't see them having any trouble getting 2 seasons in to 2 books. They have cut the Iron Islands almost completely and Dorne is far smaller. There is no Aegon storyline. I mean if you look at the Sample Chapters for WoW that have been released there is very little that would be on the Show. You have a Theon that is irrelevant because he is with Stannis, 2 Ariannes who doesn't exist, a Victarion who doesn't exist, a Barristan who is dead, a Tyrion who is doing something completely different, a Sansa who is in the Vale, and an Arya that kind of appears to have been rolled in to what she did in the Finale. Actually looking at those Sample Chapters really illustrates what a different story the Show and the Books have become. It also makes it even more important that Jon Snow isn't dead, in the Show they have already cut too many other things for Jon Snow to be gone.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
so all these crazy rumors will fester and persist for far longer than they should exactly as the showrunners intend for them to.

Ha! Too true.
Joe Cole
Overall good. The episode flew by. I was hoping for a couple more surprises

I thought Dothraki scene was kind of silly looking. I think it would have looked better to have her surrounded by 20 riders instead of thousands coming out of a mountain like fire ants. I always imagined the Dothraki Sea to be like the Great Plains and this Ireland looking terrain is a far cry from waste of Mereen

I wonder if when GRRM turned the reigns over to D&D, if he was adamant about ending the season with Snow cliffhanger. HBO and GRRM now have everybody where they want them in full anticipation of Snow's fate. Book sales will be up!
Agustus Caesar
AG
The Dothraki sea is similar to the plains, but even the great plains are not entirely flat.
THe Dothraki sea is enormous and encompasses vast terrain, just happens to be mostly grassland for grazing.
The city of Vaes Dothrak is in the foothills of the mother of the mountains
Certainly the area surrounding mereen was a frutiful steppe/mediterranean climate until the last war between Old Ghis and Valyria when the trees and vegetation was poisoned
Edit to say: And we don't know exactly where Dany is in the tv show
agmatt06
AG
So is it pretty fair to say that the only way Westero's survives is if Dany brings the dragons across the sea to battle the WW.

If the last battle with the wildlings showed anything, it's that they humans were overwhelmed pretty easily...and then of course, if you die, you become a WW...

I can see Jon Snow unifying the north, and Dany and Tyrion unifying the rest to fight the WW.
Agustus Caesar
AG

ThE Dothraki Sea is about as large as the southern half of westeros
Ol Jock 99
AG
I really really love how her part ended in the book. Her and Drogo eating a horse when the riders came up. Would've been awesome to see that on screen.
Joe Cole
you are right. I forgot about the mother of mountain bit

still...too many horses pouring out of that mountain though!

jenn96
AG
I've always felt that if Dany invades Westeros with the Dothraki that the Others deserve to win.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Why? How are they any worse than a bunch of dickless losers like the unsullied? (Joking)

But I think that's the appeal of Dany. She is able to go anywhere, and win over the people. I fully expect her to win over Westeros and the Wildlings too.
The Debt
So will Cersei be unloving toward Jaime? Iirc, after his imprisonment he was suppose to be uninterested, but they had him rape her on joffs corpse.

If she is the one saying no, does that make her a more sympathetic character?
The Debt
quote:
Why? How are they any worse than a bunch of dickless losers like the unsullied? (Joking)

But I think that's the appeal of Dany. She is able to go anywhere, and win over the people. I fully expect her to win over Westeros and the Wildlings too.

Except she pissed off the commoners of mereen by killing the killer.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

Eh, I think the show overemphasized how big the Sons of Harpy were. It seemed a lot smaller in the books. They still caused trouble, but it didn't seem like half the people were against her like in the show.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yeah, but she had a huge army at her door and disease ridden refugees in the book too.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eh, I think the show overemphasized how big the Sons of Harpy were. It seemed a lot smaller in the books. They still caused trouble, but it didn't seem like half the people were against her like in the show.
Plus the commoners really liked her for the most part. They were the ones that were set free. It was mostly a few of the nobles and some of the former slaves that were now jobless and liked their previous roles. In Westeros, she won't have to deal with such a huge dynamic change as ending slavery. It's more just about who is in charge now and what they bring to the realm (dragons bring security and peace?).
MSCAg
AG
quote:
So will Cersei be unloving toward Jaime? Iirc, after his imprisonment he was suppose to be uninterested, but they had him rape her on joffs corpse.

If she is the one saying no, does that make her a more sympathetic character?
Never liked how the show went with that, especially when the book basically had it as a consenual act over Joff's corpse and Jamie ultimately is the one that spurns Cersei.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Dany- similar - found by Dothraki, but we know they're friends in the book
As stated by another poster, they ain't her friend in the books. In fact, in the books isn't it her that finds them while flying on Drogon?
No.

Dany is walking alone toward Mereeen, because she cannot convince Drogon to take her.

A single Dothraki scout approaches her, but does not see her. The scout rides away in terror as Drogon approaches on the wing.

Daenerys calls Drogon. He lands, and she mounts him.

Drogon catches and devours a horse.

While Drogon is dining, Khal Jhaqo (former ko of Khal Drogo) and a handful of his riders find them.

Remember that Jorah told her repeatedly that Jhaqo (et al) were no longer her friends. This is the very reason that they fled into the Red Waste. Dany is in a BAD situation.

Ok. I guess I missed which "way too similar" Dothrak name arrived at Dany by that creek. I thought it was her blood riders that tried to follow her from Mereen after she took off. In the show they wrote those friends out.

My bad.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Yeah, but she had a huge army at her door and disease ridden refugees in the book too.

That's true, but isn't the army comprised of slave owners/ their slaves? I always figured the slaves would turn on the army given the chance.

And the the mercenaries with them just fight with who they believe is going to win.
Joe Cole
How far in advance to the show people write the scripts ? Now that they are basically out of material, it seems like the books and show would get further apart unless GRRM has given them a pretty strong outline. and I don't see how he could since he has not written it yet
30_Days
AG
quote:
How far in advance to the show people write the scripts ? Now that they are basically out of material, it seems like the books and show would get further apart unless GRRM has given them a pretty strong outline. and I don't see how he could since he has not written it yet
actually I did read somewhere that even though GRRM hasn't written the next book he HAS given the showrunners an outline of events in case he doesn't finish or something happens to him
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
actually I did read somewhere that even though GRRM hasn't written the next book he HAS given the showrunners an outline of events in case he doesn't finish or something happens to him
Plus if he is within a year of publishing book 6, they could potentially use a lot of the book material if he shares it as he goes.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Plus if he is within a year of publishing book 6, they could potentially use a lot of the book material if he shares it as he goes.
Most everyone expects Book 6 before next season of the tv show. If that's the case, he has to have most of it written by now.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
new ratings record for GOT finale 8.1 million.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/game-of-thrones-season-5-finale-beats-shows-previous-ratings-record
KidDoc
AG
quote:
When they first started shooting they went on a retreat with GRRM and went through the major story arcs. So they know how it ends.

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-creators-know-how-show-will-end-2015-4
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
G Martin 87
AG
I'm going to guess that the book release is timed to coincide exactly with the start of Season 6. That should maximize sales for both the book and HBO. No inside knowledge, but that's what I'd do if I were GRRM.
redline248
AG
quote:
I'm going to guess that the book release is timed to coincide exactly with the start of Season 6. That should maximize sales for both the book and HBO. No inside knowledge, but that's what I'd do if I were GRRM.
Isn't that essentially what he did with Dance with Dragons and season 1?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Isn't that essentially what he did with Dance with Dragons and season 1?
No...series started in April 2011 and finished in mid June.....DWD was released in July 2011.

but anyway those aren't really closely related....i mean plots of those were far apart at the time.

jenn96
AG
I will be astonished - really and truly shocked - if book 6 is published before season 6 starts. GRRM hasn't met a deadline on this series in over 10 years. I think he would like to finish it for early 2016 publication - and I know his editors and publishers would really like it - I just don't see it happening.

Here's to hoping though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
I will be astonished - really and truly shocked - if book 6 is published before season 6 starts. GRRM hasn't met a deadline on this series in over 10 years. I think he would like to finish it for early 2016 publication - and I know his editors and publishers would really like it - I just don't see it happening.

Here's to hoping though.

Well his original deadline was like three years ago, so hopefully he is done *****footing around.
Counterpoint
AG
Look at all the crap he's doing instead of writing WoW. From his blog...
quote:
Things are getting hectic here. I am doing what I hope is the final round of editing on HIGH STAKES, the new Wild Cards mosaic novel, in hopes of delivering that one to the good folks (and they are) at Tor before I take off for Europe.

On Thursday, we're off to Germany. I have a big event in Hamburg, and Sibel Kekilli has promised to show me her city... seeing as how I showed her Santa Fe a few months ago, it's only fair. From there I'll be flying to Sweden for a few days in Stockholm, then taking a ferry to the Aland Islands for my long-planned appearance as GOG at Archipelacon.

I will try to post a few more details about the trip before we fly off.

bangobango
AG
Well, I would think the difference in book sales pre-season six and post-season six would be a significant motivator to step up the pace. I know for me personally, if the book doesn't come out before season six, then I probably won't buy it new. I have to imagine there's several hundred thousand, if not million, more folks of like-mind.
OnlyForNow
AG
I won't buy it at all. I'll get it off a torrent for books.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
Things are getting hectic here. ...

I am a big fan of the ASOIAF books. As I read this post about Martin doing ANYTHING other than working on the next book in the series, I said to myself "I wonder if ANYONE has ANY interest in ANYTHING else this guy might be doing?" Then I asked myself whether he has written anything else worth reading.

I ran a search and saw that Martin wrote Sandkings. I read it as a kid, and I have spent the last thirty years thinking Stephen King was the author. It is perhaps my favorite short story of all time, and I must rank it higher than ASOIAF. (Critics seem to agree, as it won both the Hugo and Nebula awards.)

I am now duly chastised. As long as he is writing SOMETHING, I will give Martin a break.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
Things are getting hectic here. I am doing what I hope is the final round of editing on HIGH STAKES, the new Wild Cards mosaic novel, in hopes of delivering that one to the good folks (and they are) at Tor before I take off for Europe.

On Thursday, we're off to Germany. I have a big event in Hamburg, and Sibel Kekilli has promised to show me her city... seeing as how I showed her Santa Fe a few months ago, it's only fair. From there I'll be flying to Sweden for a few days in Stockholm, then taking a ferry to the Aland Islands for my long-planned appearance as GOG at Archipelacon.

To be fair, he did announce awhile back that he was cancelling some events, trips, appearances, etc. later in the year (Oct/Nov) UNLESS he finishes WoW. That's somewhat promising.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.