**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,258 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Greeze06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who went to Dorne in the books as part of the kings guard and attacked Mercella?

They could be blending that storyline.
JJxvi
AG
Ser Arys Oakheart went to protect Myrcella. Arianne Martell of the books did not want to take revenge on the girl, but wanted to use her to go to war with the Lannisters by making her a rival claimant for the throne. When their plan was foiled, Darkstar tried to kill her to start the war anyway on his own.
Thunder18
AG
Ser Aerys Oakheart was the member of the Kingsguard sworn to protect Myrcella in Dorne in the books. He was sent with her in the show, but they have really done nothing with his character and since Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne I would be pretty surprised if they introduce or revisit his character, but who knows
Al Bula
AG
I'm hoping Bronn doesn't get killed in place of Arys Oakheart.
aggie93
AG
Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the changes for the most part. It just became really apparent to me how much they are changing to the point where every storyline and scene seems to have at least a couple deviations now or is completely made up. I don't think they have a choice for logistical reasons but it is dangerous as the story becomes less Martin's and more D&D's. Small changes have ripples and when you have so many changes it will push them in to corners.

At the same time though you can see the challenges. They are trying to tell so many stories at once and it is really tough to do with only a few minutes of screen time per week for each story.
OnlyForNow
AG
I would bet that Bronn does take Oakheart's place and dies in Dorne.
RedbeardAG
AG
I feel like the NIghtswatch elections were rushed and unbelievable. There wasn't anything showing them building support for John over an amount of time, or anything showing why all of these men would vote for a 20 year old kid over an experienced guy. Doesn't help that they killed all of Johns friends last season.
JJxvi
AG
Ned Stark would be proud of Dany's resolution with the masters and the slaves.
rhutton125
AG
So there was Aerys Oakheart, and a different Kingsguard sent to deliver the skull of the Mountain to Prince Doran. Can't remember his name (they're all pretty spare).

So either Jaime and Bronn take the place of the spare delivery guy... and/or Bronn takes the place of Aerys and dies.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
So there was Aerys Oakheart, and a different Kingsguard sent to deliver the skull of the Mountain to Prince Doran. Can't remember his name (they're all pretty spare).

So either Jaime and Bronn take the place of the spare delivery guy... and/or Bronn takes the place of Aerys and dies.
You're correct, it looks like Balon Swann delivered the Mountain's head to Dorne.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, Jaime and Bronn are basically taking the role of Balon Swann who is nobody we've seen at all in the show. Bronn's only role through DWD is only being involved in political squabbles with Cersei because she's anti-anyone-whos-associated-with-Tyrion. Jaime is only supposed be on a bunch of useless irrelevant missions who's sole purpose is to have him meet up with Brienne in a cliffhanger showdown the riverlands at the end of DWD.
AustinAg2K
quote:
Ned Stark would be proud of Dany's resolution with the masters and the slaves.
No, Ned would not be pleased because she didn't swing the sword.
JJxvi
AG
Ha. True.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Decent episode but they are playing a dangerous game. There was more new content that is outside of the books in that episode than there were things consistent with the books. That's fine but they are essentially saying they know better than Martin with that many changes.

Martin has done plenty to get readers to accept the show as its own worthy version of the stories he started, and Benioff and Weiss have said they know the ending and that they're all meeting at the same place.

So can we stop all the "who do these guys think they are making all these changes" whining? It has been discussed ad nauseam, but somehow people haven't accepted that as of this season your precious book knowledge is done helping you with the show.

I loved not recognizing most of what happened in last night's episode. It was great not knowing what was coming for the first time in years.
AustinAg2K
I might be in the minority, but I like that they are starting to stay away from the books. One of my big concerns is that the TV show will end up spoiling stuff from the upcoming books. If the TV writers were to stick close to the book, then anything knew would likely be something Martin told them would happen. With the writers straying from the books, it makes it more likely that they will write their own material for the ending.

As for Bronn, I agree that he will most likely die in Dorne. I've read several things that say a major character will die in the TV show, who did not die (at least not yet) in the books. I think it will be Bronn. Also, Martin has said there will be a major twist in the books that can't possibly happen in the show because of choices the TV writers have already made. I think Bronn will come back in the books at some point (he's too good of a character to be done with) in Winds of Winter.
redline248
AG
So, after the Brienne encounter with Littlefinger and Sansa, she told Podrick she saw them riding on the east road. I'm certain that is a decoy by LF and Brienne will end up on another wild goose chase.
redline248
AG
Here's a quick question related to complaints about books 4/5:

Which is worse, the time spent following Quentyn around only to have him die or having Ned Stark killed in book 1 before anyone knew Martin's style?
Post removed:
by user
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Quentyn's story is worse than having a three-way with Patchface and Rorge.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Here's a quick question related to complaints about books 4/5:

Which is worse, the time spent following Quentyn around only to have him die or having Ned Stark killed in book 1 before anyone knew Martin's style?
Quentyn's mission and its consequences may still prove to be important, even though Quentyn himself is out of the picture. We simply do not yet know. I found Quentyn to be boring, so it did not bother me in the least to see him toasted.

I was annoyed when Ned was killed. Looking back, it would have been interesting in the following books to have seen a character with a stick that far up his .....
aggie93
AG
quote:
quote:
Decent episode but they are playing a dangerous game. There was more new content that is outside of the books in that episode than there were things consistent with the books. That's fine but they are essentially saying they know better than Martin with that many changes.

Martin has done plenty to get readers to accept the show as its own worthy version of the stories he started, and Benioff and Weiss have said they know the ending and that they're all meeting at the same place.

So can we stop all the "who do these guys think they are making all these changes" whining? It has been discussed ad nauseam, but somehow people haven't accepted that as of this season your precious book knowledge is done helping you with the show.

I loved not recognizing most of what happened in last night's episode. It was great not knowing what was coming for the first time in years.
I said I understood it would happen and am fine with it. I'm just surprised at how much they are diverting now, even with things that don't really matter. I'm not a book purist I just was making a comment. They have to make choices and change things but it all has risks.

I guess part of what brought it home to me was I have a group of folks at work that we have lunch together on Monday's to discuss the show. I'm the only reader of the group and I don't spoil anything. They pointed out several things in the last two episodes though that are changes from the books that they didn't like and didn't make sense. For instance Dany making a big deal about killing the guy without a trial and then executing THAT guy without a trial. You can justify it by saying he admitted his guilt but it is still a poorly thought out storyline that isn't in the book.

I also glanced over at the TV only thread just to see what they are seeing and they are having a discussion about how they were wondering what happened to the Brotherhood Without Banners and how cool they were. Makes you think that the decision to go away from Lady Stoneheart (if that is the case) was a mistake.

I still love the show and think of it as a different animal than the books. I'm just commenting that some of the changes I like and some I do not or that they are risky to the overall story.
rhutton125
AG
I like the show and tend to enjoy it more than the books... But they are both pretty even at times. When I think of the books, I think or the long stretches of nothingness and meandering (a la AFFC and Brienne). But when I think of the show, I shouldn't forget the awful subplots like Dany's season 2 and Stannis's season 3&4. Bran season 4. That kind of thing.

The show and book won't always fire on all cylinders but that happens when there are this many characters.
Greeze06
AG
The decision to drop stoneheart and show beric and not add to it is awful.

Those were some great reading chapters in the books that I always looked forward to.
Snake Jazz
I concur that abandoning the Stoneheart plotline is an awful decision. I'm okay with them streamlining and condensing the storyline (I hated the Greyjoy plotline in the book), but Stoneheart was the most interesting and exciting part of the books to me. After all that the Stark family has been through, I wanted to see the Freys get what was coming to them. Very disappointed that it appears they're just going to pretend like it didn't happen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wild theory of the day:

The lord of light guys will come across The Hound's corpse and will revive him, and Sansa and Littlefinger will come across him. Zombie Hound will then become Sansa's personal undead knight and she will take vengeance on everyone.
JonSnow
So why would Sansa ask Briena to become her permanent bodyguard. Should obviously would be up to the challenge.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Wild theory of the day:

The lord of light guys will come across The Hound's corpse and will revive him, and Sansa and Littlefinger will come across him. Zombie Hound will then become Sansa's personal undead knight and she will take vengeance on everyone.
interesting...instead of Lady Stoneheart we get Mr. Stonehound...i've always been skeptical of the fact that we never saw the hound actually die, just left for dead....nor did we know for sure in the books he is dead. so it could be.
Saxsoon
AG
The fact that Lady Stoneheart existed got me to read the books as it seemed a little too straight medieval without the fantasy/magic when I first heard about ASOIAF. That and Arya becoming a faceless assassin.
JJxvi
AG
Maybe I missed this...but I don't remember the show discussing Gregor Clegane since Cersei allowed Qyburn to try and save him, but Qyburn noted that it may "change" him....so why is someone on the TV show thread saying that they sent his head to Dorne?
PMD03
AG
I don't remember the show saying they were sending the head. I doubt the Lannisters in the show would do that after getting the viper care package with Marcella's pendant.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Maybe I missed this...but I don't remember the show discussing Gregor Clegane since Cersei allowed Qyburn to try and save him, but Qyburn noted that it may "change" him....so why is someone on the TV show thread saying that they sent his head to Dorne?
That was me. I may be mistaken. The Lannisters may have just promised to do so.
JJxvi
AG
If you post over there, you shouldn't be trying to connect dots for people over there even if they had shown it.
OnlyForNow
AG
In the scene when Cersi visits Qyburn, he is under the sheet. Frankenstien-esque
JJxvi
AG
Way to double down over there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.